Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

User Lists: 2

#101  Edited By Grumbel

@SeriouslyNow said:

PEBKAC indeed.

You don't even know what the phrase means, do you? You failed to name a single problem caused by the user. It's also lovely how you are completely oblivious to acknowledge the problems, it's an old game here and a tiny developer there[1] and when it's a big one then just head in the sand and pretend they don't exist because you, with a completely different hardware configuration, maybe even OS and whatever didn't happen to experience them, completely ignoring that those are all known problems, discussed on Steam Forums and the like.

[1] Just gotta love how PC gamers also pull out the "it's backward compatible" and "supports indie devs" card when they can, but when one actually tries to play those games and runs into problems then suddenly it's ones own fault. Buy hey, just continue to pretend problems don't exist if reality is to hard to admit.

PS: If you haven't noticed, I am not arguing for consoles, just evaluating problems with PC gaming.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#102  Edited By fattony12000

I like games.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Grumbel said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

PEBKAC indeed.

You don't even know what the phrase means, do you? You failed to name a single problem caused by the user. It's also lovely how you are completely oblivious to acknowledge the problems, it's an old game here and a tiny developer there[1] and when it's a big one then just head in the sand and pretend they don't exist because you, with a completely different hardware configuration, maybe even OS and whatever didn't happen to experience them, completely ignoring that those are all known problems, discussed on Steam Forums and the like.

[1] Just gotta love how PC gamers also pull out the "it's backward compatible" and "supports indie devs" card when they can, but when one actually tries to play those games and runs into problems then suddenly it's ones own fault. Buy hey, just continue to pretend problems don't exist if reality is to hard to admit.

PS: If you haven't noticed, I am not arguing for consoles, just evaluating problems with PC gaming.

I'm sorry I didn't take the time to fix your issues whiney pants, but the problems you've illustrated are either not specific to PC or self made. As I said I played RF : G to completion twice on two different configurations and no issues were present. I played Dirt since it wads released with no issues whatsoever. Problems do exist but the ones you've mentioned are either non specific to PC or of your own making.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Grumbel

I'm sorry I didn't take the time to fix your issues whiney pants

I fixed them myself, thank you, but it obviously seems to much for you to accept that problems, even when manually fixable, are still problems.

As I said I played RF : G to completion twice on two different configurations and no issues were present. I played Dirt since it wads released with no issues whatsoever.

Which says absolutely fucking nothing about the problems. Just because you didn't run into the issues doesn't make them non-existent, it just means you got lucky.  For reference:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1917578

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#105  Edited By SlasherMan

@Grumbel said:

Which says absolutely fucking nothing about the problems. Just because you didn't run into the issues doesn't make them non-existent, it just means you got lucky.

By the same token, just because you did run into those issues doesn't make them prevalent, it could just as well mean that you got unlucky.

Also, to weigh in on the RF:G issues at least, the only problem I had was some stuttering when buildings collapsed. The solution to which literally took 5 minutes to find.

But yes, people do tend to be quick to assume it's the user's fault whenever one has issues and most others don't. Sometimes that assumption is true, sometimes it isn't. That I agree with.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Grumbel
@SlasherMan said: 

By the same token, just because you did run into those issues doesn't make them prevalent, it could just as well mean that you got unlucky. 

If it would have been just a single problem, sure, but as mentioned there have been plenty more and that are just the last few month, I could pull out plenty of more PC gaming issues I have had over the years or well, decades actually. It's simply a general PC problem that the hardware, drivers and OSs  are different from user to user, heck, even the games are sometimes different, as depending on where you buy you might get a different patch level. Thus it is rather understandable that a lot of people prefer consoles, as they don't have to deal with any of that and things just work for most part (even when slow patching on PS3 is really annoying).

And of course the thing is, the more you actually go to play PC exclusives, the more you run into the issues. Valve and Blizzard have their stuff patches up fine, the rather unknown Russian developer not so much, but those are exactly the developers for which I love PC gaming.
geekpimpfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By geekpimpfx

I haven't gamed on a PC in years, but just built a new rig last week because of Battlefield 3, this generation of consoles is really starting to show its age

That being said I have all of the modern consoles and a lot of classics, I just love video games and don't really care for one system over another, I go where the good games are

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#108  Edited By veektarius

I spent roughly $900 on my computer, built it myself, not including the price of the monitor. I have just enough power to play new games on visually pleasant settings (who knows if that'll stand up to BF3.) Bottom line is you're talking probably almost $200 for a good video card, a couple more for the motherboard and the processor, and a little under a hundred on RAM, hard drive, power supply, case. I'm not saying I'm the thriftiest consumer out there. I'm sure I could have gotten more for my money, but $300? I'd like to see a breakdown of that.

Simple fact of the matter is that a lot of things go into a PC that have nothing to do with games, so it cannot play games as cost-efficiently.

Fizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Fizzy

The PC definitely has some awesome games like the Witcher, Witcher 2, Mount and Blade etc...I wish my computer didn't suck. Eff you people who have good computers! adljhsdkjwqhd!

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#110  Edited By Still_I_Cry

I have every console but PC(meaning I have a Wii, Xbox and PS3). I want to get a good PC for gaming within the next year though.

Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Deeveeus

I have nothing against PC gaming, I just got tired of the compatibility problems over the years IE, having a card powerful enough to run a game, but because it's a mobile card nothing but problems. I understand this is probably far less of a problem with a desktop, but I have a laptop and dammit one computer is enough :P

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By GuyIncognito

@Veektarius said:

I spent roughly $900 on my computer, built it myself, not including the price of the monitor. I have just enough power to play new games on visually pleasant settings (who knows if that'll stand up to BF3.) Bottom line is you're talking probably almost $200 for a good video card, a couple more for the motherboard and the processor, and a little under a hundred on RAM, hard drive, power supply, case. I'm not saying I'm the thriftiest consumer out there. I'm sure I could have gotten more for my money, but $300? I'd like to see a breakdown of that.

Simple fact of the matter is that a lot of things go into a PC that have nothing to do with games, so it cannot play games as cost-efficiently.

The xbox 360 has a 6 year old CPU and GPU. If you want a PC that plays games at low-mid setting at 1280x720 (or lower in the case of Call of DERP DERP) and average 30fps (or 60fps for Call of HURR DURR), you can probably build it for $300. The xbox 360 gpu is supposedly equivalent to 7900 GTX.

Mike76x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Mike76x

@RsistncE said:

@Mike76x said:

@RsistncE said:

When it comes down to it, there are very few CONSOLE exclusive games out there, and the ones that are exclusive are usually platform exclusive so that makes the "consoles have exclusives the PC doesn't" point moot since it could not be as easily said that "PS3 has exclusives the 360 doesn't". That argument also easily flipped in favour of the PC: in reality the PC has FAR more exclusive games than any of the consoles. As far as multiplats go, the vast majority come to the PC and they always look and play better on it. I understand your point that to some people the existence of a few platform exclusives makes consoles a more valuable gaming platform but again it's like my car analogy: the Ferrari is overall a MUCH better car than a family sedan, but you'll still find fools out there who quantify a single key difference to them, such as the existence of back seats, as somehow indicating that family sedans are better cars. Well, they're not, and the same argument applies to the PC.

If you have a family of 4 that cant afford a Ferrari and couldn't fit their family into that Ferrari, that would make the Ferrari a really shitty choice for a family.

So you buy a car with bad gas mileage, and higher insurance rates that you can only brag about and that's better?

Faster sure, more powerful yeah, more expensive hell yeah, higher quality parts maybe, but better?

I already addressed this, in that no matter what single key difference makes the sedan preferable to that person, their logic is flawed when they claim that that one key difference to them indicates that the sedan is overall a better car. Additionally, when you point out that the family could not afford the Ferrari you've also implicitly stated that the Ferrari is an object of desire but outside of their reach. Typically, a good that has a higher cost than another good in the same category is superior and more desirable to the second good (just like a PC is a superior good to a console). Regardless, there's only one real question that I need to ask you:

If someone offered you a Ferrari or a family sedan, which one would you take?

Your answer is going to the same one that nearly 100% of people would respond with: the Ferrari.

In regards to your post about problems with PC's: it's flawed to claim that just because YOU had problems with the PC then everyone else had them also. In my lifetime I can count the number of times I had PC gaming related troubles on one hand. Luckily I have a mind and was able to solve those problems pretty quickly. At the end of the day though you're right, consoles are a more idiot-proofed mainstream way of gaming, kinda like how a family sedan is easier to drive than a Ferrari.

I would choose the sedan.

I do have a family and between the insurance, excise tax and gas mileage I would not be able to afford to keep a Ferrari.

But the fact is "I" did have them (this is the point you need to pay attention to) so "I" find not having to deal with those issues a better experience.

Not only did I have them, everyone had at least that initial problem which is why it had to be addressed on the scale it was.

Visuals are only a part of the gaming experience.

Mike76x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Mike76x

@GuyIncognito said:

@Mike76x said:

At this point in the evolution of computer graphics I define the superior "experience" as the one that requires less work and more relaxing.

Get yourself a lobotomy.

Quality post, good job.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By RsistncE

@Icemael said:

@RsistncE said:

When it comes down to it, there are very few CONSOLE exclusive games out there, and the ones that are exclusive are usually platform exclusive so that makes the "consoles have exclusives the PC doesn't" point moot since it could not be as easily said that "PS3 has exclusives the 360 doesn't". That argument also easily flipped in favour of the PC: in reality the PC has FAR more exclusive games than any of the consoles.

There are not "very few", there are hundreds each generation. And either way it is not a matter of quantity but of genre. If you aren't into the genres the PC specializes in most of the platform's exclusives mean nothing.

@RsistncE said:

I understand your point that to some people the existence of a few platform exclusives makes consoles a more valuable gaming platform but again it's like my car analogy: the Ferrari is overall a MUCH better car than a family sedan, but you'll still find fools out there who quantify a single key difference to them, such as the existence of back seats, as somehow indicating that family sedans are better cars. Well, they're not, and the same argument applies to the PC.

These people are not "fools". A family sedan is the better car if you want to drive around your family, while a Ferrari is the better car if you want to race. It is the same with PC and consoles, except there it is a matter of what genres you're into.You realize this, as I see at the beginning of the first sentence in the quote, but then you try to come up with some argument for why the PC is still better no matter what, and end up with a contradiction.

Sorry I should have said "very few WORTH PLAYING". I hear the Wii has tonnes of exclusives too *cough* shovelware *cough*. Besides I never said that the same isn't true for PC games, it is. There really aren't that many PC exclusive games worth playing compared to the entire number of games that are multiplatform (and also worth playing). It's why I said that using the "platform X doesn't have the games I want" excuse kind of pathetic.

I'm honestly surprised at the ability that you and others have to lie to yourselves. Given the choice on the spot you and anyone with a sane mind would choose the Ferrari. Any family would also choose the Ferrari. Why? It has higher value and is a more desirable good. Even if the family couldn't use it they'd still take it over the sedan because they could always just sell it for more than the sedan was worth. The same goes for PC's; a PC is of higher value. In absolutely NO CASE should you accept a console for free over a PC (unless you're insane). Either A) the PC meets your needs or B) the PC can get you more value to cover your needs and then some. The PC is a higher end and superior good to the console, deal with it.

@Mike76x: Then you are out of your mind my friend. The Ferrari has more value and even if you couldn't use it you could get rid of it for more money than the sedan was worth. The same point applies to the PC. In every situation if you're offered a console for free or a PC, you should accept the PC. Also this isn't just about visuals. Outside of a few platform exclusive games there is literally NOTHING that the PC isn't better at doing than consoles. Games are cheaper, control scheme is more flexible, visuals are better, online gaming is more stable etc. etc. And why shouldn't it be? It costs more and is a higher end good. As the old saying goes: you get what you pay for.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#116  Edited By Icemael
@RsistncE: This is a discussion about value as gaming platforms, not monetary value.
Hellstrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Hellstrom

People who are both are the real superior people. I game on PC because not only the content and games but because mods add hours upon hours of replayability on various games. For example on consoles i would have long stopped playing Dragon Age: Origins. On Pc however the large library of mods adds to the replay value of Dragon Age. Superior graphics and what not is a a bonus though. Why i game on consoles? because i also like to game with my own friends and people i know. I live in America and there are mostly console gamers here. Sometimes gaming with my friends can make an average game a memorable experience and wouldn't have been the same had i played it on PC. Don't get me wrong i love my Steam friends, but Dead Island would have been slightly less amazing had i not played it with 3 of my RL best friends.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By RsistncE

@Icemael: The fact that you've managed to create a dichotomy between monetary value and quality is pretty funny: in general, more expensive products are also better products than their cheaper siblings in the same category. A gaming PC is more expensive because it's a more luxurious and better product than a mainstream console.

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By GuyIncognito

@Mike76x said:

@GuyIncognito said:

@Mike76x said:

At this point in the evolution of computer graphics I define the superior "experience" as the one that requires less work and morerelaxing.

Get yourself a lobotomy.

Quality post, good job.

Thanks, bro. Catatonia sure looks easy and relaxing.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Grumbel
@RsistncE said:

@Icemael: The fact that you've managed to create a dichotomy between monetary value and quality is pretty funny: in general, more expensive products are also better products than their cheaper siblings in the same category.

That is a  rather strange way of thinking. What matters in the real world is the price/performance ratio and to stay with the car comparison: A Ferrari completly fails that, it performs completely shit for the task at hand (driving shopping with the family) and cost shit loads of money, while the Sedan is cheap and actually works well for the task. That you would still pick the Ferrari when you would get it for free completely misses the point, as in the real world you actually have to pay for things you buy. Also the only reason to go with the Ferrari would be sell it, buy a cheaper car and have spare money left. 
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By RsistncE

@Grumbel said:

@RsistncE said:

@Icemael: The fact that you've managed to create a dichotomy between monetary value and quality is pretty funny: in general, more expensive products are also better products than their cheaper siblings in the same category.

That is a rather strange way of thinking. What matters in the real world is the price/performance ratio and to stay with the car comparison: A Ferrari completly fails that, it performs completely shit for the task at hand (driving shopping with the family) and cost shit loads of money, while the Sedan is cheap and actually works well for the task. That you would still pick the Ferrari when you would get it for free completely misses the point, as in the real world you actually have to pay for things you buy. Also the only reason to go with the Ferrari would be sell it, buy a cheaper car and have spare money left.

The reason I wiped out the question of money was to prove a point: that the Ferrari is the better of the two cars. As a car in the most basic sense it is BETTER. In a financial sense it is BETTER. The sedan is there because at the end of the day most people can't afford a Ferrari. If they could? Then they'd buy it. Sure people would still have sedans, but you know perfectly well that if you sent out a general poll with the question, "Which is the better car?", 99.9% of respondants would say Ferrari. You and I both know that and there's no sense in lying to ourselves about it.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Grumbel
@RsistncE said:

The reason I wiped out the question of money was to prove a point: that the Ferrari is the better of the two cars. As a car in the most basic sense it is BETTER. In a financial sense it is BETTER. The sedan is there because at the end of the day most people can't afford a Ferrari. If they could? Then they'd buy it. Sure people would still have sedans, but you know perfectly well that if you sent out a general poll with the question, "Which is the better car?", 99.9% of respondants would say Ferrari. You and I both know that and there's no sense in lying to ourselves about it.

"Better car" is a completely pointless metric without specifying "Better for what?". A Ferrari is for sure better for selling it and for driving around on a race track, for everyday driving around it totally sucks. I seriously fail to see the point you are trying to make.
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#123  Edited By wefwefasdf

@RsistncE: @Grumbel: You guys realize you are debating over a metaphor, right?

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#124  Edited By SpudBug

i just came in here to say that i didn't read the OP

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Icemael
@RsistncE: I didn't "create" that separation. It exists naturally as a result of the very simple fact that different people have different needs and wants.
SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#126  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

@RsistncE: If I buy a Ferrari I know it is going to work and do everything I want it to with no hassle. If I buy a PC, I am going to have different experiences with every game I play. Some games will run like shit, some will freeze, some will run great, so will not support my resolution, etc, etc. When using a PC sure you will always be able to get better graphics and performance than a console if you have the high end stuff, but many times you have to learn about all the parts, updating drivers, maybe post on tech forums to figure out why this game won't run properly and other stupid crap. With a console 99.9% of the time you put in the disk and it works fine and that's it you are ready to go.

If given a choice between 2 sports cars, a Ferarri and Mustang, almost everyone will pick a Ferrari. You say given the choice between a High End PC and Console, everyone will pick the PC. That isn't the case. Almost everyone I know would pick the console because they don't want to deal with the headache of getting games to run on a PC. Someone who has dealt with PCs a lot and could solve problems easily would pick the PC, but not your average person. Don't compare a Ferrari to a PC, it just doesn't work.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By RsistncE

@Icemael: Yes you did create that separation, because the question of utility only comes into account when people are shopping around for comparable goods. A PC and a console are not comparable, just as a Ferrari and a sedan aren't. The PC, like the Ferrari, is a MUCH higher end good and therefore more desirable, that's why it costs more.'

@SirPsychoSexy said:

@RsistncE: If I buy a Ferrari I know it is going to work and do everything I want it to with no hassle. If I buy a PC, I am going to have different experiences with every game I play. Some games will run like shit, some will freeze, some will run great, so will not support my resolution, etc, etc. When using a PC sure you will always be able to get better graphics and performance than a console if you have the high end stuff, but many times you have to learn about all the parts, updating drivers, maybe post on tech forums to figure out why this game won't run properly and other stupid crap. With a console 99.9% of the time you put in the disk and it works fine and that's it you are ready to go.

If given a choice between 2 sports cars, a Ferarri and Mustang, almost everyone will pick a Ferrari. You say given the choice between a High End PC and Console, everyone will pick the PC. That isn't the case. Almost everyone I know would pick the console because they don't want to deal with the headache of getting games to run on a PC. Someone who has dealt with PCs a lot and could solve problems easily would pick the PC, but not your average person. Don't compare a Ferrari to a PC, it just doesn't work.

When is the last time you played a PC game? The 90's? The vast majority of PC gamers don't have any problem with PC games running. In fact I can personally tell you that in the past 6-7 years I can count the number of times I've had PC game troubles on two hands. In fact, the occurrence is very similar to the number of times I had serious console gaming related issues also. This point is completely moot and many here have pointed out. I'm not stupid enough to defend something that I know doesn't work 99.9% of the time, let alone dropping a fair amount of money on such a product.

For anyone else who feels the need to repeat this pointless argument: the vast majority of PC gamers rarely encounter any real problems that prevent them from playing their game. Stop acting like we're still in the 90's. kthxbye

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#128  Edited By TehFlan

@Meowshi said:

What an idiot the Wii is way better!!!!!!!!!!

YO DAWG YOU WANNA PLAY SOME SMASH BROS???

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By scarace360

Vida games are cool!

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Grumbel said:

I'm sorry I didn't take the time to fix your issues whiney pants

I fixed them myself, thank you, but it obviously seems to much for you to accept that problems, even when manually fixable, are still problems.

As I said I played RF : G to completion twice on two different configurations and no issues were present. I played Dirt since it wads released with no issues whatsoever.

Which says absolutely fucking nothing about the problems. Just because you didn't run into the issues doesn't make them non-existent, it just means you got lucky. For reference:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1917578

Yes, you've managed to list one issue which is resolveable, yet your list had almost 10, only a few of which actually pertained to some potential performance issues specific to the PC version or PC gaming in general. Go back to your list and really scrutinise it, don't just lump all the issues you had into *PC gaming iz hardz*, research your list and you'll see that most of those issues are issues across the board.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

@RsistncE: I don't know what world you live in, but I have seen and know tons of people who still have issues with certain games on their PC. This argument is far from pointless.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By RsistncE

@SirPsychoSexy said:

@RsistncE: I don't know what world you live in, but I have seen and know tons of people who still have issues with certain games on their PC. This argument is far from pointless.

This is absolutely ridiculous. Go ahead and let me know where it says that the number of technical issues that PC gamers come across is astoundingly higher than what console gamers encounter and I'll believe you. Unfortunately if you go ahead and look on consoles game support and pc game support forums you'll see about the same number of complaints. I'm tired of people who aren't PC gamers spreading around stupid rumours like this one. Yes there are people that have technical issues, but not that many more than consoles gamers who also have issues. Stop trying to make it look like such a huge issue when it's not.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#133  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

If I could, I would play every game any way I can.

Video games continue to be awesome to me.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

@RsistncE: I have not once had an issue with getting a console game to run. In fact I have never even heard of that. What would the issue be, it doesn't read the disk? I mean I cannot even think of a problem that could come up. Sure all games have bugs and stuff, but just getting it to work properly is never an issue. When I put in a disk in to my console it has always worked.

I have had several occasions, even in the past year, where I buy a game for my PC and it does not run like it should. For whatever reason a lot of my source games lock up after playing for 10-15min and I have to end the process and start it up again. Some other games my driver stops responding, and it temporarily blacks out my screen for like 5sec. I have tried everything and searched many forums to try to solve these issues, its a real pain in the ass. Some people say my PSU might be the problem, some say it is not a problem at all. Well might is not good enough. I won't drop 100 bucks to hope it fixes my problem, then find out it didn't do jack. When you just spent 50 bucks on a game and it doesn't work it is frustrating.

This is a big issue, if you think this happens even a remotely close amount on consoles as it does on PCs you are fooling yourself.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Grumbel
@SeriouslyNow said:

Go back to your list and really scrutinise it, don't just lump all the issues you had into *PC gaming iz hardz*, research your list and you'll see that most of those issues are issues across the board.

Every single issues on the list was caused by issues specific to the PC platform and as said I have plenty more where those came from, those where just recent examples.

PC gaming is hard, there is absolutely no doubt about that, it's of course not unsurmountable hard and things have certainly gotten much easier with Steam auto-patching and no longer having to fumble around with autoexec.bat and friends, but PCs are still far away from the console "insert DVD and run" experience, it's just that PC gamers have so used to the problems that they no longer notice them.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Grumbel said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

Go back to your list and really scrutinise it, don't just lump all the issues you had into *PC gaming iz hardz*, research your list and you'll see that most of those issues are issues across the board.

Every single issues on the list was caused by issues specific to the PC platform and as said I have plenty more where those came from, those where just recent examples. PC gaming is hard, there is absolutely no doubt about that, it's of course not unsurmountable hard and things have certainly gotten much easier with Steam auto-patching and no longer having to fumble around with autoexec.bat and friends, but PCs are still far away from the console "insert DVD and run" experience, it's just that PC gamers have so used to the problems that they no longer notice them.

Every single issue on that lust is not specific to the PC platform and you fucking know it. PCs are not consoles, they can do more but gaming on them isn't a technical nightmare either. Just fucking go away, you're full of shit.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By lockwoodx

I'm a PC gamer because I'm not an idiot.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Grumbel
@SeriouslyNow said:

Every single issue on that lust is not specific to the PC platform and you fucking know it.

Which issue? Name one. The only issue remotely console related is the Europa Universals CD-Key one, but even that is rather PC specific, as most console games don't require a CD-Key and even if, only for specific parts of the game (i.e. DLC or multiplayer). 

PCs are not consoles, they can do more but gaming on them isn't a technical nightmare either. Just fucking go away, you're full of shit.

Yeah, they can do more, but that's not the question here, the question is how good a gaming device they are. Also I never said that it's a technical nightmare, it's not that big of a deal when you are a dedicated gamer, but a hell of a lot of people simply are not dedicated gamer and for those a console is simply a much smoother and trouble-less experience. Even ignoring everything else, the simply fact is that you can't buy a PC that will just plug into your TV and just work like a console, fumbling through install dialogs is enough to ruin that experience pretty quickly.

BTW: Has "big picture mode" made it into Steam yet?
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Grumbel: What you want from PC gaming isn't what I want from PC gaming. You want your PC to turn into a console whereas I want your PC to blow up and kill you.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By RsistncE

@SirPsychoSexy said:

@RsistncE: I have not once had an issue with getting a console game to run. In fact I have never even heard of that. What would the issue be, it doesn't read the disk? I mean I cannot even think of a problem that could come up. Sure all games have bugs and stuff, but just getting it to work properly is never an issue. When I put in a disk in to my console it has always worked.

I have had several occasions, even in the past year, where I buy a game for my PC and it does not run like it should. For whatever reason a lot of my source games lock up after playing for 10-15min and I have to end the process and start it up again. Some other games my driver stops responding, and it temporarily blacks out my screen for like 5sec. I have tried everything and searched many forums to try to solve these issues, its a real pain in the ass. Some people say my PSU might be the problem, some say it is not a problem at all. Well might is not good enough. I won't drop 100 bucks to hope it fixes my problem, then find out it didn't do jack. When you just spent 50 bucks on a game and it doesn't work it is frustrating.

This is a big issue, if you think this happens even a remotely close amount on consoles as it does on PCs you are fooling yourself.

Yeah because this totally didn't happen. Or this. Oh yeah, and let's not forget this doozy. Yet you're telling me to stop fooling myself.

No Caption Provided

@Grumbel said:

but a hell of a lot of people simply are not dedicated gamers

Jesus, you had me fooled, I thought I was on Giantbomb, a forum for dedicated gamers.

the simply fact is that you can't buy a PC that will just plug into your TV and just work like a console, fumbling through install dialogs is enough to ruin that experience pretty quickly.

Actually, yes there is, it's called an HTPC. Actually fuck that, ALL PC's have the capability to just be plugged in and start working. All you have to do is select the screen when the box pops up and the resolution. Not really that hard.

Also I'm not sure when the last time you downloaded and played a game on Steam was, but when I play a game, I just have to purchase, let it download and then double click to play. But who knows, you might be on a different version of Steam than me. The herp derp version.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#141  Edited By spankingaddict

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

@RsistncE: Any retard could figure out a PC game will be more likely to not run properly than a console game. How you call yourself a gamer and do not understand this blows my mind. I am done with this thread. peace

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By bybeach

Aha is this my chance? I am a Pc gamer because it was deigned by god that I have a unique and superior destiny. Hey Pc gaming rocks, but I can't play Shadows of the Damned Killzone3, Uncharted3 Or Gears of War 3 on a Pc, so....

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Icemael
@RsistncE said:

@Icemael: Yes you did create that separation, because the question of utility only comes into account when people are shopping around for comparable goods. A PC and a console are not comparable, just as a Ferrari and a sedan aren't. The PC, like the Ferrari, is a MUCH higher end good and therefore more desirable, that's why it costs more.'

What you fail to realize is the aspects that make the PC and the Ferrari more expensive aren't relevant in certain situations and for certain people. Let's use two examples:

A gaming PC costs more than a console because of its superior graphics cards, processors and so on. But what if all I want to play is Uncharted? The PC can't do that. The expensive graphics cards and processors are then absolutely useless to me. If it weren't for that fact that I could sell them (which does not make the PC a better gaming platform), I might as well throw them in the garbage. A Playstation 3, however, would be invaluable to me.

A two-seat Ferrari costs more than the common car because of its superior engine, aerodynamic form and so on. But what if all I want to do is drive my three kids to and from school? The Ferrari's extraordinary speed is then absolutely useless to me, while the lack of back seats mean I have to drive back and forth several extra times to get all the kids where they need to be. If it weren't for the fact that I could sell it (which does not make the Ferrari a better vehicle), I might as well dump the engine at a junkyard and replace it with an average one. A family sedan, however, would be perfect for my needs.

The examples are a bit extreme (the first one, at least), but if you don't get my point now I'm afraid you never will.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By RsistncE

@Icemael said:

@RsistncE said:

What you fail to realize is the aspects that make the PC and the Ferrari more expensive aren't relevant in certain situations and for certain people. Let's use two examples:

A gaming PC costs more than a console because of its superior graphics cards, processors and so on. But what if all I want to play is Uncharted? The PC can't do that. The expensive graphics cards and processors are then absolutely useless to me. If it weren't for that fact that I could sell them (which does not make the PC a better gaming platform), I might as well throw them in the garbage. A Playstation 3, however, would be invaluable to me.

A two-seat Ferrari costs more than the common car because of its superior engine, aerodynamic form and so on. But what if all I want to do is drive my three kids to and from school? The Ferrari's extraordinary speed is then absolutely useless to me, while the lack of back seats mean I have to drive back and forth several extra times to get all the kids where they need to be. If it weren't for the fact that I could sell it (which does not make the Ferrari a better vehicle), I might as well dump the engine at a junkyard and replace it with an average one. A family sedan, however, would be perfect for my needs.The examples are a bit extreme (the first one, at least), but if you don't get my point now I'm afraid you never will.

I think I've discovered why we're having trouble agreeing with one another: I've been framing my arguments in an objective manner whereas you've been framing them in a subjective manner. I've never attempted to argue on the subjective side because it's pointless: everyone has their own tastes and technically anything can be better than anything else by that standard. Hell, we could say poo tastes better than pizza. I'm arguing this objectively: the PC has a MUCH better online exprience, it has a much better visual and audio experience. it has a much better control experience etc.. I removed the subjective complexity of saying "I like game A better than game B therefore platform X is the best" because it's a pointless argument. My objective argument still stands on the basis of what I argued before and so does yours (put into the subjective context that you were arguing it in). Just keep in mind that argument was never a subjective one.

@SirPsychoSexy said:

@RsistncE: Any retard could figure out a PC game will be more likely to not run properly than a console game. How you call yourself a gamer and do not understand this blows my mind. I am done with this thread. peace

Thank you for ignoring the fact based post I just replied to you with that factually proved to you that console games do indeed have problems and when they do that they can be quite widespread. In fact, taking into account that massive number of 360's that have failed, more console gamers have probably had trouble with their console gaming experience than PC gamers with theirs. Ouch, that hurts. I'm guessing your non-response to any of this is an admittance of your loss in this argument. Good day to you sir.

EDIT: Also it may do you some good to read back on my posts. I never said that PC games don't have any more issues than consoles games, just that everyone here is talking about them in an overblown matter, as if you'll never be able to run a PC game without running into a problem. This is not true: the fact of the reality is that PC gamers don't encounter THAT many more issues than console gamers, as I've clearly shown you with some of my links. Obviously you haven't read them, so, whatever.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#146  Edited By swoxx

Can't we all just get along? I got all 3 platforms and enjoy different games on them all. It's all good

Hellstrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Hellstrom

As i said before in this thread. Consoles are great for fun with your best buds. I mean 360 is my favorite console of all time. However PC is definately better for the overall experience of a game. You can get more out of a game (espeacialy single player) for a lot less money. Unless you're Australian that is Lol.

One thing i hate about consoles is their limitations. I mean in a game like Dragon Age Origins. If you aren't satisfied with the limited character creation Bioware has. On Pc you can always use mods & morphs. Same with NPC characters. Morrigan looks to emo for your taste?

Now she's smoking hot brunnette.

No Caption Provided

The custom spells, plots, weapons, & areas are also always a blast. Its also gonna be a long while before consoles ever have a character creation as awesome & indepth as Eve: Online. I hate playing RPG's on consoles because i'm never satisfied with the limited tools they give you. Seriously look up Eve Online Character Creation on youtube and see how games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Oblivion, & Fallout pale in comparison. So yeah......i may have a shitload of fun with multiplayer titles on 360 but any sort of single player experience or MMO = PC all the way!

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Icemael
@RsistncE: Well, yeah. That should've been obvious from my very first post.

There is no such thing as "objectively better", by the way, but that's another story.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By RsistncE

@Icemael said:

@RsistncE: Well, yeah. That should've been obvious from my very first post.There is no such thing as "objectively better", by the way, but that's another story.

Admittedly it should have also been obvious from my first post that I was discounting subjective experience from the argument and was talking about objective value. Either way we both made a mistake, let's leave it at that.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By CaptainCody
@RsistncE said:

@Icemael said:

@RsistncE: Well, yeah. That should've been obvious from my very first post.There is no such thing as "objectively better", by the way, but that's another story.

Admittedly it should have also been obvious from my first post that I was discounting subjective experience from the argument and was talking about objective value. Either way we both made a mistake, let's leave it at that.

Their isn't really anything such as, "objective value." That's just elitism speaking, you don't seem capable of creating an impartial arguement.