Yeah, I gave Prototype an 8.3.

AaronReynolds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

Edited By AaronReynolds

I really enjoyed it. I had the conversation with my friend Bronson, (you know, "the battle of Prototype and Infamous" dispute) and he put Infamous over Prototype. 

Now, I completely understand this. When you look at it, Infamous is a much better game. It is definitely superior graphically, the city is bigger, has more detail, and is alive (but does not reach GTA IV alive. Then again, what does?). I personally have a problem with the gameplay itself. What really divides these games is how they're played, and I believe that it is that factor alone that divides people. Infamous plays a little like a shooter, and you feel more like a citizen when, especially when you're good, you're just another one of the patrons of the city. In Prototype, melee combat is the center of the game, and you're a badass. It really depends on which you gravitate more towards. 

I personally think that, if Prototype had more money or more time, they could've made a great game. It seemed to be stuck in the last generation. If a sequel were to happen, I think it would be much much better...unless they pull a Lost Planet. 

Anyway, people don't like my score because I value gameplay over everything else, story being a close second. My friend rates each part of the game equally. I would love to do that, but a lot of us, including myself, look at the score 7.3 for a game that is totally fun to play, and we're outraged. Some take it much more seriously than they need to, but sometimes you just feel a game's been underrated. So I rated it based on what I value. If the reader doesn't like what I value, they can go somewhere else. 

By the way, Bronson, rate every part of the game equally? That sounds like communism, you commie bastard. lol 

And yeah, these games were released a while ago. I've been having troubles with Gamefly, and while I love the Skate games, the bad feedback for the single player keeps me from renting it. I'd play multiplayer, but I don't have any friends that like Skate. So now I'm waiting for the terrible May 18, where I'm gonna fall terribly behind. I think I'm gonna go Split/Second, 'cause that seems like the game that Giant Bomb will use for TNT.
AaronReynolds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By AaronReynolds

I really enjoyed it. I had the conversation with my friend Bronson, (you know, "the battle of Prototype and Infamous" dispute) and he put Infamous over Prototype. 

Now, I completely understand this. When you look at it, Infamous is a much better game. It is definitely superior graphically, the city is bigger, has more detail, and is alive (but does not reach GTA IV alive. Then again, what does?). I personally have a problem with the gameplay itself. What really divides these games is how they're played, and I believe that it is that factor alone that divides people. Infamous plays a little like a shooter, and you feel more like a citizen when, especially when you're good, you're just another one of the patrons of the city. In Prototype, melee combat is the center of the game, and you're a badass. It really depends on which you gravitate more towards. 

I personally think that, if Prototype had more money or more time, they could've made a great game. It seemed to be stuck in the last generation. If a sequel were to happen, I think it would be much much better...unless they pull a Lost Planet. 

Anyway, people don't like my score because I value gameplay over everything else, story being a close second. My friend rates each part of the game equally. I would love to do that, but a lot of us, including myself, look at the score 7.3 for a game that is totally fun to play, and we're outraged. Some take it much more seriously than they need to, but sometimes you just feel a game's been underrated. So I rated it based on what I value. If the reader doesn't like what I value, they can go somewhere else. 

By the way, Bronson, rate every part of the game equally? That sounds like communism, you commie bastard. lol 

And yeah, these games were released a while ago. I've been having troubles with Gamefly, and while I love the Skate games, the bad feedback for the single player keeps me from renting it. I'd play multiplayer, but I don't have any friends that like Skate. So now I'm waiting for the terrible May 18, where I'm gonna fall terribly behind. I think I'm gonna go Split/Second, 'cause that seems like the game that Giant Bomb will use for TNT.
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By shirogane

The TNT thing brings up a good point, maybe GB should wait at least a week or 2 after a game comes out to do a TNT with it. Then again, it's not like they can fit that many people into TNT. 

I kinda think that if prototype were more polished, it would've been a better game than inFamous. Especially having gone back to try finish inFamous, and found that the end of that game is kinda frustrating, and that climbing up buildings is just mashing the X button while pushing forward. 
That said, both games play quite differently, so comparisons between the two can be misleading.
zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By zombie2011

I don't see a problem with that score Prototype was a good game, it just wasn't great.

AaronReynolds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AaronReynolds
@Shirogane:
Yeah they're very different games, and probably should never have been compared in the first place, but since it's been established, it has flourished. 

And not a lot of people would have the game for TNT by the third day of the game being out, but once you narrow down the list: 
the number of people on giant bomb 
- the people who don't care about TNT 
- the people who watch, but don't want to participate 
- people who don't have the money or the time for it at the moment. 
= a handful of people, but more than enough to run a successful TNT.
AaronReynolds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AaronReynolds

lol Might as well while I'm here. 

BLAOW!!
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By meteora

I see no problem of giving a score higher or lower indicated on a game, it just means you enjoyed Prototype more than others or have different perception of score values.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By shirogane
@AaronReynolds:
That's bad for people like me who want to participate, but won't have the game =( 

Also especially bad being in Australia, cause the games usually get released on Thursdays, or a week later. 
Hope they do a TNT of Blur, for some reason i'm more interested in that than SplitSecond, maybe it's just cause of the Underground vibe.
AaronReynolds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AaronReynolds
@Shirogane: Oh that sucks! Well, with this upcoming Tuesday, maybe they'll fall behind. There are also those gaps between one game and another. During those times, they've gotta go back and play some slightly older ones. At least that's how I feel. I'd like it so everyone could play, but I think they want to stay up to date, so they can't wait for everyone. Once again, that sucks! I hope you find a solution to your dilemna.

@Meteora:
That's true, but I've been rating games on a website trying to get a good reputation. Instead, I've been becoming the more contraversial review, if not the most. It makes me want to go from the 10 point system to 5; I tell the truth, but the score can be interpreted by the reader to please themselves lol. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I will fight you.  Prototype is God's punishment for an evil world.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Jeust

Scores are overated, and you should rate according to your own heart. You can also put a disclaimer before your review explaining your method, so you are better understood.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I hate review scores that use decimals. Seriously is there that big of a difference between an 8.3 or a 7.9 or even an 8.7 ? That shit annoys the fuck out of me. Whole numbers or letter grades is it that hard ?  I give your review a 3.4955832 out of an 11.78

Ferginator4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Ferginator4k

I fucking loved Prototype and fully support your scoring of it. I do agree that Infamous is a better "Game" but i had heaps more fun with Prototype.

sarge1445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By sarge1445
@Brodehouse said:
" I will fight you.  Prototype is God's punishment for an evil world. "
pretty much what this guy said
nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By nail1080

I like it and still play it for fun and getting collectables is always fun

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By choffy21

Why not an 8.1? Or an 8.7? Just say an 8 next time. Decimal place review scores are kinda stupid... 

As far as the score you gave Prototype, I enjoyed the game immensely when I first started playing it, but the combat became so repetitive and dull, and at the end you could never just go from point A to point B without tanks and helicopters on your ass. If I could have just gone from one mission to the next without barely surviving yet another military attack, maybe I would have finished the game. But as it stands now, it was simply unplayable towards the end in my opinion.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By yinstarrunner

I understand your reasoning and would agree with that score. I don't get why everyone hates on Prototype. Sure, it's flawed, but there's still a lot of fun to be had as long as you aren't an unimaginative twit.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By HitmanAgent47

You scored it way too high, it doesn't deserve it.