Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#52  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@legion_ said:

@karkarov said:

No it is the best game in the series. You need to account for the fact that it was an early Xbox release and they obviously hadn't worked out everything yet hence issues like the texture pop in. Also if you play the PC version a large number of the issues you mention simply don't exist. While the gameplay itself is not as good as ME 2 or even 3, and yes the Mako is ass, the story, branching dialog, sound track, and over all atmosphere of the game make up for it. I cared about what was going down in ME1... I was interested in ME2.... and I felt very meh most of ME3. Fortunately you can basically skip the Mako if you want, and the mechanics of the games combat while worse is still okay and perfectly tolerable.

No, it's the worst game in the series. And no, I won't account for the game being a early Xbox release, because that doesn't make it any better. The game is a mess, which is a shame, considering the story is pretty good.

.... it actually does make it better in the sense of that you understand why some of the issues exist. People didn't have UE3 figured out. Go back and play any UE3 game.

Plenty of people can get past technical issues if the story is better, the world is better, the game is more open etc. I guess you can't, but others can.

@slashdance said:

Everytime someone mentions how bad the Mako was, all I want to do is boot up the game and drive around for a bit. I loved that thing.

It's not bad at all. It's just fine in the story missions. The only issue is that the side planets which are just boring in themselves. That has nothing to do with the Mako. Just another aspect of ME1 that could have been refined but instead was totally scrapped going into 2, which is unfortunate.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@artisanbreads: It doesn't make it any more fun to play, which is all that matters. Super Mario 3 still holds up, and I don't have to give that game a free pass just because it's old. The game is what it is, and even though I realize it was hard to program for a new console, that doesn't make the game any better today.

And the Mako sucks.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#54  Edited By Tennmuerti

Sounds like a console version.

Which is understandable as a lot of people who played that version had those exact problems with the game.

However on the PC the first Mass Effect holds up quite well and a lot of those problems you mentioned are completely non existent. I've replayed it again back when ME2 came out and the game looked quite good, with sharp textures, no pop in, running at 60+ fps. And the inventory menus were perfectly usable with M&K. There is also a quick save on PC as well as easy fast manual saves.

There you go, that's already most of the negatives completely removed from the quality equation.

Saying that ME leveling system is bad however just shows that you're not very good/experienced at RPGs, no offense. It was easily the best most varied system of the series with the most potential. The stuff you could make with that leveling system was more diverse, more interesting, more powerful and way more rewarding then anything in ME2 or 3. Compared to some shit you could do in the first game, in 2 and 3 Shepard straight up felt like a wet noodle. With some thought and effort you could create a character that had so much shields with such a fast recharge that you could literally (and i am not misusing the word) just walk through firefights never taking cover feeling almost invulnerable; or create an actual biotic god that could shut down multiple squads and keep them helpless for as long as you wished completely at your mercy, in total control of the battlefield; or you could be sniping geth armatures and one shotting them with a proper setup and weapon build; or run around as an infiltrator with an buff ability that was on 90% of the time with a pistol that froze everyone had no recoil, almost no spread, never overheated, fired faster then an AR and did more damage; etc, the list of builds can go on. You could actually play the same single class in very different ways.

The dumbed down simplified leveling of ME2 is kind of a joke to any rpg fan who loved ME1 and it was widely criticized outside of mainstream journalism.

Others have already chipped in on the story aspects. ME2 collect the team and babysit their daddy issues while not really moving the overall story forward is a downright disappointment.

Mako is personal preference, but once again i found if controlled fine with a M&K and was a hell of a lot of fun to drive, once you figured out it's tricks and how to properly cheese the hell out of it :P

Mako 4 Life.
Mako 4 Life.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No, it actually is a pretty excellent game. And it has, what I think is, the best moment in the entire series.

The lengthy, compelling and kind of terrifying conversation with Sovereign.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@legion_ said:

No, it's the worst game in the series. And no, I won't account for the game being a early Xbox release, because that doesn't make it any better. The game is a mess, which is a shame, considering the story is pretty good.

.... it actually does make it better in the sense of that you understand why some of the issues exist. People didn't have UE3 figured out. Go back and play any UE3 game.

Plenty of people can get past technical issues if the story is better, the world is better, the game is more open etc. I guess you can't, but others can.

@slashdance said:

Everytime someone mentions how bad the Mako was, all I want to do is boot up the game and drive around for a bit. I loved that thing.

Nah the Mako was rough, but I could deal with it. As for Legion_, that's nice, do you want a cookie for being obstinate? Again even if you don't want to overlook those flaws I reply by simply pointing at the PC version which has been available cheap as dirt many times (I actually got it free) and fixes 90% of your issues. As in no texture pop in, massively faster loads, better resolution, better interface, better FPS blah blah blah. Your auto saving complaint I overlooked but frankly was never legitimate to begin with, the fact that you relied on auto saves is actually hilarious to me. Maybe you didn't notice but you can save anywhere in the game as long as you aren't in combat, the fact that you didn't bother isn't the games fault.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not bad at all. It's just fine in the story missions. The only issue is that the side planets which are just boring in themselves. That has nothing to do with the Mako. Just another aspect of ME1 that could have been refined but instead was totally scrapped going into 2, which is unfortunate.

@karkarov said:

Nah the Mako was rough

You guys keep saying that, I'll be over here climbing up mountains and jumping off cliffs.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@legion_ said:

@artisanbreads: It doesn't make it any more fun to play, which is all that matters. Super Mario 3 still holds up, and I don't have to give that game a free pass just because it's old. The game is what it is, and even though I realize it was hard to program for a new console, that doesn't make the game any better today.

And the Mako sucks.

Again, you get hung up on technical limitations, I enjoy a better story and atmosphere and more freedom and exploration (probably all the most important elements to an RPG).

Beyond that, play it on PC and it performs much better. The criticisms ring hollow, especially for someone who is an RPG fan. A shooter fan? Sure.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karkarov: Okay, that's pretty idiotic. Of course the auto save is a problem, and the hard save would only be a viable alternative if it was I could use it all the time. For instance, I blasted my way through the easy as fuck Peak 15 part. Then I suddenly ran into Benezia. There was no autosave before the fight, and I couldn't save after running into the room, because I was in combat. Pretty fucking terrible, like most of ME1.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Legion_

@tennmuerti: I've played ALOT of RPG's in my day, and it's easily my favorite genre. Still, I thought the level system in Mass Effect sucked. You gain levels way to easy, so the thrill of levelling up is gone. And there's simply to many choice each time. I think the game would have benefitted by having fewer levels (the cap is 60, it should be 30), with each level up being more meaningful.

@artisanbreads: I'm of the school that thinks story should service gameplay. The interactivity is the most important part of games, and if it's not fun to play, I find it hard to recommend. Still, I've commited to replaying the entire trilogy, which I suppose speaks volumes about the characters.

reckless_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

By today's standards, the game had its faults. But at the time... damn, was that an awesome experience. Still prefer Mass Effect 2 out of the three for its balance on story and mechanics, but that universe is easily one of my favorites from this generation.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By today's standards, the game had its faults. But at the time... damn, was that an awesome experience. Still prefer Mass Effect 2 out of the three for its balance on story and mechanics, but that universe is easily one of my favorites from this generation.

I'm still hoping for a Mass Effect MMO. I think it's the only universe I'd be interested in playing as a MMO.

Vod_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#63  Edited By Vod_Crack

Yeah, I agree. ME1 is fairly terrible. The only redeemable thing was it's interesting game world. The actual game itself was quite boring and bad, in my opinion. I really liked ME2 (was floored by how much I liked it at the time) and somewhat indifferent towards ME3.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@canteu: I shall hit enter between every sentence.

For no apparent reason.

Indeed.

In terms of money pretty much everyone that isn't a little kid has enough money to buy games, especially with how fast prices crash now, maybe you can't afford $60 every time a game you want comes out but you can probably muster $30 a few months later; at least if you're taking the time to browse internet game forums. No slight meant on that front. Did Einstein/Vaas ever tell you the definition of insanity? Aside from Super Metroid, Link to the Past, and a handful of really good platformers (or possibly any emulated game sped up about 20x) there's pretty much no game that you should play 20 times over (unless you're trying to speed run I suppose). Even if it's the best game of all time you'll have a lot more value for your first few runs than you'll ever have on subsequent runs, and you could easily find a game on some console that's worth playing instead of dumping another 30 hours on Dark Cloud 2 or whatever.

Uncharted 2 is an absolutely incredible game and I spent about 100 hours playing it, but by the 5th or 6th time through the campaign even something as awesome as it got a little dry; the vast majority of multiplayer games get boring about 20 hours after you get good at them, some 50. Starcraft: Brood War is an exception here, but it also benefitted from the creativity of future indy developers and the like who had no other outlet for their abilities so you had dozens and dozens of genres emerging in just the one game, then WC3 happened and one genre instead of dozens became pre-eminent.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Canteu

@fredchuckdave: You seem to believe that playing one game multiple time renders one incapable of playing others. Not sure where you got that from. I've obviously played many, many other games other than the ones I mentioned, and I'm sure the first guy has played many more games than the Mass Effect series.

Frankly, playing a platformer over and over, now that's weird, since you're literally memorizing patterns. At least the games we mentioned have some variation and player agency other than to enact a pre-set perfect path.

I still fail to see your point. I guess it's because you don't have one, and were just trying to be snarky.

You can't tell people what to enjoy. It doesn't work like that.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By casper_

i feel like the mako myth is greater than the reality. its not that bad at all and it comprises like 4% of gameplay. jeff brings it up every time he talks about the game and while they aren't the best parts of the game i kind of enjoyed them.

mass effect 2 felt like a really weird transition to me. for instance in ME1 combat could come out of a conversation with an npc in a bar or something in ME2 you were constantly loaded into corridors with moving targets. i cant think of a moment in ME2 where you can get out of combat through dialogue in a way that isn't a set up renegade or paragon action. i dont know i guess i felt more like i was playing a cheesy action movie in that game.

mass effect and DA:O were the last bioware games that felt like they were made by bioware as i understood them (maybe my understanding was wrong.) everything after that just didn't connect with me or felt like is wasn't made for me which is fine but i've moved on.

jclane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, it actually is a pretty excellent game. And it has, what I think is, the best moment in the entire series.

I agree through and through. It was a time when there was still mystery wrapped around the origins of the Reapers, and the writing staff were channeling their best Lovecraft impressions to create a true menace. Over time, the species just lost its threatening figure, though the derelict Reaper from ME2 sparked more of the tension that I enjoyed, what with the "dead gods can dream" motif going on. But, just look back at the conversations with the prominent Reapers: Sovereign on ME1 instilled terror and malice. Harbinger's speech at the end of Arrival lost some of that mojo, and by the time we speak to the destroyer on Rannoch, the spark had all but died out.

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#69  Edited By RenegadeSaint

STRONGLY DISAGREE.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Mass Effect was the best in the series.

Shepherds story in Mass Effect was about the underdog, fighting against the government to fight a rouge specter. This is where a lot of the Paragon and Renegade tension came from. Disobeying your orders from command would give you renegade points but it could also save lives, it was the emotion that you can save people that drove you to pick renegade or paragon.

In Mass Effect 2 Shepherd was no longer an Underdog, he was the only one who could save the galaxy, he could do no wrong, not just because he was a specter, that part didn't mater anymore. Paragon and Renegade had been reduced to extreme actions, that were driven by the emotion of excitement, as opposed to the emotion of the plot.

I preferred Mass Effect greatly over ME2.

gogosox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think mass effect is great. I love it and i think its the best in the series, though tbh I we need not compare me1 to 2 and 3 as weird as that sounds. ME1 is an rpg while ME2 and 3 are shooters with light rpg mechanics. ME2 and 3 are shooters will light rpg elements. I didn't have a problem with most of the things you said here b/c i played on the pc where the framerate is solid, the iu is ok but certainly manageable, and you can quicksave anytime (and if you do your build right, this isn't a problem since about 1/3 of the way into the game you can become unstoppable god. I'll agree that I wasn't a fan of the mako, but i really liked the concept. I was actually disappointed that they dropped it instead of expanding on it. Bioware has always had some cheesy lines of dialogue, its to be expected when you have to write that many lines of dialogue for game. There are plenty of games that are significantly worse in this respect. But i think the writing is pretty solid and the world building they do is amazing in ME1. Also the story is significantly better in ME1 than in 2 and 3 and that's what you play me for.The story not the combat. That's one of the main reasons why I don't like ME3 as much as ME1 and 2. There's not a lot of story or dialouge options in ME3 which just makes me less interested in the game since there are games with better combat.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Rowr

Not a great shooter, Far superior RPG.

I dunno it just had that Bioware magic with the writing and characters, Mass Effect 2 felt like it lost a bit of that, by the time 3 came around it was just gone - In it's place some of the most retarded melodramatic B grade shit i've ever seen, most of the characters completely unlikable - shepard being the biggest fuck stick of the whole lot.

I'm just having a revelation that given shepard half fills the responsibility of the player role playing him, his personality lying within his dialogue responses and actions are written to cater to how the target audience expects him to react. Dam. That's what happened here - this shit got totally "big bang theoried." Every response shepard makes not being remotely close to my approval or expectations is probably due to me no longer being the target audience. Instead it was probably all run through Michael Bays transformer movies script generator for cool teens

Dam anyway back on track.

Unfortunately ME1 falls half into the gameplay category of a shooter. Shooters play like ass within like 3 years of age, and this one wasn't that great to begin with.

If you were excited for Mass Effect at that time, you weren't excited about getting it to shoot shit. You were excited because it was the new fucking Bioware RPG. One of the big opinions at the time was that the combat should of been left the same as Knights of the old republic (I agree). Man how that might of changed things for the trilogy.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@legion_ said:
  • Looks bad: The game simply has awful graphics. It's bland and boring to look at, and especially the uncharted planets are underwhelming. And don't get me started on the awful texture pop in. Oh well, you did. It's awful.
  • Stable frame rate of 12: Okay, so I don't know what the average frame rate for this game is, but it's certainly under 30. It's understandable that it will take a hit in dense combat situations, but it's unforgivable that it barely keeps it together when Shepard and gang are just walking around the Citadel.
  • Longest load times ever: This pretty much explains itself. There's awfully long loading times, and it doesn't help when they stack them on top each other, so you might not actually play the game for five minute stretches at a time. And those fucking elevators.
  • Grueling checkpointing: This is perhaps the worst part of the entire game. The game has a autosave function, but it uses it so terribly bad. It saves every time you change location in the Citadel, forcing you to wait long stretches at a time, but then figures out it's not a good idea to save before hard boss fights. I fought my way to Benezia, and promptly died, only to realize the last time the game autosaved was over an hour ago, when I first got in the Mako! Unforgivable.
  • MAKO: Ugh...
  • Plays bad: Simply put, the combat is bad. Really bad. It's boring, slow and uninspired. You don't ever get the feeling you're actually in a firefight, mostly thanks to the toy guns you're using.
  • Some awful writing: This was perhaps the thing that shocked me the most, as I remember Mass Effect having solid writing. And for the most part, it's fine. But there are some points in the game where I covered my eyes in shame, it was so bad I got embarrassed. Especially the part where you fight Benezia is awful. She manages to break free of Sovereigns' indoctrination for a while, getting all emotional with Liara. She then suddenly turns around and says: DIE. Literally, she says that. It reminded me of that part in the Mortal Kombat movie when that chick says something like "Too-bad-you...................................Will die!". It strikes again at the end of the fight, with some terrible drama, where she proclaims that they always said there would be a white light, but she doesn't see it. What is this, a soap?
  • Busted levelling: The main problem here is that there's too many levels. You get levels for opening a door or looking at your ship. It makes the level up less satisfying, and more like a mandatory skill dump every now and then. It doesn't help that there's simply to many choices, leading to you never really feeling more powerful.
  • Busted inventory and loot: Damn these systems are bad. First off, you just get to much loot. And so much of that loot looks fucking ugly. The other problem is of course that cycling through all this loot is made even more boring by creating one of the worst interfaces ever. It's a shame.

I replayed 1 before 3 came out and still loved it.

I could write a thoughtful genuine response to all the things you said here but, considering some of your responses that would be a waste of my time, so heres a defense of ME1 with as much thought and care put into it as you put into your post.

1. It's an old game what do you expect?

2. Untrue.

3. Untrue .

4. Maybe if you SUCKED less then this wouldn't be a problem.

5. I hope that an ugh of amazement and awe because the Mako is fucking FANTASTIC. Seriously though I legitimately thought the mako was good.

6. The combat is great.

7. To get serious again for a second, very few games don't have SOME awful writing, for the most part the writing in Mass effect is great.

8. Really? I loved the fact that there are a lot of choices in the leveling system, Mass Effect 1 is an RPG not a third person shooter, you should be prepared to spend some time in the level up menu.

9. Again, it's an RPG you are obviously going to have to manage loot a lot. Maybe if you weren't so inept at using menus then you'd be fine here.

Cock. Are you offended because I think (know) Mass Effect is a bad game? Weird.

1. Lot's of old games look good.

2. True.

3. True.

4. It's the game that sucks, not me.

5. Mako sucks.

6. Combat is bad.

7. So because other games have bad writing, it's okay for ME to have it? Solid logic if you're 12.

8. I love RPG's, and I'm certainly used to spending time in menus. The levelling system is bad because you get too many levels, and each skill point you dump feels like it's wasted. Should have focused on fewer levels, and more impact for each level up.

9. I'm just fine at using menus.

10. You are a bad person.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

I think ME1 easily has the best story and plot structure of the entire series, and, while I prefer the combat in the series' later games, it's still pretty fun to play as a biotic and throw people around, especially in the final zero-G mission. It can definitely be frustrating, but playing through it for about the 5th time last year (first time on PC, though), I had an absolutely delightful time. Mako can actually be pretty fun, too, once you realize how easy it is to snipe with it/drive past all enemies.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

So it's ok to whine about Mass Effect now? Woooooooooooooo.

ME1 is mildly interesting and ME2 is crap. Yaaaaaaaay.

*Anything said in this post is entirely the opinion of TobbRobb and can be subject to change at any moment while still preserving the general message of "not for me".*

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@daneian said:

@fearbeard said:

It certainly has it's gameplay and design flaws, but I'll always argue that it has the best story out of the three of them.

In my opinion: Mass Effect 1 has the best story, Mass Effect 2 has the best characters and crew, Mass Effect 3 has the best gameplay.

@daneian said:

@demoskinos said:

Mass Effect 1's story was way better than anything else in the series.

Can you elaborate on this? I've heard other people make this claim, but have never understood the stance. What is it about the story that you think is better than the others?

I look at the main quest and see a story that starts with the Normandy randomly stumbling into a distress call from Eden Prime that leads Shepard to discover Saren's evil plans, goes to the Citadel and lucks into finding half a dozen others that join your party for various unrelated reasons and then proceeds down a series of loosely connected stories that feel more like a Saturday morning cartoons 'stop the villains evil machinations' than steps down a logically plotted path. The stories on Virmire, Noveria and Feros have nothing in common except that Saren went there and caused some trouble because Sovereign told him to. It's a patchwork of stories rather than a single cohesive one.

What they all have in common is universe building. Not only do they introduce you to pretty much every major theme/idea in the Mass Effect universe, they tie them all to Saren and eventually to Sovereign. By the time the game is over you've chased Saren all over the galaxy and learned all about the Genophage, the Rachni, Indoctrination, the Geth, the Protheons, and how Sovereign and the reapers use the Mass Effect Relays to control how the galaxy grows. Yes, there is a lot going on but everything is tied to Saren and Sovereign.

Mass Effect 2 might have the best individual stories with the characters but as a whole it's not very cohesive. Most of the game is spent gathering up your crew and getting their loyalty. When you look at the main story thread it's pretty bare. With just a handful of missions learning about the Collectors, their goal, and how they are related to the Reapers.

Mass Effect 3 basically just goes from major theme/idea and closes the thread on them. Commendable but a lot of it is undone by the original ending making a lot of your earlier choice completely irrelevant.

I understand that the stories on those planets are all tied to Saren and Sovereign and flesh out the world, but they still exist separately from each other. For whatever reason, and maybe unfairly, I look at them as being about as related as every episode of Ninja Turtles. It's all in service of the universe building, that's where my issues lie. Don't get me wrong, that's an incredibly challenging thing to get right and imperative for the first game in a trilogy to pull off.

As far as Mass 2, gathering a group of individuals for an incredibly dangerous mission that will decide the fate of the universe and making them a unified team is the story. In learning more about their pasts, you better understand them as people and are better equipped to lead them. Hell, the game builds to a point that tests your ability to utilize their individual specialties- gameplay that rewards your investment in the story. It definitely has a smaller scope, but that focus ensures relevancy and thus, cohesion.

The "get the team together" motif of the second game just doesn't tickle my fancy. Also I just think the reaper angle is fucking stupid. I liked it better when it was just Saren and the Geth. The entire game just felt more pure it was something nobody had ever seen before and that is why it caught on. The later games just turned into bad corridor action shooters. But getting back to the story I think Saren is absolutely the most compelling character in the entire series flat out. There were also some just fantastic choice moments. The story's pacing just felt better and I felt way more driven in the first one to an actual cause. Where in Mass Effect 2 it felt like you just kept getting sidetracked. No real comment on anything Mass Effect 3 because i didn't play it and won't because the series entirely lost me after mass effect 2.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FUCK THAT, ME1 IS THE HIGH POINT OF THE ENTIRE SERIES.

Mass Effect 2 is the beginning of the end for the series, and the point where Bioware started to go more for boring shooter with lite RPG elements rather than an actual RPG. They began simplifying conversations into top right blue/bottom right red with no in between choices, took out seemingly all exploration (The Mako rules btw) and the main story is not very good. Also, The Collector's are pretty awful as an antagonist when compared to what Saren/Sovereign were in the the first game.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Mass Effect 1 certainly had its fair share of problems, but that doesn't make it a bad game. To say otherwise would be completely ignoring what the game does best, story and atmosphere. Exploring a depressing, desolate alien World only to stumble into a Thresher Maw nest is awesome. I'm a sucker for open-world games. I love being able to craft my own experience within a game rather than being lead down a cheese maze only to be plucked out for the next mission till the game ends. It was a huge disappointment to learn Bioware completely abandon the open nature of the side missions in ME 2. For me, it was the best part of the Mass Effect series and something I'll always look back fondly on regardless of what anyone has to say to the contrary. Fuck y'all Mako haters.

Camoufrage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Camoufrage

Looks bad: Cmon, you could say that about any game from 2007. The game is pretty old, and for the time it looks great. Judging the looks 6 years later isn't really fair.

Stable frame rate of 12: If you play on PC that is not the case at all. Sure on Xbox and PS3 it has it's problems, but it is definitely not set at 12. But yes, they could have done some better optimization.

Load times are long: Most games from 2007 had long load times, for sure.

Grueling Checkpointing: Can't argue there. Some of the checkpoints are atrociously bad. Probably because it was built with quick save in mind (which consoles don't get).

MAKO: No comment

Some awful writing: All of the Mass Effect games have awful writing, such as 3's fucking terrible Deus Ex Machina ending. Actually can't think of anything for 2, god that game's great. Though I'm sure it exists.

Busted Leveling: I thought the idea of getting XP for exploring was pretty cool, though it could've been implemented better. And in the later levels upgrades hardly mean anything.

Busted inventory system: Yeah, there is some awful loot for sure, and they could have toned down the amount you get a bit. But it certainly isn't terrible. At least they sort it out in sections, what if they didnt? That would be one helluva ride.

In all, I think calling the game bad is a little too far. The game does definitely has it's high points. Saren was a really cool villain, and becoming a Spectre was great. Not to mention it marks the first time you meet memorable characters like Tali, Wrex, Garrus, and Liara. Not to mention the GREAT conversation with Sovereign. Mass Effect 2 and 3 (maybe) is definitely a better game in every way, but that doesn't make the first game BAD. Just inferior, which I can certainly agree on.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I disagree. It may not play as well as Mass Effect 2, but I like the first two equally. I think it's because the original has more RPG mechanics in it than the sequels, which I quite enjoy.

JNSK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By JNSK

The checkpointing part was only an issue for me once, and then I started manually saving like you're supposed to... But yeah, ME1 is hard to go back to, but I still think it does a lot of things better than 2 and 3, and I wish they iterated on more of the ideas in 1 rather than going the streamlined direction they went in 2.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

im sure if i tried hard enough i could find fault and pick a part any game.

i just really enjoyed all the ME games and didn't really care about the faults you found

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@genocidalkitten:

7. Three lines of dialouge? More like the entire Noveria section, and every scene Benezia is in. And then there's the stuff with Liara when she's melding your minds... "Embrace eternity!" and then she faints. So bad.

8. I think it's important to give proper feedback for every level. Mass Effect failed to do that by making every level less significant.

10. You insulted me like hell for no reason. I certainly put weight into every complaint I have about the game.

I just finished it yesterday, and jumped straight over to Mass Effect 2. I found myself playing it for five hours straight, because it was such a relief to play compared to the first game.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bell_end said:

im sure if i tried hard enough i could find fault and pick a part any game.

i just really enjoyed all the ME games and didn't really care about the faults you found

Don't really have to try all that hard to find faults with Mass Effect.

HairyMike87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#86  Edited By HairyMike87

I'm replaying through this game on 360 with it installed and it's much better than playing it off the disc. It's still not stable and has texture pop-in, but I can look past that and enjoy the story. I really like the music, sci-fi theme and the story. I understand the negatives, but for me, it's one of my favorite games.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@legion_ said:

@genocidalkitten:

10. You insulted me like hell for no reason. I certainly put weight into every complaint I have about the game.

I think I made it pretty clear at the beginning of my first post that all of the points I was making were a joke, a parody of your points.

You really didn't, your complaints were mostly just you stating an opinion and not explaining it, and you were a total dick to anyone that stated a different opinion.

I really did, and I was certainly not a dick towards anyone. You're just insulted because I don't like Mass Effect, which is crazy.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Legion_

@legion_ said:

@karkarov said:

No it is the best game in the series. You need to account for the fact that it was an early Xbox release and they obviously hadn't worked out everything yet hence issues like the texture pop in. Also if you play the PC version a large number of the issues you mention simply don't exist. While the gameplay itself is not as good as ME 2 or even 3, and yes the Mako is ass, the story, branching dialog, sound track, and over all atmosphere of the game make up for it. I cared about what was going down in ME1... I was interested in ME2.... and I felt very meh most of ME3. Fortunately you can basically skip the Mako if you want, and the mechanics of the games combat while worse is still okay and perfectly tolerable.

@legion_ said:

@genocidalkitten said:
@legion_ said:

@genocidalkitten:

I think I made it pretty clear at the beginning of my first post that all of the points I was making were a joke, a parody of your points.

You really didn't, your complaints were mostly just you stating an opinion and not explaining it, and you were a total dick to anyone that stated a different opinion.

I really did, and I was certainly not a dick towards anyone. You're just insulted because I don't like Mass Effect, which is crazy.

This is me insulting you, you argue like a child. I said "You really didn't, your complaints were mostly just you stating an opinion and not explaining it" to which you replied "I really did, no explanation, just you going THIS IS HOW IT IS without at all explaining why you are saying the things you are saying.

And the quote above the current quote tree is a perfect example of you being a dick.

Also, seriously read all of my last post again and you'll understand that my first post was a joke and that I wasn't actually insulting you.

You should read my first post again. I gave a reason for everything I complained about, explaining with several sentences most times.

Of course I'm gonna be a dick to someone who acts like a dick.

"I could write a thoughtful genuine response to all the things you said here but, considering some of your responses that would be a waste of my time, so heres a defense of ME1 with as much thought and care put into it as you put into your post."

That's pretty dickish.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By xyzygy

The Mako was awesome. I don't get why people don't like it. IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE FLOATY. YOU'RE IN SPACE. Use the jetpack right and you will master the Mako.

It's the best ME game. 2 was good but was too much of a Hollywood action flick for it's own good. It is IMO the last great Bioware game.

I actually think this moment is one of the greatest moments in gaming history, period. They perfectly pulled off Sovereign, he was the best villain.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I respectfully disagree, good sir! I still think it's fantastic.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just curious: why are you analyzing a game that has already been iterated upon?

As a place in time mass effect was amazing, where it is now is out of date. RPGs rarely stand the test of time.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@legion_: I'm not going to sit here and tell you you're wrong, or that it isn't as bad as you think. Mostly, that's because I respect you too much.

I did this to myself once, though. There's this movie called Sunshine. I'd seen it a bunch of times before, loved it, loved everything Danny Boyle had directed beforehand and everything Alex Garland had written (and had gone on to write--dude's a legitimate gem).

Anyway. After having loved the movie since its release, I went in with a more critical eye. I don't mean critical in the sense that connotes "fair, logical, skeptical." Just the sense that connotes "negative." Basically, I came away from that screening thinking, Why did I like that movie in the first place? It has so many problems! This character is poorly implemented, the back third is so tonally dissonant, the premise doesn't even make sense, rabble-rabble-rabble!

All I'm saying is, it happens. "It" being, you going back to a thing you'd mythologized or canonized in your mind as being an upstanding totem of quality and thereupon seeing some of the inconsistencies of the narrative or the mechanics of the thing with such grotesque detail that you're to some extent forever suspicious of the thing's assumed excellence.

For what it's worth, I came full circle eventually and found myself loving Sunshine again, despite my one experience with it where I found most of it totally preposterous. Hopefully you'll get there too.

Also, I love the Mako.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"I don't like this game. My opinion is law. Anyone who disagrees with me shall be met with thinly-veiled disdain."

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@genocidalkitten:

1. Boring locations with bad textures. There are two memorable locations in my opinion, and that's Noveria and Virmire. The rest just feels bland. Feros is basically just grey. Especially the side planets are awfully boring.

2. Playing on a console, this is a big problem. Noveria is especially bad in this department.

3. Long load times that also stack. Pretty annoying.

5. It's controls poorly. One example: If you have rotate the camera and then push forward on the stick, instead of turning around to get the nose forwards, the MAKO just starts backing up. Halo is a good example on how this should be handled. Also, it's hella boring to drive in ninety degree angels up mountains on deserted planets.

6. When I shoot, I want to hit where I'm aiming. It's hard to explain, but it just feels so sloppy.

8. Why have all the different loot when there's no reason to use anything but the Master Spectre gear? All the other weapons look stupid. The only armor that looks cool is the N7 armor. Anyway, it just ends up with me selling everything I get, and buy Master Spectre gear for all my dudes and dudettes.

o5ris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By o5ris

I liked me1 the best.

As someone that played on pc and did no optional mako mission most negative points didn't concern me.

The omission of ... essentialy .... loot and medikits and a combat system i prederred on the other hand did taint everything after me1. Add the fact that thanks to regenerating health all combat was boring as shit and the hooks that i loved (being a spectre,exploring the citadel, doing c-sec stuff) got lost to make room for a biger scale and and new misterious organisation.

To be fair i haven't played 1 or 2 since 2 came out and you tend to remeber the positives for games you liked and negatives for ones you didn't ... I can barely remember having to gel all loot over a horrible menue for example.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@legion_ said:

What up duders.

In service of Commander Shepards last outing, I've decided to play through the entire trilogy again. Right now, I'm on the first game. And man, that game is just fucking bad.

There's tons of people who claim it's the best game in the series, and to you I say; that's CRAZY TALK. It's easily the worst. And here's a couple of reasons why:

• Looks bad:
  • Stable frame rate of 12:
  • Longest load times ever:
  • Grueling checkpointing:
  • MAKO:
  • Plays bad:
  • Some awful writing:
  • Busted levelling:
  • Busted inventory and loot:

As you might see from my name and profile picture, I'm a huge fan of the Mass Effect series. I had such good memories from the first game, so it's a shame to see that it only was memory lane playing tricks on me. Make no mistake, this is not a good game. The only reason I keep playing it, is so I can shape my story exactly how I want to. I guess that speaks to the quality of the characters, which is the only redeeming quality of this game. The broad strokes of the story is also good, again thanks to those characters.

I'm left scratching my head, and wonder what the hell people are thinking when they say ME1 is better than both ME2 and ME3. For me, it's easily the worst. I have a feeling that a lot of people who are saying this, haven't played the game in a long ass time. Or maybe they're just hipsters. Who knows?

Playing on a PC alleviates your first four issues. You get no texture pop in, 60FPS, short load times, and quicksaves whenever you like. As that last point eliminates your "worst part of the game", I'd say it's a major improvement over what you played. The writing has its faults but is overall one of the better examples of video game writing in this generation, although the old PC RPGs like Planetscape: Torment still have an edge in my mind, even though it has been years since I played them.

Now, for the points that I agree with: The Mako isn't super great. I didn't go out of my way to do a lot of the optional planet exploring stuff, but on the occasions that I did I quickly realized that my time could be better spent. Once, I even jammed it into the support structure of a building and could do nothing but watch in amusement as it jiggled and vibrated in place....which sadly necessitated a reload as I couldn't get out of it or progress. Once again, quicksaves made that less painful.

The leveling is busted, but I don't agree with your explanation of why. As a Solider, I reached the point that, even on Insanity, I was invincible. Far from not feeling more powerful, I became an unstoppable god-engine that could just walk straight up to any enemy and hold down the fire button until it died, including bosses. Coupled with the broken item system that allowed me to have weapons that could not overheat, all challenge even at the hardest difficulty level was reduced to zero. I'm serious; I don't remember the exact way damage was calculated, but I know that you could, through proper skills and armor upgrades, reduce 1000 points of incoming damage down to 10 or less, allowing you to take direct shots from the final boss without any real danger.

My problem with ME2 and 3 revolves around the fact that the dialog options feel simplified (especially in 3), and the overall plot is worse. It plays better, I'll agree, but it doesn't play so much better than other 3rd person shooters that I feel it overrides the loss of the two defining features of the series. If they would have married the gameplay of 2, with the story and depth of conversation from the original to create the final entry, I would have been more than pleased. As it stands, I still hold the first game to be the best simply due to the way it helped create a universe to explore, rather than the actual act of exploring it.