• 122 results
zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

@jaypb08 said:

Controversial statement: it may not have sold the best, but the Wii U has been the best console this generation. More titles are multi-platform than ever, and until Halo 5, I had no use at all for an Xbox One/PS4 - nearly everything on them is available on PC, which is always the superior version (save Arkham Knight). Everything else was on the Wii U, and I think the full line-up of games it has now has proven itself as a worthy purchase for anybody. In a world where the PS4/Xbox One is already under-powered, it always amazes me to hear people bash the Wii U for being weak when a majority of its library looks/runs better than most games on PS4/Xbox One. A strong art direction goes a long way, and the Wii U proved that; I only wonder how much more it would have sold if it had a better name than "Wii U"...

You know, I almost agree with you (and definitely would if I could get into the modern Zelda games/remakes, among other N franchises)... and that's saying a lot coming from me. Though I started on an NES (shortly after Atari) and had Nintendo consoles up through the N64 (N64 was the first one I bought myself, I specifically got a summer job at 15 just to save up for one!), something changed in me, soon after...

Once PlayStation/PS2/XBox became popular, and the PC was still getting leagues better all the time, I started to love the titles for those systems and mostly hate what Nintendo was putting out. I couldn't get over the cartoonish, cutesy, G-rated stuff any longer. I wanted realism, mature themes, and challenging games. I still bought a Wii, and quite a few games for it, and I couldn't get myself to play more than a couple hours of any game. I officially became an anti-fanboy of Nintendo in particular.

But now, with PS4 and XB1 just not getting exclusives anymore and inferior versions of multi-platform titles, I have a lot of respect for the Wii U. I still don't use mine except when I play with my 5-yr old nephew, but in the respect of original, first party games with some level of quality, the Wii U certainly has beaten out the other new consoles for anyone with a good PC, IMO. Well, except for Bloodborne, my life wouldn't be complete if I hadn't played that!!

mtfikhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I was literally thinking about if I should buy a WiiU this morning.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Well, the 10 or so great games on the Wii U were pretty great, so thanks for that Nintendo.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Now I am really feeling the new Zelda will just be made to be a launch game for the NX

TheRealDJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, so Wii U will officially be the worst performing home console(not counting virtual boy) in Nintendo's history. It'll place it about ~6-7 million below the Gamecube in unit sales.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#56  Edited By Atwa

I adore my Wii U. Never regret my purchase even once. Counted 15 games in my collection that I love.

Bring on the NX!

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

exciting. I guess this will make it extremely likely that the new Zelda will be on the NX as well.

kdr_11k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So should I buy a wii u now or wait?

Depends on how important saving money is to you, once the NX arrives the prices are going to drop quicker. Especially if the NX is backwards-compatible with it. Though if previous gens are any indication the NX will not be compatible with the Wii so if you want a device that plays original Wii games too you'd need the Wii U.

guthwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Oh man, I'm really excited (and a little bit scared) for the NX. I just hope Nintendo cooked up something good this time. With Microsoft and Sony apparently shifting to a PC-like incremental update approach, the NX might just be the only "true" console that is worth buying in the future.

Release this year, pretty please.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I love Austin, but this mindset that many of the younger generation have, that even portraying a race or culture is offensive, is crazy to me! Mario has offended exactly NO ONE throughout history, not anyone sane at least or not just trying to seek attention. Put a Mario quote in your article Austin, don't live in fear.

Actually, Vinny has talked a bit about how Mario has sometimes come off as offensive to him in a past Bombcast.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

my wii u is the only console i even have hooked up anymore

mathj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By mathj

what the fuck man. such a weird business.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Better stock up on those Wii U titles before they become crazy rare like the original Wii's library.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guess that Korean release date has been pushed back indefinitely now huh.

FlyboyJose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm looking forward to the inevitable followup to this story where the NX is formally announced as Wii.3.

WrathOfGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By WrathOfGod

Upsetting.

What a weird year this'll be though. Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo are all (probably) going to be announcing new hardware at E3 midway through the current generation, PLUS VR is hitting later this year too. That's...overwhelming? Maybe they all should've just stuck to that 10 year plan for last gen and delayed their current console releases until 2015 or 2016?

Chillicothe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

you know, of the "current gen consoles" the wii-u was the only one I was ever actually interested in buying [I am a pc player]. I actually really did enjoy that console a lot, and given that the graphics of the other consoles were underwhelming [while still above the wii-u] I found this to be the most valuable console purchase for me even with the fewer games. That wii-u had some awesome games actually

Pretty much. My PS4 has been rendered a BloodBorne Machine and for a japanese gaming fan such as myself, that is astounding.

I love Austin, but this mindset that many of the younger generation have, that even portraying a race or culture is offensive, is crazy to me! Mario has offended exactly NO ONE throughout history, not anyone sane at least or not just trying to seek attention. Put a Mario quote in your article Austin, don't live in fear.

Quit harshin on Vinny's feelings! :P

Loading Video...

frostyxc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Two notes:

1. It's just Nikkei, gramps. Bin that errant definite article.

2. Good idea on eschewing vague Italian stereotypes. Direct stereotypes are easier to understand for the reader and clearly convey spicy meatballs.

FightMeNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I wonder if this means the NX will have backwards compatable

baltimore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Imagine if the NX launched with Zelda and Splatoon 2. That would be cool.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#72 FinalDasa  Moderator

Imagine if the NX launched with Zelda and Splatoon 2. That would be cool.

Rumor has been the new Zelda will launch on the new NX and the Wii U.

rkofan87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wow the nx in 2016 lets go.

jejoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo seems to be floating out in space in terms of what they want to be in terms of the console landscape. They have consoles with gimmicks to differentiate and games with niche appeal which do work a lot of the time, yet compete on price with hardware. This will always add up as falling short.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

I guess fans won't be seeing that New Zelda or Metroid on the Wii U after all. And Mario Marker clearly wasn't successful enough to keep the console sales strong. One thing this is proving is that it is becoming very expensive to make games and consoles powerful enough to run them. It makes sense now why Konami got out of the game. This might be spelling doom for the gaming industry itself. I hope not. But with broken launch games, bad PC ports, and Sony and Microsoft admitting their Next-Gen console aren't powerful enough for this generation, things aren't looking so good.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By xanadu

@av_gamer said:

I guess fans won't be seeing that New Zelda or Metroid on the Wii U after all. And Mario Marker clearly wasn't successful enough to keep the console sales strong. One thing this is proving is that it is becoming very expensive to make games and consoles powerful enough to run them. It makes sense now why Konami got out of the game. This might be spelling doom for the gaming industry itself. I hope not. But with broken launch games, bad PC ports, and Sony and Microsoft admitting their Next-Gen console aren't powerful enough for this generation, things aren't looking so good.

I dont think so. While bad ports and broken launches are very much a thing, there is still a market for games played on a big screen. I think most of us on this site or other people who spend time on game forums and follow its journalism care, but the rest of the public doesn't seem to care all that much. Basically everyone I work with who plays games doesn't seem to care a whole lot about this. They just want the newest consoles to play the newest games. Nintendo just seemed to drop the ball with the WiiU in terms of marketing and just in the general concept of the console. The pad is a cool idea but the only game that seems to make a real case as to why you need one is Super Mario Maker. I think Nintendo was counting on all those people who bought wii's in the niche market to transfer over but that is crazy when you consider how foreign a concept the WiiU pad is compared to how simplistic the Wii Mote was. With all that said, games are still as popular as ever and people want to play them. I cant see the mobile market getting so big that people wont want to play the big releases like Call of Duty or whatever anytime in the near future.

moonwalksa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By moonwalksa

@atomicpineapple said:

"...and more than that, I'm hoping that it has at least some degree of backwards compatibility with the Wii U."

I highly doubt the next Nintendo thing (whatever that may be) will be backwards compatible. Despite the fact that it's severely underutilised, they'd have to find some way to incorporate a touch pad (especially if Mario Maker, something I'm sure they recognise as key, hopes to survive the jump), which I don't think they'll do, given the contention surrounding that controller.

Considering all the rumor and speculation that the NX might be a portable system (or at least have a portable component, or that it might work with 3DS games somehow), it wouldn't be strange at all for there to be a touchpad, considering that the past two Nintendo handhelds have had them in addition to the WiiU.

Whether it has one or not, I doubt they'll end up with all the controller weirdness of the WiiU (like using wiimotes as its secondary controllers was bizarre, among other things). Nintendo is usually good about changing things and learning from mistakes. Usually.

Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Mario Maker NX packed in at launch would make the NX a Day One purchase for me.

Have yet to pull the trigger on the Wii U. Waiting for the Zelda announcement. Excited to see Nintendo move more in the direction of Nintendo of old.

Valhallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, what an awkward life this system has had. From providing me with some of the best gaming experiences in recent memory to also super disappointing at some points, it was always a ride. I guess it's the most interesting console of this gen?

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Well, the 10 or so great games on the Wii U were pretty great, so thanks for that Nintendo.

Yep. That's all I was expecting from it, and I'm satisfied with what it is. That said, I've hardly used it since getting the PS4.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool, I finally picked up this system and even tricked a few friends to follow me to play Monster Hunter triU on it together. I won't be following to the NX, I'll be happy with my 3ds/ WiiU

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I was tempted at one point to buy a Wii U for Xenoblade Chronicles, but the reviews of that game didn't live up to my hype.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#83  Edited By Xeiphyer

Another Nintendo console with a handful of good first party games and that's about it. Same old story, but I enjoyed my time with the WiiU.

Edit: Thinking about it further, Nintendo formally announcing a new console probably goes a long way towards legitimizing the decision for Sony and Microsoft to roll out updated hardware. All three players potentially jumping to new hardware this early on is absolutely crazy.

greenmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I join those with doubts about backwards compatibility -- though I am hopeful. What I really want is for them to use the opportunity of a new console launch to actually integrate all of their Virtual Console stuff together -- the way it works now is just . . . maddening.

PlasmaDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By PlasmaDuck

Hopefully we can get some sweet deals on leftover Wii U's by christmas, I still need to play Bayonetta 2, Wind Waker and Monster Hunter.

sweetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still can't believe they haven't price dropped the thing.

I been wanting a Wii U forever purely to play Bayonetta and Wind Waker and even though I have the disposable income, I still can't sanely justify $300 to play two games.

Jpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightguy:

Same. I got a Wii U for MK8 when the game launched and have been getting the marquee titles for the system up to and including TP:HD. It will be sad to bench the Wii U for it has been my go to gaming console this gen. My PS4 collects dust while I play all the multi-plats on my PC. I am very happy to have seen those GB videos about the Game & Wario drawing mini-game. It has become one of my favorite little distractions in who knows how long.

citizenjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By citizenjp

@tajasaurus said:

my wii u is the only console i even have hooked up anymore

Same. I own 2 of them actually lol. I've had nothing but great times with the system.

CharlesDA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's hope my fancy pants Wind Waker Wii U sky rockets in value.

I'm pretty excited to see Nintendo's new thing, but really don't want to think my Wii U is sort of done already.

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

So long as the new console is backwards compatible, I think this is fine.

Fonzinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of the little single player console gaming that I do now a days, the Wii U has provided the most by far vs the PS4. There is a good amount of stuff on both consoles that I think with 90% certainty that I would enjoy, but if I ever play them is another story.

jambowned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Soooo...

http://www.vooks.net/nintendo-says-its-not-stopping-production-of-the-wii-u/

Tophat666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

So much for PS-VR or a new graphics card this year, putting my pennies towards Nintendo.

SharkMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#94  Edited By SharkMan
@zombievac said:

yeah, it's super weird, like when people say the Irish eat potatoes all the time or talk about leprechauns. tbh no Irishman actually cares.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

austin could have gone full stereotype and used the italian chef from the simpsons :(

NoneSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By NoneSun

Will have to see if the NX does backwards compatibility or not. Though Nintendo does have a good history of doing so I think it could change this time with the potentially different direction the NX is going in. Though I guess I thought the same thing about the Wii U before that was out...

It all reminds me a bit of the Dreamcast.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

@nightriff: Plenty of great games - I'm very happy with my purchase.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I can't say I'm surprised but it is sad to hear. Glad I got one when I did.

TrottyVek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 7

well that ended quickly

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers