Will you stick with discs in the next-gen world?

• 106 results
isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 26

Poll Will you stick with discs in the next-gen world? (443 votes)

I will only buy discs. 8%
I will buy discs, but maybe also some digital downloads depending on price etc. 46%
I will probably buy both in equal amounts. 18%
I will buy digital downloads, but maybe also some discs depending on price etc. 23%
I will only buy digital downloads. 6%

Both major console manufacturers have now announced plans to release all games on day one in both digital and disc form. What I'm interested in knowing is what format the duders on the forum are leaning towards? Are you drawn in by the convenience of digital downloads or do you feel the need to trade in and borrow your games in a physical format?

Personally I'm ready to buy all my games digitally, but since physical games work the same way as downloads on the Xbox One I'm not opposed to buying discs if they show up on sale or whatnot.

PS: I sort of remember there being a similar thread a few months back, but since the forum search sucks I wasn't able to find it. Maybe it's good to start a new one anyways to nullify the pre-E3 results.

• 
bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

All digital anyway thanks to Steam.

PS Vita has shown me that all digital can work for consoles/handhelds (my brief honeymoon with the 3DS did not).

If I do get a PS4, I will be all digital - depending on price.

Bishop113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By Bishop113

I've bought over 300 Steam games, I have no problem with that, but for some reason I never want to buy console games digitally, I think part of the reason might just be that I know for fact that the console will eventually get cycled out for new ones and late in the generation I'll end up switching focus back to PC.

But I'll probably buy both for PS4 and Xbone, depends on prices and the game and such, I expect DRM will be present on a lot of games for both platforms regardless of Sony or MS's DRM policies so selling games on ebay isn't really in my mind anymore.

Fierrze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Usually i like to buy my console games as a physical copies, but this gen i have bought some games as digital downloads, when the price has been much lower than buying it at retail. The reason is same as @bishop113 said, that eventually the consoles are gonna get phased out and the online stores are gonna get closed, so at least i have the physical copies to throw in and play, if i want to plug in this gen consoles for some gaming long after they have been phased out.

Cleron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Cleron

Price is a major issue, but my bandwidth limits don't allow me to go crazy with digital, and my download speed from the US is typically under 500k so it can take quite a while.

Wraxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Depends on the price at the moment on PSN in the UK a game costs £60 normally while a disc copy costs £40 on average. Having said that The Last of Us is the first game they've released on PSN that is £40 on the same day as the physical release.

Adaurin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I bought Last of Us on PSN then found out its a 35GB download, whoops! Maybe I'll play it by 2015

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Mostly Discs. I like the idea of playing games 20 years down the road, when nostalgia hits me and all servers are long gone.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

I plan to go the digital route as much as I can. I'll occasionally buy discs though.