Yet another "Which my my 10 favourite games is YOUR favourite?" thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Poll Yet another "Which my my 10 favourite games is YOUR favourite?" thread (130 votes)

Shadow of the Colossus 14%
Dark Souls 25%
Red Dead Redemption 18%
Bioshock 11%
The Last of Us 8%
inFamous 2 2%
The Binding of Isaac 5%
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness 5%
Killzone 2 0%
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 13%

I thought I'd wait a little while before making a thread like this, so that I wouldn't take away from @pr1mus' thread. (and thanks for the idea)

Being one of the younger guys on this forum (18), I haven't had the luxury of playing some of the classics that precede the PS1 era. Even then, there was several series that I missed out due to either being too young to play them, or being ignorant of what they were at the time. So as you can tell by looking at the list, all of my favourites exist on current-gen or the generation before. There was also a tonne of games that I think I'd be fine with being in my top 10, but as of right now, these are my current favourite. So, have at it!

• 
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Video_Game_King

I feel like these threads are gonna be banned soon.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I've only played two of the games on this list, and I don't like Skyrim, so Disgaea it is!

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

None of these would be in my top 10. A couple of them might contend for top 20. OP makes me feel old.

Also,

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I imagine that will be the case, so I wanted to get mine done and dusted before the foot was put down.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Dark Souls, for sure. Great follow-up to a great game.

Red Dead Redemption and Disgaea are fantastic too, but I never finished either one.

And I wouldn't call TLOU a favorite of mine. It's an ok game that I probably won't remember a year from now.

Haven't played any of the rest.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By pr1mus

On this list i finished and loved Dark Souls, Red Dead Redemption and The Last of Us, reasonably liked Killzone 2 and Infamous 2 and i hated Bioshock.

I briefly played Shadow of the Colossus and this is one of those games i'd like to revisit one day.

Didn't play the other 3.

I vote Dark Souls. The Last of Us left a strong impression but there's more to Dark Souls as a game. I will no doubt replay both and also Red Dead Redemption again though. Those 3 games are that good.

Edit: Looking at the games and your age all these games came between you being 8 and 18. Makes me sound old but this more or less falls in line with the games that made my top 10, most of which were in the 90s. Those years are the most defining in what we play and will come to like the most. The time when you're old enough to really tell a great game from a bad one and also have a ton of childhood nostalgia attached to them later on.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By TruthTellah

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons.

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, I think I may have misread. We're talking "Top 10 your/current Generation"?

My bad SunBroZak, you nailed at least a few then.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons.

Is Brothers better than my 10 favorite games?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By Hailinel
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

You must be young. I guess I'd pick Last of Us on that list. But boy one generation of consoles for your entire top ten? You're making me feel old kid!

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dont fret kiddo ... Im of the "older generation" but I can safely say that most of my favs games are from this generation ... voted for Dark Souls , but I also like Shadow of the Colosus and Red Dead Redemption. Bioshok the first one right? I didnt like it as much.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Man, a poll that includes RDR, Skyrim, and BioShock, and half the votes are for SotC or Dark Souls? Maybe I need to find another internet community; clearly this one doesn't get me. Also, none of these games are Crusader Kings II or Mount&Blade: Warband.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a pretty good list. Dark Souls take it though.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Binding of Isaac OBVIOUSLY! (I'm serious)

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Guesty_01

Really great list of games mate, haven't played infamas 2 or Binding of Isaac, but the rest are absolutly top notch choices.

My vote went to Skyrim.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

For me it was between Shadow of The Colossus and Red Dead Redemption. I ended up choosing the former. I should really update my favorite games of all time list. I don't agree with like 4 of them anymore.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking at the results, I've really got to get off my ass and play Dark Souls. I'm between games right now, maybe I'll pop it in next. I don't think it'll displace Shadow of the Colossus as my favorite out of this list though.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

BioShock is fantastic, but Binding of Isaac is pretty swell too.

Also, I think we should fill the forums with these threads.

Alehud42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Alehud42

Red Dead Redemption was my first Rockstar game. It kinda has to win for me.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By Jeust

Binding of Isaac OBVIOUSLY! (I'm serious)

I played it more than I have played all other games combined!

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@sunbrozak: How old were you when you started gaming? I am only six years older than you (turned 24 this week), but my top 10 of all time consists of games released between 1994 and 2011 (I haven't seriously considered where some of this year's games would rank just yet).

It's really weird for me too think of someone that's 18 as being that much younger than me, but you weren't even alive when I got my Genesis.

Shit...

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Dark Souls is pretty good.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I knew Disgaea was the shit when I saw the dumb ad in Game Informer ten years ago.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I don't have a top 10 list but I do have a top 5 list and Dark Souls is on it, so that's my vote. SotC would probably be on my top 10 list though.

Scampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shadow of the Colossus, that game is amazing in so many ways.

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shadow of the Colossus here too.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Dark Souls, no contest. Shadow of the Colossus and RDR are amazing games, but not personal favorites on the same level.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I have over 300 hours logged in Skyrim (PC), so that's my choice. I didn't like Red Dead Redemption at all. I haven't played Dark Souls and probably won't. I enjoy Skyrim for the exploration and mod-ability, not the game play, per se. Dark Souls doesn't appear to be a game which allows for random deviation and the cost of death is too high for my tastes. I am not into games which are built around frustration. That's probably another reason I didn't take to RDR.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sunbrozak: How old were you when you started gaming? I am only six years older than you (turned 24 this week), but my top 10 of all time consists of games released between 1994 and 2011 (I haven't seriously considered where some of this year's games would rank just yet).

It's really weird for me too think of someone that's 18 as being that much younger than me, but you weren't even alive when I got my Genesis.

Shit...

I was 5 when I got my cousin's old Playstation in 2000. I never really played a great deal of games on it, the highlights were Space Invaders, Spider-Man and Digimon Rumble Arena. I guess I was a little young and uninterested in games at that point for things like Final Fantasy to hold my attention. It wasn't until 2003 when I got my first PS2 (along with Beyond Good and Evil) that I was hooked on video-games. And even then I wasn't allowed to play mature games until 2008, so as you can imagine my scope was limited. If I had been born 5 years earlier, I imagine my list would be significantly different.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played the majority of those but I think I have to go with Last of Us. That may be because it is fresh in my mind but it's a great game.

razielrioux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By razielrioux

Bioshock is one of the best presented games of this generation of consoles. Not necessarily the best playing, but it opened up a universe that I immediately fell in love with.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Shit...

6 years is a console generation and in terms of gaming 6 years is a lot. But yeah, I get what you mean.

As for which games on this list which would be in my personal top 10 is a modded Skyrim, I'm not entirely sure of the other games as some of those I haven't had a chance to play or beat such as Disgaea or Dark Souls.

Eviternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@penguindust said:

I have over 300 hours logged in Skyrim (PC), so that's my choice. I didn't like Red Dead Redemption at all. I haven't played Dark Souls and probably won't. I enjoy Skyrim for the exploration and mod-ability, not the game play, per se. Dark Souls doesn't appear to be a game which allows for random deviation and the cost of death is too high for my tastes. I am not into games which are built around frustration. That's probably another reason I didn't take to RDR.

Dark Souls allows for plenty of deviation - you can be a two-handed club wielding tank, a nimble dagger master or a ranged mage (and plenty more besides) - all are viable to finish the game. The sheer amount of weapon, armour and play-style choices, and the differentiation between them is vast and allows for wildly differing playthroughs.

It's also not "built around frustration". Dark Souls is built around learning. Save for the occasional bug, deaths are perfectly fair and you can either change tactics or refine the ones you're already using - you can see this demonstrated in Vinny's play. Dead? Ask yourself what went wrong and overcome it. Any patient person can beat Dark Souls.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Red Dead Souls

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#36 chaser324  Moderator  Online
@hailinel said:

Getting in on this action inspired by @pr1mus before the moderators start getting cranky about it.

Well...I guess the time is now because I'm feeling a bit cranky about how many of these threads are popping up. They don't generate much meaningful discussion, and it's time to cut them off now before they spiral totally out of control.

As an alternative, if someone would prefer to make one thread to discuss everyone's favorite games of all time, that might be fine. You could also maybe spend some time to generate a longer blog that explains what makes some games your favorites. These short little polls though are just getting flat out spammy.