Your 1st Computer Magazine bought.

filmfan2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By filmfan2001

After the interesting discussion on the podcast I got investigating old magazines online. Absolutely brilliant Archive here - Old Computer Mags

Found mine below, which I started reading after getting my Spectrum+. Still have every issue in binders but great to find them online. Post your 1st mags here.

No Caption Provided

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I don't remember which issue but the first one i read somewhat regularly was Gen4. A French video games magazine dedicated to computer games. I think they eventually started another one dedicated to consoles.

It's from France and we would get each issue over here in Québec about 3-4 months later. Since i didn't speak any English at the time options were limited. It was alright.

If i remember correctly, in their weird universe Sin won over Half-Life. Jeff would approve that.

No Caption Provided

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@pr1mus: I totally have this issue in a drawer somewhere. I read that magazine until it died, I believe in 2004.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By morningstar

PC gamer back in the mid 90s, threw them all away some years ago though :/

dropabombonit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have it any more but I think it was a PSM which had a Driver 1 review in it

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't remember exactly which one, but it was either "C64er" or "Happy Computer" sometimes in the mid Eighties (both German magazines).

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#8 MattyFTM  Moderator

My entire old magazine collection (along with my entire old game collection) was destroyed in a house fire last year. I imagine my first games magazine was an old issue of PlayStation Solutions. Possibly the one with Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee on the cover. This is the only image of it I can find:

No Caption Provided

Despite being a kid with no money and not being able to afford many recently released games, I still loved PlayStation Solutions, a magazine dedicated to guides and walkthroughs of recently released games. I liked reading the guides even if I didn't own the games.

I did have an Amiga before a PlayStation, but never got into Amiga Magazines. I was too young, I guess. I hear Amiga Power was a fantastic publication. It would have been great to have some of those.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Joystik magazine. It is really old, and didn't last long, but I went over that rag back and forth so many times. Reading about the "Byte-rollover" problem in Pac-Man (this was before the term Kill Screen was common). It was where I saw my first images of Blade Runner and The Wall. So many childhood memories.

No Caption Provided

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MacWorld

CallMeTetris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CallMeTetris

The first magazines I remember having are a stack of '96-'97 Gamepros found for free at a garage sale; the first one I remember personally buying was definitely OPM, I believe it was the issue with Final Fantasy VIII on the cover.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By monkeyking1969
No Caption Provided

My first magazine was COMPUTE, I started a subscription in 1984 and kept it up until 1990.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Rebel_Scum

C+VG 1988 don't know the month but I bought the magazine even though I had an Atari 520st and couldn't play any of the games mentioned because it was all about the Amiga 500, Spectrum and C64.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Hmm... Where's Computer Gaming World?

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think it was nintendo power. use to read those a lot back when i played n64 alot.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An Australian magazine called PC User, it was the December 2000 issue and came with a free copy of the original Alone in the Dark.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@morningstar said:

PC gamer back in the mid 90s, threw them all away some years ago though :/

Console mags included Nintendo Power, Electronic Gaming Monthly, Game Pro, and Next Generation. Had subscriptions to all but Game Pro.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

No Caption Provided

N64 magazine was perhaps the Giant Bomb of its day. Serious when it needed to be, while still having plenty of clever, dumb jokes about video games.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

PLAY magazine with the cover being about Crash Team Racing. IIRC.

filmfan2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

That sucks MattyFTM, losing all that history. Most of mine were water damaged and had to be binned so this site is great. The only ones I have left are every issue of Your Sinclair. Yup, Amiga Power and Amiga Format were quite techy which was good. I was well into Delux Paint art and animation at the time. Ever so helpful.

I remember the first CVG I got had Space Harrier on the cover, don't know what year. They often had excellent covers by Oli Frey.