Would you pay more for a premium-er tier of Giant Bomb?

• 83 results
TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

Poll Would you pay more for a premium-er tier of Giant Bomb? (600 votes)

Yes 15%
No 85%

I've been a premium member since its creation and I've always wanted a tier that would give me the following:

• Once a month live chat "hangout" with the crew. Get to actually talk to them about games in a casual and intimate setting - more than a call-in style show.
  • Extended cuts, Deleted scenes, Quick looks that never made it, and so forth.
  • Behind-the-scenes stuff like studio tours or other non-traditional "see the sausage being made" content. Remember these?
  • A Quick-look-this-next type list where we can add games, via the database, and upvote them. Statuses they could mark the suggestions are "already exists", "Won't do", "Planned", "Released".

Those are the main things I could think of that would be worth having a higher priced membership. Maybe the last one is open to everyone and this tier has a special track or something.

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I voted no. I would be interested in some of that extra content, but I would probably not pay out of principle.

Dray2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No, I don't want more freaking tiers. The premium deal only exists because they need it to sustain themselves and people already enjoy it a lot. But with more tiers come higher privileges and thats usually not the best way to deal with the community at large since at worst it could divide it further. Especially when the top-tier involves the staff members to a degree.

And besides, theres already call-in shows and thats enough, in my opinion.

IMHO they should just give "the sausage being made" and extended cuts out as a freebie for the premium folks.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Efesell

Probably not? $5 is pretty much what I'm willing to just kind of toss at creators that I like and generally expect to be worthwhile.

I don't know what this site in particular could offer that I'd be willing to pay more for.

elmorales94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I answered yes, but I seem to remember Jeff saying (on Bombcast 500?) that he was opposed to segmenting the site's user base when subscriptions were initially suggested, so I doubt he'd be into further subdivisions. This was a while ago, so I may be completely wrong. I could also see CBS putting the screws to the site and forcing implementation of such a system. I would appreciate the extra content, but I don't think it's good for the overall health and cohesion of the community.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IMHO if they had time to do any of that stuff it should just be made available to premium members. Although, personally I think the "hangout" and "quick-look-this-next" ideas are bad anyway. More non-traditional content like videos about production etc. I can get behind.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By htr10

I would support this idea if only because for all I get from Giant Bomb, I feel like $50 a year is barely anything to pay for it. I don’t want them to raise the premium price, so would be nice to get a few extra things for extra money.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Sure, what you listed as possibilities for content seem fun. None of the extras take away content form others and it is niche stuff, I see no reason to not offer it to those that want it.

ravingham91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IRRC Jeff has already stated that he doesn't want to do something like this.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I’ve been a member since it started: no. What you’re wanting is Patreon, no giant bomb imo.

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, more tiers is bad, sorry. 2 tiers is enough and I'm extremely happy with my premium sub. All the things you mentioned could easily be incorporated into the existing premium, but I'm more than fine with the amount of content we get on a regular basis. While not 100% the same, most of the stuff you mention already exists in some shape or form anyway.

warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By warpr

I already cannot keep up with the amount of content they put out, so giving me even more content is not something I would pay more for.

I imagine if they add another tier, it will be a 4K option for the videos (which just needs an extra tier to pay for the increased bandwidth costs).

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's 2018 we Patreon now.

> None of the extras take away content form others

Except people still need to produce them, no? Which means less time to produce regular content.

I said no. I'd rather things like accurate pricing / basic info on the game being quick looked, but I do realise I can just Google that.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I wouldn't pay for that because I don't care for anything in the list. There might be some content I would pay for, but I think it'd come off really badly if they decided to do something like that, unless they basically posted their balance sheet on the site and showed us how the numbers don't add up as things are.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

No, not for me. Sorry.

mekon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I think it would be too difficult to sustain in terms of having new ideas, also the staff need to have time to play the games they talk about. There may be more staff than last year, but this probably works best to improve what they're already doing, and allow for some time off.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lllllllllootboxes

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Premium should just be premium. Would rather have them produce more side projects or premium content in general than Special Premium Content.

Avatar image for justtakemymoney
justtakemymoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By justtakemymoney

That all sounds kind of icky, especially the intimate-setting game chats with the staff. Jeff already has to deal with papa Moonves. I'm guessing that between the call-in show, PAX, and the jar he gets all the fan interaction he needs. I imagine he and most of the other staff for that matter wouldn't want to have to play nice and pander to a higher tier of subscribers that wants that kind of interaction. Just give the duders $50, let them play, and enjoy the ride.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cmblasko

I would pay an extra $10 if Ben Pack tells me that he thinks I am smart and cool and funny at least once a month over Skype.

Avatar image for cursethesemetalhands
CurseTheseMetalHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

I'd pay for some Jeff and Vinny Endurance Runs.
I'd pay for a Jeff & Vinny podcast.
I'd pay for TNT style content of Jeff, Brad, Vinny and Alex - and only those four - playing games together, cooperatively or competitively.
I'd pay for "Open World Vinny" - Vinny livestreaming him playing the latest open world game.

That's about it.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I just cancelled my subscription a week or two ago, so probably not.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By OurSin_360

No, and it would probably make me cancel my sub if they did that. But i don't see that happening unless cbs forced it or something, but subscription tiers would rub me the wrong way.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@warpr said:

I imagine if they add another tier, it will be a 4K option for the videos (which just needs an extra tier to pay for the increased bandwidth costs).

This would be the only idea I would support. Not that I would subscribe to that tier, but that would be an understandable and acceptable necessity for the site. Otherwise, while all of these other ideas are interesting, they should only be implemented in the current system.

I really do miss "I Love Mondays", though.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a weird question as it implies that they have more free time to create content for another tier of premiums (which they don’t) or that they would hire new staff so they can keep what they have already and create new content for that tier of premiums.

I’m pretty sure all extras they can make is already premium content. I’m fine with the price reasonably going up with the inflation and as the site grows. That’s it. No new tier.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

No. I feel like that puts them in a position where fans would be making too many decisions. Im here because gb does what gb wants.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think they could spare the time without cutting content for the other users.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A big no because creating all that extra shit would take time away from regular videos and the regular premium content.

Avatar image for the_last_starfighter
The_Last_Starfighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a chance. I love the site and have been a member for years, I keep up the support because I love the crew but I've been far less than pleased with the type of content over the past couple years, def wouldn't be interested.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. I think all the content where they try to actively engage with their fanbase, while admirable, is their worst stuff (with the sole exception being Mario Party Party 5, which itself has some cringeworthy moments in it), and the thought of them having scheduled "hangouts" with the fandom honestly kind of weirds me out a bit. I also don't think the fans should be telling the crew what to do. Behind the scenes stuff might be cool, but that's something I would expect Premium members to have access to anyway. Also, I'm not sure exactly how much of that type of content they could actually make, both because of the amount of things they could possibly have to show and because of the amount of things they might not be allowed to show since they're working for a large company. I honestly don't know what type of content they'd have to make to justify getting another $5/month from me, and even then, segmenting their premium subscribers probably wouldn't be a good idea. I would definitely feel burned if, as a paying subscriber, I wasn't allowed to access content my money is arguably going towards.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Nope. This site is already inconsistent enough with its content output without another whole tier of premium stuff to juggle around.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#31  Edited By NeverGameOver

I'd honestly just prefer that they raise the membership price for everyone and provide more content (by hiring more people) to compensate. Maybe a couple extra streams a week would do it.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They don’t have the time to follow up on that stuff. I’d give em more money if they gave me the option, though; just ‘cause.

DarlingDixie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would not, I am not premium because most of the content is a bit boring. If they did more interesting stuff like game tapes I would sub but a lot of it is just quick looks with another name or let's play.

fang273

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By fang273

@cmblasko said:

I would pay an extra $10 if Ben Pack tells me that he thinks I am smart and cool and funny at least once a month over Skype.

Not down for any of the OP suggestions, but this 100%. No recordings either, I need that live Pack love.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

No. Especially no to the things OP seems to want out of the website. Don't we already know way too much about these strangers? I would like to see something along the lines of I Love Mondays return, however. Seeing a 5-15 minute video that looks like someone just pulled out their cellphone and started recording was pretty great back in the day and I'd like to see that happening again - but beyond that, no, I'm more than satisfied with the amount of content that Giant Bomb puts out. I could never consume it all.

• Once a month live chat "hangout" with the crew. Get to actually talk to them about games in a casual and intimate setting - more than a call-in style show

I can't speak for the Giant Bomb crew - obviously - but people should remember that the members of Giant Bomb don't know you personally. Asking them for a feature where they sit down and have a "casual and intimate" chat with you, in the same manner that you might have with someone you've known for years, is really really really really REALLY CREEPY. In context, it's something I can understand - many of us spend hours every week hearing their voices express their thoughts and opinions. Subconsciously, we can start to think of them as someone we know. But don't forget that they're on the other end of a (mostly)one-way wire.

@warpr said:

This would be the only idea I would support. Not that I would subscribe to that tier, but that would be an understandable and acceptable necessity for the site. Otherwise, while all of these other ideas are interesting, they should only be implemented in the current system.

I really do miss "I Love Mondays", though.

I also agree here - if they want another tier for people who want 4K videos, that would be cool with me. Mostly because I'd probably continue to pay solely for 1080p videos, partly because I don't even own a 1440p monitor and partly because I'm fine with internet content delivered at 1080p.

btrdeadthanred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By btrdeadthanred

No. Premium is fine the way it is

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

I'd pay for some Jeff and Vinny Endurance Runs.

I'd pay for a Jeff & Vinny podcast.

I'd pay for TNT style content of Jeff, Brad, Vinny and Alex - and only those four - playing games together, cooperatively or competitively.

I'd pay for "Open World Vinny" - Vinny livestreaming him playing the latest open world game.

That's about it.

i said no as well, but all these things i would pay for as well.

chekhonte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering that I don't watch hardly any video content, I sometimes wish I got more for what I"m paying for as is. Not a complaint by the way. I'm happy to chip in to this whole thing.

icoangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like a super bad idea.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Yes in the sense that I like supporting GB, no in that I would never make use of any of that style of content - I can’t keep up with what they produce as it is.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By burncoat

Fuuuuck no to the suggestions in the OP. I'd pay more if they had to raise premium costs but I'm not paying more for a separate, "personal" tier. The closest to a "one on one" discussion I'd ever want is them liking a shitpost comment of mine on one of their twitter posts.

Also most "deleted scenes" is literally that. Lost footage due to archiving issues and the like. There are several quick looks and bombcasts that are essentially "repeats" since entire recording sessions were lost to techincal issues. The rest of Giant Bomb is almost entirely hot-potatoe.

Kingpk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

No. I doubt there are many "deleted scenes" anyway since Quick Looks are rarely edited except for technical issues. I guess there is some banter before they record (as seen in Drew's video about Ryan), but I doubt there's enough to warrant paying more to see it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#43  Edited By mike

This is one of the worst ideas for Giant Bomb I've heard possibly ever. No way.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Let me just redirect you to this comments section before only premium members could comment on premium videos and you can probably imagine how any current premium members would feel about an additional tier of content. Daggerfall Part 1

Avatar image for deactivated-6373f6c34cbfb
deactivated-6373f6c34cbfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care for any more features, but I think they should offer a way to pay more than $5 as an option. Some people may find more value than $5 per month, so they might as well add the option, but not have it come with any more premium features. I understand that the apparel is a way to get more money out of the people that get more value out of this site, but I'm not someone whose going to buy clothes. For me, the value of Giant Bomb's content is worth at least $10 per month.

I think the pay what you want but still have a minimum amount of $5 is very successful. I read about the Brain Pickings website offering tiers without any extra premium features, and a lot more people paid a lot more than the base than you would expect.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't pay for premium as it is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

No the business model currently makes perfect sense. There is the standard content that is free for everyone and then there is premium content accessible to subscribers. Why bother introducing another tier of content for "platinum" or whatever level subscribers?

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

The site already puts out way more content than I have the time to watch or read or listen to. So no, I wouldn't pay for a deeper tier of membership.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted no, purely because there's more than enough content to keep me very busy, and i wouldn't take part in live chats with the crew, i also wouldn't want to burden the crew with having to chat with us assholes on a weekly basis, that sounds terrible.
I do like behind the scenes stuff, but i'm sure we'll see more of it in the future, if they think there's something interesting for us to see.

MinusTydus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MinusTydus

I'd consider it if they dumped their garbage video player in favor of one that actually works. How many months now has it been since Chromecast live streams st-st-stutter to the point they're unplayable with no fix in sight? Videos aren't playable on PS4, the official Roku app does not even load (the unofficial one does, but it's useless for live streams). Why pay extra for premium if I can't view the content being released?