Will I ever love FPS games again?

Avatar image for deactivated-589b97df1f8d4
deactivated-589b97df1f8d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

OK, this happened to me back in 2007, after I bought Call of Duty 4. After I got tired of COD 4, I just wasnt into them anymore. I passed on COD Modern Warfare 2, Halo ODST, Halo Reach, KillZone 2 and COD Black Ops. After I saw many of KillZone 3 reviews, its looks pretty sweet but they say that the story is super lame. Yeah and I know that many say that when it comes to FPS games, the story doesnt matter, but Im sorry I  need a good story for me to play the single player mode. But there is a part of me that still wants to play it. Should I give it a chance or just pass on that aswell and hope that the spark comes back?
ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By ESREVER

I've kind of accepted FPSs to not have a good story going in. I'm just there to shoot people/robots/aliens/zombies in the face. I'm sure Deus Ex will have ya covered in the story department though. 
I'm mostly there for the cool set pieces and interesting scripted events they have me encounter. Sometimes a game will bust out something new and have me look back at that and say "Well, that was pretty neat."  

However, its the competitive FPS that has lost my love. I hate the CoD gameplay rearing its ugly head in all my games. Perks and Killstreaks are garbage to me, that's why I've avoided any Modern FPS for a few years now. 
Please BRINK, please be my FPS savior...

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By audiosnag
@quantumshift5: 
Half Life 2: Episode 3 my friend.
It's coming to save us. Save us all.
Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Andorski
@audiosnag said:
" @quantumshift5:  Half Life 2: Episode 3 my friend. It's coming to save us. Save us all. "
Valve will have to finish Portal 5 and Left 4 Dead 7 first.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By JJOR64
@Andorski said:
" @audiosnag said:
" @quantumshift5:  Half Life 2: Episode 3 my friend. It's coming to save us. Save us all. "
Valve will have to finish Portal 5 and Left 4 Dead 7 first. "
You mean Portal 34905787656?
audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By audiosnag
@JJOR64 said:
" @Andorski said:
" @audiosnag said:
You mean Portal 34905787656? "
I...I can keep wishing though....why does Gabe want to make me sad?
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JJOR64
@audiosnag said:
" @JJOR64 said:
" @Andorski said:
" @audiosnag said:
I...I can keep wishing though....why does Gabe want to make me sad? "
Because they want you to buy other FPS games on Steam to hopefully fill the gap till Half Life 2 Ep. 3 comes out.  But then you realize the game you just bought doesn't fill the gap, so you buy another FPS game to try it again to see if it helps.  Rinse and repeat.  It's all part of Valve's money scam.
audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By audiosnag
@JJOR64 said:
" @audiosnag said:
" @JJOR64 said:
" @Andorski said:
" @audiosnag said:
I...I can keep wishing though....why does Gabe want to make me sad? "
Because they want you to buy other FPS games on Steam to hopefully fill the gap till Half Life 2 Ep. 3 comes out.  But then you realize the game you just bought doesn't fill the gap, so you buy another FPS game to try it again to see if it helps.  Rinse and repeat.  It's all part of Valve's money scam. "
Bastards...well jokes on them all I've picked up was TF2.
GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GunnBjorn

I don't see what's the issue. If you lost interest in FPSs, then you're not going to miss out on them, now do you. So, what's the loss?
Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Just go RPG brah...join the dark side,we have cookies,and vodka XD

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By xyzygy

Deus Ex 3 is coming. 

Reach and The Darkness are the only two FPS' this generation that I actually loved. Everything else was a major pass. Well I liked Condemned but that game is more of a survival FPS so it's a bit different. 

I loved Half Life 2 as well but I'm pretty sure that's last gen, consider it was on the original Xbox and all. lol

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By DystopiaX

Hard to tell...if you look at FPS, there traditionally are games that shift the formula...Halo CE brought it to consoles, CoD4 made it faster/modern military/perks/ADS, so who knows what the next game will bring? Brink with its integrated single/multiplayer and different objectives/dynamic movement and class system may do it, maybe BF3 will be really good, who knows.

Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tsoglani

I would check out Killzone 3 if I were you; the story is supposedly better than in Killzone 2, and it attempts to flesh out the machinations of the Helghast. 

Seems like a must-play if you are a fan of the FPS.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Sin4profit
@Tarsier said:
" try left 4 dead 1 and 2  they are a brand new type of gameplay never before seen in an fps game "
you mean like sven co-op from the half life 1 days?
GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GunnBjorn
@Tsoglani said:
"I would check out Killzone 3 if I were you; the story is supposedly better than in Killzone 2, and it attempts to flesh out the machinations of the Helghast.   Seems like a must-play if you are a fan of the FPS. "

I don't know where you got your information, but according the review I've read, Killzone 3's story is atrocious.
02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By 02sfraser
@TheDudeOfGaming said:
" Just go RPG brah...join the dark side,we have cookies,and vodka XD "
Tasty tasty vodka!
FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By FiestaUnicorn
@JJOR64 said:
" @Andorski said:
" @audiosnag said:

After Portal 34905787656 they're going to make The Portal, then maybe they'll make a new Half Life.
chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By chrissedoff

killzone isn't what i would recommend to someone who thinks that fps games are a slog. it's more of a slog than most. if halo or battlefield or whatever don't turn you on, killzone won't either, unless you are just a total anomaly.

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Aurelito

No, never.
As long as they all have an iron scope machine gun with some girl techno bubbling on your ear, no.
 Also teamwork is getting a little bit annoying. It was awesome back in the days. But why the hell are ALL devs using it now?

Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Reuben

I say rent KZ3 for the campaign and buy it if you're planning to play the MP.

Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Tsoglani
@GunnBjorn said:
" @Tsoglani said:
"I would check out Killzone 3 if I were you; the story is supposedly better than in Killzone 2, and it attempts to flesh out the machinations of the Helghast.   Seems like a must-play if you are a fan of the FPS. "

I don't know where you got your information, but according the review I've read, Killzone 3's story is atrocious. "
Yeah, better than Killzone 2 story though.
memo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By memo

Maybe FPS aren't you game of preference no more....I confess that I'm not a huge fan of FPS but I mainly play since my friends are on it.  I will prefer something more original. Like Mass Effect, or Enslaved.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By LackingSaint

Both the Bioshock games have outstanding stories, as does System Shock 2 if you want to go back a bit. There's also the Half-Life and Portal series. Metro 2033 and Singularity are both great. STALKER could be your thing.

Honestly, the FPS genre is in a really bad place right now because the ONLY things that sell gangbusters are games like Call of Duty, so almost every FPS is trying to copy it. Unfortunately, I don't like Call of Duty's playstyle at all but I do love the FPS genre, so for now I just have to seek out the FPS worth playing.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JazGalaxy
@audiosnag said:
Everytime I ifire up Half Life 2 episodes I remember... I actually don't like HL2. 

It's brilliant. Don't get me wrong. But what it's not is a FPS. It's more of a "first person experience". WHen I fired up the orange box version of Ep2 ready to shoot badguys and spent the next 45 minutes listening to Alex talk, platforming, and using the gravity gun to shift junk around it made me long for the days of Duke Nukem and Quake 1.
Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

FPS games have no point anymore save for the whole ''Just do what CoD 4 did!'' thing. Seriously, as much as that game was a revolution to developers I'm starting to hate it a lot for ruining the variety in shooters these days.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NTM
@quantumshift5:
I don't know, I need a decent story as well. I think you should have kept playing shooters to see if the "spark" comes back. Not just stop playing them waiting for a game to look good enough. I think you should anticipate Crysis 2 more than Killzone 3. Not that I don't think Killzone 3 will be great, but Crysis is a whole other story when it comes to expectations.
ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ShaunassNZ
@JJOR64 said:
" @Andorski said:
" @audiosnag said:
Wait is Vavle getting bought by Activision?