#1 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19377 posts) -

Current generation exclusive sequel to Homefront set in Philadelphia. It is an open world game featuring co-op play.

Via Joystiq:

Taking place four years into the occupation of the US by Korean forces – as portrayed in the original game – Homefront: The Revolution follows a new set of characters as they battle for freedom throughout the war-torn streets of Philadelphia.

By recruiting resistance fighters and using guerilla tactics in an open-world environment, players can terrorize KPA troops and attempt to gain the upper hand either alone or along with friends in online co-op.

#2 Edited by Nightriff (5260 posts) -

Is the first one really that bad?

#3 Edited by BeachThunder (12307 posts) -

@nightriff said:

No. It's not great, but it's certainly better than a lot of other linear modern military shooters.

Also, this looks like some Crytek-ass Crytek. Hopefully this is closer to Crysis than Homefront 1 though. But really, this gives me Half-Life 2 vibe.

Also wake up sheeple.

#4 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11458 posts) -

Could be cool.

#5 Posted by Veektarius (4984 posts) -

@nightriff said:

No. It wasn't great, but it's certainly better than a lot of other linear modern military shooters.

Also, this looks like some Crytek-ass Crytek. Hopefully this is closer to Crysis than Homefront 1 though. But really, this gives me Half-Life 2 vibe.

Also wake up sheeple.

The thing is, there was no reason to play its multiplayer, so for most people, the value proposition of $60 for five hours of gameplay doesn't add up. It wasn't aggressively bad or anything, but I sure don't remember much about its story beyond the implausible setup.

#6 Edited by Demoskinos (15115 posts) -

#7 Posted by Corevi (4451 posts) -

I don't understand why. The Homefront brand is worth dirt nothing, they might as well have called it The Cryvolution and called it a day.

#8 Edited by Nux (2407 posts) -

Hmmm, this is kinda surprising. I didn't think the first Homefront got a good reception.

#9 Edited by ViciousBearMauling (1203 posts) -

Yawn...

#10 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -

Oh, right. I forgot that this was in the works.

#11 Posted by Chaser324 (6716 posts) -

Well, Deep Silver owns the IP, so I guess they might as well use it. Regardless of how the first Homefront turned out, the concept of a land invasion in the US is generic enough to not restrict a developer and still fertile ground for a game (FREEDOM FIGHTERS 2 - WHY HASN'T IT HAPPENED?!)

#12 Posted by RioStarwind (575 posts) -

Well since they bought the IP it makes sense to make a game with it. Let's see if they can make a better game this time.

#13 Edited by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

Well they sure as shit ain't making a Freedom Fighters 2 so this will have to do I guess.

#14 Posted by FeverChill (31 posts) -

I actually didn't mind Homefront, just kind of a short forgettable game, I'll probably play this one though.

#15 Posted by Veektarius (4984 posts) -

@chaser324: Somehow they got the idea that people would rather have more Hitman? I'm not sure who they got this idea from. It sure as hell wasn't me.

#16 Posted by forteexe21 (456 posts) -

At least we know Vinny's next game for Gamefly.

#17 Edited by pyrodactyl (2286 posts) -

@veektarius said:

@chaser324: Somehow they got the idea that people would rather have more Hitman? I'm not sure who they got this idea from. It sure as hell wasn't me.

I would rather play a good hitman game than just about anything else. Too bad the last time they made blend ass stealth game #316 with pretty graphix instead. Hopefully they won't make the same mistake twice?

#18 Edited by me3639 (1837 posts) -

No matter what, they will make sick money off this because i think they snatched the rights for only $500,000.

#19 Posted by Shortbreadtom (848 posts) -

Man, Deep Silver are stepping it up. I hadn't heard of them a year ago, now it feels like I'm seeing them everywhere.

Having said that, not super excited about this. I'm kind of done with Crytek style FPS's

#20 Posted by Bobbyr (80 posts) -

If there aren't any mass graves that I can press X to hide in then count me out

#21 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Really? This is getting a sequel? Really?

#22 Posted by spraynardtatum (3524 posts) -

another next gen game coming out about militarized police.....hooray.

#23 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Nope. Not interested. If they had dropped all their story aspirations, and focused squarly on making a Battlefield competitor out of their multiplayer, which sounded promising the first time around, I might have given a damn.

The scenario was somewhat interesting before, but now it seems to have progressed too far down this alternate history to still be relatable. If it isn't relatable, they could just as well have come up with an all new sci-fi setting or something, rather sticking with rather unappealing vision of the US being occupied by North Korea. So silly.

Oh well. I guess Battlefield will go unopposed for yet another year - which is odd for a franchise that sells up 15 million units routinely.

#24 Posted by cmblasko (1325 posts) -

How did they explain North Korea (I'm assuming when they refer to Korean forces) becoming powerful enough to overtake the US in the original game? I could never get over the implausibility of that.

#25 Posted by GunstarRed (5405 posts) -

Where's my Binary Domain sequel.

#26 Posted by CreepingDeath0 (177 posts) -

Man, Deep Silver are stepping it up. I hadn't heard of them a year ago, now it feels like I'm seeing them everywhere.

You just weren't paying attention a year ago.

@cmblasko Yup, the concept of a country that has a population of 25 million somehow managing to invade, conquer, and then occupy a country with a population of 320 million is probably the most entertaining thing about this franchise.

#27 Edited by awesomeusername (4231 posts) -

@cmblasko: @creepingdeath0: They explain what happens in the intro to the game. YouTube link. It's just shy of 3 minutes so it isn't long.

another next gen game coming out about militarized police.....hooray.

Police? No, no, no. It's the Korean army fighting civilian rebels yo.

Well, Deep Silver owns the IP, so I guess they might as well use it. Regardless of how the first Homefront turned out, the concept of a land invasion in the US is generic enough to not restrict a developer and still fertile ground for a game (FREEDOM FIGHTERS 2 - WHY HASN'T IT HAPPENED?!)

Actually, Crytek owns the rights. Deep Silver is publishing.

#28 Edited by falserelic (5480 posts) -

Don't really know how this will turnout. I enjoyed the online portion of Homefront, but overall the game didn't really have anything special about it. I hope the devs adds something interesting to the gameplay...Wait a minute. I don't even have my ps4 at the moment. I did give it to sony hoping to get a new one (Since I didn't have the receipt). Its no point for me to talk about games that I can't play at the moment.

If Sony doesn't give me a new ps4, then Xone it is.

#29 Posted by pweidman (2358 posts) -

Open world free roam 'style' co-op is rumored and could make this a lot of fun. And Homefront wasn't terrible at all...the sp was competent and the mp was too, when it ran correctly(my biggest problem w/the game).

#30 Posted by Crembaw (489 posts) -

@cmblasko said:

How did they explain North Korea (I'm assuming when they refer to Korean forces) becoming powerful enough to overtake the US in the original game? I could never get over the implausibility of that.

Communism. Also Asian Magick compressed into a satellite of unreasonable capability. I wish I were joking.

#31 Posted by TheAcidSkull (673 posts) -

Meh

#32 Posted by FriendlyPhoenix (456 posts) -

I liked Homefront. The campaign was fully competent if not boring and the multiplayer was really fun. That said, I don't think I'll ever understand why Crytek bought the IP rather than making their own. There isn't anything special about Homefront, they could've just made another "America gets invaded by *insert country here*" series and it wouldn't change anything.

But whatever. That trailer looks pretty and I like Crytek so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

#33 Posted by Evilsbane (4698 posts) -

Hmm I never played the first one strictly because everyone was very "meh" about it which to me is the most damning thing you can say, boring is the worst possible outcome for entertainment value.

And while that cutscene looked nice the E3 showing will tell if this is anything worth getting excited about.

#34 Edited by SomberOwl (712 posts) -

Free roaming sandbox FPS. 4 player co-op. I'm interested.

#35 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -

I liked Homefront. The campaign was fully competent if not boring and the multiplayer was really fun. That said, I don't think I'll ever understand why Crytek bought the IP rather than making their own. There isn't anything special about Homefront, they could've just made another "America gets invaded by *insert country here*" series and it wouldn't change anything.

But whatever. That trailer looks pretty and I like Crytek so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

I think it came down to the fact that Crytek was working on the game for THQ when THQ went under, and so they just paid the cost to acquire the IP so that they could finish the game with otherwise minimal hassle.

#36 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

They're continuing with dumb alternate future? Okay. But then they should go all out with the stupidity. Like Kim Jong Un revives Jong Il and he gets a mech suit. Kim Jong Il then kills Kim Jong Un and he becomes Supreme Leader again. End of chapter 1.

#37 Edited by Hailinel (25203 posts) -

@shortbreadtom said:

You just weren't paying attention a year ago.

@cmblasko Yup, the concept of a country that has a population of 25 million somehow managing to invade, conquer, and then occupy a country with a population of 320 million is probably the most entertaining thing about this franchise.

Let's not forget the fact that the military of this 25 million-strong nation is also using equipment that's been outdated for decades and barely has the means to feed its soldiers.

#38 Posted by crithon (3441 posts) -

how exactly did North Korean become alien sci fi tech?

#39 Posted by BigJeffrey (5149 posts) -

meh

#40 Posted by Steadying (1426 posts) -
#41 Edited by BisonHero (6834 posts) -

Can we agree that the box art is pretty dumb? I'm tired of those face scarf things, and dude's pose is ridiculous.