Anime discussion thread.

Rehtayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@bocam: They've definitely been stepping it up in Kud's route.

But I'd argue that the foreshadowing has been there the entire time. It's definitely been more obvious these past few weeks though.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Started watching Angel Beats. I feel like I've seen that discussed at length in this thread and I regret not hoping on that train sooner.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5104  Edited By Ravelle
Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'll post some more in-depth thoughts about Ookami Kodomo later, but for now I'm going to give the strongest recommendation I can possibly give it: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time has been knocked off the number one spot as Hosoda's best movie, Ookami Kodomo is fantastic.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5106  Edited By Ravelle

I'll post some more in-depth thoughts about Ookami Kodomo later, but for now I'm going to give the strongest recommendation I can possibly give it: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time has been knocked off the number one spot as Hosoda's best movie, Ookami Kodomo is fantastic.

People keep telling me that and it's been on my list for ages but it keeps slipping my mind.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#5107  Edited By Animasta

@cloudenvy: wait what's that movie about?

I have doubts that anything could topple that. It's honestly my favorite anime movie (much as I love spirited away)

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5108  Edited By Bocam

@animasta said:

I have doubts that anything could topple that. It's honestly my favorite anime movie (much as I love spirited away)

Ookami Kodomo is basically about motherhood and Agape

It also has bestiality.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5109  Edited By Cloudenvy

@animasta: Essentially about a mother trying to raise werewolf siblings. As much as I love The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Ookami Kodomo just really shows that Hosoda has learned the art of subtlety and the fact that two of the most impressive sequences in that movie have zero dialogue is awesome.

I'd love to have a longer discussion about it once some other duders have seen it.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

@bocam said:

@animasta said:

Ookami Kodomo is basically about motherhood and Agape

It also has bestiality.

Ignoring the animal part it is a nice story of being a parent and one that must overcome their children's problems, in this case being werewolves.

Wraith1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

so is Ookami Kodomo out on dvd/bd in the US yet or do I have to result to other means to watch this?

Also this weeks episode of Little Busters! was really good

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5112  Edited By Bocam

@wraith1 said:

so is Ookami Kodomo out on dvd/bd in the US yet or do I have to result to other means to watch this?

Also this weeks episode of Little Busters! was really good

Other means unless you can get to the New York International Children's Film Festival on the 24th

rubberluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seiko has apparently made some JoJo's Bizarre Adventure character themed watches (specifically Part 5). I think they actually look really nice, especially Giorno's blue&gold one, they're also 42,000 yen, which is what? 400+ USD? ugh

Anyway, JoJo 22 was great but poorly animated with some off-modelness going on. But seriously, what other shounens feature the big fight between rivals happening as a fight using hammers and crossbows, while riding chariots pulled by vampire horses. Vampire horses.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seiko has apparently made some JoJo's Bizarre Adventure character themed watches (specifically Part 5). I think they actually look really nice, especially Giorno's blue&gold one, they're also 42,000 yen, which is what? 400+ USD? ugh

Oh god I want to buy a $440 Jojo watch that will not fit my wrist.

People watching the Magi anime, have they gone into original material yet?

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5115  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@bocam said:

Oh god I want to buy a $440 Jojo watch that will not fit my wrist.

People watching the Magi anime, have they gone into original material yet?

If I would read the manga I could tell you, but I don't. Hmm, maybe I should start reading it...

Wait, no no no, bad idea. I would just spoil it for myself. But...

Fuck, I'm battling with my inner demons in here.

Wraith1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5116  Edited By Wraith1

@bocam: @alexandersheen: Well according to anime news network, Magi is only going to be 25 episodes long so I doubt there would be any anime original material if this is info is true

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

There's a manga tie-in/lead-in (don't know which) released for GitS: Arise, and the first chapter has been translated. It looks pretty cool, even though Masamune Shirow is not behind this one. Then again, that also means I can sort of understand what the fuck is going on here.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyway, JoJo 22 was great but poorly animated with some off-modelness going on. But seriously, what other shounens feature the big fight between rivals happening as a fight using hammers and crossbows, while riding chariots pulled by vampire horses. Vampire horses.

Oh so they did change the art, I thought it looked off but wasn't sure if it was just me or that it was actually the case. Characters suddenly looked like usual anime characters, I know they do that too focos more on action but it wasn't that action filled.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5119  Edited By Bocam

This video is what finally got me to watch Magi, and I couldn't be happier

Loading Video...

Chibithor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@babychoochoo said:

Started watching Angel Beats. I feel like I've seen that discussed at length in this thread and I regret not hoping on that train sooner.

So I've heard Angel Beats is great but having watched a couple of the episodes it didn't seem interesting to me. Does it pick up later or something?

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chibithor: Yeah, it does pick up I think after episode 4. It has more highs than lows I can tell you that.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chibithor: Pretty much what @metalsnakezerosaid. At the risk of overselling it, I cried like a little bitch throughout the last few episodes and I am not ashamed lol.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5123  Edited By golguin

I got another crunchyroll free trial. This time it's for 30 days and I think I'm going to give Fate/Zero a shot. During my last free trial I saw Madoka, Bake/Nisemonogatari, and Bodacious Space Pirates in 15 days.

Anything else to look out for?

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@babychoochoo: Did you also notice the weird plot hole Angel Beats had? It kind of ruins one of the bigger revelations of the last episode or two.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunter5024: If we're thinking about the same thing, I definitely agree with you there. It was definitely a "wait...dafuq?" moment lol. The writing/overall plot in the show in general wasn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination and normally I'd be losing my shit over something like that, but i dunno, I was able to put aside for once. I ended up liking the series overall.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@babychoochoo: The whole twist where the white haired girl got the main guys organs didn't really make sense considering she came to the limbo world way before him, and that made some of the emotion in the final scene come across a little flat. But like you I felt pretty positive about it overall.

Rehtayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5127  Edited By Rehtayne

@hunter5024:

It's been a while since I've watched Angel Beats, but I think I remember that it mentioned that

the main character's soul wandered about aimlessly for a while since he lost his memories. It could've been a good amount of time before he stumbled into the story's version of Limbo. Had the show been longer, I could easily see them showing Kanade being saved with the transplant, enjoying her new life, and then dying from some complication or accident some time after. Maybe that would've made the scene easier to follow.

I really didn't feel like it was a plot hole, but I definitely agree that the reveal was a little weak.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5128  Edited By Sinusoidal
Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5129  Edited By Petiew

Yeah I'm pretty sure that bit in Angel Beats is explained somewhat since I had heard the same thing as Rehtayne. It's been a while so I can't remember when it was mentioned either. Sucks that the series wasn't 26 episodes instead, would have worked a lot better if they fleshed out the other characters.

Has anyone read the supposed outline/spoilers for the new DBZ movie? I really can't tell if they're fake or not. I kind of hope they're not true as it is without a doubt the stupidest thing I have ever read. On the other hand they're so dumb it'd be hillarious to see the whole thing.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Saw it a couple of days a go. I enjoyed it a lot.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5131  Edited By metalsnakezero

Who ready for some Devils, surviving, the number two, and gravity defying breasts?

No Caption Provided

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5132  Edited By Cloudenvy

@metalsnakezero: Not me! Because Atlus hates everything in Europe. : ( Wishing for the day we get Atlus games even close to the same date as NA...Which will never happen.

Little fun news bit that got me excited:

Loading Video...

I'll take all the Supercell I can get (in case you don't understand, it says they're doing the new opening for the re-airing) and attaching it to an already rad show is even better, it is sad that Noitamina is reduced to re-airing older shows though. Obligatory @equitasinvictus because he's the only other Supercell fan I talk to about their music.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Loading Video...

I'll take all the Supercell I can get (in case you don't understand, it says they're doing the new opening for the re-airing) and attaching it to an already rad show is even better, it is sad that Noitamina is reduced to re-airing older shows though. Obligatory @equitasinvictus because he's the only other Supercell fan I talk to about their music.

YEEEAH! ♥

I totally just got The Bravery yesterday too. You can never go wrong with Supercell!

Or Yanagi Nagi, for that matter. I've been listening through a lot of her old school stuff and she's been amazing even when she started out doing covers of vocaloid songs.

Loading Video...

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5134  Edited By metalsnakezero

@metalsnakezero: Not me! Because Atlus hates everything in Europe. : ( Wishing for the day we get Atlus games even close to the same date as NA...Which will never happen.

Loading Video...

Don't blame Atlus too much, their doing the best they can. I do like Supercell's opening music a lot too and I can see it working for the show. However, if it a re-airing I'm fine, got the whole show on Blu-ray / DVD from NIS America collection.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't blame Atlus too much, their doing the best they can.

No, Atlus doesn't give a fuck about Europe.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5136  Edited By TobbRobb

They're really not though. Doing their best doesn't really work when they aren't doing ANYTHING at all.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@equitasinvictus: Yeah, The Bravery is a pretty great single. I do think 青空 is a bit weaker than the other two songs but that's only because She is my senior is a waaaaaaay better song than I thought it'd be.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally got around to watching the first couple of episodes of Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman with Monkey Punch's Lupin III character designs stuck in the Meiji era, and suddenly this song is the OP. The show is okay so far, but that opening is amazing.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This week's Medaka Box chapter is giving me some serious Zaregoto flashbacks.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5140  Edited By DocHaus

@bocam: I'm just surprised to find that there are any teachers in that school. I thought it was just student prodigies doing whatever they wanted and an old principal who just dicked around with his secret lab.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5141  Edited By Petiew

@metalsnakezero said:

If by doing their best you mean forgetting Europe exists and not wanting anything to do with it, then yes I agree.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5142  Edited By Bocam

I feel sad for people who have to rely on English translations for Magi (the manga). They're fucking terrible (at least the earlier chapters).

@dochaus said:

@bocam: I'm just surprised to find that there are any teachers in that school. I thought it was just student prodigies doing whatever they wanted and an old principal who just dicked around with his secret lab.

The teachers are from the novels (sadly not translated). Though in the novels the four of them were middle school teachers.

forestd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5143  Edited By forestd

Hey anime thread, I'm gonna throw out a recommendation for the best manga I've read in a long time: Molester Man.

The name is pretty deceiving, yet accurate. It's the rather ill-fitting alias of the main character in the story, a story based on (supposedly) real-life events, who in a sequence of misunderstandings is suspected of stalking a girl (who the story then aptly names Miss Understanding), and it develops from there in a very charming, humorous (expect LOTS of nerdy references) and touching manner.

Presumably because it is based on a real story, it avoids cliches and instead reads like the diary of a lonely guy who tries very hard not to be. His struggles are the struggles everyone face in some way, and his triumphs, as well as his defeats, feel that much more potent because of that.

It's drawn by the same artist as Onani Master Kurosawa, where you shouldn't let the name discourage you either as it is also great (and you should read it as well).

madpierrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5144  Edited By madpierrot

Ok, so kind of a difficult question and maybe annoying so sorry, but I use to be pretty big into anime and haven't for say... 2, 3 years now. I've really fallen out of the loop about what's been big. So just curious if anyone can answer, but what have kind of been "the" shows to come out over that time. The ones that got the most praise and were considered the must watches of their years. Thanks for any help.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madpierrot: Well, I can give you some recommendations, some of them might not be considered as "must watch" shows, but they are still really good:

There are a lot of other shows, but these are the ones that I can think of right now. I hope you like them.

madpierrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexandersheen: Hey, thanks for the suggestions. Usagi Drop was one of the few I've seen the past few years. Thought that was alright. Most of those don't really seem like something I'd be into, but Psycho-Pass certainly seems like a show I'd want to check out. Glad you mentioned it.

Love to hear more suggestions from anyone and thanks again AlexanderSheen. Not really sure why I kinda stopped keeping up, but it'd be nice to have a show or two to follow and watch again.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5147  Edited By Petiew
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#5148  Edited By Animasta

@madpierrot: Bodacious Space Pirates and Steins;Gate are ones that haven't been mentioned, but they are my favorites, and both fantastic if you like sci fi shit (steins;gate is time travel, bodacious is space battles and shit)

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petiew: You sir got some real nice taste.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dochaus: The Bakumatsu OP and ED, the OP especially, are absolutely great! The show...eh.