This game is out soon. Will you be picking it up?

• 95 results
Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Poll This game is out soon. Will you be picking it up? (397 votes)

Yes. 18%
Not sure yet. 41%
Maybe later. 27%
NO. 14%

So this game comes out on the 28th of this month (October). And there has been no hype or media advertising for this game that I am aware of. However from what I have seen, it looks very similar to Souls games, but more action-y. The combat seems more from other action games. It has a similar UI to the souls games. It uses stamina in the same way. Same types of armor handling where heavy slows you down, etc. And a lot of the game play elements seem to have parallels.

I am personally pretty excited for this game. And will be getting it day one.

For those that are not aware, here is a video for the game.

Get hype!

• 
geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Maybe, we'll see. If there's proper player creation and gender options, definitely. But from 2 seconds of googling I couldn't find anything about there being such a thing, and I don't want to be Baldie McSerious.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Waitin' fer reviews before I decide.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

If this turns out to be a sleeper hit like Shadow of Mordor, then 2014 is gonna be the Year of Sleeper Hits.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks awesome! For me this game seems way more attractive to me than most of the stuff thats coming out next month. Im very curious to how the full game will turn out, and when im this curious i just buy the damn game whatever the reviews say, I love uncovering what a game is all about without knowing to much about it, just going in with an open mind and letting the game be whatever it is.......

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#55  Edited By Tennmuerti

Yea already did. Regardless of how it turns out in the minutia it's the type of game I like, and I'll play it just to see for myself whether it's good or bad or whatever.

Aquablak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely. Can't wait for it to arrive next week.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#57  Edited By ChrisTaran

I think this may be the first I'm even hearing of it... OR it just made no impression on me and I've totally forgot about it's existence.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Corevi
No Caption Provided

Dark Souls isn't my thing so I highly doubt I would enjoy a jankier off brand Souls game made by the highly esteemed developers of Venetica

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'll pick it up later, depending on the reviews. If it's anywhere near Dark Souls, I want to support and experience it. If it's a failed attempt, I'll pass.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why in the name of all that is good in the world would someone let the Venetica developers make another game? It's the only five dollar purchase I've ever made that gave me buyers remorse.

ImBigInJapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm cautiously optimistic for this. Definitely waiting for reviews, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5daa2dc0c43a6
deactivated-5daa2dc0c43a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Curious to see more of the game, so far it's looked okay. They're going with a single character instead of the character creator approach of dark souls so that would be a change of pace just in terms of things they can do with the story. But with Bloodborne (almost) right around the corner, I'll probably just wait till then.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Totally interested, but will wait for reviews

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By GiantLizardKing

I really want this game to be good, but I'm skeptical. If it gets high praise from people who love the Souls series I'm in.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marco724: 4 months isn't right around the corner; as anyone that expected Dark Souls II to come out in November can attest.

Avatar image for deactivated-5daa2dc0c43a6
deactivated-5daa2dc0c43a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: Good point. I guess seeing all the gameplay from the beta invites that rolled out made me think it was way closer than it actually was.

Zeds_Dead_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm interested buy waiting on reviews and general reception.

I read somewhere that the main story takes 11 or 12 hours to beat. While that's ok with me if there's a lot of side stuff to do, it's something I'm keeping an eye on because I generally do not play the same game over again (ng+) because my gaming time is pretty restricted and I prefer to move on to something else.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeds_dead_baby: That's mainly if you bumrush it, I'd expect it to take anywhere from 25-30 hours to do all the side stuff as well as the main mission on a single playthrough. It also seems to be straight up easier with the heavy warrior character so if you pick something more challenging it could take longer.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Played a bit of this at PAX. Didn't walk away very impressed. I feel like it pays a certain amount of lip service to the Souls inspiration, but doesn't, at least on first run through, understand very deeply what makes those games work on a mechanical level. It felt like a sluggish and awkward imitation of an already-yet-deliberately sluggish and awkward formula.

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

I literally had not heard of this game until I saw Lobos playing it on Twitch. Looked interesting, but mostly a holdover for Bloodborne. Mainly think it'll push me to get the DS2 DLC since people were pretty excited about that.

As a side note, is it sad that today's media makes me wonder if Lobos was paid off to show the game and talk about it on Twitter and otherwise? That was my first thought once I saw him in a few videos and on social media talking about having a preview build. I'd like to think not, but I can't help but be suspicious these days of Twitch/Youtube promo-type coverage given the recent scandals.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I literally had not heard of this game until I saw Lobos playing it on Twitch. Looked interesting, but mostly a holdover for Bloodborne. Mainly think it'll push me to get the DS2 DLC since people were pretty excited about that.

As a side note, is it sad that today's media makes me wonder if Lobos was paid off to show the game and talk about it on Twitter and otherwise? That was my first thought once I saw him in a few videos and on social media talking about having a preview build. I'd like to think not, but I can't help but be suspicious these days of Twitch/Youtube promo-type coverage given the recent scandals.

As far as I know they weren't paid, but CI did reach out and provide the preview build to several high-profile Souls community people (EpicNameBro did a similar video last week, for example).

@geirr said:

Maybe, we'll see. If there's proper player creation and gender options, definitely. But from 2 seconds of googling I couldn't find anything about there being such a thing, and I don't want to be Baldie McSerious.

There aren't any; the story is much more 'traditional' than Souls in that you play as a specific named dude who has voice acting in cutscenes, etc. I'd personally rather have the Souls-style lack of direct storytelling/world-building, but it'll ultimately come down to player preference.

I'm feeling myself getting unreasonably excited for this game, but still cautiously optimistic, which is weird, because I usually don't get excited for games pre-release at all. I can see it either being a sleeper hit for fans of the Soulslike genre (yes, I'm starting that genre name now), or a knockoff attempt that doesn't really understand or recreate the things that people enjoy the Souls games for. If I can catch it on sale for around $30ish and it reviews decently enough from people who already like Souls, I'll pick it up.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea already did. Regardless of how it turns out in the minutia it's the type of game I like, and I'll play it just to see for myself whether it's good or bad or whatever.

Exactly how I feel, and why I already bought it. I'm suspecting it's a far more linear experience; probably around 7-8 hours. Hope not. Not expecting a whole lot outside of some fun combat in new clothes (although I'm not digging the art style or the story so far, going off of Epic Name Bro's video).

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@development: The graphics of the areas are fairly atmospheric and interesting, ENB's just sort of dishing his own opinion the entire time without giving you that much time to develop your own based on gameplay. Watch Lobos' video, especially his second run.

@ajamafalous: Game looks solid and reasonable people will like it, but the vast majority of Souls devotees will always cling to their first experience without actually thinking about it.

@deathpooky: In the case of Lobos/ENB probably not as they're fairly opinionated people; in the case of others who can say? It also doesn't matter fundamentally, it's just another form of marketing. Journalism doesn't exist at present so there's no need to get worried about it.

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have not even heard of this game.

Probably not a good sign

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobbrobb said:

I would buy this and or Korra if Bayonetta 2 wasn't coming out in 3 days and I'm gonna spend my savings on a fucking Wii U. For now these smaller cool action games are gonna have to wait until I get more work. :/

Don't buy a Wii U now then. Wait until the holidays. I mean Bayonetta 2 is obviously a good game, but you are going to be spending close to $400 just to play it. Just wait a while, the urge will pass and you will be thankful

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#76  Edited By TobbRobb

@hellbound: It's cheaper than it's ever been, featured sale bundle with Bayo at my retailer ($300 with swede tax included). And I value that game higher than Lords of the Fallen on so many levels. It's honestly not even a competition. I don't think the Wii U is an efficient purchase at all, but I have a handful of games I want to play later. So it's not that painful.

Sorry neat soulsy game but you will have to wait! Also Korra isn't looking especially interesting, especially not when big sis is in town.

ImBigInJapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have not even heard of this game.

Probably not a good sign

I dunno, it's hard to say. These small Euro devs often pour their guts into the games with little budget left over to market. That's not to say every game produced in that environment ends up a winner, but they often punch above their weight in terms of ambition and scale. There was a time when STALKER and the Witcher were just blips on the radar too.

r3beld0gg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By r3beld0gg

This game wasn't on my radar until a few weeks ago. I was going to skip it, since I need to stop spending so damned much money on games but there is a ton of gameplay footage out there and it looks good. I've never played a Souls game, though I wanted to try. I was just put off by the difficulty I'd heard so much about. This game looks rough, but not undo-able. It may be more my speed than the Souls games, plus it's on my current gen machine. I'll wait for some reviews and a Quicklook to make my mind up for sure. It looks good, but I can't afford to get burned. In a way I hope it's crap so I can save the money lol. Kinda itching to play it, though.

Here's a video I just got done watching, from the dev. Apparently trying to answer some concerns about the gameplay. PS the cloth clipping through the shield bothers me more than it should...

Loading Video...
LarryDavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, with that kind of developer pedigree, how could I not???

I dunno, I'll end up playing it for review most likely, but I'm not that psyched for it. I guess now that Souls-Likes are a "thing" you might see more of this kind of stuff cropping up.

Also every time I see that cover image I think it's Tom Selleck.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No clue but if it's a shadow of a Souls game then it's probably worth playing. Even something bizarre like Dragon's Dogma has taken a solid 100 hours of my time just doing random stuff. Thanks for making a thread about it though, maybe that will create more interest.

Dragon's Dogma is it's own game with it's own heart and soul, not to mention mechanics. Lords of the Fallen just looks like a "we took everything bad about the souls games, made it worse, and threw all the good out".

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

Well it's not like the developers inspire much confidence. CI Games has a history of making mediocre knock off games. They've made a business on making shitty Call of Duty clones. Imagine Gameloft if instead of making $5 phone games they made $30 PC games that were somehow even less inspired. I'm sure this game will work and be relatively polished. But unless Deck13 has somehow upped their game since such atrocities as Venetica and Blood Knights then I don't have much of any hope for this collaboration. I'd love to be surprised, though. Even Techland occasionally manages to put out something that isn't pure crap.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched a couple of streams and I really liked how it played and looked. Looking forward to playing it tonight.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@karkarov said:

@fredchuckdave said:

No clue but if it's a shadow of a Souls game then it's probably worth playing. Even something bizarre like Dragon's Dogma has taken a solid 100 hours of my time just doing random stuff. Thanks for making a thread about it though, maybe that will create more interest.

Dragon's Dogma is it's own game with it's own heart and soul, not to mention mechanics. Lords of the Fallen just looks like a "we took everything bad about the souls games, made it worse, and threw all the good out".

Dragons Dogma is excellent, I sunk so many hours into it. Never played an RPG with so much diversity and fun in the combat. Every class feels radically different and I keep living in hopes of hearing that Dragons Dogma 2 is in development. Proper Dragon Dogma 2 mind you, not Deep Below or whatever that weird online game thing is.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: They're masterworks, all. You can't go wrong.

gravytrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far the performance on PC seems to be awful. Random crashes, FPS issues, some guy was even saying he was locked to 30 frames. So no, as much as I want to buy this, I will not do so until they fix these issues and do some PC optimization.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Karkarov

@humanity said:

@karkarov said:

@fredchuckdave said:

Dragons Dogma is excellent, I sunk so many hours into it. Never played an RPG with so much diversity and fun in the combat. Every class feels radically different and I keep living in hopes of hearing that Dragons Dogma 2 is in development. Proper Dragon Dogma 2 mind you, not Deep Below or whatever that weird online game thing is.

Ask and ye shall receive.

http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/38151/20140917/dragons-dogma-2-confirmed.htm

I know the article is a little wonky and don't know of any specific "reveal" but there are tons of older articles where Hideaki Itsuno talks about Dogma 2 and basically outright said "we already started working on it" from back in 2012.

r3beld0gg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just started playing. So far, I like it. I was a bit frustrated in the beginning. I didn't quite have the hang of the combat and you pretty much face the first boss right in the beginning of the game (no spoiler. If you've watched any gameplay footage, you've probably seen the big guy with the shield.)
I guess it's kinda sink or swim. He killed me a few times before I really got a handle on what I needed to do. Now I think I could take him again easily. So... mission accomplished on the tutorial? The game doesn't tell you a few things that I think it should in tutorial (like how you can do a leap attack or back step, or that you can switch from two handed to sword and shield, OR how to use the damned health potion). I figured it all out pretty quickly on my own, pushing buttons, though.

I've never played a Souls game, and though I was tempted, I didn't want to take on the brutal difficulty I'd heard about. If I get frustrated with difficulty in games these days I tend to quit. I want a challenge, but I want to relax and have fun, not beat my head on the wall. This game seems challenging enough, but still fun so far. We'll see if it holds up. Most of the complaints I've been hearing from people online are that this game isn't Dark Souls, or Dark Souls did this or that better. I don't care. Never played Dark Souls. From that perspective this game seems like what I wanted it to be. At least, the first hour or so has been.

Tip: I had trouble deciding on my class options. I generally tend to go rogue or mage. This time, I've decided to go heavy. I think the rogue's speed will be hindered by the tightness of some of the areas. Though I'm glad I went heavy, I switched to medium (Cleric) armor as soon as I found it. The doge roll is pretty useless in heavy armor (which is why I had so much trouble with The Warden.) HUGE difference in Cleric armor. Twice as fast, almost as good defense. So if the game feels like shit in heavy armor, just get lighter armor and switch from two handed to sword and shield. Feels MUCH better.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#88  Edited By mike

@karkarov said:

@humanity said:

@karkarov said:

@fredchuckdave said:

Ask and ye shall receive.

http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/38151/20140917/dragons-dogma-2-confirmed.htm

I know the article is a little wonky and don't know of any specific "reveal" but there are tons of older articles where Hideaki Itsuno talks about Dogma 2 and basically outright said "we already started working on it" from back in 2012.

Dude...kdramastars? They're a click bait site that rarely backs anything up with a source and it is even more rare that they actually get anything right.

Here's a KDramaStars article where they say Red Dead Redemption for Xbox One, PS4 and PC was confirmed at PAX Prime, and RDR 2 is in development...

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The game is a mixed bag. The visuals are technically quite nice, though the art direction is pretty much ripped straight from Darksiders. The combat is fun and fluid, except when I was fighting the second boss I was CLEARLY landing hits on him and he wasn't taking damage. Challenge is decent, there's a really cool risk-reward system where you get more exp for going longer without saving. Can't say I like the spells on my defensive cleric guy but who knows what the other classes play like.

I'd say it's worth it if you absolutely have to play something this week, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Souls games.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

Anyway, after reading some reviews...I'm going to wait for this to be deeply discounted on Steam, which shouldn't be long.

The PC version evidently needs a patch badly, too.

r3beld0gg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By r3beld0gg

I'll also add, thoug I like the game so far and this doesn't kill it for me, the character animations when you talk to people it fucking inexcusably bad. I mean fucking terrible. The lip syncing is nearly nonexistent and the way they move when they speak is laughably bad. I'm just sitting here watching this monk tweak out like a meth addict... Gameplay animation looks fine, though.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

I want to go out of my way and make a point of that all of the reviews up so far covered the game before the big day one patch arrived, which it did a few hours ago. I found myself playing a LOT of the game today, found it damn near impossible to put down in fact, and I've not experienced a single crash nor performance hit. There's absolutely a fair share of minor bugs, such as the health bar of a boss remaining until you move out of the arena after the fight, or one of the wall-climbing spiders finding itself crawling through thin air until I delivered a hit to it, which was hilarious to see. Both of these happened the one time to me, and have yet to repeat themselves. The way I understand it, most folks who had been experiencing issues with the preview build were running NVidia cards; and as I'm running an AMD one, I can't comment on whether these major performance problems still persist. At least, it looks god damn gorgeous.

As for the game itself, I think it's pretty damn great. The beginning is by far the weakest portion, being fairly easy and just kind of uninspired. It very much feels like they're tutorializing you, in almost a pandering kind of way. Interestingly enough, this was the segment they chose to send to testers on youtube, etc. Once you beat the second boss, however, it really picks up. They introduce a bunch of new enemy types, start to offer you multiple paths to go as well as a ton of optional areas that are just hard as balls. It also feels like they're constantly shaking up the enemy rotations, putting you up against groups of diverse enemies that complement each other in a way that makes them considerably harder to fight than two of either kind would. A large bugger with a tower-shield pressuring you while his nimble-ass friend runs in circles around you, or leaps over his friends' head to strike at you. It's honestly pretty damn neat. The bosses become considerably more involved, as well. The third one actually gave me a fair bit of trouble.

By the time they introduce runes, you can modify your equipment in ways that are really interesting. You can create a miasma of poison that slows your enemies by attaching a poison rune to your explosion-based gauntlet, or have your projectile-based gauntlet lance through enemies. Your blast gauntlet can become a flame-thrower, etc.

It's also worth noting that this game is a different beast from the Souls' series. For all it's similarities, trying to play it in an identical fashion is going to end up hurting you more than it'll help. There's a lot of aspects that this game does better than the Souls series, such as how diverse the weapon types are, or how armour-class makes a difference beyond numerical stats. I'm certainly not going to claim that Lords of the Fallen is a better game, but I reckon that if folks stop comparing them so closely together, they'll not only enjoy this game considerably more for what it is, but they'll also be better at it.

Also, the fourth magic ability is fucking silly in a fantastic way.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb said:

Dude...kdramastars? They're a click bait site that rarely backs anything up with a source and it is even more rare that they actually get anything right.

Here's a KDramaStars article where they say Red Dead Redemption for Xbox One, PS4 and PC was confirmed at PAX Prime, and RDR 2 is in development...

Oh I concur, which is why I also mentioned there are multiple other articles stating the game is "in development" but they are old and give no details beyond that and the fact that they want some sort of player created quest system. The only reason Iinked that one is that it is the most recent and is the only one with any kind of promo image.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Ezekiel

Not interested. It looks like a lazy imitation. As much as I like the Souls games, I don't even think a lot of their ideas are so good that they should be copied by other games. It shows a lack of creativity and taste, which is probably evident in other areas of the game.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@karkarov said:

@mb said:

Oh I concur, which is why I also mentioned there are multiple other articles stating the game is "in development" but they are old and give no details beyond that and the fact that they want some sort of player created quest system. The only reason Iinked that one is that it is the most recent and is the only one with any kind of promo image.

Don't toy with my emotions Krakarov..