808s and Heartbreak

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jakob187

Didn't find any other topics about this, but if there is one, then let me know.

Bought the album on a whim the other day, and I really dig it.  I can see where a bunch of hardcore Kanye fans don't like it, as it's very different.  However, as a massive metalhead, I was really surprised by how much I liked this album.

Anyone else been jammin' it?  Opinions?  Comments?
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Karmum

I'm actually thinking about buying this album instead of being the "rebel" I am and simply downloading it. I like both of his two singles off the album.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By DualReaver

I gave it a listen earlier today. Not as bad as I thought it'd be, I quite like Heartless and Amazing, but the rest is a little meh for me. What the hell is up with Welcome to Heartbreak though?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jakob187

I usually don't dig electronic and/or ambient albums, but this...I don't know...I felt the music and the words.  He had a good way of making the emptiness in the music match the tone he was going for.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DualReaver

I kind of see this album as Kanye really trying to legitimize himself in the musical community, not just that radio bullshit. Honestly, none of these songs really sound like they could be radiohits. Oh, almost forgot, luv Love Lockdown.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jakob187
DualReaver said:
"I kind of see this album as Kanye really trying to legitimize himself in the musical community, not just that radio bullshit. Honestly, none of these songs really sound like they could be radiohits."
"Heartless" and "Paranoid" could be, easily.  However, you gotta remember that he wrote this entire album in two weeks after him and his fiancee called it quits.  You can hear it on the album that this dood is H-E-A-R-T-B-R-O-K-E-N.  At the same time, the one thing I don't dig is how much he points the finger only one way for most of the album and doesn't point it the other way.
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DualReaver

I'll just give this album to my Sis' and see what she thinks of it, to get a more mainstream opinion.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jakob187

I've gotta say that I'm SUPER curious what Jeff thinks of the album.  He mentioned it a week or two ago on the Bombcast, and I'm really interested to hear what he has to say.

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By serbsta

From a hip hop/rap fan, i dont like it, few good tracks but lacks something.

Clean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Clean

Can't stand autotune

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By ThomasP

I really like the direction he took with this album. I think the weird voice technique helps make it a little less personal then it already is. Welcome to Heartbreak, Street Lights, Heartless, Love Lockdown, Paranoid, Coldest Winter and Amazing are all sick tracks. The entire album rocks for that matter.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jakob187
Clean said:
"Can't stand autotune"
ThomasP said:
"I really like the direction he took with this album. I think the weird voice technique helps make it a little less personal then it already is. Welcome to Heartbreak, Street Lights, Heartless, Love Lockdown, Paranoid, Coldest Winter and Amazing are all sick tracks. The entire album rocks for that matter."
I'm not a huge fan of Autotune either.  However, ThomasP makes a valid point that using the Autotune on such a personal album creates this very interesting juxtaposition.  There's something interesting, at least to me, in pouring your heart out but still putting this curtain up over everything so that there is still a bit of mystery to it...and that's what the electronics and Autotune do on this.  I won't even go into the fact that without the Autotune, the album wouldn't be NEARLY as good as it is right now.  There's just some things it does that, without the Autotune, I don't think I would've felt what I felt.
"Say You Will" is a good example, as well as "Bad News".

And it's not like Kanye just can't sing.  He actually CAN sing, and pretty well.  He simply used Autotune in order to create an extra element to his voice that he cannot do otherwise.