...it is a sad week for Nintendo.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Mario is a franchise with legs. Nintendo just has to keep on pumping out the quality until people realize they need a Wii U.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@donchipotle said:

@dallas_raines said:

@donchipotle: Did you miss all the "Final Fantasy is still dead" articles? Lightning Returns is selling like hot garbage on a successful platform.

If Final Fantasy is dead, Lightning Returns isn't what did it.

I think people just confuse Final Fantasy XIII being a less popular entry in the franchise with the popularity of the franchise as a whole. A Realm Reborn's current success and the interest in XV at E3 would seem to suggest otherwise. I know I'm getting Lightning Returns this February.

Agreed. The XIII series has a stigma attached to it and many people avoid it, for some reason or another. XIV is doing excellent and is apparently a very good game, and XV looks badass. I don't think Final Fantasy is dead.

I for one also cannot wait to get my hands on Lightning Returns.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By Barrock

I was actually just contemplating picking up the Zelda Wii U for $299.

Should I not do that?

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#104  Edited By yukoasho

@masterpaperlink said:

Nintendo games rank among the best in the industry but 5-6 per console generation isn't enough to warrant an early system purchase. Nintendo jumped the shark with the wii and burned a lot of their fanbase, they should have leaned into the mainstream instead of confusing everyone.

The problem with leaning into the mainstream (or rather casual, since the Oprah crowd isn't necessarily the mainstream for big-budget entertainment products), is that Nintendo got killed by dirt cheap (and eventually free) iOS and Android apps that people could dink about with. The problem with going after fads is that you're going to be eventually supplanted the the next one. You can see it in the abrupt end of the Wii's roller coaster success (2010 was when it stopped being the must-have status symbol of choice for the shallow suburbanite, around the same time we started seeing smartphones enter the mainstream). Once the Wii stopped being the choice of soccer moms, Nintendo needed to return to the same core gamers who were burned by the king of shovel-ware, and I don't know if you've noticed, but gamers tend to hold grudges, for better or worse. While the true believers who only need more Mario and Zelda re-hashes to be sated will always be there, the rest of the gamer community are tired of them, of buying hardware for only the five or six games we get from them that rekindle our nostalgia. The fact that Wii owners had to fucking beg for three of the most critically acclaimed games the system had during a huge software drought in the year-long lead-up to the Wii U says something about the outright contempt Nintendo had for the gamer demographic during this generation.

The other issue with the Wii is that it burned third parties. The few great third party games, your Madworlds and Zach and Wikis, that couldn't be ported to the more gamer-oriented platforms and thus constituted enormous risks, sat on the shelves as hilarious, money-draining failures. It's often been said that people buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo software, and that got re-affirmed this generation. Between the failures of third parties who dared to try and Nintendo's limited software output, the system was relegated to dumping ground for every fly-by-night "publisher" putting out shovel-ware like Ninjabread Man. The biggest problem with software on the system, of course, was that most people only bought it for the pack-in, Wii Sports. It was truly an industry first - a system that sold like gangbusters but was impossible to sell games for. Fanboys can argue all they want, but the pathetic 3rd party support for Wii U is the closest thing we have ever seen in this industry to a vote of no confidence. Seriously, even Dreamcast had better software support from 3rd parties, at a time when Sega was floundering and everyone was still pissed at Bernie Stolar. That says something about Nintendo's position.

Can Nintendo reverse the trend? With regard to third party support, I don't think so. Third parties are increasingly tired of investing in games (both exclusive and non) for the platform and not seeing desired returns. Combined with long-seated bitterness over Nintendo's tyrannical rule of the industry during the NES and SNES era, and the ship with third parties has sailed, at least for the forseeable future.

With gamers? I'm not entirely sure it's impossible. The big thing Nintendo needs to do is stop with the gimmicks. If GamePad and motion control add something substantive to a game, fine, but don't throw it in just to throw it in. I can't speak for anyone else, but I found myself fighting the controls in Super Mario Galaxy, because there was so much that was assigned to waggle that would have been better off on buttons and there was no Classic Controller support, and ended up giving up on it. Gimmicks don't sell games, and they don't make games enjoyable. Gameplay does.

Secondly, they need to realize that they will never get third party support on par with the PS4 and Xbone, and fill in the gaps in their software library accordingly. Understandably, they don't want to jeapordize their dominant position in the 6-12 demographic by putting shooters and other more mature games out, but that's easily solved by taking the Disney route. For those of you who don't know, Disney releases darker, more mature films and shows under the dummy label Touchstone Pictures, and uses their recently acquired ABC to put more mature content on TV, such as Victoria's Secret pagent. Nintendo could stand to invest in a few dummy labels as well to fill the void left by the departure of 3rd parties. Whether by this, getting indie games out on retail, or other means, however, Nintendo has to fill in the cavernous gaps between their Mario and Zelda titles that have come to define their hardware as much as those games themselves. That is mission critical; there can be no way to understate it. They need to give up on third parties, at least in the short-to-medium term, and invest heavily in expanding their first party development, especially for games not traditionally associated with Nintendo.

Nintendo will never truly die off, of course. As bleak and pathetic as the Wii U looks, it's more than made up for by the 3DS' continued worldwide domination of the handheld space and the Japanese studio support that brings. However, if Nintendo doesn't reverse its home console fortunes, they'll forever be pigeonholed outside Japan in the role they are now - the console you buy for kids until they're old enough to graduate to the other boxes.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@tourgen said:

It might be a highly rated Mario game but it's still a Mario game. Again. I think it's a case of Nintendo getting more than a little stale.

I guess I'll never understand this, because for me, Nintendo's always the breath of fresh air after playing so many other games that are all trying to cater to the same "hardcore" audience. So many of those experiences are slowly merging into the same mass, while Nintendo's just over there doing their own thing -- this uncynical swash of cheery imagination you just can't get anywhere else.

You should play more indie games.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barrock said:

Should I not do that?

No. The Zelda Wii U doesn't have the game on disc, but only an online code. Considering Wii U eShop games are bound to individual hardware instead of a unified account, even die-hard digital mavens would be stupid to get Nintendo games that way. You're better off getting the New Super Mario/Luigi U bundle with both games on the same disc, then buying Zelda HD separately.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Why am i to blame ? WTF

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why am i to blame ? WTF

You didn't love Nintendo enough! You need to run out to the store now and buy 15 Wii U. NYOW!

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yukoasho said:

@barrock said:

Should I not do that?

No. The Zelda Wii U doesn't have the game on disc, but only an online code. Considering Wii U eShop games are bound to individual hardware instead of a unified account, even die-hard digital mavens would be stupid to get Nintendo games that way. You're better off getting the New Super Mario/Luigi U bundle with both games on the same disc, then buying Zelda HD separately.

Hmmm that is concerning. My girlfriend is a big Zelda fan so I was going to get her that version for Christmas. It's quite stupid it doesn't come with a disc though.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welp, I won't buy a Wii U anytime in the next year, but I think Mario 3D World might push me into eventually getting one when it's a lowered price.

That's not really saying much, but it's better than "not buying it ever."

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wjb said:

Welp, I won't buy a Wii U anytime in the next year, but I think Mario 3D World might push me into eventually getting one when it's a lowered price.

That's not really saying much, but it's better than "not buying it ever."

Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario U, New Super Luigi U (it's only on one disc with the bundle IIRC), Rayman Legends (let's be honest, it's a Wii U game), those are all great games, and there's dudes who like ZombiU as well. Not only that, but Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. are coming out next year, along with a possible new Zelda. If you're into Mario and possibly Zelda, you're already covered.

The only real question is whether you're sated buying hardware for only the mascots and the VERY occasional surprise from Ubi.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#112  Edited By Humanity

Some people just don't want to play Mario games anymore. That's not to say playing Final Fantasy games is a better alternative, but no matter how cute and whimsical I'm just over Mario in every way imaginable. Jumping on goombas and going down tubes, whether it be 2D, 3D, isometric or whatever, is basically playing Call of Duty every year with a new campaign.

Avatar image for roarimadinosaur
RoarImaDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Put out Zelda for the Wii U and I will buy one this week or get Nasume to do another Harvest moon.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barrock said:

@yukoasho said:

@barrock said:

Should I not do that?

Hmmm that is concerning. My girlfriend is a big Zelda fan so I was going to get her that version for Christmas. It's quite stupid it doesn't come with a disc though.

Yeah, that shocked the piss out of me too, especially with the big deal they were making about the Hylian markings all over the pad and console. Seriously, they were too cheap for a disc?

For real though, get her the Mario bundle and the game separately. You'll not only have a more permanent version of Wind Waker HD, but you'll be giving her three of the best games the platform has instead of just one.

Get a pro controller too, as Wind Waker HD fully supports it should she wish to play it like the Cube one.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Don't worry about it dude. Take it from Platinum:

"Buy the game and worry about the sales never. The fun you have will stay the same.

I get wanting to root for a winner, but the minute that crazy sales makes a game more fun is the minute that it becomes something worth worrying about as a gamer."

- PlatinumGamesJP

The Wii U has been my main console this year. I have had a blast with the games I have been playing and have a massive backlog of games I still want to pick up for it. If you are enjoying the system and the games then don't worry about the sales.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@asurastrike: Indies are a delightful exception to this argument, to be sure. Though even they tend to be grim and self-serious most of the time, leaving Nintendo as one of the only providers of unabated good feels. Which is nice to have now and again.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Super Mario 3D World is so good.

ryanwhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By ryanwhom

Mario Kart is the system seller not Mario 3d platforming and its been that way for a while. Mario Kart 7 is one of the biggest selling games of all time trumped only by the original mario, tetris, and the Wii packin. Every time something Nintendo does falls a little short relative to previous successes you dummies wanna pack it in, do me a favor and stay out of the stock market you'd have lost everything several times by now. Like if Mario kart 8 doesn't sell as much as Mario Kart 7 but still manages to be the 5th highest selling game of all time, we're going to see this stupid rant again.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When they make a " new " Mario game for Wii U, I'll go out and get it day one (assuming I like what I see). 3D World looks fun, and I will eventually buy it, but meh, I feel like I already played it on 3DS. It's kinda giving me the New Super Mario Bros vibe.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yukoasho said:

@barrock said:

@yukoasho said:

@barrock said:

Should I not do that?

Yeah, that shocked the piss out of me too, especially with the big deal they were making about the Hylian markings all over the pad and console. Seriously, they were too cheap for a disc?

For real though, get her the Mario bundle and the game separately. You'll not only have a more permanent version of Wind Waker HD, but you'll be giving her three of the best games the platform has instead of just one.

Get a pro controller too, as Wind Waker HD fully supports it should she wish to play it like the Cube one.

System, pro controller, Wind Waker HD, and Super Mario. Anything else?

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barrock said:

@yukoasho said:

@barrock said:

@yukoasho said:

@barrock said:

Should I not do that?

Pikmin

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please stop encouraging Square to make bad sequels.

As for Nintendo, I want to have sweet sex with my 3DS, and if I didn't need to save for a new PC I would absolutely buy a Wii U over a PS4 or XBone.

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did my part. Picked up a WiiU a few months back and got 3D World when it came out. I gotta lot of love for nintendo. The system that gets the most play right now is my 3DS. Those numbers are surprising. I have read lots of posts from people like myself that bought a WiiU instead of the XboxOne or PS4. I have not owned a Wii in a few years so Im not one to complain about not enough games. I got a ton of play out of some Wii games I missed out on like Mario Galaxy 2, Mario Kart and the numerous downloadable classic console games. Its also nice that most of the games I want to play can be found at a nice discount in the used section.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@yukoasho said:

@barrock said:

@yukoasho said:

@barrock said:

Should I not do that?

It's par for the course on a lot of Nintendo's special hardware bundles these days, even on 3DS. They come packed with digital versions rather than physical.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#125  Edited By Jeust

@superkenon said:

@jeust: I'd be all for Nintendo trying their hand at new franchises, or taking their existing characters to drastically new situations. But until that happens, I can't really complain when they're still being more creative than most of the other big publishers. I suppose that has more to do with my preferences towards lighthearted adventure than anything, but hey. They're scratching an itch that no one else does.

Mario's really the only one that's treaded the same ground too often, though. Their "3D" series is still exploring a lot of great ideas, but they definitely made one or two "New Super" games too many, I'd say. But as far as any other one of their franchises go... they're way too few and far between to be at the point of oversaturation. At least for me. Maybe I'm an easy lay.

I agree with you. I think I might be also biased due to my tastes. I can't complain about a good horror franchise like Resident Evil or Silent Hill and will gooble most of the games released with glee, and they have been a lot of games, and not that different from each other.

Although concerning Nintendo, I think there have a few Zeldas too, between original titles and remakes.

But probably what matters most, and the main reason people, and I, complain, it isn't about the quantity of games, but about the quantity of games we didn't like to begin with. ahah

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chop said:

@barrock said:

@yukoasho said:

@barrock said:

@yukoasho said:

@barrock said:

Should I not do that?

Pikmin

The Wonderful 101.

ryanwhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@hailinel: .....

3ds Will not go on for 5 more years. Right? what comes after that? Mobile and tablets are a very serious competitor in this sector if you want it or not. Who knows if we will even see a new handheld generation. We certainly won't from Sony. And than whats left beside the console market? With the Wii U gone in 2-3 years more like 2 what does Nintendo has left without the handheld market?

The 3DS will not save Nintendo. It is their last base they have. But ok I give up. Lets talk again in March when Iwata resigns because of these bad results. I am out and let you guys dream with ignoring their financial reports at all.

Son they should call you kirby cus you're living in a dreamworld. Please someone bump this in March and allow darji to reschedule his Nintendopocalypse

kpaadet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

Some people just don't want to play Mario games anymore. That's not to say playing Final Fantasy games is a better alternative, but no matter how cute and whimsical I'm just over Mario in every way imaginable. Jumping on goombas and going down tubes, whether it be 2D, 3D, isometric or whatever, is basically playing Call of Duty every year with a new campaign.

This is why I have not bought a Nintendo console since the N64, Mario and Zelda are quality games but no longer system sellers for me, though I admit being somewhat hypocritical as I quite enjoy my 3DS.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't remember coming to gamefaqs...

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By iceman228433

I am sorry as much as I tried to care about that new Mario that fact is every time I saw it played it did not look like anything all the special. I did buy the Zelda game.

Avatar image for dancinginfernal
dancinginfernal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By dancinginfernal

@ryanwhom said:

Pointing to Japanese sales figures and doomsaying is pretty stupid. Dynasty Warriors games regularly outsell american made blockbusters over there. Japan is only indicative of Japan, its a much bigger market now. But then this is the same crowd who go "see the xbone sold a million worldwide day one and the PS4 sold a million in just one country they are neck and neck!"

Idiots do their thang see what they wanna

Well said, it seems logic and reason appeared rather quickly in this thread. I would say stop the thread right here given that this argument keeps popping up again and again, but it would be such a shame to let these totally worthwhile and nonlinear discussions come to an end so soon, would it not?

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

There's a lot of chatter here so im just going to try and talk about everything in my point of view.

Games listed from the first year of the last gen, ok there are a few OK games in there but for the most part...i really did not remember them. AC? That game had a lot of great ideas. But it was not a good game. Ubisofts game for the Wii U, i will remember for a long long time. And want to play it every now and then. Zombi U is a fantastic game.

Will the Wii U ever have the 3rd party support that the other systems have? No. That is part of the point, no one buys the system why support it? They did have a good number of games on there over the past year though. I mean all of the big (cross system) games from the last year and a half are on the system. In some cases are better then the other systems. But they are looked over, Batman AC and AA, AC 3 and 4, Splintercell, COD, they are all there.

As for games i feel that are worth playing on the Wii U? Zombi U, Mario World, Zelda HD, Pikman, Wonderful 101, Rayman (It is a wii u game), Batman Armored Edition (really was a great version of that game oddly enough), Wii Party U (say what you want, but it is very fun. With a group in your house, there is no other company that makes games as fun as Nintendo), Wii Fit U (yes...for some reason i enjoy it), Wii Sports Club (Online Wii Sports, that works fantastic), Little Inferno (I sadly did not complete it till last week such a great game, yes you can get it on steam and what not but still...AWESOME!!), Lego City...that's all i have played. Have heard good things about Sonic Lost World but no idea.

This is not me rooting for one system to be number one or anything. I want them all to do well. But I do feel that the Wii U is being shoved aside unfairly, as it does have good games. And is worth the investment. If people invest in it...if not...then yeah it will go away. That is what i am sad about. Not the numbers. But that a system that i feel should be doing better then it is.

I truly understand that some people feel wore down by the Nintendo games. Zelda and Mario being redone as much as they have. But remember we also did that. We jumped on Nintendo everytime they did something way out of the norm. WW? Trashed on by near everyone back then. MM? Again...trashed on. But then again...the things they have done with the two best games out this month, are quite cool. Zelda LbW is both new and old. Both of them are the best parts of Zelda. Mario 3d world, you have new stuff thrown at you constantly. So yes, it is a platformer most Mario games, but to call it a rehash is harsh.

Digital games. Ok...yeah having them system locked is just dumb. But it works. And Nintendo is is doing fantastic with digital games. I do not have the One or Ps4 yet, but I truly hope they follow the Day one digital games for all games. Screw Disks. I hate them and want them to go away!!

I just want Nintendos efforts to be noticed by more people. They have always been in there own world. Just doing what they do. But they are getting better with the online stuff, there recent addition of making funds from wii u and 3ds one system is a start. Maybe they will get to account based games. And the way they are treating the Nintendo ID, i would not be to surprised if they do at some point hit that mark. And it will be in Nintendo Fashion....they will prob make it enjoyable to download games form your account with some cute animation.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

My thought when I read this story was "Oh man, poor FF13-3." That game launched on a system that has an install base several magnitudes greater than the Wii U, and yet Mario sold nearly as much. I believe Lightning Returns sold half of what 13-2 did in its opening week, which itself was already considered a disappointment, being less than half of what 13 sold.

As far as the Mario sales numbers go, Nintendo games have famously long tails, and I expect that this will do well for them in the long run.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@darji I really wonder why you hate Nintendo and Microsoft so much. Every thread about either of them, you seem to attempt to stir up console wars nonsense. Please stop.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Darji

@mariachimacabre said:

@darji I really wonder why you hate Nintendo and Microsoft so much. Every thread about either of them, you seem to attempt to stir up console wars nonsense. Please stop.

Why should I hate these? My posts in here were strictly financial and technical since I do not like Nintendo games and therefore will not talk about them at all. I will never argue about the quality of Nintendo games. IF you like them go for it. This has nothing to do with console wars at all. Just because someone disagrees with someone does not mean he is a fanboy or hate the other stuff. Same goes for the Microsoft stuff. If I do not like something like the monetization in Forza for example I will talk about it.

I think the problem right now is that Sony does not do much wrong these days and If they do like with the MP3 and Media server support for example they react pretty fast and talk to people about these issues. When was the last time Nintendo did this? So yeah maybe I am not as harsh with them and maybe overlook one or two things but so far there is really nothing I really have to complain about. Same goes for their games philosophy and the games announced for it so far with one of them being Yakuza Ishin as my most wanted title which will be released in near future. But I rarely talk about the quality of games in these kind of topics since this is a taste thing and everyone should decide for themselves.

If Microsoft and Nintendo do something right or good in my opinion I will also talk and praise that as well. For example: I think Zoo tycoon is a fantastic game and the best launch game of these 2 consoles. Of course in my opinion.

As for the on topic: I stand not alone with this opinion as well. lets say analyst investors and so on think the same. Pachter. Yeah I know he has no clue about games but he is still a very well paid analyst and that is for a reason. Heshares the same opinion on the financial side for example. This has nothing to do with console wars.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Hailinel

@darji: I thought you were leaving this thread alone until March.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#137  Edited By Video_Game_King

@ryanwhom said:

Mario Kart is the system seller not Mario 3d platforming and its been that way for a while. Mario Kart 7 is one of the biggest selling games of all time

It's only the second best selling 3DS game in that link. After Super Mario 3D Land.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Darji

@video_game_king said:

@ryanwhom said:

Mario Kart is the system seller not Mario 3d platforming and its been that way for a while. Mario Kart 7 is one of the biggest selling games of all time

It's only the second best selling 3DS game in that link. After Super Mario 3D Land.

Will it really sell systems? Or did it sell that well because of the high Wii install base? I know, I know VGChartz but it is getting late here so excuse this bad source.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/250157/mario-kart-a-sales-history/

So the question is: What will happen with a Mario Kart on a system with a 5 million User base?

ryanwhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By ryanwhom

@ryanwhom said:

Mario 3d Land is pseudo 2d mostly and someone else pointed out, and that list supports it, the sidescrollers tend to do gangbusters more than the pure 3d stuff like this new game or Galaxy. The larger point still stands that Mario could be going downhill but its off mount everest, its still way above most things sales wise. And its kind of ridiculous to look at how this one game did in Japan and jump to the conclusions being jumped to.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryanwhom said:

And its kind of ridiculous to look at how this one game did in Japan and jump to the conclusions being jumped to.

At least we can agree on that. It's also worth pointing out that Japan really loves JRPGs, and that might've got lost in translation at some point in this thread. If, on the other hand, Mario lost in sales to Japanese sales of the latest COD game (which I'm guessing isn't terribly popular in Japan)....

ryanwhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: They'll make a Mario Kart WiiU bundle and people will buy that, just like Mario Kart DS sold a ton of DSs in its bundle and Mario Kart Wii sold a ton of Wiis in its bundle. My whole point was people will buy the console to play the next kart game regardless of whatever fantasy you have about these guys failing. And this game not selling a bunch of WiiUs isnt a huge surprise and doesnt spell disaster because 3d Mario games arent what they sell consoles with.

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryanwhom said:

@video_game_king said:

@ryanwhom said:

Mario 3d Land is pseudo 2d mostly and someone else pointed out, and that list supports it, the sidescrollers tend to do gangbusters more than the pure 3d stuff like this new game or Galaxy. The larger point still stands that Mario could be going downhill but its off mount everest, its still way above most things sales wise. And its kind of ridiculous to look at how this one game did in Japan and jump to the conclusions being jumped to.

Mario 3D Land is in no way psuedo-2D. A large majority of that game is 3D platforming.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

everyone is talking everything is happening so much

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Darji

@video_game_king said:

@ryanwhom said:

And its kind of ridiculous to look at how this one game did in Japan and jump to the conclusions being jumped to.

At least we can agree on that. It's also worth pointing out that Japan really loves JRPGs, and that might've got lost in translation at some point in this thread. If, on the other hand, Mario lost in sales to Japanese sales of the latest COD game (which I'm guessing isn't terribly popular in Japan)....

[PS3] Call of Duty: Ghosts - Subtitled Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2013.11.14} (¥7.980) - 190.631 / NEW

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=719451

Mario week: [PS3] Call of Duty: Ghosts - Subtitled Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2013.11.14} (¥7.980) - 29.252 / 219.883 (-85%)

COD is selling reasonable well in Japan for years now. And this was the subtitled version. With a Japanese Voice version being released on December 14th.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cat Suit

No Caption Provided

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Really I just want another Metroid. No hand-holding, decent level of difficulty, and a cool space base or asteroid to explore.

Give me that, Boyonetta 2, and Wonderful 101 and that's probably enough for me to think about the WiiU seriously.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Video_Game_King

@tourgen said:

Give me that, Boyonetta 2, and Wonderful 101 and that's probably enough for me to think about the WiiU seriously.

You anger Kenji.
You anger Kenji.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Darji

@ryanwhom said:

@darji: They'll make a Mario Kart WiiU bundle and people will buy that, just like Mario Kart DS sold a ton of DSs in its bundle and Mario Kart Wii sold a ton of Wiis in its bundle. My whole point was people will buy the console to play the next kart game regardless of whatever fantasy you have about these guys failing. And this game not selling a bunch of WiiUs isnt a huge surprise and doesnt spell disaster because 3d Mario games arent what they sell consoles with.

We will see about that. My prediction is that it won't sell many systems. But if it does not sell, can we then official say the Wii U is done for? If so I will book mark this and remind you after the release.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In two years when they release a 3D Pokemon game on the WiiU all of a sudden it'll sell a whole shit ton of consoles.

Because I'd buy it. And they know that.

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@darji said:

@ryanwhom said:

We will see about that. My prediction is that it won't sell many systems. But if it does not sell, can we then official say the Wii U is done for? If so I will book mark this and remind you after the release.

It's borderline disturbing how excited you seem to be to see Nintendo fail. Seriously.