Will we see cartridge gaming return next generation?

• 70 results
Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Commando

Since flash memory is getting so much cheaper now, and I don't expect Microsoft or Nintendo to adopt Blu Ray, do you think they'll revert to cartridge gaming next generation?
Or do you think they'll develop their own high capacity disks like the Gamecube did?

I mean it's becoming obvious that next generation consoles won't use standard DVDs with HD games taking up more space, and they'll have to move past the 9 gigs that standard dual layer DVDs are limited to.

Pros to flash memory:
Speedy, almost no loading times
More resilient than discs.
Simple to load onto them.

Cons:
Cost about three times as much per gig as Blu Ray

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By BraveToaster

Heavens no, silly goose.

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

And collecting games would feel special again.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By zidd

if given a choice between 64GB of flash memory for a couple of dollars each or a 50GB Blu-ray for pennies I think the choice is pretty clear.

proggykins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By proggykins

If all games just came on an SD card, I would be happy. The loading times for blu-rays can be frustrating, and Microsoft's pricing structure for their HDDs is ridiculous.

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Djeffers03

Highly doubt it.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Anund

I think consoles are more than just gaming machines today. They are more like entertainment centers, thus choosing anything other than Bluray would be a mistake: at least I would find it a huge step backward having to buy a standalone Bluray player again, because my new console decided to take a leap in technology back into the 90's.

ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By ColinWright

That would be pretty awesome. But, I don't see it happening.

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Commando
@Zidd said:
if given a choice between 64GB of flash memory for a couple of dollars each or a 50GB Blu-ray for pennies I think the choice is pretty clear.
If it only costs pennies to make dual layer Blu Ray disks, then Sony is ripping everyone off. I mean $50 for three disks at Best Buy for something that you say costs them pennies?
SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By SBYM

Only if companies go back to playing up how many bits and/or megs their cart has. I remember some SNES games having the amount right on the front of the box like it was some huge deal.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Marz

No, next evolution is digital download onto large capacity hard drive on the console itself.  They won't waste money developing new media formats.  They'll just pack the games onto multi-DVD packages for those who choose not to adopt the digital future since it's alot cheaper that way.

ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ColinWright
@Commando said:
@Zidd said:
If it only costs pennies to make dual layer Blu Ray disks, then Sony is ripping everyone off. I mean $50 for three disks at Best Buy for something that you say costs them pennies?
They also sell HDMI cables for hundreds of dollars.
onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By onarum

That makes lot's of sense actually, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if the "cafe" ends up using flash based cartridges, hell I bet they could make 32GB cartridges cost effective if they mass produce it, that'd be sweet.

Burzmali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Burzmali
@Commando said:
@Zidd said:
That's Best Buy ripping people off. Newegg has sales of dual layer discs all the time that come out to about $2.50 per disc. Imagine a disc-pressing company that purchases tens or hundreds of thousands of discs at a time, instead of just 20-disc spindles. No way they're paying more than $0.50 per disc, if even that.
Super_Yosh_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Super_Yosh_64
@Commando:
no
that would be pointless
sony will most likely continue with blu-ray and microsoft will either go do the same or go digital
zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By zidd
@Commando: Disc production isn't the only cost involved with making a game. Theres the actual cost of developing the game (Tens of millions of dollars for a AAA title), packaging and shipping costs, retailer profit, publisher profit and marketing costs. The cost of games has been $40-60 pretty consistently over the past few decades which is pretty astounding considering production costs have skyrocketed.
TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By TheHBK

Wow dude, no way.  the solution is to have huge hard drives on the console and sell all games digitally.  Of course MS will include a Blu ray drive, I can't see how they won't.  Of course digital distribution can piss off important partners in selling hardware like Gamestop because well that cuts into people going to their store to buy new games and it also means less used game business.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jack268
@Marz said:
No, next evolution is digital download onto large capacity hard drive on the console itself.  They won't waste money developing new media formats.  They'll just pack the games onto multi-DVD packages for those who choose not to adopt the digital future since it's alot cheaper that way.
And then eventually, in the generation after the Project Café/PS4/Xboxwhatever generation, SSDs will be a standard in the consoles and we'll have cartridge-esque load times without filling our houses with boxes and discs. It's a beautiful future.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By zidd
@wh4tshisface: The price of cables is another discussion altogether. I can sum it up in a single sentence though. You will get the same picture and sound quality with a coathanger as you would with a nitrogen and unicorn blood infused unobtanium silver alloy monster cable.
Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At some point in the future, yeah, it's just still too expensive for them at the moment. Especially considering they make losses (or very little profit these days?) on console hardware, need to have decent margins on the games. 

All this stuff is on the cusp of being viable, like a download-only console. Wouldn't work now, but give it a few years and we'll be getting towards a tech situation where it seems entirely reasonable. 
zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By zidd
@drag: not if the major telcos and ISPs get their way and put incredibly low data caps on our internet usage. 
laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By laserbolts
Of course not.
wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I still think there is still too much life in blu-ray at this point that it would be silly for at least Microsoft to adopt the technology.

Avatar image for detectivespecial
DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DetectiveSpecial

The Blu-ray drive in the PS3 is extremely out-dated. Newer devices have been able to load data from discs much faster, and I would assume that new consoles would do the same.

I think Sony should give Microsoft Blu-ray licensing in exchange for Skype licensing.  That seems fair.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By Video_Game_King

Hell no. The next generation will probably have discs, but it may be the last one before everybody just moves onto digital distribution.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Yanngc33

That would be pretty awesome but I doubt it

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Project Café and the next Xbox will use blu-ray, I guarantee it. 

Anything else is inadequate at this point, and we're still quite a few years off HVD becoming a standard.
Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If its still expensive, then we won't see it, but I support it nonetheless.

It has an obvious advantage and I have the feeling all my cartridges will never cease to function yet my dvd's barely last a generation...

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29  Edited By Deranged

Nah bro.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#30  Edited By JackiJinx

Not likely, nope.

ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ColinWright
@Zidd said:
@wh4tshisface: The price of cables is another discussion altogether. I can sum it up in a single sentence though. You will get the same picture and sound quality with a coathanger as you would with a nitrogen and unicorn blood infused unobtanium silver alloy monster cable.
That was my point. Just as one can buy a 4-pack of blurays for 3 bucks that work the same.
zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By zidd
@wh4tshisface: none of those blu-rays in the 4 pack contains a 50 million dollar game.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By toowalrus

That'd be rad, if each game came on like a 3inch by 3 inch flash card.

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Commando
@Burzmali said:
@Commando said:
@Zidd said:
That's Best Buy ripping people off. Newegg has sales of dual layer discs all the time that come out to about $2.50 per disc. Imagine a disc-pressing company that purchases tens or hundreds of thousands of discs at a time, instead of just 20-disc spindles. No way they're paying more than $0.50 per disc, if even that.
I have yet to see that. The cheapest single dual layer disc on Newegg is $12.99. A 10 pack is $81.99 which is $8.20 per disc.
Yes most games don't need dual layer anyways, but dual layer is still a lot more expensive than people think.
Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#35  Edited By Grumbel
@Commando said:
Since flash memory is getting so much cheaper now, and I don't expect Microsoft or Nintendo to adopt Blu Ray, do you think they'll revert to cartridge gaming next generation?
I don't think so. While flash memory is getting cheaper all the time, it is not getting that cheap. You still pay essentially $1/GiB and it will take years to get that down to compete with optical media, which will probably be to late for the next generation. For mobile devices the situation of course looks different and non-optical has essentially won there (not so much due to price, but due to a mechanical drive on portable being a mess).

That said, game storage requirements have remained kind of constant over the years, even today you find only a few games that need more then one DVD. So if there ever comes a medium around that is large enough, but offers other advantages (you could do better copy protection with active flash media, then with passive mass produced DVD), I wouldn't be surprised to see them jump on that. If that happens before they all go online-only, I don't know.
zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By zidd
@Commando: Publishers do not buy individual discs from newegg. They get pressed in manufacturing runs ranging in the hundreds of thousands to millions at once and that drives the cost down.
Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Enigma777
No
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#38  Edited By Hizang

No, they still use them for the DS btw.
ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ColinWright
@Zidd said:
@wh4tshisface: none of those blu-rays in the 4 pack contains a 50 million dollar game.
No shit. I was replying to his comment about a 4pack of blurays at best buy costing $50. Jesus, I don't know why you're so combative.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Yanngc33 said:
Aw yeah man, I love paying more for games! RADICAL
1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By 1337W422102
No Caption Provided
Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#42  Edited By Yanngc33
@MysteriousBob said:
@Yanngc33 said:
Aw yeah man, I love paying more for games! RADICAL
I miss not having them work anymore and having to blow the dust off because I haven't played the game in 2 months
Burzmali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Burzmali
@Commando said:
@Burzmali said:
@Commando said:
@Zidd said:
I have yet to see that. The cheapest single dual layer disc on Newegg is $12.99. A 10 pack is $81.99 which is $8.20 per disc.Yes most games don't need dual layer anyways, but dual layer is still a lot more expensive than people think.
Ah, you're right. I was thinking single-layer. Regardless, most PS3 games aren't big enough to warrant DL discs.
jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44  Edited By jNerd
@W0lfbl1tzers said:
And collecting games would feel special again.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By iam3green

no, i hope that doesn't happen. it would suck if that happened. it would be pretty crazy for that to happen. the next thing is going to be digital where you have to download the games.

InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By InternetCrab

I don't think so really. Even though i loved cartridges back in the day because it didn't break easy like discs, and it really felt awesome collecting these badboys. Just that i highly doubt they will ever come back. They'll either stay with the discs or just go with USB sticks or something.
Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Franstone

Negative...
It costs more.
From what I hear, companies don't like when their product costs more to make.  ; )

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Karl_Boss

That would be expensive.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49  Edited By FesteringNeon

I think if anything MS will set the tone. My guess is that Nintendo follows the traditional route, MS trys a different approach in something that makes blu ray seem obsolete, and trying not to be outdone Sony takes another giant leap (unless they've learned from this last generation)

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By TheHBK
@rebgav said:
@TheHBK said:
Of course MS will include a Blu ray drive, I can't see how they won't.  Of course digital distribution can piss off important partners in selling hardware like Gamestop because well that cuts into people going to their store to buy new games and it also means less used game business.
No platform owner is going to switch to digital distribution until retail is diminished. The two main reasons not to go download-only are that you'll disenfranchise an enormous section of the market who don't have adequate internet access and you'll scare off publishers who are much happier selling millions of units to retailers than selling individual units to consumers. No home platform will be download only until it's the only solution for all platforms.

And Microsoft are unlikely to buy in to blu-ray. That would mean giving Sony free money for every xbox built and every copy of every xbox game pressed. That would be beyond stupid. 
Well, I am sure a lot of people would agree with me that they will bite the bullet on this one.  Blu Ray has to be in, especially if they want to be the center of the media hub of a home.  Like you said, digital is not all the way there and people love to buy retail except when it comes to music so that includes movies.  Though I agree with you about why digital is still a ways off.  But back to blu ray, companies do this all the time and sometimes pay a rival for parts they need.  Apple does that with Sony and cameras, and even Microsoft does it a little right now.  Sony is the face of Blu Ray, but they also have patents and rights when it comes to DVD, they had a hand in the format too.