In some previous blog light years before this one...or maybe it was a forum post...I mentioned that I'm terrible at beating games. It's not that I CAN'T beat them. It's that I get sidetracked far too easily. With League of Legends coming into my life and filling that post-WoW-addiction void, it seemed like there wouldn't be much console time for me. Of course, I'm on my third playthrough of Dead Space 2 now (Zealot, going for Hardcore after that)...and I also had no problem playing through the entirety of Enslaved once. It makes me think "what are all these other games doing wrong?" For those interested, here's a list of the games in my drawer right now that I have yet to actually beat:
- Halo: Reach
- Call of Duty: Black Ops
- Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
- Fallout New Vegas
- Final Fantasy XIII
- Crackdown 2
- Dirt 2
- Just Cause 2
- Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
- Metro 2033
- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
Like...seriously, folks. I STILL HAVEN'T BEATEN THE FORCE UNLEASHED 2! Why not? Well, funny enough, I think I've compiled a rather comprehensive list finally of just why this is happening. If you will:
- Cut it out with the fucking long burn start-offs!!! Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow are the two biggest troublemakers in this category, as the beginnings of the game seem like they take FOR-EH-VER to get going. By the time they do, I'm already a bit bored with the mechanics at hand and just want the single player to finally be over.
- Quit having such compelling and excellent goddamn multiplayer modes!!! Did you know that it's actually not difficult to find multiplayer matches Singularity? Yes, you read that right: SINGULARITY! The majority of these games all have multiplayer components, and those multiplayer components are kinda fucking awesome. If you keep making these incredibly deep multiplayer experience where I feel like a thoroughbred badass, how the fuck am I EVER going to finish the single player?
- Make your games a bit less convoluted and a lot more interesting!!! Crackdown 2 has been in my 360, but it was nowhere near as gripping as the original Crackdown for me, and Metro 2033 just isn't grabbing me like I had hoped it would. Hell, Just Cause 2 is a game where I just wanna blow shit up, not go through some dumb fucking story. Seriously, make things a bit simpler in terms of story and scope, and I might be more interested.
- Make a better game!!! Force Unleashed II, you are so short...and yet I cannot even be bothered to finish you. Seriously, what a fucking disappointment.
- You're a fucking RPG!!! Final Fantasy XIII, Fallout New Vegas...just...goddamn, there's too much shit to even THINK about doing.
So now that we are a month past the holiday season, how many of you are finding the games just piling up? Is there a sense of dread coming over you that there will be games you still haven't touched come March or so? Are the new releases from the beginning of this year going to be holding you back from notching out that long list?