Would You Pay $10 Extra A Year To Prevent Split Podcasts?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jakob187
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By jakob187

We've all heard about the recent news that the Bombcast (and potentially all Whiskey Media podcasts) will be split into two pieces for non-paying members.  The details of such: 

• A spliced-together Bombcast that highlights portions of the entire Bombcast
  • First half available the week of the regularly scheduled Bombcast
  • Second half available the week after the regularly scheduled Bombcast

Now, before you rant and rave, that is not the purpose of this thread.  You are not LOSING any of the Bombcast.  You are getting delayed listening pleasures.  That is all.  The Bombcast will still be available, but it will take a full week before you can get the second half.  THEREFORE, PLEASE REALIZE YOU ARE NOT LOSING ANY OF THE BOMBCAST BEFORE COMMENTING PLEASE

As they say, "the community that gets hit together bleeds together", and many people have spoken out about this.  However, my curiosity has been raised as to the intentions of it.  Many have said they would not purchase a membership to Whiskey Media sites if the Bombcast is split. 

Therefore, I raise this question for consideration by the Whiskey Media staff:  would you, as a community member, be willing to pay an extra $10 a month in order to keep the podcasts from being split in half and distributed in this new manner? 

Personally, I would absolutely be willing to do so.  We always talk about how we want to give these guys our money, and if anything, this is a way that we not only do so...but we can also justify keeping one of the prominent features of Whiskey Media sites intact without any changes. 

So...would you?    
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By jkz

Of course I would. 

Although they've also said that if 5000 people subscribe before 10am PDT on 9/10/2010, then there won't be a split. Think about that as well.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I brought this idea up a while ago in the IRC.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By DystopiaX
@jakob187: I would if people weren't paying cause they couldn't afford it. while I'm sure that's true in some cases, most people here are just bitching because it's the internet and that's what they do. So no, I'm not going to subsidise trolls and anonymous assholes.
fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By fuzzyponken

No, I don't pay for websites. If I can't casually surf the web without feeling grubby hands in my pockets, I'm out, man. 

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Dany

You shouldn't have to pay to keep anything at all to have a current feature remain the same

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#8  Edited By Vinchenzo

No, I don't really care about the majority of the community on this website. Just the people I know, pretty much the people from the beginning. I wouldn't pay extra for them to leech off of me.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jakob187
@MasterOfPenguins_Zell said:
" Yeah, I brought this idea up a while ago in the IRC. "
You were where I got the idea.  Forgot to mention the credit to you, Llama, and Coltonio...as I pulled it from Coltonio's retweets.
Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sanryd

Yeah, after listening to the podcast where they explained all the membership features I am not happy about the splitting of the Bombcast. I do have to say, I completely understand why they are doing it, but I'd rather go about it in a different way, which is where this $10 extra makes perfect sense. Saw someone's status while browsing the site earlier, can't remember who, but it was something along the lines of Whiskey Media opening Pandora's box with all this stuff, and I'm starting to think that may have some truth to it.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By apathylad
@jukezypoo said:
"  if 5000 people subscribe before 10am PDT on 9/10/2010, then there won't be a split. Think about that as well. "
I'm probably gonna do this. I'll sign up for a year for the shirt and stuff, but I'm not sure if I can see myself continuously paying for it. 
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By JJWeatherman
@jukezypoo said:
" Of course I would.  Although they've also said that if 5000 people subscribe before 10am PDT on 9/10/2010, then there won't be a split. Think about that as well. "
Really? Where are you guys getting this info??
Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sanryd
@jukezypoo said:
" Of course I would.  Although they've also said that if 5000 people subscribe before 10am PDT on 9/10/2010, then there won't be a split. Think about that as well. "
Really? That's great news. Where did they say that??
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By StarFoxA
@JJWeatherman:@tdk08: 
http://twitter.com/whiskeymedia
Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Brendan

I put yes, because in the grand scheme of a year, 60 bucks isn't that much to a kid is Uni who also works.  I would feel good knowing this wasn't splitting the good content for the community.  I am also for SURE signing up before 1pm eastern (which is 10am pacific) to help keep the Bombcast whole anyway. 
Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Turtlemayor333

Yeah, absolutely. Actually what I'd rather do is have a big ass button on the home page that says "Donate, we'd appreciate it" that I could hit whenever it's convenient. The yearly model thing doesn't really suit me in general. But I was still totally on board with what they had planned until this. 

The way people are acting like, "I get podcast and you don't!" like they're proud of it or something. Yeesh. Giant Bomb isn't a site of leeches.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jakob187
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#19  Edited By JJWeatherman
@StarFoxA:  @MasterOfPenguins_Zell: Ah, OK. I was looking all over for an article and couldn't find anything. They should probably write one up.
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jkz
Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Coombs
@JJWeatherman: @tdk08:  
It was posted on Twitter 
mrlogical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mrlogical

Would you vote on polls that passive aggressively suggest that only selfish people don't want to pay extra money so that people they don't know or care about can listen to a podcast? 

A.  Of course not, because I am an intelligent, loving, compassionate, and reasonable human being. 
B.  NO, I AM ADOLF HITLER. 

If you previously thought $50 seemed like a fine price to pay and if people don't want to pay that, they can feel free to download the podcast later or not at all, would the poll referenced above make you do anything other than make you roll your eyes and write a snarky response? 

A.  Nope, just the eye rolling and snark for me. 
B.  YES, MY FEEBLE MIND WOULD BE MOVED.  ALSO, I AM A RAPIST 

If you felt like people should spend an extra $10 for the benefit of others, would you suggest they spend it so people can listen to videogame podcasts rather than on actual charities for people who are hungry, dying, etc.? 

A.  No, because I have a sense of perspective. 
B.  I RAPED ADOLF HITLER!!!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jakob187
@jukezypoo said:
" http://twitter.com/whiskeymedia  

@LlamaNL If we get 5,000 subscribers by 10amPST on 9/10, the Bombcast goes free for everyone. Forever. Deal?

"
I'll be honest - we can't even get 2,000 people to finish most of the community quests.  They know what they are doing here.  Moreover, again...I'd love to sign up that early...but I have no way to pay for it.
Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I like the wording of this poll. 

Anyways, I would pay the $60 just because it meant I could give more to Whiskey Media; my decision would have nothing to do with the Bombcast situation.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By ch13696

How about a third option. No because we already have to pay $60 a year for Xbox Live. I swear, there are way too many subscriptions.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By Milkman

Absolutely not. Why would I pay extra to compensate for people who don't want to pay? That's stupid.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jkz
@jakob187 said:
" @jukezypoo said:

@LlamaNL If we get 5,000 subscribers by 10amPST on 9/10, the Bombcast goes free for everyone. Forever. Deal?

"
I'll be honest - we can't even get 2,000 people to finish most of the community quests.  They know what they are doing here.  Moreover, again...I'd love to sign up that early...but I have no way to pay for it. "
I feel the same way, but at the same time I'm still holding out a foolish hope that a lot of unregistered bombcast listeners will do this so as to keep the show as is. 

Again, it's foolish, but one can dream, I suppose.
Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Coombs
@jakob187 said:
" @jukezypoo said:

"
I'll be honest - we can't even get 2,000 people to finish most of the community quests.  They know what they are doing here.  Moreover, again...I'd love to sign up that early...but I have no way to pay for it. "
This is all of whiskey though not just GB, 
Between all the sites 5000 isn't a crazy number 

When will the subs go live, Do we have a date on that yet? 
OR are they just going to be like, "Subscribe now, Theres 2 days to get all 5000"
Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Barrock
@Coombs said:
" @jakob187 said:
" @jukezypoo said:

"
This is all of whiskey though not just GB, Between all the sites 5000 isn't a crazy number  When will the subs go live, Do we have a date on that yet? OR are they just going to be like, "Subscribe now, Theres 2 days to get all 5000" "
Supposedly tonight.
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jkz
@Barrock said:
" @Coombs said:
" @jakob187 said:
" @jukezypoo said:

"
This is all of whiskey though not just GB, Between all the sites 5000 isn't a crazy number  When will the subs go live, Do we have a date on that yet? OR are they just going to be like, "Subscribe now, Theres 2 days to get all 5000" "
Supposedly tonight. "
Where did you hear that it's going up tonight? I thought it was going up during / after the Live Show, but I was waiting for official confirmation.
hostile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#31  Edited By hostile

I kind of like only having an hour of the Bombcast. I listen to a lot of podcasts and Bombcast is pretty low on my totem pole so as far as the Bombcast is concerned free and only an hour or so works out better for me. I probably won't bother with listening to the other half.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Coombs
@Barrock:  
OK  when they say 5000 subscribers, I want clarity is that 5000 subscribers monthly & yearly, Or are they wanting 5000 yearly subs? 
Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Barrock
@jukezypoo said:

" @Barrock said:

" @Coombs said:
" @jakob187 said:
" @jukezypoo said:

@ LlamaNL If we get 5,000 subscribers by 10amPST on 9/10, the Bombcast goes free for everyone. Forever. Deal?

"
Supposedly tonight. "
Where did you hear that it's going up tonight? I thought it was going up during / after the Live Show, but I was waiting for official confirmation. "
Jeff told me. Maybe tonight.
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jkz
ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#35  Edited By ManMadeGod

I really don't think this is a big deal. The people saying "no bombcast = no subscription" were never going to pay in the first place. People on the internet like to complain. 

People BEGGED for a subscription. Now it's here and everyone is looking for a reason to not pay. I knew this would happen.

mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#36  Edited By mathewballard

I say no. But only because $50 is the limit for me for a sub like this. I will be glad to pay $50 soon, but not more then that.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ShaunassNZ

I simply can't pay for this yearly subscription, i would have for $20, but WM failed me here. I know people would pay for this with no problem but I simply can't afford it, therefore I wish 5'000 people subscribe so I can get a full bombcast. If the Bombcast is split I'm going to be even more frustrated with WM then I am now.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jakob187
@ManMadeGod said:
" I really don't think this is a big deal. The people saying "no bombcast = no subscription" were never going to pay in the first place. People on the internet like to complain.  People BEGGED for a subscription. Now it's here and everyone is looking for a reason to not pay. I knew this would happen. "
I don't think anyone is looking for a reason not to pay.  I think they have a reason put right in front of them.  There's no looking around involved. 

I wanted to point out that it's funny how so many people made such a big deal about how "$50 a year isn't that much money at all, and if you can't afford it, blah blah blah"...but you put it all like this with an additional $10, and NOW...it's a different story.  Backpeddlers much? 

I've told a Whiskey Media employee that since I don't have a card, I would be more than willing to drive my ass from Texas to California to slap $100 in someone's hand for two years of subscription...and I'd have no problem with adding another $20 to that. 

For those who aren't as selfless as I am in this matter, I guess you have proven me wrong about the Giant Bomb community.  You are in fact already segregated, so this business about the Bombcast split leading to possible community segregation...is pretty null and void.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#39  Edited By TwoOneFive
@Dany said:
" You shouldn't have to pay to keep anything at all to have a current feature remain the same "
heard that!
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Diamond
@jakob187:  I voted no because I refuse to support Whiskey Media in any of their podcast chargin ways.  Don't take the poll results as people who are willing to pay only for their own benefit.  There are people that feel that way, but it's a smaller portion.
JKester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By JKester

5000 X 50 thats.................... thats million bucks
cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By cooljammer00

Man, so that skewed poll backfired, eh? 

I guess we're all just selfish bastards instead of legitimately concerned Giant Bomb fans.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#43  Edited By ManMadeGod
@jakob187 said:
" @ManMadeGod said:
" I really don't think this is a big deal. The people saying "no bombcast = no subscription" were never going to pay in the first place. People on the internet like to complain.  People BEGGED for a subscription. Now it's here and everyone is looking for a reason to not pay. I knew this would happen. "
I don't think anyone is looking for a reason not to pay.  I think they have a reason put right in front of them.  There's no looking around involved.  I wanted to point out that it's funny how so many people made such a big deal about how "$50 a year isn't that much money at all, and if you can't afford it, blah blah blah"...but you put it all like this with an additional $10, and NOW...it's a different story.  Backpeddlers much?  I've told a Whiskey Media employee that since I don't have a card, I would be more than willing to drive my ass from Texas to California to slap $100 in someone's hand for two years of subscription...and I'd have no problem with adding another $20 to that.  For those who aren't as selfless as I am in this matter, I guess you have proven me wrong about the Giant Bomb community.  You are in fact already segregated, so this business about the Bombcast split leading to possible community segregation...is pretty null and void. "
I think they are. Not paying because the bombcast is split makes no sense. If you where going to sign up anyway, what does it matter? There is no principle to defend here. People on the internet talked the talked but can't walk to the walk. I am not surprised at all. 

I am not saying $50 a year is cheap, or that your idea is a bad one. I just never expected half the people that said they would pay for a membership to actually do it. The split bombcast is nothing more then an excuse.
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By meteora

Its only $10 more. If it helps the good fight, sure. 

But that's hypothetically. They won't accept PayPal. -_-

jessej07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45  Edited By jessej07

???  Why would anyone pay MORE for something when they can have it for LESS?  If you are going to pay $50 a year to subscribe to Whiskeymedia, you'll get the Bombcast uncut.  Making it $60 a year (the same as paying $5/month) is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of... if you want the Bombcast and for some reason want to pay $60 a year to get it, just go with the monthly plan.