Why Can't I Finish A Game? Part Deux

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Edited By jakob187

In some previous blog light years before this one...or maybe it was a forum post...I mentioned that I'm terrible at beating games.  It's not that I CAN'T beat them.  It's that I get sidetracked far too easily.  With League of Legends coming into my life and filling that post-WoW-addiction void, it seemed like there wouldn't be much console time for me.  Of course, I'm on my third playthrough of Dead Space 2 now (Zealot, going for Hardcore after that)...and I also had no problem playing through the entirety of Enslaved once.  It makes me think "what are all these other games doing wrong?"  For those interested, here's a list of the games in my drawer right now that I have yet to actually beat: 

Like...seriously, folks.  I STILL HAVEN'T BEATEN THE FORCE UNLEASHED 2!  Why not?  Well, funny enough, I think I've compiled a rather comprehensive list finally of just why this is happening.  If you will: 
  1. Cut it out with the fucking long burn start-offs!!!  Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow are the two biggest troublemakers in this category, as the beginnings of the game seem like they take FOR-EH-VER to get going.  By the time they do, I'm already a bit bored with the mechanics at hand and just want the single player to finally be over.
  2. Quit having such compelling and excellent goddamn multiplayer modes!!!  Did you know that it's actually not difficult to find multiplayer matches Singularity?  Yes, you read that right:  SINGULARITY!  The majority of these games all have multiplayer components, and those multiplayer components are kinda fucking awesome.  If you keep making these incredibly deep multiplayer experience where I feel like a thoroughbred badass, how the fuck am I EVER going to finish the single player?
  3. Make your games a bit less convoluted and a lot more interesting!!!  Crackdown 2 has been in my 360, but it was nowhere near as gripping as the original Crackdown for me, and Metro 2033 just isn't grabbing me like I had hoped it would.  Hell, Just Cause 2 is a game where I just wanna blow shit up, not go through some dumb fucking story.  Seriously, make things a bit simpler in terms of story and scope, and I might be more interested.
  4. Make a better game!!!  Force Unleashed II, you are so short...and yet I cannot even be bothered to finish you.  Seriously, what a fucking disappointment.
  5. You're a fucking RPG!!!  Final Fantasy XIII, Fallout New Vegas...just...goddamn, there's too much shit to even THINK about doing.

So now that we are a month past the holiday season, how many of you are finding the games just piling up?  Is there a sense of dread coming over you that there will be games you still haven't touched come March or so?  Are the new releases from the beginning of this year going to be holding you back from notching out that long list?
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jakob187

In some previous blog light years before this one...or maybe it was a forum post...I mentioned that I'm terrible at beating games.  It's not that I CAN'T beat them.  It's that I get sidetracked far too easily.  With League of Legends coming into my life and filling that post-WoW-addiction void, it seemed like there wouldn't be much console time for me.  Of course, I'm on my third playthrough of Dead Space 2 now (Zealot, going for Hardcore after that)...and I also had no problem playing through the entirety of Enslaved once.  It makes me think "what are all these other games doing wrong?"  For those interested, here's a list of the games in my drawer right now that I have yet to actually beat: 

Like...seriously, folks.  I STILL HAVEN'T BEATEN THE FORCE UNLEASHED 2!  Why not?  Well, funny enough, I think I've compiled a rather comprehensive list finally of just why this is happening.  If you will: 
  1. Cut it out with the fucking long burn start-offs!!!  Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow are the two biggest troublemakers in this category, as the beginnings of the game seem like they take FOR-EH-VER to get going.  By the time they do, I'm already a bit bored with the mechanics at hand and just want the single player to finally be over.
  2. Quit having such compelling and excellent goddamn multiplayer modes!!!  Did you know that it's actually not difficult to find multiplayer matches Singularity?  Yes, you read that right:  SINGULARITY!  The majority of these games all have multiplayer components, and those multiplayer components are kinda fucking awesome.  If you keep making these incredibly deep multiplayer experience where I feel like a thoroughbred badass, how the fuck am I EVER going to finish the single player?
  3. Make your games a bit less convoluted and a lot more interesting!!!  Crackdown 2 has been in my 360, but it was nowhere near as gripping as the original Crackdown for me, and Metro 2033 just isn't grabbing me like I had hoped it would.  Hell, Just Cause 2 is a game where I just wanna blow shit up, not go through some dumb fucking story.  Seriously, make things a bit simpler in terms of story and scope, and I might be more interested.
  4. Make a better game!!!  Force Unleashed II, you are so short...and yet I cannot even be bothered to finish you.  Seriously, what a fucking disappointment.
  5. You're a fucking RPG!!!  Final Fantasy XIII, Fallout New Vegas...just...goddamn, there's too much shit to even THINK about doing.

So now that we are a month past the holiday season, how many of you are finding the games just piling up?  Is there a sense of dread coming over you that there will be games you still haven't touched come March or so?  Are the new releases from the beginning of this year going to be holding you back from notching out that long list?
Laughlin_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Laughlin_12

I completely agree with #1. Games nowadays just take too long to get going. Mostly because of tutorials, which should be an option. 

Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Portis

1. Cut it out with the fucking long burn start-offs!!!  Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow are the two biggest troublemakers in this category, as the beginnings of the game seem like they take FOR-EH-VER to get going.  By the time they do, I'm already a bit bored with the mechanics at hand and just want the single player to finally be over

This. This. Fucking this.
TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheFreeMan

Can't agree more with #1. AC2 and AC:B both felt like it took hours upon hours just to get going and for the game to stop holding my hand. Which is something I really appreciate in Dead Space 2-it's maybe two minutes before you're let loose and you just go, and maybe ten minutes after that pretty much all tutorial and equipment-introductions are done. It was very refreshing.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Claude

I have problems when finishing games when it comes to Bosses. I'm still on the final boss in Batman: Arkham Asylum and Darksiders. I keep thinking, what's the payoff? I don't like end bosses very much. Some end bosses are easier for me than others, but some are hard fought. 

I can do this. I can do it.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Seedofpower
@jakob187 said:  
Make a better game!!!
With more skill?
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By CL60
@Claude said:
" I have problems when finishing games when it comes to Bosses. I'm still on the final boss in Batman: Arkham Asylum and Darksiders. I keep thinking, what's the payoff? I don't like end bosses very much. Some end bosses are easier for me than others, but some are hard fought.   I can do this. I can do it. "
Go do Batman Arkham Asylum!

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By Sooperspy

i have many games in my back-log. InFamous, God of War 1, 2, Plants vs Zombies, a bunch of PSN games, etc.
I also agree with #1.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By kingzetta

The only ones you really should beat are  Singularity  and AC:brotherhood.
The rest rest are pretty unfulfilling actually.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I am bad about this, too. In fact, I have Castlevania from GameFly and haven't played it since October! My worst habit is starting a game, not playing for long time, and then starting it over. I've done this twice now with Final Fantasy XII, and I might be doing it with Final Fantasy XIII. There are just so many games! I want to play the new releases when they come out, but it just creates a larger backlog of unfinished games. I think I will make a list of games I've started that I need to beat before getting into anything else.  

Edit: Buuuut I need to play Bulletstorm and Killzone 3 when they come out! Hopefully I can beat a few games by the time they're released later this month...

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By elko84
@Vito_Raliffe said:
" I am bad about this, too. In fact, I have Castlevania from GameFly and haven't played it since October! My worst habit is starting a game, not playing for long time, and then starting it over. I've done this twice now with Final Fantasy XII, and I might be doing it with Final Fantasy XIII. There are just so many games! I want to play the new releases when they come out, but it just creates a larger backlog of unfinished games. I think I will make a list of games I've started that I need to beat before getting into anything else.  "
I've tried that too, never works.  I think I just need to start alphabetically at the top of my list of backlog games and go straight down the line.
mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By mosdl

Steam says I've spent 19 hours in Just Cause, but I've only completed like 3-4 story missions.  Random mayhem is more fun.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jakob187
@Vito_Raliffe: Yeah, Bulletstorm is on my "to get" list.  I would've added Dragon Age 1 on my list of "games I haven't beaten yet"...but I don't really like the game, so that's the reason it's holding me back.
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Skald

I don't have a problem with the beginning of most of my games, it's the middle where I start to lose interest. Red Dead Redemption and Limbo especially. 

Also, ACB's multiplayer is way too awesome for it's own good.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By DystopiaX

An easy solution is to get less money...I mean damn you bought hella games recently. Wish I could afford to. Being able to only afford 1 game every 2-3 months or so means that you can only pick the best games and stick with them no matter what. It's not a suffering thing; if you don't have options I find it's much easier to finish a game.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16  Edited By JJWeatherman

I like that you not only use exclamation points once, but THRICE! It clearly depicted your rage in a way that one exclamation point never could. 

As for myself, I don't buy games very often, so I play and beat them all. Slowly and surely at times, but it happens eventually.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The AC games do take way too long to get going, especially in the sequels. There should be more skipable tutorials in games.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EVO

The moment you start making yourself finish a game, that's when they're no longer fun. Games aren't supposed to be a chore.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Klei

They don't entertain you up to the finish because you don't find these games particularly appealing. That's ALL . 

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By iam3green

i have a crapload of games that i never got to beat. i still haven't beaten the first assassins creed. it just stays on my shelf for no reason. there are other games that i haven't beat.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By ISuperGamerI
@Laughlin_12 said:
" I completely agree with #1. Games nowadays just take too long to get going. Mostly because of tutorials, which should be an option.  "
I have to agree with this statement as well as the fact that there are way too many new games releasing at the same time, it's difficult to play and beat all of them.
tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By tourgen

Man, I don't know, maybe buy fewer games, and only buy good ones.  There's some garbage on that list for sure.  Trade them in and get 1 or 2 good games that are worth your time.  You don't have to play everything that comes out.  Pick out games that have something special in them or that have a setting or story or game mode that really appeals to you.  I guess in general just play less crap.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187 said:

YES.  My God, I almost sold my copy of AC:Brotherhood to a friend for 45 bucks because of the start-up of that game.  I'm DAMN glad I didn't though, once you get through it it is fucking great.
gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By gamb1t
@Portis said:
"

1. Cut it out with the fucking long burn start-offs!!!  Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow are the two biggest troublemakers in this category, as the beginnings of the game seem like they take FOR-EH-VER to get going.  By the time they do, I'm already a bit bored with the mechanics at hand and just want the single player to finally be over

This. This. Fucking this. "
CLOSE THREAD AND STICKY THIS
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jakob187
@iam3green said:

" i have a crapload of games that i never got to beat. i still haven't beaten the first assassins creed. it just stays on my shelf for no reason. there are other games that i haven't beat. "

You should let the first AC continue to sit on the shelf...of a Gamestop...after you sold it to them...because that game was pretty much ass. 

@tourgen: I should point out that a LOT of the games on that list were on sale for a crazy amount.  For instance, at least five of those games were $20 a pop because Blockbuster had their liquidation sale, and $20 now instead of $60 is definitely worth it.  Some of those were also from Black Friday of last year, which meant I got them super cheap also. 

In general, though, I always have a ton of games that I'm playing at any given time.  I'm pretty sure that Stacking is about get added to the list, and I also forgot to mention Need for Speed Hot Pursuit on the list in my OP. 

...plus...I play League of Legends.  That's killing a lot of shit for me because of just how goddamn addicting it is.
timmysprinkles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By timmysprinkles
We need more games like VVVVVV or Alan Wake. They weren't long games, but they were really damn good.
Bananstativ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bananstativ

I have never completed a Rockstar game, ever. In these games in particular there is always an annoying repetitive factor that bores me too much to make me want to see the end credits.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jakob187
@Bananstativ: I've beaten Red Dead Redemption, Red Dead Revolver, and the first three GTA games.  Beyond that, I don't really have any ambition to beat the others.
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By jkz

I can't bring myself to put back in Dead Space 2 and beat it. 

So there's that...

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JJWeatherman
@jakob187 said:
" @Bananstativ: I've beaten Red Dead Redemption, Red Dead Revolver, and the first three GTA games.  Beyond that, I don't really have any ambition to beat the others. "
When you say first three, do you mean 1, 2 and 3? or 3, Vice City, SA? If you really beat 1 and 2 and not the others, I'd be prepared to call you crazy.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jakob187
@JJWeatherman said:
" @jakob187 said:
" @Bananstativ: I've beaten Red Dead Redemption, Red Dead Revolver, and the first three GTA games.  Beyond that, I don't really have any ambition to beat the others. "
When you say first three, do you mean 1, 2 and 3? or 3, Vice City, SA? If you really beat 1 and 2 and not the others, I'd be prepared to call you crazy. "
I mean the first three GTA games.  I hated Vice City with a passion and never wanted to finish it, San Andreas just had too much of an open world that I got lost in and never got around to actually beating it, and my love for GTA IV quickly wore off the more that I realized how clunky and shitty that game really is. 
Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By the_hiro_abides

Well I have a similar problem as of late but at least games aren't putting you to sleep. Like me. 

I use Gamefly for games that are considered mediocre or buy old games cheap. Anyway, both Epic Mickey and Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions literally put me to sleep. I would play an hour and then get sleepy. So I'd have to take a nap. I guess my point is, I really hate boring repetitive games. 

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JJWeatherman
@jakob187 said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @jakob187 said:
When you say first three, do you mean 1, 2 and 3? or 3, Vice City, SA? If you really beat 1 and 2 and not the others, I'd be prepared to call you crazy. "
I mean the first three GTA games.  I hated Vice City with a passion and never wanted to finish it, San Andreas just had too much of an open world that I got lost in and never got around to actually beating it, and my love for GTA IV quickly wore off the more that I realized how clunky and shitty that game really is.  "
I can agree that SA is a bit too massive for its own good. I thought it had a lot there to pull me through though. I couldn't wait to get to Las Venturas and hit up the fake vegas strip for example. Why did you hate Vice City? That was probably the best of that era's GTA games if you ask me. It was on three good-sized islands and told a really good story with some great and memorable characters.