Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Burnout Paradise

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Jan 22, 2008

Burnout Paradise turns the Burnout series on its head by moving from closed set tracks to an open world full of events to experience both alone and in a group online.

Why haven't we seen Burnout Paradise 2?

galacticgravy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I've never played a racing game other than Star Wars Racer Revenge but Burnout Paradise blew me away. It's easily top 3 games of last gen for me. A lot of us loved it, so why haven't we seen another? Did it not make enough money? Did the IP change hands? Did the team break up? Does anyone know?

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Cirdain
    mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Because there is no justice in this world. Also Burnout doesn't make nearly as much money as Need For Speed and so Criterion has basically been gutted to put together Ghost Games which is essentially the Need For Speed studio.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

The Burnout games never became as popular as EA would have hoped. That is why they made Criterion make Need For Speed games instead since they always sell a alot based on the name. I doubt we will see another Burnout.

I liked Burnout 3 on the original XBOX and to some extent Burnout Revenge on 360 but never cared much about Paradise. Burnout is not an open world game for me.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Because people don't know the Burnout name. Need for Speed has better brand recognition among the general population than Burnout. EA is all about reaching the gamers that don't read publications often and that aren't necessarily enthusiasts. So they will keep using Criterion to make games in the franchise that the average gamer recognizes.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Because Need for Speed sells better. Plus I think Criterion is make a new franchise from those early video at e3.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I could be wrong but didn't Criterion basically come out and say that Most Wanted was their Paradise city 2? Maybe thats just what everyone other then Criterion was saying...

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The biggest reason, at the moment, would probably be that the Criterion that brought is Burnout Paradise doesn't really exist in the same way anymore. That said, I don't know why someone hasn't gotten the franchise given to them and the resources to try and produce something of that caliber, all these years later. It would be an instant massive hit, before it even launched. There is an enormous hunger for exactly that game, but updated.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Need For Speed Most Wanted was basically a Burnout Paradise game with real cars.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Need For Speed Most Wanted was basically a Burnout Paradise game with real cars.

I felt Most Wanted was a stagnant, lifeless, pale imitation of the terrific game Paradise was. I must have a hundred hours in Paradise; I gave up on Most Wanted after maybe three hours.

I'm sure they'll brand it with NFS, but I can't imagine they're never going to use the Paradise name, again. I mean, if they did that, it would be like printing cash. If you gave me a true "Paradise 2", I would pay double the price of the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's see... Burnout don't sell as well as Need For Speed, a lot of the staff of Criterion went to Ghost Games (I think it's called) to make Need For Speed games, and the remaining Criterion is working on a new IP as shown in the (drum roll please) conceptual prototypeat E3. So yeah, I don't think EA believes in the Burnout name and Criterion has changed a lot.

As Jeff said during the EA press conference: "They (Criterion) are making the largest game they ever made, with the smallest staff they ever had?"

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de
    deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because EA are only interested in IPs that sell well. They are almost completely immune to taking any risks whatsoever, it seems

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ripelivejam

Burnout 3 takedown 2 is what we really want

I would litrally buy a million copies

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only started playing Burnout Paradise after I got it for 2.99 in the steam sale. It is freaking awesome.

A Burnout Paradise 2 would sell like gangbusters. The game has a cult following by this stage. It is still full of people playing online.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Burnout Paradise is already the perfect video game, no need for more.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Because it was a bad game that should be consigned to history. If I have to look way from the road to look at a map in a Burnout game, you have fucked up.

Burnout 3-2 now that's something I can get behind.

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Burnout 3 was amazing, Revenge more of the same but refined, Paradise was too ambitious and ended up "bleh". If they re-released 3 that would sell like hot cakes.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The further we get from its release, the more and more it dawns on me that Burnout Paradise is one of the greatest games of all time.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MikkaQ

@dagas said:

The Burnout games never became as popular as EA would have hoped. That is why they made Criterion make Need For Speed games instead since they always sell a alot based on the name. I doubt we will see another Burnout.

I liked Burnout 3 on the original XBOX and to some extent Burnout Revenge on 360 but never cared much about Paradise. Burnout is not an open world game for me.

I agree, I feel like we're the minority opinion here but Burnout 3 was my favorite. I think Burnout works better on tracks, especially the crash levels which were all set up perfectly for maximum destruction (and fun).

For me the trouble with Revenge was the rear-traffic checking. I think it messed with the pacing of the game, and Criterion took it as an excuse to put too much traffic on the roads. Takedowns from landing on top of other cars was such a great idea though.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Because we already have one, and because it's been almost 7 years since it came out. How can you release a sequel to a 7-year-old game and modernize it without removing the magic? They tried with Most Wanted, but it didn't exactly work.

And as many have already stated above, the business realities of today's world mean that we will never see a sequel to Burnout Paradise. What we should do instead is hope that games like The Crew kindle a new kind of magic. We can't be hoping for the sequel to Burnout Paradise 20 years from now, right? Best to put faith into something new.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

That new project that Criterion announced at E3 looked kind of Paradise-ey, but the current Criterion dev team isn't really the same team that made Burnout Paradise. Still, you never know....

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because money.

Need for Speed is more popular and sells more, so EA just said "You guys work on this!" Now there's barely anyone on that team and they're working on some other racing/extreme sports type game.

I'm not even sure we'll ever see the name Burnout again.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ch3burashka

Doesn't make as much money as NFS.

And yeah, what other people have said: they're making something Burnout-y but with every mode of transportation.

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By sravankb

@Levius said:

Because it was a bad game that should be consigned to history. If I have to look way from the road to look at a map in a Burnout game, you have fucked up.

Burnout 3-2 now that's something I can get behind.

Completely agree with this.

Burnout Paradise is claimed to be as the best racing game ever made by many people. Of course, opinions and all - but man, Paradise isn't even the best Burnout game.

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because when you tell people who aren't SUPER into car games that it's great, they shrug it off because it's a car game.

People who are SUPER into car games generally want less-arcadey experiences, and more importantly want licensed cars.

Burnout Paradise is one of the greatest games I've ever played. Endless fun. I thought Need for Speed: Most Wanted was quite a bit of fun. Maybe as close to Burnout as we'll ever get.

All things considered, I'm really excited for Criterion's weird first-person all-vehicle game.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By awesomeusername

Because EA hates money.

I want a Paradise 2 so bad. :'(

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ripelivejam

@sravankb: A-FUCKING-MEN

Lack of (a real) crash mode, no actual looped courses designed for racing, mostly boring city grid driving, lack of aftertouch, and general aimlessness meant it didn't sink its hooks in me like Takedown did. It's pretty and an overall decent game, but nowhere near the same. Hell even Revenge was pretty awesome compared.

Id give all three of my nuts for an HD Burnout 3.

E: nice, doesnt seem like im alone at all in my love of Burnout 3

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.