Why are modern shooters so melee heavy these days?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

Every frigging new shooter I play seems to have such poor gunplay that everyone just ends up using their melee weapon. Bad Company 2 really pisses me off because when you're close to the enemy, all that will happen is you knife eachother. This is because the game locks you both into an animation, once it happens then you can't get out of it. So you could be standing 10ft away from eachother and you lunge forward instantly at a press of a button. It is just an instant no skill kill and people only do it because the gunplay is so poor. In real life that would never happen,  you'd much rather use your gun when up against someone with a gun or any weapon. You don't see soldiers running about knifing eachother for example and the Japanese didn't do so well with bayonets. 

COD is another game that has got this melee I win button that locks you both into this stupid animation. At least this game has better close combat gunplay so you tend to use your gun more, however it still is so melee heavy. Then you have Halo which the guns are so weak every kill is normally ended with you hitting them with your gun as a melee weapon or that big sword thing. Gears of War is another game that usually ends up with a chainsaw or hitting them with your gun to knock them down.

I just hate it because I bought the game to use guns, that is what I want from a shooter and not a beat em up. 

Counter Strike does it perfectly where you have to switch to your knife and it takes time, you don't press a button and instantly kill them. So you always want to use all the ammo in your gun and then switch to your pistol after. If you're all out of ammo then you switch to the knife as a last resort. Some people knife eachother in duals for fun but they're only done for a laugh. Then you get the knife kills when you sneak up on someone, however you have to walk slowly so they don't hear your footsteps and if they turn around, you're dead. In COD or BFBC2 you can't hear footsteps like that and that quick melee button just means you can run straight upto them and knife them, even if they're looking at you. That is not how a knife in a shooter should work! 

Just wish games would take notes from how it is done in Counter Strike, rather than frigging Halo.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Burns098356GX

I wish MW2 would instantly kill them. Most of the time it launched me past my target, and my target turns around and knifes me...

FML.

Seriously, I think its just to add something else other than run and gun.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Capum15

...I can hear footsteps fine in CoD4 and MW2. Hell, it's practically the main sense my friend uses when he plays. I'll be watching, he'll stop moving around for a second, turn around and blast a dude running into the room and go "I heard him coming."

I, to a way lesser extent, can kind of do that. I know that someone's around, but can't pinpoint like he can.

Egg0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Egg0

Knives shouldn't make you run faster either, yet...
Alphawolfy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Alphawolfy

I dunno, I don't actually see many people knifing in BFBC2. Usually if I knife, the other guy doesn't. Plus, the knifing animation is pretty slow, so the only times I get knifed is when they sneak up from behind me.  And how is the gameplay "poor"?
I guess it comes down to personal preference; in MW2 the only thing that annoys me about knives is that you can lunge really far with commando. 

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By bjorno

SLAPPERS ONLY

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By jmrwacko
@bjorno said:
" SLAPPERS ONLY "
Oh god stop, bad memories.
Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Three0neFive

I know I'm going to get alot of shit for this, but to put it bluntly it's because of consoles. Gunplay in console shooters, simply because of the way analog sticks work, is much sloppier then if you were to use a mouse/keyboard. Since developers have realized console gaming is much more profitable than on the PC (due to popularity as well as other reasons I'm not going to get into here), they design their games around dual-analog control, and use a buffed melee system to help make the game flow better on a gamepad.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By emkeighcameron

Knives are fine.

Downsize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Downsize

In Modern Warfare 2, what about the times when you chase some fool for 10+ feet and attempt a stab with a melee and miss, only having then turn right around and kniving you instead.  Argh!

Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Nasos100

Noone likes counter strike, its dated as hell

Downsize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Downsize
@Nasos100:@Nasos100 said:
" Noone likes counter strike, its dated as hell "
Except it's still the #1 FPS played online game to date.  Played worldwide. <<Fact
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

@Egg0 said:
" Knives shouldn't make you run faster either, yet... "
The idea is you can run faster without carrying a gun.
Downsize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Downsize
@PapaLazarou said:
" @Egg0 said:
The idea is you can run faster without carrying a gun. "
Yepper.
tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By tunaburn

i gotta say in bad company i never get knifed unless they come up behind. the knifing isnt easy enough in that game. call of duty people use the stupid knife attachment and knife from across the room though.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Marz

I think the problem is that these games just let you press a button for a instant kill.  A better solution would be to put in some power gauge, quick example... fast button press will do a faster but non deadly strike, while holding the button will charge up a more powerful thrust that will one shot someone.  Therefore it takes a bit more coordination than a press and win button.

Avatar image for deactivated-589b97df1f8d4
deactivated-589b97df1f8d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, melee attackes have been around for a long time but I think what gave it , its momentum is Halo: Combat Evolved, could be wrong though.
Avatar image for deactivated-589b97df1f8d4
deactivated-589b97df1f8d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, melee attackes have been around for a long time but I think what gave it , its momentum is Halo: Combat Evolved, could be wrong though.
Rizla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Rizla

This is my only problem with mw2, the commando perk seems like it should be a deathstreak. Im perfectly cool with regular knife distance and the shield damage, however i just feel cheated whenever i get knifed by commando. I feel that it was a perk putin for the casual because even if i shoot you point blank with my shotgun if you already pressed knife it wont stop you, you will fly through it and kill me. 

mattbosten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By mattbosten

The thing that unbalances melee in MW2 is the Commando perk as the attack lunge becomes huge. I kind of wish that the melee attack and damage would we dependant on the gun; 
Pistols would pistol whip, any other gun else would hit the enemy with the butt of the gun, both for half damage. 
A 'stab' would only be available on guns with a tactical knife or a gun with a mounted knife, these would do full damage. 

As for the commando perk, remove the increase in attack range and replace it with either a faster attack or a mark ability that makes an enemy appear on a team's radar for a specific amount of time. 

HODGEY3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HODGEY3000

becuase knives are cool.
Jhriad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jhriad
@PapaLazarou said:
Halo
You answered your own question.  Halo:CE was the progenitor of what we now know as the modern FPS, particularly on consoles.  Increased emphasis on melee should be attributed to the success of the Halo franchise.  Halo has since passed the torch of modernization onto other franchises.  Not that Halo isn't still melee heavy, far too much so actually (IMO), it's simply been behind the curve on new, "modern" FPS features for some time now.
Zao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Zao

the knife in counterstrike was pointless it was a last resort? i find the knife has become more satisfying to use over time. watch onlyusemyblade on youtube it will show the skill of useing it effectively.
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@quantumshift5 said:
" Well, melee attackes have been around for a long time but I think what gave it , its momentum is Halo: Combat Evolved, could be wrong though. "
I feel like this is probably the right response. 

Melee attacks have always been prevalent in games, but Halo incorporated it into the core mechanics where other shooters at the time (and dated shooters we see even today) had melee weapons as a single, separate piece of equipment.  

I have to say that I prefer it the Halo way, with melee as a command rather than a specialized weapon. More streamlined this way. 
Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Halo has great melee combat, everything else, meh

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By keyhunter

Melee in Halo feels right because everyone is in heavily armored super suits with energy shields.
That and the chief is a 7 foot tall super human with enhanced punching abilities.

As for COD and battlefield, I agree, knifing is totally non impractical and stupid.
Not many people die from a single stab of a knife.
People get stabbed all the time in this world. Most survive. Many get stabbed dozens of times before they go down.
Now try stabbing someone with a gun. Chances are if you're jamming a knife into their stomach, they're dropping a cap in your dome.
They might die of a stomach wound after two days without medical attention.

thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By thecleric

On shit like Halo it seems like the only way to get a kill with any of the starter weapons due to the ridiculous recharging weapons. 

Seriously, if you have to unload a clip to kill someone in Lost Planet then you have to unload 2 to kill someone in Halo.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By WickedCobra03
@PapaLazarou said:
" @Egg0 said:
The idea is you can run faster without carrying a gun. "
Knives should make you run faster period.  Come on, if Counter-strike says so 10+ years ago, it has to be true.  But yeah, I think I heard back when that that was the point of the knives was to put the gun on your back or whatever.  I thought it was a cool idea.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ryanwho

Because its easier than actual innovation, which shooter Luddites aren't looking for.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#31  Edited By beargirl1
@bjorno said:
" SLAPPERS ONLY "
i lol'd 
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By Whisperkill

I like the melee system in Halo.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By kashif1
@AjayRaz said:
" @bjorno said:
" SLAPPERS ONLY "
i lol'd  "
i dont get it
kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By kashif1
@PapaLazarou: play metal gear online, it has the kind of melee system you want.
damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By damodar
@keyhunter said:
" Melee in Halo feels right because everyone is in heavily armored super suits with energy shields. That and the chief is a 7 foot tall super human with enhanced punching abilities.  As for COD and battlefield, I agree, knifing is totally non impractical and stupid. Not many people die from a single stab of a knife.People get stabbed all the time in this world. Most survive. Many get stabbed dozens of times before they go down. Now try stabbing someone with a gun. Chances are if you're jamming a knife into their stomach, they're dropping a cap in your dome. They might die of a stomach wound after two days without medical attention. "

Most people aren't stabbed by trained armed forces. Those guys know stabbin'
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jimbo

IRL you have ~180 degree FOV, but in an FPS you only have about ~80 degrees.  It's unrealistically difficult to figure out where somebody is when they're right next to you, so point-blank gun combat in FPS has always been garbage.  Console controls make this problem even worse.  Slightly bullshit melee attacks are better than the alternative, which is people strafing around each other for ages trying to see each other.

Besides, no part of a run & gun shooter is even close to how IRL soldiers would behave, so calling the melee combat unrealistic isn't much of an argument.