Wired Controllers for PC

BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By BigLemon

So I am a long time console gamer, and I have recently made the move to playing a fair amount of PC games after building my own rig about a year ago. However, not having been bred and raised on PC games, I'm not as accustomed to playing FPS and 3rd Person action-type games with the keyboard and mouse. I feel as if games like Batman: Arham Asylum, Super Meat Boy, and ME2 would play a little more comfortably (for me at least) with an actual controller. I have been browsing Amazon today for some options, and I was wondering what any of your experiences have been with playing PC games with a controller, and what controllers or controller facsimiles work best for the PC. (I'm running a 64-bit version of Windows 7 if there is a compatible issue with any peripherals, just for reference)

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By zombie2011

Just buy a 360 controller.

Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Portis

The easiest answer would be to buy a wired Xbox 360 controller. It's automatically recognized by a lot of games. It's also plug-and-play with Windows 7, just plug it in and you're good to go. Windows will install everything you need. 

I use the wired 360 controller for just about every single player game I play on PC. Never had any problems with it.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By crusader8463

Just get a 360 controller that has the PC compatible sticker on it, or a Dual Shock 3 and this program. Both work fine, but the PS3 controller requires a little frigging around to get working right, but nothing more complex then installing said program and clicking a few check boxes. So pick whatever one is cheapest and/or you prefer the feel of.

Also, if you plan to play shooters you are going to get your ass handed to you if you use a controller online. You could probably get away with it in single player, but learn the KBM if you plan to play online.

BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BigLemon
@Portis: Yeah, that's what I was planning on. But on Amazon, they list two separate controllers. THIS one specifically states it is "for Windows", and THIS one does not, but it costs less and comes in black. There isn't a discernible difference, as far as I can tell... 

@crusader8463 said:
"  Also, if you plan to play shooters you are going to get your ass handed to you if you use a controller online. You could probably get away with it in single player, but learn the KBM if you plan to play online. "
Yeah I definitely wouldn't attempt to play Modern Warfare or BC2 in on-line multi-player with a controller. There is no way i could compete with a mouse haha.
indirectx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By indirectx
@BigLemon:  If you have a 360 or PS3 controller you should be able to use them on windows.

I currently use a DualShock3 connected over the USB cable with MotioninJoy drivers. These are signed finally for use on windows 7 64bit, the OS I'm on as well, and they work quite well. You can even set them to emulate a 360 controller as some games have profiles setup for that particular controller.

As far as the 360 controller MS put this page together here to tell you how to do that.
utlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By utlas

" Just buy a 360 controller. "

This!

And also, I belive that a Dual Shcok 3 will do the trick aswell
Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Hunkulese

If you look in the computer section of walmart they sell the wireless 360 controller with the adapter for $5 more than a regular wireless controller. The controller will work with your PC and 360.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Wired 360 controller works very easily.  Just plug it in and it works.

BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BigLemon

Awesome, thanks y'all. Mods can close this shit down. 

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Skytylz
@BigLemon: Those controllers are exactly the same, it's just branding!
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By MysteriousBob
@BigLemon said:
" @Portis: Yeah, that's what I was planning on. But on Amazon, they list two separate controllers. THIS one specifically states it is "for Windows", and THIS one does not, but it costs less and comes in black. There isn't a discernible difference, as far as I can tell... "
There is no difference whatsoever. Its just different packaging. 

Playing an FPS on a PC with a controller is... redundant. Even with me being a console gamer I can see that. I suggest you learn how to use a keyboard plus mouse. I fully support console versions of FPS games, but at the end of the day even I must admit they're better with a mouse.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jimbo

You can use a regular wired 360 controller.  The only difference compared to the 'PC version' is you can't use the dashboard button for anything iirc.  Ain't no thang.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought the wireless receiver for 360 controllers, Its cheaper than a wired controller and means you have one less controller in your house. Works a charm and I recommend it. Unless you specifically wanted a wired controller.  

Definitely worth playing third person games with it, Just Cause 2, Dead Space and Gears of War were much better to me with a controller than m+k.

BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BigLemon
@MysteriousBob said:
" @BigLemon said:
" @Portis: Yeah, that's what I was planning on. But on Amazon, they list two separate controllers. THIS one specifically states it is "for Windows", and THIS one does not, but it costs less and comes in black. There isn't a discernible difference, as far as I can tell... "
There is no difference whatsoever. Its just different packaging.  Playing an FPS on a PC with a controller is... redundant. Even with me being a console gamer I can see that. I suggest you learn how to use a keyboard plus mouse. I fully support console versions of FPS games, but at the end of the day even I must admit they're better with a mouse. "
Yeah I definitely agree with you. KBM is the only way to play an FPS on the PC. Man, look at those acronyms...
Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Nictel

There is one big disadvantage to the PS3 controller. You need to press the PS button to turn it on, which in turn (if your PS3 is on standby) turns on your PS3 and sets it to the console instead of the PC. 

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#17  Edited By pyromagnestir
BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BigLemon
nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By nukesniper
@BigLemon: Wired 360 controller. Most games will just switch to Xbox layouts instantly when they find the controller. That's how I played Batman. 
BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BigLemon
@nukesniper:  Yeah I have been struggling through Batman with keyboard and mouse. Definitely does not add to the experience haha.
bibledoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By bibledoctor
@Portis said:
" The easiest answer would be to buy a wired Xbox 360 controller. It's automatically recognized by a lot of games. It's also plug-and-play with Windows 7, just plug it in and you're good to go. Windows will install everything you need.  I use the wired 360 controller for just about every single player game I play on PC. Never had any problems with it. "
Thank you for this, I've always used my PC and my consoles for gaming. But i've been buying a lot more games through Steam lately and figure I better just jump on this. 

I'll be running out and getting a wired controller, for sure.
teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
@Nictel said:

" There is one big disadvantage to the PS3 controller. You need to press the PS button to turn it on, which in turn (if your PS3 is on standby) turns on your PS3 and sets it to the console instead of the PC.  "

Nonsense.  I use the PS3 controller on the PC (with motionjoy) without having to press the PS button to turn it on.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jimbo said:
" You can use a regular wired 360 controller.  The only difference compared to the 'PC version' is you can't use the dashboard button for anything iirc.  Ain't no thang. "
Nope.

I use the wired controller I got with my launch Core console, and on GFWL games (the only ones that have a "dashboard" as such) the button works no worries at all.

Or maybe I misunderstood what you said.
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By Daveyo520

A good ol' wired 360 controller.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jimbo
@Khann said:
" @Jimbo said:
" You can use a regular wired 360 controller.  The only difference compared to the 'PC version' is you can't use the dashboard button for anything iirc.  Ain't no thang. "
Nope.  I use the wired controller I got with my launch Core console, and on GFWL games (the only ones that have a "dashboard" as such) the button works no worries at all.  Or maybe I misunderstood what you said. "
Apart from as a dashboard button then I guess, maybe.
Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By Nictel
@teh_pwnzorer said:
" @Nictel said:

" There is one big disadvantage to the PS3 controller. You need to press the PS button to turn it on, which in turn (if your PS3 is on standby) turns on your PS3 and sets it to the console instead of the PC.  "

Nonsense.  I use the PS3 controller on the PC (with motionjoy) without having to press the PS button to turn it on. "
Weird I need to press the PS button. Then again I have one of the old sixaxis, so maybe that's the reason?
Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By Marz

PC works fine with a wired xbox 360 controller.  Drivers are already built in Vista and windows 7 so it's plug n play.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
@BigLemon said:
" @Portis: Yeah, that's what I was planning on. But on Amazon, they list two separate controllers. THIS one specifically states it is "for Windows", and THIS one does not, but it costs less and comes in black. There isn't a discernible difference, as far as I can tell... 

@crusader8463 said:
"  Also, if you plan to play shooters you are going to get your ass handed to you if you use a controller online. You could probably get away with it in single player, but learn the KBM if you plan to play online. "
Yeah I definitely wouldn't attempt to play Modern Warfare or BC2 in on-line multi-player with a controller. There is no way i could compete with a mouse haha. "
It just means one has the driver and one doesn't but can be downloaded on the internets.
tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By tebbit
@Utlas said:
"

" Just buy a 360 controller. "

This!  And also, I belive that a Dual Shcok 3 will do the trick aswell "
Well, except the Dualshock lacks official compatibility, so you need to download the crappy MotioninJoy thing. Which made my touchpad stop working when it was installed :S
taccyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By taccyp

I use the motion joy drivers with my PS3 controller. Works like a charm.

HawkSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#31  Edited By HawkSE

Yeah I use a regular 360 controller. it's pretty universal with today's games and some old games (pre-2005 of the 360 controller) and does well.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

The 360 will be by far the best controller you could use for the PC. They have all the buttons you'll need, they are of the highest quality, and work natively with windows. I'm pretty sure Windows 7 already has the drivers.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Scrawnto

I definitely use my wired 360 controller for Batman: AA, Assassin's Creed 2, Super Meat Boy, and such. It works very well. Lots of games recognize it immediately. I wouldn't for something like Mass Effect 2 or Bad Company 2 though. The precision from the mouse is more important in those games. I always feel like I'm fighting the controls in console shooters. Even when I know that everyone else has the same limitations, I feel like I should be doing better.

litrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By litrock
@BigLemon: Mass Effect 2 (or one, for that matter) doesn't have gamepad support on PC. You're going to have to adjust. As someone new to PC games himself, I feel your paid, but the learning curve isn't too rough if you just stick with it. I go back and forth pretty freely these days. 
ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ShaunassNZ

360 cONTROLLERXxx Zz 
c

Teaspoon83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Teaspoon83

I recently bought my wife Recettear off of Steam and although you can play the game using the keyboard, the game plays a lot better in the dungeons using a gamepad. I do have a Wireless Receiver for my 360 controllers which works out great but the receiver can be finicky sometimes. That and the only way to turn off the controller is by removing the battery pack. 

Small annoyances but if you can find one, it is a lot cheaper then buying a new controller, especially if you already own a 360. 

That being said.... with my wife now using the Wireless Receiver and I with no means to play my computer games that worked better with a gamepad, I now plan to look at the market and see what is out there. Might just be another Wireless Receiver in my future.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By iam3green

xbox 360 controller and ps3 controllers work. for the ps3 you would have to find a program that you have to download. there are other controllers out there that you can find at department stores.

cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By cnlmullen

I bought a wired 360 controller for my PC about 2 months ago -- I use it every day.  

Awesome investment.   Meat Boy wouldn't be the same without it.

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jmfinamore
@pyromagnestir: I've tried MotionJoy about 10 time but I can never get it to work (I ended up using another program). I install it, do the driver install, but then nothing happens. Any tips? All the videos online haven't helped.  
lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By lockwoodx
This will be the best money can buy when they come out. Also , go wings!
pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#41  Edited By pyromagnestir
@HarlequinRiot: 

I don't know that I can offer much help, I followed tested's instructions to install and its worked for me.  Only thing I can think of is when I hit the home button one time and turned on the ps3 and it didn't work until I exited then restarted the program but other than that I don't know.  Sorry.
iSylence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By iSylence

360 controller is definitely the way to go. I played Batman with a controller on PC and am currently playing New Vegas with a controller because it just felt janky with a mouse and keyboard to me. I played ME2 mouse and keyboard though. The only games in my opinion that usually benefit from having a mouse and keyboard are first person shooters, with the exception of some games (like New Vegas IMO).

Chaossebba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#43  Edited By Chaossebba

I actually got a wireless Xbox360 controller which works fine, and its interchangable with the xbox360!

And it feels alot better then the keyboard for stuff like Super Meat boy, and Assassin's Creed 2