• 156 results
austin_walker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By austin_walker

Earlier this week, I'd sort of written off today's Nintendo Direct.

I was curious to see what these corporate communiques might look like in the post-Iwata era (turns out that it looks like Reggie Fils-Aime and Bill Trinen), but I didn't anticipate much of anything. I expected a run down of recent releases and a few upcoming games and maybe some surprise DLC. In reality, well, I wasn't exactly wrong in terms of what type of stuff they'd show off, but I was definitely wrong about the quantity.

Today's Nintendo Direct was packed with stuff. In fact, it felt a little... not desperate, but definitely determined to show us that there is still a lot of life left in the Wii U and 3DS. And no, there was no news on the company's mobile initiatives nor on the NX. It's honestly too much to catalog fully, so here are some highlights.

Zelda Stuff: "She looks familiar... doesn't she?"

Everyone's favorite version of Link!
Everyone's favorite version of Link!

Twilight Princess HD + Wolf Link Amiibo (Wii U, March 4, 2016): I wasn't the biggest fan of Twilight Princess when it came out. Coming off of Wind Waker, which had made such a novel (and pretty) shift in tone and visual design, Twilight Princess just didn't grab me. Maybe this HD remake will have a better chance, but I can't help but think how much I'm more interested in whatever the next new Zelda title will be.

Hyrule Warriors Legends (3DS, March 25, 2016): This is the 3DS re-release of Hyrule Warriors is bringing in some new characters, like Skullkid from Majora's Mask, King of Hyrule from Wind Waker, and... Linkle? Who seems to a female version of Link? Linkle initially appeared in an art book for Hyrule Warriors, so maybe her appearance isn't a complete surprise. Either way, she has a dope cloak and pretty good hair and some crossbows. There was definitely something careful, almost tentative, about the way they announced her. It definitely feels like they're testing the water with her, but after years of fans asking for a female variant on Link, I'm definitely hyped to see how this gets implemented.

Tri-Force Heroes is also getting free map and costume DLC on December 2. I haven't had a chance to play this yet, so let me know if this seemed exciting to any of you!

Pokemon News: Only the Angstiest of Pokemon

Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon (November 20, 3DS) - You'll be able to play as any one of 20 Pokemon (and meet all 700+ other Pokemon) in the latest edition of this long running series. I'm a huge fan of Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer, but the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games never really clicked for me.

No Caption Provided

Pokemon Picross (Early December, 3DS): Another "Free to Start" Nintendo game. Yes, it's Picross but with Pokemon. The twist is that the the Pokemon that you reveal provide special abilities to help you clear puzzles and reveal hidden information.

Pokken Tournament: This Pokemon fighting game is being developed by a partnership between the Pokemon Company and Bandai-Namco. It's definitely weird seeing Pokemon stringing combos together. It's even weirder seeing a super angsty "Shadow Mewtwo" being possessed by an anime lady? I think? I think that's what was happening? I'm not... really sure.

Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow (February 27, 3DS eShop): Nintendo is re-releasing the first generation Pokemon games on the 3DS eShop early next year, and they're letting players use the 3DS local wireless to connect, battle, and trade Pokemon.

Game Updates: Mario Maker, Splatoon, Smash Bros.

Super Mario Maker: Bill Trinen reminded viewers of the recent game updates, but the real story here is that Nintendo plans to roll out a new level browser website in December. The new "level portal" was described as having "more robust" search options, including being able to sort by level tags. While I'd love for this new level search to be in game, players will only be able to access it via a web browser. Sort of a bummer, but it's such a necessary improvement that I'll deal with it.

Splatoon: Nintendo announced that we're going to keep seeing new content for Splatoon through January, including new stages and equipment. Both of the levels they debuted (Museum d'Alfonsio and Mahi-Mahi Resort) look like complex levels built for high-skill players. Is Splatoon eSports? I... I think Splatoon is eSports.

Sure!
Sure!

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS: Final Fantasy VII'sCloud Strife is joining Super Smash Bros on Wii U and 3DS, and he's bringing a Midgar stage with him. Cloud has Omnislash, which is really all he needs, right? The new stage looks pretty wild--throughout the fight, FFVII summons show up to wreck shop. Nintendo didn't give a date, but did say that there would be a Smash Bros. Broadcast in December, so I'm guessing we'll see more there.

A Few More Things

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash (November 20, Wii U): I literally forgot that this game was coming out, but it looks pretty good? There's a jump shot now that you can use to intercept incoming shots. Ultra smashes are like super jump shots which feel like super shots from mario super strikers or super smash attacks from SSM. Also there's mega mushrooms I guess. They spent some time on I'm hopeful that this has a better career/campaign mode than last year's Mario Golf World Tour.

Xenoblade Chronicles X(December 8, Wii U): On one hand, it's another hundred-hour long open-world RPG in a year filled with them. On the other, it has customizable mechs in it. So. You know, I'm excited to check it out. The stranger part of this announcement is that there are "four free high-speed data loading packs" now available for players buying physical copies of the game. It's basically a pre-load for a physical game, which... seems weird to me. I'm not opposed to it, just a little surprised. Are the on-disc loading times so rotten that they want people to manually cache parts of it to a hard drive? Guess we'll find out pretty soon.

Star Fox Zero (April 22, Wii U): I just don't know about this one. I've been cautiously optimistic about this new Starfox ever since it was announced, but this trailer really doubled down on the stuff that has people worried. It provided an overview of the game's many different vehicles, but I've basically heard nothing but mixed things about everything except the Arwing mode. And then this trailer emphasized the importance of keeping an eye on both the Wii U gamepad and the tv screen, which is the other design choice I've seen criticized by people who've played the game. So... I don't know. Oh, also, also: They described Star Fox as a group of mercenaries and I somehow never really understood that. What do you think their rates are like? Could Andross just buy them out? He should look into that.

There was even more stuff on show in the full Nintendo Direct, so make sure to check it out for yourself if you're interested on the latest from games like Animal Crossing: amiibo festival and Fire Emblem Fates. Oh, also Mother 3 is coming to the Wii U Virtual Console... but that was only mentioned on the Japanese version of this event.

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah, why not?

blacks329

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Female Link? Awesome! The name Linkle just seems ridiculous.

SlackerMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally all of Nintendo's characters can get back at Cloud for abandoning them during the N64 days.

bururian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DRAGON QUEST 7 & 8

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

They are gearing up to push that FF7 remake then if the Smash bros broadcast is in December. as thats when we're gonna be hearing more news about the remake.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wow i can't believe they announced the banning of dan ryckert from mario maker so publicly

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By hassun

Kind of odd to put Cloud in Smash considering how FFVII was the game which ended Final Fantasy's run on Nintendo consoles.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of this sounds fantastic...now to just get Mother 3 on the English store. Oh and I hope this HD edition is based off of the GameCube version of Twilight Princess. Otherwise I'll pass.

Homelessbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HOT Shiren the Wanderer callout hidden in the newspost. A+ material.

The real question, though, is did Austin beat Fei's Final Problem?

Avatar image for infinite_zero00
infinite_zero00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By infinite_zero00

two things running through my head after watching it.

1) It seemed like Reggie stressed hardcore that the next Zelda IS A WII U GAME. I would still bet on a dual release, but the amount of times he said Wii U in the sentence attached to that game was like, "DON'T WORRY ITS STILL ON OUR CURRENT PLATFORM, INTERNET!!!" edit:I guess it wasn't THAT many times but he did stress its still "Zelda for Wii U"

2) How the heck did Nintendo get Cloud? I know S-E is probably thrilled to get some marketing out for themselves, but geez, I would have thought they would put a generic Black Mage or Warrior into Smash. Maybe even someone from Dragon Quest. Cloud seems like a REALLY good get.

Great Direct. More like this please, Nintendo!

Malarkain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrickklepek: I for one am proud of Nintendo for taking such a firm stance against history's greatest monster.

Demonsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

You forgot to mention the long over due Dragon Quest announcements! I have been waiting many years for this!

Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past (English version coming to 3DS in early summer 2016)

Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King (English version coming to 3DS in 2016)

Xevabis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Xevabis
Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Meh. It's pretty much the Mario Maker machine until Zelda comes out.

sweetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sweetz

I was really hoping for a Wii U price drop, it's kind of crazy that's not happening, but Nintendo be Nintendo I guess.

I want one just for Bayonetta, Wind Waker, and a legal means to play some old SNES games. I can't justify spending $350 (including price for requisite pro controller) for that.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man everytime I see something new for fire emblem fates it makes me so excited that I replay awakening. Better get my 3ds out again. February can't come fast enough.

Avatar image for infinite_zero00
infinite_zero00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blacks329: I heard her name as "Lingle" which if read in kana, would be closer to "lingeru" and leads me to think in Japanese its a portmanteau of link and girl, which "Lingirl" would be a little more....I dunno, on the nose in my opinion. Lingle or Linkle, its a bad name in English in my opinion. They may as well put Lonk in it next.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Relkin

It's great to see them supporting stuff post-release like they've been doing. Can't say I'm too excited about most of those games, but a new Mario Tennis? Sign me up.

EDIT: Alright I just watched the trailer for Cloud in Smash Bros. That's looking pretty fucking great.

Also, Twilight Princess is the best Zelda game.

Pierre42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone find it hilarious that Cloud made it into Smash Brothers before he made it into Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale?

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The footage of Twilight Princess HD just reminded me of how brown and ugly that game is. The HD version looks about the same as the game looks on Dolphin. At least I hope they've done something to the terrible intro of the game. TP has some of the best dungeon design in the series, but looking at it just made Wind Waker stand out even more for me visually.

Benmo316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Benmo316

I was very excited and surprised by today's Nintendo Direct. For Twilight Princess HD I better be able to use a Pro Controller, otherwise fart off, Nintendo. And the data loading packs for Xenoblade Chronicles X is an interesting and welcomed idea. Now I just have to buy an external hard drive for my Wii U since Fatal Frame just took up all my space on the hard drive.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Nintendo is fucking bringing it!

Eribuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Are the on-disc loading times so rotten that they want people to manually cache parts of it to a hard drive? Guess we'll find out pretty soon.

From people who have played the Japanese disc version or the review disc of Xenoblade Chronicles X, the load times and asset streaming are okay. The packs seem to be a quality-of-life improvement for those who have extra storage. Judging from video, it takes some time for grass and detailed textures to load from the disc version. If that proves bothersome, the data packs should help alleviate that.

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash (November 20, Wii U): I literally forgot that this game was coming out, but it looks pretty good?

The word from previews is that the game is severely lacking in content and good ideas. While the tennis action is fine, the mega mushroom stuff aren't a fun addition. While there are multiple court surfaces, it is just that one stadium that you will be playing in. The gist I was getting is that Ultra Smash is a hollow shell of a tennis game that is being sold for $49.99.

This was a pretty good Direct for me. RPGs, bombastic Smash addition, and new stuff for Splatoon and Super Mario Maker. I had feared for the mediocre disappointment that most Directs tend to be. My fears have been unfounded.

Saccharengine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@austin_walker Star Fox's rates are 64 space bucks per ship shot down, large ships can be worth between 5-10 ships depending on how fast the team takes them out, bonus credits are awarded to Star Fox when they take out multiple ships at once! source: invoice from General Pepper Star Fox 64

AlmightyBoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NoA must not be allowed to release Xenoblade on the VC because of their deal with Gamestop

computerandy9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm stoked we got the announcement of the Bravely Second deluxe edition. Definitely gonna be pre-ordering that. Looks like the quality of the figure is better than the one that came with Bravely Default which is good because that figure was really bad quality.
EU and NA directs seemed very similar but the Japanese direct did have a lot of different stuff that I'm very jealous about. Mainly FE X SMT.

Weird How NA didn't get any info on Bravely Second and we (EU) did. But I suppose they got a delayed release of the first one too. Unlucky for those guys :P

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

@dan_citi:

All the imagery they showed had Link left handed and the world not inverted, so it's very likely the Gamecube version. Unless they flipped everything again?

I just really hope they don't force Wii controls with it. They were bad in Twilight Princess Wii, and weren't that much better in Skyward Sword.

Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@dan_citi said:

All of this sounds fantastic...now to just get Mother 3 on the English store. Oh and I hope this HD edition is based off of the GameCube version of Twilight Princess. Otherwise I'll pass.

Looking at some of those cutscenes, it looks like the GC map.

JoshtheValiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

l3illyl3ob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely no mention of the 3DS DQ7 and 8 remakes coming to the US? That's huge news for RPG fans!

TMPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one is asking the most important question: Can any of the Animal Crossing characters die in this desert island mode?

Error52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At some point they should just add Shrek, Hatsune Miku, Chirno, Goku and turn into M.U.G.E.N.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#36 riostarwind  Moderator

I can't quite put my finger on why I'm interested in picking up Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival but I still kinda want to get it. I also skipped over Twilight Princess so this could be a good reason to finally check it out. At least game lineup wise the 3DS was on fire with this direct. Rolling into next year it looks like the 3DS will be a RPG players paradise. Wii U had plenty of game related updates but that side seemed a little sparse.

Giga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Giga

This was a pretty solid Direct. Arguably more impressive than their E3 offerings. I'm really interested to see what Twilight Princess HD brings to the table in terms of gameplay changes. Wind Waker HD implemented some neat changes with regards to the Swift Sail and the Triforce quest rework, plus the gamepad allowed for gyro aiming and a more accessible inventory. Twilight Princess could stand to gain from some tweaks to the wolf mechanic (at least make transforming and warping quicker). Also, I really want that Midna amiibo.

The Mario Maker level browser is a welcome addition. Odd that it's not accessible from in the game itself, but at least the levels you find are made readily available in-game once you mark them to play later.

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like smash bro's gonna get some money out of me once again for another DLC character. I thought I could resist!

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't want to buy a wii u just to play mario maker, especially with the nintendo nx on the horizon... but on another level, I want to. Damn it.

Seeric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

How the heck did Nintendo get Cloud? I know S-E is probably thrilled to get some marketing out for themselves, but geez, I would have thought they would put a generic Black Mage or Warrior into Smash. Maybe even someone from Dragon Quest. Cloud seems like a REALLY good get.

I think the timing makes sense considering the upcoming full remake of FF7. Putting Cloud in Smash Bros. is a good way to stir up fan nostalgia and to introduce the character to a generation who did not grow up with FF7; Smash Bros. helps to promote the remake and Cloud in turn helps to further promote Nintendo, which can be especially useful if Nintendo gets the remake, spinoffs, and/or just Final Fantasy products in general on the NX (or the current generation).

Basically, Cloud is in Smash Bros. because at this particular point in time his presence there is beneficial to Square in general and is almost certainly beneficial to Nintendo's future plans in some way while providing at least a very minor current benefit.

Dornath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Dornath

So... is Splatoon ESports now? That thing going to start popping up in a NAGL or whatever organization tournament.

What are the ESports organizations even called these days?

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shaanyboi: Awesome! Hopefully the boomerang glitch is intact then too.

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

HoHum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blacks329: I really hope they make a male Zelda next

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I thought Dragon Quest VII looked pretty good, it came out in Japan back in 2013 so I kinda forgot about it. It is full on remake with 3D graphics instead of the 2D sprites on 3D environments that the original had. The main complaint I always heard about the original game was that it took 40 hours to unlock the job system and get interesting. I heard they unlock the job system way earlier in the new version and apparently some of the gameplay elements from Dragon Quest IX like enemies visible on the world map are in this version so I am intrigued.

Dragon Quest VIII is also getting a 3DS port, that is a fantastic game. DQ8 had one of the most robust localization conversions we've seen in this industry. The japanese menus kinda looked like a NES game so they redid those, they added voice acting, they updated the midi soundtrack to an orchestral score. However recent ports of DQ8 to cell phones are ports of the japanese version and are missing the voice acting and improved soundtrack. Hopefully the new 3DS version incorporates those elements.

Based on the logos they showed during the presentation it seems like Nintendo is publishing these.

dprotp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@freakin9 said:

I really don't want to buy a wii u just to play mario maker, especially with the nintendo nx on the horizon... but on another level, I want to. Damn it.

There are a handful of other solid-ass games too--Super Mario 3D Land is fantastic, Mario Kart 8 is a lot of fun if you still have some Mario Kart itch (plus the soundtrack is a joy to listen to), Bayonetta 2 (bundled with 1) is a lot of stupid fun, Smash Bros. is more Smash Bros. if you're into that, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is a solid, vibrant platformer, Wind Waker HD is an especially nice package if you missed out on playing the original, and Splatoon's (from what I've heard and seen because I don't own it) quite fun too.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dprotp said:
@freakin9 said:

There are a handful of other solid-ass games too--Super Mario 3D Land is fantastic, Mario Kart 8 is a lot of fun if you still have some Mario Kart itch (plus the soundtrack is a joy to listen to), Bayonetta 2 (bundled with 1) is a lot of stupid fun, Smash Bros. is more Smash Bros. if you're into that, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is a solid, vibrant platformer, Wind Waker HD is an especially nice package if you missed out on playing the original, and Splatoon's (from what I've heard and seen because I don't own it) quite fun too.

Bayonetta and Super Mario Land would be easy buys, the rest I'd definitely skip. I guess the one thing about the Wii U is that it's still pretty cheap, especially if I buy it used.

melodiousj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see anything in here about Dragon Quest.

What's up with that? Keep in mind my torch and pitchfork are both handy.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon Quest, son.