Console games with excellent manuals?

sodacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By sodacat

I'm specifying console games because otherwise this is just going to be a Blizzard and flight sim love-in.

We all know that manuals are basically dead these days, but does anyone remember manuals that really impressed them? The two favorites that I can remember are the manuals for Shadow of the Colossus and We <3 Katamari. Shadow's manual is laid out horizontally with one page being reserved for each action in the game. It was both a unique and simplistic layout, which really accented the style of the game itself.

We <3 Katamari was also done in the style of the game. Many of the control descriptions were laid out like a comic book, and every page had unique illustrations. Sometimes they'd even take a break from game information for a page or two just to have a drawing of the characters doing something.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

The first Assassin's Creed had a pretty bitching manual, from what I remember. *breaks out Revelations box* Too bad that didn't last.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By mosespippy

I really liked the Tourist's Guide to Vice City. I think it's the best of the GTA manuals and those Liberty Tree newspapers for GTA3 and LCS are pretty good. Other than that the most useful ones I can think of were the Gran Turismo ones that had a section on how to drive like a race car driver and the Final Fantasy 7 one that had a guide up to the first boss fight in the back. Without those two sections of those two manuals I'd never have played those games as much as I did.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By AlexW00d

I'ma ignore your console thing, cause 1, it's dumb, and 2, I am mentioning neither Blizzard nor Flight sims.

King Arthur 2 has a pretty big manual that explains everything in the game. Both SMB and the Binding of Isaac's manuals are basically just sick artbooks too.

sodacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sodacat

@mosespippy said:

Other than that the most useful ones I can think of were the Gran Turismo ones that had a section on how to drive like a race car driver and the Final Fantasy 7 one that had a guide up to the first boss fight in the back. Without those two sections of those two manuals I'd never have played those games as much as I did.

I'd forgotten that FF7 had a mini guide in it. That reminds me of Chulip, which had a guide to the entire game in the manual (it pretty much needed it).

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By buft

Oblivions manual was fairly meaty as i recall, had a paper map and everything, all spells are listed and all the races etc

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By zidd

the persona games (3FES 4 and 4 Arena) all have really good full color manuals.

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By ThePaleKing

Gungriffon: Blaze has an extremely high quality manual; printed on some kind of hard paper in full color, with lots of fluff and item descriptions etc.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By N7

Metal Gear Solid 3 had a great manual. It had a very explicit and detailed explanation of the CQC moves and even a comic.

skyline7284

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By skyline7284

Viva Pinata and Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise have great manuals.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By JasonR86

The Lunar games post Lunar 1 had really well made manuals. They were huge, well-detailed, and colorful as hell. I'll post an image of everything that came with the Playstation remake of Lunar 2. The hardbound book is the manual for the game. That's right, the hardbound-motherfucking-book is the manual.

No Caption Provided
monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By monkeyking1969

The first two Gran Tourismo games had two manuals, the second (or first depending on your POV) explained tire, wheel, suspension, engine, drive train, gearing, etc setups.

I was just going through my PS2 game a few days ago and it was shocking how thick and full of big color screen shots most manuals were just a generation ago.

Ropn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ropn

I remember loving Halo: Combat Evolved's manual since it was in full colour (a rarity these days) and had detailed information on every weapon, vehicle, enemy. Being a kid I was fascinated and I'm disappointed in how much of an afterthought manuals are these days :(

LazyChan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LazyChan

The Witcher 2 had a kicking manual. The game came with a 50 plus page manual detailing quests and lore, along with a nice size map poster. There was also a music soundtrack included. If only more games came packed with such love nowadays. It is too bad the game was kind of a shoddy port.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

The Manual for Manhunt is really good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f39c75856922
deactivated-5f39c75856922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The ones that come with posters in them.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By GunstarRed

We <3 katamari's is excellent.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By falserelic

Most of all the ps2 games I played and PSX.

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By TheCreamFilling

Halo 2's Collector Edition manual specifically. It was like a Covenant report to the Prophets and all the human weapons and vehicles were described as primitive and useless.

DudeSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By DudeSupreme

Metal Gear Solid was pretty great, I never before saw the addition of a comic story as a way to teach you the buttons and techniques instead of a controller map.

page 5-6
page 5-6
page 41-42
page 41-42

But I have a soft spot for The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past manual. It had the whole backstory on the first few pages and the whole thing had some awesome artwork spread through it. Also it had a seperate little manual with an FAQ on it as well as the Nintendo tip line phone number (which I totally used once or twice).

Honorable Mentions to Illusion of Gaia and The Witcher 2 for both having huge manuals with collectible/quest guides

Mixwizzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mixwizzard

The GTA manuals/maps are awesome.

Witcher 2's was pretty cool too.

WEB_War4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By WEB_War4

The Baldur's Gate games came with very thick manuals that took forever to go through

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ThePaleKing

@WEB_War4: That was a staple of older RPGs. In fact I think the Infinity engine and post-infinity engine games (ToEE) were the last to do it. The Ultima and Might and Magic games had incredible manuals; since they kind of skimped on including story elements in the main game, they packed it all into the manual, with tons of race descriptions and character build guides, etc. Now we get 10 page manuals, telling us in 5 different languages how not to sue the developer if we have a seizure. In black and white.

kgb0515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kgb0515

@TheCreamFilling said:

Halo 2's Collector Edition manual specifically. It was like a Covenant report to the Prophets and all the human weapons and vehicles were described as primitive and useless.

Pretty much this. I loved the collector's edition manual for Halo 2. I really liked how it examined things from the Covenant perspective. It made me enjoy killing the covies that much more in the game itself.

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By Jimbo

You were basically qualified to be an IRL cop after reading the Police Quest manuals.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By Vextroid

All the Metal Gear Solid games had great manuals.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Bell_End

i used to love it when games came on cassette tapes and the manual was the cassette inlay. you would take it out and read the instruction while you waited 15 mins for the game to load.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#29  Edited By Cirdain

Just Cause 1

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By landon

All game manuals are stupid wastes of paper.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#31  Edited By Hizang

I always liked the Metal Gear Solid manuals, they had great art and a few even had a cool comic strip in it,

ComradeKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ComradeKhan
@Landon said:

All game manuals are stupid wastes of paper.

You're a stupid waste of paper! 

...sorry... i just get really defensive when people talk about game manuals that way.
madmanmaple89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By madmanmaple89

The Twisted Metal: Black manual was 60 pages long and looked like a serial killer diary with pictures and disturbing rants.

xSuperGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By xSuperGirl

The Fallout 3 Manual impressed me.

ManU_Fan10ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ManU_Fan10ne

Quick question. Does anyone use the notes section that they have in the manuals? I never found the reason why.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#36  Edited By beargirl1

@Video_Game_King said:

The first Assassin's Creed had a pretty bitching manual, from what I remember. *breaks out Revelations box* Too bad that didn't last.

i noticed when i got an Assassin's Creed triple pack the other day that the cases got lighter and lighter as i went from 1, to 2 and then brotherhood.

as for good manuals, nearly every Rockstar game released this gen has a great, colorful manual. Dead or Alive 4 and, despite being a 3DS game, Dimensions both have pretty nice manuals too. Super Street Fighter IV too had a really beefy manual too. fighting games represent

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#37  Edited By JTB123

@ManU_Fan10ne said:

Quick question. Does anyone use the notes section that they have in the manuals? I never found the reason why.

I always used to write down the solutions to puzzles in games like Resident Evil when I figured them out, that came in really handy when I played through them recently for the first time in like ten years.

Kapalaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Kapalaka

Brave Story has an excellent manual. It is for the PSP and you don't even need a guide because the developers took the time to explain the game mechanics in detail. :) It's a pretty obscure game but definitely hours and hours of fun and worth checking out.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#39  Edited By Phatmac

Persona 4 Arena has a nice manual and it came out this year!

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SexyToad

@xSuperGirl said:

The Fallout 3 Manual impressed me.

It impressed me too.