Why is the Endurance run setup the way it is?

kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kelbear

I'm relatively new around here, can anyone explain why the endurance run has 2 separate pairs playing through the same game?

I'm really digging the Deadly Premonition playthrough, but after starting with Brad and Ryan, I can't commit to watching Jeff and Vinny do the same things. 

I'm assuming they do it in pairs instead of as a foursame so that 4 people aren't talking over each other and the game. But why do the same game? Seems like they could double the endurance run content by doing different games. Did they ever comment on this?

How do they pick the game for their endurance runs?

Colf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Colf

Watch vinny and jeff, they are much better and funnier.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By DystopiaX
@Colf said:
" Watch vinny and jeff, they are much better and funnier. "
lies. BR got to a slower start but I like them better now.
kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kishan6
@DystopiaX said:
" @Colf said:
lies. BR got to a slower start but I like them better now. "
QFT 
BR ftw
Colf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Colf
@DystopiaX: All right. I see your point they have the radio and the infinite smg while vj only has the smg but no radio. (They do have a infinite shotty though.)
cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By cap123

@kishan6 said:

" @DystopiaX said:

" @Colf said:
QFT BR ftw "
  i also agree with these guys.

anybody watching VJ should totally give BR another look in
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DystopiaX
@Colf said:
" @DystopiaX: All right. I see your point they have the radio and the infinite smg while vj only has the smg but no radio. (They do have a infinite shotty though.) "
Yeah but I can see why you wouldn't want to go through all of the wall lady shit to get it. It would have been too tedious to watch Brad play through that. 

Also, Brad's voice. 

In terms of humor, I think both are equally funny but i can't keep up with 2 a day so I just watch BR.
endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By endaround
@kelbear: To actually answer your questions.  Vinny originally wanted to play Persona 4 because he enjoyed the time he spent with Persona 3 but never thought he would have the time nor the "endurance" to play 100 hours by himself.  so he thought he'd do it 20-40 minutes at a time at work.  He roped Jeff in with him so there would be conversation.  Hence two men teams were born.  As to how they choose Deadly Premonition, they just seemed to be buggged enough to do so and Brad and Ryan decided to do the same game as Vinny and Jeff though I'm not sure that is the best call.
Dom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Dom
I watch both, though the game is the same, they do different things in-between "missions" 
Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Hourai
@Colf said:
Not with Jeff being half-asleep during every recent episode. 
Tuggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Tuggah

I thought I was weird for finding BR funnier. Yay not being weird.

kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kelbear
@endaround said:
" @kelbear: To actually answer your questions.  Vinny originally wanted to play Persona 4 because he enjoyed the time he spent with Persona 3 but never thought he would have the time nor the "endurance" to play 100 hours by himself.  so he thought he'd do it 20-40 minutes at a time at work.  He roped Jeff in with him so there would be conversation.  Hence two men teams were born.  As to how they choose Deadly Premonition, they just seemed to be buggged enough to do so and Brad and Ryan decided to do the same game as Vinny and Jeff though I'm not sure that is the best call. "

Thanks!

I guess everybody got the jump on my next question: Which of the two pairs is the most fun to watch?

I have a sort of love/hate relationship with Brad's gameplay. It's frustrating and hilarious to watch him struggle, I get the sense that Ryan is figuring stuff out ahead of Brad, but prefers to just delight in his fumbling rather than just telling him what he's doing wrong. Seriously, with both of them watching the same screen, and NOTHING going on, you'd figure one of them would notice that there's only 2 bullets left in that pistol...
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_A_Drain

I think they all just wanted to play it, and as you say 4 people talking over each other is a bit too much stuff going on. That's all, it may/may not be a regular thing, it's only the second ER ever :P

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By schizogony

I tried to watch these but watching that game is really, really hard to do.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By dichemstys
@schizogony said:
" I tried to watch these but watching that game is really, really hard to do. "
I got around to watching a little bit of the Persona one, and I can't watch this one at all. 
Maybe it's just me. I'd rather play the game than watch someone else play it.
samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By samcotts

I have no idea whatsoever why anyone would rather watch BR over VJ. I watch and love both, but VJ is by far the funnier out of the two. Brad and Ryan just don't have the comedic, or just straight up chemistry that Vinny and Jeff do.

GiveUpNed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GiveUpNed

I enjoy watching  5-10 minutes of each video. I think it's good for the games as it gives them exposure.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By warxsnake

dude, its so i can watch the same thing twice at work and not get bored! 

endurance run ftw.

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Supermarius

its just unfortunate that they have picked a game that they ultimately do not seem to like. With persona 4 i believe they started out believing that they would not really like the game and would not stick with it. However they were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the writing and characters and not overly put off by the grindey rpg mechanics. It turns out that Persona 4 is one of the greatest RPG's ever made and that makes it an insanely difficult act to follow. Persona 4 was a game that was quirky, but cooly self-aware.  It was as smart as the GB crew and contemporaneous enough that Jeff and Vinny's jokes worked for it. Honestly, persona 4 turned out to be such a perfect choice that i cant think of a followup that would not be disappointing.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I watched both ERs for the first 3 episodes.  I stuck with VJ.  I'll watch BR when this ER is over.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FacelessVixen

I've mainly stuck with V&J, but B&R have their moments.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By Animasta

personally I want to see more mini endurance runs; the bad dudes and afterburner climax ones were awesome.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#23  Edited By Legend

I personally think it's a fantastic idea to have two teams playing the same game. I like to see the different reactions to the game's insane plot and quirky characters. There is also so much to do in Greenvale, so if one team misses something, there is always a good chance that the other team won't. And as you see from the early replies here, there is a sense of competition going on between the two teams which makes the Endurance Run all the more exciting.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By mikemcn
@DystopiaX said:
" @Colf said:
Yea, the demon dog thing threw them into the lead, it was fucking hilarious." THERES A DOG IN THAT INTERESCTION, THERES A DOG IN THAT INTERSECTION!" - Ryan
turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By turboman

BR > VJ 

I watch both, I enjoy BR's better because Brad's playing style keeps me on the edge of my seat all the time.