Would you rather the next gen consoles had no achievement system?

• 78 results
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Hizang

I hope I am not the only one, but I think I would enjoy the next generation of consoles more if they did not have achivements. Achievements make me play games how I would not usually play them if they did not have achievements. I also find I do not replay as much games because of the achievements, what do you think?

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By DeeGee

No. Achievements do not interfere with how I play games in the slightest, either. They're just nice to get.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

Deep down? Yes. They ruin games for me completely.

But really? No. I need them to live.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By GunstarRed

I would be incredibly upset if they didnt,  infact I want achievements for everything. Switching on the console, pulling left on the stick,  pressing the X button 7 million times... EVERYTHING!  Also a constant update of my progress. I want to see more shit pop up on my screen than things actually happening in the game.
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#5  Edited By Hizang

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

Yes, that is how I feel!

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheGreatGuero
@Rolyatkcinmai said:

Hahahaha. I feel ya, man. I feel ya.

Well, that's how I was, anyway. I'm totally over it now.
Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I look forward to seeing how they expand upon the current system. I loved it when it was first introduced, it felt like I was getting more out of games.. but at the same time, I realise I was playing games differently than I normally would and often ruining the experience in an attempt to get an achievement on the first play through.

Now I couldn't care less, I just ignore them.

Somnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Somnus

Achievements suck. I once had this weird glitch on my ps3 that prevented me from saving any of my games. The reason was, according to the system, that those save files belonged to another user or something, even though they didnt. This weird protection exists only because sony doesnt want you to just download save files online and unlock the trophys that way. But I wasnt doing that, they were my files. So because of the trophy system I had to erase every single save file on my system.  Yay.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By alexl86

I've not progressed to the point that achievements are dictating how I play, though I did reload my level 19 Fallout 3 save to get the level 20 as neutral achievement, but it was the last one. I usually end up getting most of the achievements by virtue of playing the games anyway. I tend to collect as much stuff as possible, and this goes back to before there were achievements in games.

I generally don't go out of my way to get achievements and the only game where I really have multiplayer achievements is SoulCalibur IV. Most of the games I play are single-player games, where you can get most of the achievements by going through the story.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just turn notifications off? 

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11  Edited By Yanngc33

I don't mind them. If you hate them so much, turn off notifications and you'll forget they even exist

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Fuck no.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MideonNViscera

If achievements are somehow ruining your gaming experience, then the problem does not lie with the achievement system. 

EDIT: Unless you're Somnus, apparently.

SpanxMcFranks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By SpanxMcFranks

I want them in the next generation of systems. I usually just grab the achievements that unlock on my first play through, but the other achievements give me a reason to keep playing the game after I beat it. I not compulsive about unlocking every achievement, I usually just go for the ones that sound fun.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By project343

I enjoy a game less if there are no achievements. I like looking back through all that I've done, and challenges still await me. I'll be utterly pissed if they're not included in the next generation.

Cosmo811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Cosmo811

If there was no achievement system, I would not buy the console.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By ajamafalous

Just ignore them?

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Karkarov

To be honest I would prefer they were not there but at the same time I mostly ignore them anyway.  For example on Steam I have achievements turned off completely so even when I get one I won't see it until after I turn the game off.  Also too many of them are arbitrary and stupid.  As hilarious as the snidely whiplash achievement of red dead redemption was I have still never gotten it because I played the game trying to be a reformed criminal (who sometimes stole a horse, just one or two) and going out of my way to do that achievement would have made no sense.  As long as they are things you get in the natural progress of the game I am down with it.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By time allen

don't really care. they're easy to ignore if you don't like them.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21  Edited By Justin258
@MideonNViscera said:

If achievements are somehow ruining your gaming experience, then the problem does not lie with the achievement system.  

What this guy said^ 

Alright, let me point out something to a lot of you. In anything that can have the word "game" attached to it, the point is to achieve something. In basketball, you achieve getting the ball around the opposing team and close enough to throw it (or dunk it) into the basket. In chess, you achieve eliminating the other players' King. 

In a video game campaign, you generally have one big achievement fulfilled at the end, like "save the princess", and several other smaller ones throughout, like "get to the end flag of World 1-1". The achievements in Xbox 360, trophies on PS3, and the ones on Steam are all representative of what you've already been doing your entire gaming career - completing an objective. 

"But I play games for story!" 

Why not watch a movie? Why not read a book? The stories in games are, for the most part, pitiful. You play games for something other than story, believe it or not. You saw the hero through to the end of the game - achievement unlocked.

You want to explore new worlds? OK. You've achieved exploration, something that many games reward achievements for. 

There's nothing wrong with turning notifications off and taking in all that a world has to offer. Eventually, though, you'll get bored and want to achieve something. As long as video games are games, then that will be an integral part of them, something you cannot extract from it. Otherwise it stops being a game. 

EDIT: Crap, I didn't answer the OP's question. The one big thing that influences my purchase or not of a console is the games that go along with it. The one that includes the best games is the one that I'll buy. 

However, the prospect of achievement support on the next console that I buy is an exciting one. 

Also, if you think that I'm an achievement whore then look at my profile - I have no S-Ranked games.
inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By inkerman

I play the game like I want to, and then if I liked the game enough, I might go back and get achievements, but even then, I've never S-Ranked a game.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Hosstile17

I have a really good piece of advice that will work out great for you and everyone that shares your personal opinion on the subject. Turn your notifications off and learn to let people love something without shitting on it.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kingzetta

I want a even more in depth system

left4doof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By left4doof

I will be very angry if my gamerscore does not carry over .

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SomeJerk

If, achievements are added correctly, instead of added as a game play time extender and filler material, then they are good. Since there are so many people who consider them so important, they help get the economies of the world moving. They however should stop being dicks about achievements that cannot always be reached, and look towards Sony's Trophies for just one thing - Platinum means you've done everything. If I see a guy with Platinum in a game, I know he's trustworthy about that game. If I see a guy with a bajillion gamerscore.. 99 times out of 100 he's just a dude who's blown through hundreds of bad games to boost it.

I'd rather have the next generation have a choice in system-game interface. Sony has one that I have no complaints about when I have to use it from a game, neither Nintendos, but the 360 interface (I miss blades) breaks down that fourth wall and washes away the rubble and makes it hard to return. Lemme choose my own colours, maybe even a personalized skin, it would help a lot.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By TehFlan

I don't feel like it's hurting anyone. Seems pretty easy to ignore and some people like the achievement system. Why not let them have their fun?

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By Brendan

I've pretty much always ignored them, but once in a while when I see in-progress achievements for stuff like killing 15 guys with a flamethrower I get incentivized to try playing differently, and that can be fun. I've never cared enough about achievements to make the game less fun for me in pursuit of them.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#29  Edited By Hector

I would prefer a console without achievements. I'l ignore them if the console has them anyhow.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#30  Edited By MEATBALL

They're here to stay and I'm glad it's the case, I've only found them to be a positive addition, myself. I've never concerned myself with an achievement if it meant doing something I wouldn't enjoy. They're a nice progress marker, can extend a game's replay value, can help point the way to certain options I might not have considered and are a great way to keep record of what I've played and completed.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

This.

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By Sitoxity

Isn't something that encourages you to try something different a good thing?

I would have never wanted to play Half-Life 2 Episode 1 without firing more than one bullet, but I did it for that achievement, and you know what? I had a blast doing it. Achievements done right can encourage you to expand your gaming and let you experience new things. Some people stick only some sections of games and never see the full range of what there is to offer. That's pretty bad when games are as much as they are. Not everyone can afford each and every new release.

Of course, if you really detest them, just turn off the notifications and then they're gone forever.

I would like them to have them and expand on them to offer more than just meaningless points. I doubt they'll go away soon, especially with Steam and even other games incorporating achievements without even using built-in platform achievement systems.

DEMONOLOGY_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DEMONOLOGY_24

if there are no achievements then achievement hunter will be out of a job.
wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I like the little bloopy noise.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AlexW00d

Achievements have no bearing on the way I play games anyway. I think I need three to platinum AC:2. Will I go back and do them just cos? Nope.

If a game is good I will play it more/again, not because I need the reassurance of some meaningless number/badge to make me feel good about myself.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By ProfessorEss

Nope. The more numbers that tick and bars that fill while I'm playing a game the better. 

There's a lot of them that I don't like but the creative ones that have had me trying weird shit more than make up for those.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

I just play the game and not worry about it. I don't go out of my way to get them, but when they do pop up, I think "huh, cool." and go back to playing. They're gonna be in the new gen consoles. If they weren't, people would bitch.

desolation15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By desolation15

I can ignore them just fine, but I wish there is a way to opt out of achievements. Turning off notifications isn't a solution... what if I need to be notification'ed or something? There should be a way to turn off achievements so people like me, who don't care for achievements, can wear our zeros like a badge of honor. 

Also, that guy trying to get a million achievement points. I hope when he gets real close, some random gaming community would get together and play month(s) long marathon to take that distinction away from him.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Vexxan

I like achievements, they can make games more interesting. Unless it's "Kill 10 000 duders online", those kind of sheer number achievements are worthless.

ki11tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#40  Edited By ki11tank

I like them a lot, they give you more to accomplish in games where sometimes i would quit out of boredom.

if you don't like them just ignore them, it doesn't force you to play the game differently.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like achievements because they encourage me to play a different way than i normally would or explore more

@wolf_blitzer85 said:

I like the little bloopy noise.

and also this it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#42  Edited By citizenkane

Outside of online play, achievments is probably my favorite addition to video games this past decade.  I don't want to see them go away.
RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By RE_Player1

Nope. For the people that love them it's great. For the people that hate them just ignore them.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By matthias2437

I don't really care either way, sometimes its kind of cool to unlock a super hard acheivment and be like OH HELL YEAH but other times it's just as easy to ignore them.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By zeforgotten

I never give them a second thought. Most people who enjoys playing video games needs them though. Kinda like how that machine that rewards monkeys with treats for doing something right. So let them stay, I guess

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By penguindust

No. I don't chase them but others seem to enjoy them a lot.  Why should they be removed when they don't impact my play-style?  And, in truth, sometimes it's nice when one pops up in the middle of a game.  The same is true about the quests here on Giant Bomb.  I don't read any of them, but every now and then, I'll complete one accidentally and I'm joyfully surprised.

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#47  Edited By KillyDarko

Achievements don't "make" you do anything, I play games how I want to play, not for achievement purposes-- I actually couldn't care less about them.
Maybe you should do the same rather than keep playing the way you usually don't want to...? Just a thought.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By lockwoodx

Achievements if anything, lag the game more than they have to.

Avatar image for gladiator_games
Gladiator_Games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49  Edited By Gladiator_Games

Never liked them much. At first I thought it was a pretty neat idea. Hey look, if I do something challenging, or really interesting, I get a special reward! Yay! Then I got my first few "you beat a level! Have a prize, we kinda thought you were too stupid to beat it" achievements, I changed my mind on it completely. As soon as you're getting achievements for doing something you're supposed to do, it kinda defeats the purpose.

It's like, if we get a reward for doing what we're supposed to be doing, the point of the award is diminished. Achievements are nice if you get them for "play the entire game without dying" and "solved a mind-crunchlinly hard optional puzzle". But not for "you turned on your system!" or "you beat the first level!"

Oh, and if you're playing games that suck 'just to get the achievements', that's always a bad sign.

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By RobertOrri

You should have made this a poll, just so we could see your minority opinion crushed even more.