Why doesn't Giant Bomb participate in Extra Life?

EgoCheck616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By EgoCheck616

I know this industry is mostly about having fun and forgetting about the issues of everyday life but it would be nice to see this event get some recognition within the Giant Bomb community. They obviously have the equipment to do something big for Extra Life and it just seems like a shame that they let it pass them by every year. 

Extra Life Website

As far as I know Destructoid, Sarcastic Gamer, and PS Nation are currently participating in the event. 
Also Totally Rad Show is wrapping up their final 4 hours on Ustream.  

Link to TRS' Extra Life video feed 

I know you could argue "yea but they play games on a daily basis". That's my point. The names I just mentioned also play games just as much as the Giant Bomb crew.  It's easy to watch Ryan talk to Pachter while Brad plays Duke Nukem 3D. It's even easier to watch them open a mailbag of food that some of us have never heard of. But why not just for 1 day of the year open up the feed to something important, rather than something silly. 

- Thousands of people watched the PAX Podcast feed and saw Jeff walk outside and start his own iPhone feed to get away from that obnoxious drunk. 
- The Matrix Online: Not Like This is one of the most eventful things to happen on this site. Do you remember  Pascual? Because I sure do.
I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be difficult for them to rack up a few people to watch them do a marathon. And it would be going to a great cause. 

- - - Edit: I apologize for the double post but it isn't letting me delete either topic. Hopefully an admin can take care of it. 

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#2  Edited By fisk0  Moderator
EgoCheck616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By EgoCheck616
@fisk0 said:
" They should participate in DESERT BUS FOR HOPE instead. That's so much more awesome. "
Yea, or that. Either one really. I just mentioned Extra Life because it is the one happening right now as we speak.
fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Well, I think this year's Desert Bus For Hope is going to be next month.

And the concept Desert Bus isn't too far off from the Giant Bomb Endurance Runs.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By ch3burashka

They hate charity.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By fisk0  Moderator
@CH3BURASHKA said:
" They hate charity. "
I would too, if I hadn't seen people play a Sega CD game where they're driving a bus on a straight desert road uninterrupted for 5 days.
adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By adoggz
@CH3BURASHKA said:
" They hate charity. "
nah, they love charity. They did a whole 8 hour broadcast to support some starving people in san fran.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0 said:
" @CH3BURASHKA said:
" They hate charity. "
I would too, if I hadn't seen people play a Sega CD game where they're driving a bus on a straight desert road uninterrupted for 5 days. "
I love that game. Where's my xbla version!
Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Maybe they don't want to?

I hate this attitude that everyone is obliged to be charitable. They gotta feed themselves first and foremost.

EgoCheck616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EgoCheck616
@GunslingerPanda:  I didn't say they were obligated to doing anything. I was simply asking a question. 
I think they're doing alright for food and rent considering how much they spend on electronics outside of Giant Bomb. 

1-2 days a year isn't going to kill anyone. Your cynical attitude towards a good cause will get you nowhere.    
recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By recroulette
@EgoCheck616 said:

" @GunslingerPanda:  I didn't say they were obligated to doing anything. I was simply asking a question. I think they're doing alright for food and rent considering how much they spend on electronics outside of Giant Bomb.  1-2 days a year isn't going to kill anyone. Your cynical attitude towards a good cause will get you nowhere.     "

If they had money to spare for charity, I don't think they would have started this subscription thing.
Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gav47

They did the Oscar Mike shirts last year for Child's Play and the company that was supposed to handle the international side of the business did a runner with the money. I think that left a sour taste in their mouths. 
Article

EgoCheck616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By EgoCheck616
@RecSpec said:
" @EgoCheck616 said:
" @GunslingerPanda:  I didn't say they were obligated to doing anything. I was simply asking a question. I think they're doing alright for food and rent considering how much they spend on electronics outside of Giant Bomb.  1-2 days a year isn't going to kill anyone. Your cynical attitude towards a good cause will get you nowhere.     "
If they had money to spare for charity, I don't think they would have started this subscription thing. "
I didn't say anything about spending their own money. Just a little bit of their time. Donations come from viewers.
recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By recroulette
@EgoCheck616: Why does it take a video game website to tell people when to donate to charity.

Believe it or not sometimes that message can turn a lot of people off.
EgoCheck616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EgoCheck616
@RecSpec: I've yet to hear a bad word said about the other sites taking part in the event. 
Maybe I'm missing something.
recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By recroulette

Well no duh, people aren't going to go out and go "They should really shut up about this Child's Play stuff, we get it already"

EgoCheck616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By EgoCheck616
@RecSpec: You're telling me they aren't participating strictly because they're afraid of losing a few narcissists? I highly doubt that.
recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By recroulette

Have you ever donated to a charity before? Lemme tell you, it never ends. 

You donate to one, then all of a sudden everyone has your info. 
Mail, email, phone calls. It never ends. All of a sudden you're not doing it to help out, you feel obligated to.

This doesn't relate to the GB crew, this is just my personal experience with charities.
If you really wanna help, do something local. Thanksgivings coming up. Donate to a food shelf.

For all you know they could be doing a lot of charitable acts, but don't feel the need to brag about it.

EgoCheck616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EgoCheck616
@RecSpec: I've donated to the Red Cross several times and have only ever received a letter in the mail. Once. 
I'm beginning to suspect that you're one of the narcissists they'd be losing if they went through with this.
recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By recroulette

So you think they should be part of every big charity thing that goes on?
So they don't do Child's Play, big deal. Is that the end of the world?

I find it funny that you would call me a narcissist though, how very charitable of you.

mushyhands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mushyhands
@EgoCheck616: I don't know what the deal is with everyone being defensive against the possibility of this ever happening. Participating in this would be great, if the GB guys got together to do a 24-hour endurance run live feed for charity I would donate at least $24 for the cause and watch some of that mayhem. It's a good idea and would give the fanbase more live content.
RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RE_Player1
@EgoCheck616: Just because they aren't doing a highly publicized charity event does not mean they never do charity. I donated lots of cans for thanksgiving and told no one because guess what you shouldn't brag about doing charity work. You may argue that it may help their public appearance by participating but in all honestly I rather they just cater to us users and do a review or a quicklook instead of Extra Life. 
fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By fisk0  Moderator
@RecSpec said:
" Have you ever donated to a charity before? Lemme tell you, it never ends.   You donate to one, then all of a sudden everyone has your info.  Mail, email, phone calls. It never ends. All of a sudden you're not doing it to help out, you feel obligated to.  This doesn't relate to the GB crew, this is just my personal experience with charities. If you really wanna help, do something local. Thanksgivings coming up. Donate to a food shelf.  For all you know they could be doing a lot of charitable acts, but don't feel the need to brag about it. "
Well, I donated to Child's Play for last year's Desert Bus For Hope, and I have yet to get any pleas or anything else from them other than the confirmation mail that they had got my payment.
Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I don't know how the situation is in other countries, but here in England you can't walk down the street without some asshole with a clipboard badgering you about "No we're not asking you for money, we're just asking you for some details so we can badger you about giving us money even more!"

I don't need that on Giant Bomb thank you. I'm unemployed and already donate to the WWF anyway.

EgoCheck616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By EgoCheck616
@GunslingerPanda: That's not how Extra Life works. It could just be advertised as an event to watch, much like TNT. Have a few banners saying "Hey! We've got this awesome feed we're going to be showing on _______". If people want to watch them play games for 24 hours they're more than welcome to. No one is being obligated to donate. But if you would like to then that's what it's for. 

I understand why some people would be hesitant. But it's also nice knowing that this hobby can be about more than just the selfish satisfaction of unlocking an achievement.
fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By fisk0  Moderator
@EgoCheck616 said:

" @GunslingerPanda: That's not how Extra Life works. It could just be advertised as an event to watch, much like TNT. Have a few banners saying "Hey! We've got this awesome feed we're going to be showing on _______". If people want to watch them play games for 24 hours they're more than welcome to. No one is being obligated to donate. But if you would like to then that's what it's for.  I understand why some people would be hesitant. But it's also nice knowing that this hobby can be about more than just the selfish satisfaction of unlocking an achievement. "

That's why I like Desert Bus so much more - it's like antagonistic Steam gifting - they have to play longer for every donation, so people keep donating ridiculous amounts of money you to get them to play Desert Bus uninterrupted for many days. I hope they'll pass the one week mark this year, last year they got enough donations for 5 days and 16 hours of playtime. And as an addition they got more challenges like forcing some of them to watch Twilight multiple times for a big donation.
evildeadron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By evildeadron

i have it on very good authority that the GB crew is starting their own charity video game marathon very soon, it's called GET A LIFE 

proceeds will go to fund Physiatric help for: 
1) emo kiddies who quit gaming forums because the community didn't give them the "perfect" gamertag suggestion 
2) Whiney forum kiddies  
3) fanboys who are completely out of touch with reality 
and 
4) people who feel the need to shove their views about charity events down other peoples throats and then get defensive and name call those who disagree with their pompous attitude 

i plan to donate alot
SoylentGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By SoylentGreen

The GB crew will participate in Extra Life when they feel like it. Starting a thread titled "Why doesn't GB ____" is a good way to sound like you expect them to do something, and being expected to donate is never a good reason to be charitable.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@RecSpec said:
" So you think they should be part of every big charity thing that goes on? So they don't do Child's Play, big deal. Is that the end of the world?  I find it funny that you would call me a narcissist though, how very charitable of you. "
Uh dude.  He asked about GB and you spoke entirely about YOURSELF.  Yes, that makes you sound like you're a narcissist.  

I think GB will probably participate in future.  Right now, they're still growing.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BraveToaster

I'm sure they've donated money or plan to in the near future. I wouldn't think any less of them if they didn't want to do a charity event.

EgoCheck616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By EgoCheck616
@Axxol said:
" I'm sure they've donated money or plan to in the near future. I wouldn't think any less of them if they didn't want to do a charity event. "
Fair enough. Maybe it will just be something they consider trying after everything gets settled. 
I guess I shouldn't be so demanding. I mean they JUST moved offices.
harrisonave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By harrisonave

Considering the size of the staff, and as much content as they give us on a daily and weekly basis, I imagine they just don't have the time to squeeze something like that into their schedules.  I'm sure they would if they could.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BraveToaster
@Artemis_D said:
" Considering the size of the staff, and as much content as they give us on a daily and weekly basis, I imagine they just don't have the time to squeeze something like that into their schedules.  I'm sure they would if they could. "
This 

Also, everyone becomes increasingly busy as the holiday season nears.
CrazedMaverick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CrazedMaverick

Dude. It's a staff of 4 people, and throw in a few of the engineers/video guys. I think you're underestimating the time and effort it takes to throw up a live show/feed. They seem wary of endurance runs cause of the time commitment, and the content was coming out pretty slowly the days leading up to the BLLS. If they had the manpower and time they might do it, but not with what they have now.

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By matt

Only just saw this posts but I had quite a lot of fun with extra life. I posted on these very forums about my 24hr gaming live stream and got a good response from the community. I managed to gather some games codes to give away and in the end made more than $200. Next year I'm going to go bigger and hopefully get more of the community involved. On a side note I think it greats you still remember the Matrix Online finale. During my 24hr live stream I booted up a Matrix Online emulator to bring Pascual back one last time and it was the best/worst idea ever.

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By gunslingerNZ

While you might think this is a good idea my guess is that the majority of GB users would simply watch the video and not donate. Personally I don't think videogames are a very good medium to raise money for charity since it's inherently a very selfish hobby.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#37  Edited By Sin4profit

@EgoCheck616:  so howed it go? Who did you sponsor?

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By Mrnitropb

Wow. I need some fucking Tylenol now. 

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#39  Edited By natetodamax

Considering that they recently did an 8 hour long live stream of Kinect plus the regularly scheduled two hours of Thursday Night Throwdown, I don't care if they don't donate.