Left 4 Dead Survival Pack Update - PC & 360

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Hamz

Just got a notice from a Steam Group regarding the upcoming updates planned for L4D the obvious stuff such as the other two maps being available for Versus Mode are planned. As well as mention of some "Survival Mode" which will be added. No details on it yet but figured it may be worth letting you all know. Seems someone did try to make a topic about this before but got the title wrong.

Release date seems to be Spring this year, so thats not too far away. Something too look forward to for fans like myself!

[EDIT] - Forgot to mention that the Source SDK for L4D will be made available with this release as well. So for those clever folks who bought this on the PC you'll get the added benefit of Mods from the community. I've already seen some people try L4D out in the Nova Prospekt map from HL2 and that was awesome. So perhaps we'll see some Resident Evil overhauls to the game. Maybe even play through the entire Ravenholm map from HL2.

Link

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Linkyshinks

Woot!, sounds good on all fronts. The sooner the better.

Custom campaigns will be awesome.

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By albedos_shadow

Damn, you beat me to it!

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By albedos_shadow

Curses, Hamz! Curses!

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hamz
albedos_shadow said:
"Curses, Hamz! Curses!"
:D.....yeah sorry, I beat you by like a minute. I suppose I could of been the bigger man and locked mine down instead. But you linked to Kotaku....I have no love for Kotaku :P
albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By albedos_shadow
Hamz said:
"albedos_shadow said:
"Curses, Hamz! Curses!"
:D.....yeah sorry, I beat you by like a minute. I suppose I could of been the bigger man and locked mine down instead. But you linked to Kotaku....I have no love for Kotaku :P"
True, all is forgiven. :)
Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By Thrawn1
Hamz said:
"Release date seems to be Spring this year, so thats not too far away. Something too look forward to for fans like myself!

Spring of course, means 2010
Avatar image for gobiasindustries
GobiasIndustries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By GobiasIndustries

Are they really going to charge for the PC release? :/

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By albedos_shadow
GobiasIndustries said:
"Are they really going to charge for the PC release? :/"
Nah, it'll probably be free on Steam, and I'm predicting around $10 for 360.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hamz
albedos_shadow said:
"GobiasIndustries said:
"Are they really going to charge for the PC release? :/"
Nah, it'll probably be free on Steam, and I'm predicting around $10 for 360."
Valve has NEVER charged for updates to any of their games. So it will be free on the PC and likely be whatever the "standard" rate for DLC is on the 360.
GobiasIndustries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GobiasIndustries

Okay, I was worried about it a little bit.

Well my life will be over the minute that comes out.

NEW MODE?!!?!? OMG

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Snail

Schweet!

Steven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Steven

Heh, what's wrong with Kotaku?  Sounds awesome though.

GuttlessCashew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By GuttlessCashew

I bet the new mode will be a final were you survive as long as possible.

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By albedos_shadow
GuttlessCashew said:
"I bet the new mode will be a final were you survive as long as possible."
What would be amazing is if it's anything like what was suggested on Rebel FM this week. A mode where two teams of survivors fight over limited resources while still fighting zombies. Maybe even throw in a 3rd Infected team for some 12-player action.
weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By weltal

I fucking hate having Left 4 Dead on the 360. Unfortunately the game plays too terrible on my PC for me to enjoy the superior version.

I was kinda hoping they would release the two versus maps as some sort of patch, though. I doubt I'll be paying for this, assuming Microsoft is going to be a douche and force Valve to charge for content that's going to be free on the PC.

GobiasIndustries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GobiasIndustries

Dude I bet it's like you guys are saying, I'm thinking it will be a response to World at War's zombie mode, where you're just fighting off wave after wave. That could be some very fun L4Dage.

hungrynun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By hungrynun
Weltal said:
"I was kinda hoping they would release the two versus maps as some sort of patch, though. I doubt I'll be paying for this, assuming Microsoft is going to be a douche and force Valve to charge for content that's going to be free on the PC."
$10 isn't that much money at all. I'm stoked to play this on the 360.
GobiasIndustries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GobiasIndustries
Miniman said:
"Linkyshinks said:
"Custom campaigns will be awesome."
Meh, there will be a few good ones but most will be idiotst who don't know how to map releasing crappy, blocky "campaigns" with fullbright on.

"
Yeah, but a few good ones could be a LOT of hours of entertainment.

Hell, Valve has only released "a few good ones" with the game itself and look how many hours people have put into that.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Diamond

Should be free on 360 as well.  I know developers say MS charges for it, but they have bandwidth to pay.  Valve pays for their Steam bandwidth, so why not pay so it's free on 360.  It's not like they can't make it free.  Burnout Paradise and Battlefield Bad Company have had free substantial DLC as well.  Besides, the 360 version of L4D sold way more than the PC version.  Time to give a break to those who pay Valve's paychecks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

Not good enough tbh.

I want the the original Single Player videos put in as an extra mode for the Single Player and I want a Source Forts like mode where two teams have to build bases and they the first team to be killed by zombies loses and at the same time you can fight eachother and try to take down eachothers defense.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Diamond said:
"Should be free on 360 as well.  I know developers say MS charges for it, but they have bandwidth to pay.  Valve pays for their Steam bandwidth, so why not pay so it's free on 360.  It's not like they can't make it free.  Burnout Paradise and Battlefield Bad Company have had free substantial DLC as well.  Besides, the 360 version of L4D sold way more than the PC version.  Time to give a break to those who pay Valve's paychecks."

Steam sales numbers wern't released and I'm willing to bet atleast 500k bought it on Steam.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Diamond
PapaLazarou said:
"Diamond said:
"Should be free on 360 as well.  I know developers say MS charges for it, but they have bandwidth to pay.  Valve pays for their Steam bandwidth, so why not pay so it's free on 360.  It's not like they can't make it free.  Burnout Paradise and Battlefield Bad Company have had free substantial DLC as well.  Besides, the 360 version of L4D sold way more than the PC version.  Time to give a break to those who pay Valve's paychecks."

Steam sales numbers wern't released and I'm willing to bet atleast 500k bought it on Steam."
Well NPD for Nov and Dec alone were over 1 million on the 360 version in the US, so even if that's true, 360 version has sold at least double.
weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By weltal
hungrynun said:
"Weltal said:
"I was kinda hoping they would release the two versus maps as some sort of patch, though. I doubt I'll be paying for this, assuming Microsoft is going to be a douche and force Valve to charge for content that's going to be free on the PC."
$10 isn't that much money at all. I'm stoked to play this on the 360."
Really? I mean, I have to say I'm surprised. You'll pay money for content that is going to be free on another platform? I would find that be a complete fucking outrage. It could be $1 dollar, if I'm singled out and forced to pay because I choose to play their game on another platform I'm still going to be pissed about it. (Again, this is assuming that MS is going to make Valve charge, something that has in no way been confirmed)
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Diamond
Weltal said:
(Again, this is assuming that MS is going to make Valve charge, something that has in no way been confirmed)"
MS charges ALL companies to put up DLC.  It's up to Valve if they want to pay whatever to make it free.  EA has done it, so I hope Valve does too.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Diamond said:
"PapaLazarou said:
"Diamond said:

Steam sales numbers wern't released and I'm willing to bet atleast 500k bought it on Steam."
Well NPD for Nov and Dec alone were over 1 million on the 360 version in the US, so even if that's true, 360 version has sold at least double."

they dont count steam sales only retail pc and retail 360 and only American sales.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hamz

I think if people sit back and realise just how much bandwidth Valve already has to pay for with Steam there is a significant chance the update will have to be bought for the 360 version of the game. Its not fair in my opinion but thats why I'm a PC gamer and I think if you've been playing games on the 360 for long enough now you should come to accept the fact DLC has to be paid for on that platform.

According to an article on Shacknews [LINK] regarding Left 4 Dead sales figures the game sold 1.8 million retail copies between PC and 360 versions and that number isn't even including Steam sales of the game either. And it also doesn't seem to take into account worldwide sales of the game so I imagine that figure is for North America only. So to whoever actually said the 360 version outsold the PC one, I would say you are probably going on an assumption more than fact. Just like I am going on the assumption that Steam sales figures for the game are likely a lot higher than the retail sales figures as most people would have taken advantage of the early demo access + price discount deal Steam had for the game.

When it comes to games being sold over Steam, even Valve ones, these reviews of sales tend to never include details and figures for how many copies were sold over the digital delivery service and only seem to focus on retail sales which can be very misleading. 1.8 million copies doesn't seem a lot if you just see the figure, but taking into account thats for the USA retail sales alone. Then who knows how many copies the game truely has sold worldwide in both retail and Steam sales.

As for the 'survival mode' I'm hoping its a defense orientated game with some form of base building and repairing barricades with wave after wave of incoming infected. However I would rather see it be open to an 8 player squad of survivors instead of 4v4 with infected vs survivors. And I would hate to see two teams of survivors going head to head with infected in the middle personally.

DeadlyPain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DeadlyPain

i seriously cannot wait for this because of the source SDK release as well, modders are gonna go fecking CRAZY! xD

:') makes me proud to be a PC gamer :D hehe ( i might even learn and make a custom map, cuz damn this game is so worth it! )
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29  Edited By kush

All I can say is this: ...it's about time! :) I wonder if "Survival Mode" is some kind of "Horde-ish" mode...that would be awesome!

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Diamond
PapaLazarou said:
they dont count steam sales only retail pc and retail 360 and only American sales."
I was specifically talking about 360 sales in that case, over 1 million on 360 only, in the US only, in the months of Nov and Dec only.

Hamz
said:
According to an article on Shacknews [LINK] regarding Left 4 Dead sales figures the game sold 1.8 million retail copies between PC and 360 versions and that number isn't even including Steam sales of the game either. And it also doesn't seem to take into account worldwide sales of the game so I imagine that figure is for North America only. So to whoever actually said the 360 version outsold the PC one, I would say you are probably going on an assumption more than fact. Just like I am going on the assumption that Steam sales figures for the game are likely a lot higher than the retail sales figures as most people would have taken advantage of the early demo access + price discount deal Steam had for the game.

When it comes to games being sold over Steam, even Valve ones, these reviews of sales tend to never include details and figures for how many copies were sold over the digital delivery service and only seem to focus on retail sales which can be very misleading. 1.8 million copies doesn't seem a lot if you just see the figure, but taking into account thats for the USA retail sales alone. Then who knows how many copies the game truely has sold worldwide in both retail and Steam sales.
Yes, I'm making educated guesses, Valve won't release real sales data.  Here's what data I've collected.

Valve has stated on different occasions that sales of their games at retail (I remember Day of Defeat specifically being brought up this way) were about equal to the Steam sales.  This evidence points to Steam sales not being highly out of proportion with retail sales.  Also, the 360 version had a discount period at retail as well.

Steam provides players currently playing and tops for each day. http://store.steampowered.com/stats/  Today L4D on Steam had less than 18k people play it simultaneously.  Then you can look at Xbox Live stats, L4D has been the #5 played 360 game (unique users, connected to the net, worldwide, similar to Steam stats).  Unfortunately Live doesn't release exact numbers for all games, but if you look at the number of people playing other Live games which state current players/max daily (similar to the Steam data), you can make some guesses.  This of course doesn't directly relate to how many people bought it, but again, it can give us some idea.

Either way, for Valve to simply choose not to fully support a version of the game that sold well over a million copies would be very disrespectful.  My biggest worry is Valve would rather foster the Steam environment because of the potential licensing they get with a healthy Steam market versus MS's controlled 360.