Anime Megathread III and Cartoon Megathread I!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2251  Edited By jimipeppr

Bee and Puppycat is a great cartoon. It's from the Adventure Time people (or something?).

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2252  Edited By bigjeffrey

new Hanamonogatari preview, forgot that this was like next week.

Loading Video...

aceofspudz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2253  Edited By aceofspudz
No Caption Provided

Guys, I've solved the mystery. Except instead of the supernatural, it's wrestling.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2254  Edited By bigjeffrey

Rokujouma 5 ~ some unexpectedly great action this episode, this show is very random but surprisingly very enjoyable so far. Princess of Love and Courage saves the day !!!

Dan Ryker is a fucking enigma

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2255  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I feel like there's a disturbing lack of stuff for me to watch this season...

...so I got Steins Gate and Mawaru Penguindrum. Time to lock the doors, closed the shades, and barricade myself inside. I ain't doing shit this weekend.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

You could always watch bad anime adaptations of semi-popular video games. Haven't you ever been curious about Xenosaga or Sakura Taisen?

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2257  Edited By adoggz

Rokujouma 5 ~ some unexpectedly great action this episode, this show is very random but surprisingly very enjoyable so far. Princess of Love and Courage saves the day !!!

Dan Ryker is a fucking enigma

hummmmm

No Caption Provided

yeah i can see Dan as enigma.

also i've found Tiger and Bunny and its sooo good. It seems very under-appreciated. Also watched Murder Princess and for that name it really coulda had more action and blood and murdering and stuff.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am 3 episodes from being done with SAO... man this show could have been so much better. There could have been more times where Kirito went Super Saiyan. Sometimes they just cut out fights altogether so we don't get to see them. I feel like the first romance is pretty natural as far as anime goes. Then when the kid comes in they start acting really weird. It is an AI and they know they will have to leave that world but they still cry over it. I don't know. Then the show decides that it would be great to have an incest plot line. What the fuck is that all about? Also, how could she not tell that was her brother?

I like the ideas of the games that they are playing in the anime and it seems like the show was written by people who actually know something about video games. But I don't know... The show is half bad.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@flacracker: I don't know if the anime mentions this or not but Kirito and Suguha aren't actually related

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But I don't know... The show is half bad.

sao plot is pretty terrible.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flacracker said:

I agree. It was bad even before the second half. Artificial relationships, forced drama with no weight, unearned ending and so on. And this is just the first half I'm talking about!... SAO is bad.

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2262  Edited By mwng

Unsure if this is the right place for it, but another kickstarter for another anime short. Under the Dog.

Lots of big names banded around the pitch, but stuff doesn't always turn out to be the sum of it's parts. Setting seems a little conventional too, high schoolers with guns! Still, I enjoyed the trailer for all the negativity, and how could I not back a project with such a silly name.

They're asking for $580,000 by Sep 7th for a 26 minute episode/pilot thing.

Trailer below.

Loading Video...

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mawaru Penguindrum

prepare for super weird.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigjeffrey said:

@flacracker said:

I agree. It was bad even before the second half. Artificial relationships, forced drama with no weight, unearned ending and so on. And this is just the first half I'm talking about!... SAO is bad.

The show was still interesting enough for me to watching it all over a few days. I just finished it and the generic villain kind of seals the deal. He literally wanted to take over the world.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocam said:

@flacracker: I don't know if the anime mentions this or not but Kirito and Suguha aren't actually related

I think it mentions it early on in whatever episode this was? I know that they're cousins or something.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexandersheen said:

@bigjeffrey said:

@flacracker said:

The show was still interesting enough for me to watching it all over a few days. I just finished it and the generic villain kind of seals the deal. He literally wanted to take over the world.

You should watch season 2, it's sooooooooo much better. The villain is named "DEATH GUN", he's super cool because he has a gun that kills people. This is sarcasm in text form

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@bocam said:

I think it mentions it early on in whatever episode this was? I know that they're cousins or something.

They are cousins. Suguhu found out they were just cousins while he was still in SAO.

Can we talk about the latest episode of Sword Art Online 2? People have complained about the series for various reason (some valid and some not), but I think this episode would be hard dismiss. We got some nice backstory on Laughing Coffin and we got to see that Sinon and Kirito are pretty close in terms of trauma.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2268  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Full Metal Mahouka. Also, dat apron.

Also, I'm like 7 episodes into Steins:Gate and, aside from pretty much every character having some sort of irritating cliché anime quirk (e.g. DU DU DUUUU (though, admittedly, that one does occasionally make me smile)), it seems super interesting. I can only imagnie how crazy shit gets later on. Because this seems like the type of show where shit gets craaaaazy.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2269  Edited By EXTomar

@aceofspudz said:
No Caption Provided

Guys, I've solved the mystery. Except instead of the supernatural, it's wrestling.

So Dan Ryckert is the most powerful wrestler in the universe where the Giant Bomb crew has to do everything in their power to convince him he is just a lowly video game critic/personality or the universe of wrestling changes in chaotic ways?

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2270  Edited By nasp

@babychoochoo said:

...so I got Steins Gate and Mawaru Penguindrum. Time to lock the doors, closed the shades, and barricade myself inside. I ain't doing shit this weekend.

its the opposite for me.im watching akame ga kill,tokyo ghoul,psycho pass new edit,and im going to start aldnoah zero soon.terra formars starts in the next month or so as well.this is the most anime ive kept up with at one time when it comes to new animes.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oniisama 19 ~ oniisama's bad ass aurora here to kill you son. pff that 50 cal. sniper didnt even scratch oniisama.

also lots of good music this ep

also wat

Avatar image for anonymous-poster
Anonymous-poster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was just at an asia food store today and there was a bookstore that I went to that had a whole lot of Anime stuff. Thought that it was really cool to check out.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Two(ish) question(s) about The Irregular At Magic High School: How/why are there so many damn enrollment episodes?

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

This is a great cartoon: Bee and Puppycat. It's from the Adventure Time people (or something?).

Bee and Puppycat is indeed fantastic! I'm excited for them to finish the first season, I pre-ordered the BluRay when the Kickstarter was happening. I need more.

In other news, I finished Toradora. It ended less good than it started. It was one of those "what the fuck was that?" endings, which is the same kind of ending that occurred in Ranma 1/2, which I finished recently as well.

I also caught up on my Jojo, which has no clear signs of slowing down. I mean, They were fighting the sun, which was controlled by a fat guy hiding behind a mirror, and now they have to kill a baby that murders people in their dreams? Excellent.

Checked out the first two or three episodes of a few things, all of which seem very promising so far: Monster, No Game No Life, Gurren Lagann. Just going for the stuff I've heard is the best. It's perhaps a good thing I watched Jojo and played Phoenix Wright before watching NGNL, but simply spotting those references makes me wonder what others are going right over my head. Also, Monster already feels like it's going to emotionally kill me by the end of the series.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hamst3r: Why was Toradora ending so weird to you?

Two(ish) question(s) about The Irregular At Magic High School: How/why are there so many damn enrollment episodes?

Because they couldn't think of unique episode titles and instead just used the title of the first two books. Why are you watching Ayn Rand: the anime(The Irregular At Magic High School)?

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocam said:

Why are you watching Ayn Rand: the anime(The Irregular At Magic High School)?

More or less the same reason I'm watching Log Horizon: I have no fucking clue.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2278  Edited By Hamst3r

@bocam said:

@hamst3r: Why was Toradora ending so weird to you?

Because, in essence it was:

Let's elope! Yes, let's run away! Wait, I've changed my mind, we can't run away! Alright, let's pretend we're married for one night, so that I can later monologue that I can't run away anymore, right before I then run away and not tell anyone! Holy shit, a whole damn year has passed! Oh, was that Taiga in the window? Where the hell has she been? Oh, here you are, hiding in a locker. I love you. I shall reciprocate your declaration with violence. Okay, but, what does this all mean? I dunno, lol, end.

That ending didn't do it for me.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aldnoah.Zero 6 ~ finally that dude escapes from the alien people and gets there in the nick of time to save them. Thought the mech fist rockets were dumb.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

So I finished Kill la Kill earlier in the week and I enjoyed it a bunch. I am rewatching Gurren Lagann and started watching Bakemonogatari tonight.

billymaysrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocam said:

@video_game_king: Have you gotten up to the Moon reveal in Log Horizon?

Moon reveal? Like the guild Crescent Moon Alliance? What reveal? Is this TTGL and the Moon is a secret weapon designed to destroy the world when the videogames get too evolved?

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billymaysrip: The hidden thirteenth server, Mare Tranquillitatis is located on the Moon and is also the place where Adventurers first go to after being killed. There, they sacrifice a small part of their memories in order to return home

billymaysrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocam: yo man, all that stuff ain't yet in the anime, don't go setting up false expectations. The next series will definitely cover it, but that doesn't come out this fall season. The first season of the anime covers volumes 1-5 of the LN, and all we know is that you eventually lose your memories when you die a whole bunch. Akatsuki is yet to get fucked up and die.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2284  Edited By super2j

So, I watched Dragon ball z Battle of the Gods in Theatres today. The english voice acting/dialogue made a HUGE difference for me(I broke down last year and could not wait... I had to watch a fan sub). I definitely found things funnier( i was almost disappointed when the serious fight scene started because I enjoyed the dialogue so much). But overall my opinions about the specifics of the movie/plot stand:

Goku is a jerk, Vegeta is an awesome guy, Beerus is a super cool guy and everyone else is unnecessary. That weird relationship between 40yr old Kid Mai and Trunks was awkward but the english dialogue for Goten during those scenes were amazing.

Speaking of videogames: Next DBZ game, when goku goes SSJ3, Vegeta should go SSJ(Bulma gets slapped). Vegeta would never lose again.

@video_game_king said:

@babychoochoo said:

You could always watch bad anime adaptations of semi-popular video games. Haven't you ever been curious about Xenosaga or Sakura Taisen?

a while ago, I asked some internet community what I should watch if I wanted to get into Gundam. The list was pretty intimidating, Gundam has been around for like 40yrs. There are multiple universes and the only two gundam shows I was familiar with were set in two different non main line universes. I was ready to do it but then I didn't. You could do it, unless, you already did.

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hamst3r said:
@jimipeppr said:

This is a great cartoon: Bee and Puppycat. It's from the Adventure Time people (or something?).

Bee and Puppycat is indeed fantastic! I'm excited for them to finish the first season, I pre-ordered the BluRay when the Kickstarter was happening. I need more.

Man, I'm really out of the loop... I didn't know they were making more. Now I'm excited, too!

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2286  Edited By AlexanderSheen

I don't understand how things like this happen.

No Caption Provided

There was no one who thought "maybe we should proof read the text before we commit to make the scene?"

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2287  Edited By Hamst3r

@alexandersheen: Searching for "White Suger" brings up this on Amazon. Wherein the title is written correctly in the image, but incorrectly on the page. Below that, it says: Label: VIVID SOUND (JAPAN). It seems this is a thing.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2288  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Hey, guys...turns out Steins;Gate was really fucking awesome.

edit: well, now that I don't feel so lazy, I guess I'll elaborate a bit.

The story was fucking amazing. Definitely one of the best I've seen in dealing with time travel. A lot of really great, unexpected twists and turns. I expected shit to get crazy...but damn, they just kept surprising me. Didn't expect it to be so emotional either. The middle-ish part of the series. when the "Mayrui death loop" occurs and Okabe starts to just completely breakdown over the course of the next few episodes. really got to me. No tears or anything, but, again, it was handled competently and actually made me feel something which is more than I can for a lot of other anime these days. There were other moments too, but that section in particular stuck out to me as one of the better parts of the series.

Normally, I expect a baffling number of plotholes and inconsistencies with stories relating to time travel, but I feel like they did a good job at covering their bases. There was one specific question that was bugging me for the longest fucking time that I thought they would never address it, but, surprisingly, a character does bring it up near the end. The reply was pretty much a straight up "I dunno," but I was happy the show was smart enough to not just ignore it and, when I began to think about it further, there was in fact no way for anyone in the show to know the answer to the question. I've never been so glad to not get an answer haha.

My one gripe with the series, and I kinda brought it up in an earlier post, is the characters. Every goddamn character has some sort of out-of-place, quirky element to them. Okabe's stupid laugh. Mayuri's dumb DU DU DUUU (which I now hate again) and constantly speaking in the third person. Kirisu never not being a super tsundere. What's her face always adding nyaa/nyan to every goddamn fucking sentence. And so on and so on. It just really took me out the show from time to time because I felt like, generally, they (studio, director, writer, whoever, etc) did a good job at handling things in an arguably realistic (well, realistic enough) way that when one of those quirks would sorta popup in the midst of it all and I'm sitting there like "NOBODY FUCKING ACTS LIKE THIS! EVER!" Maybe it's just a result of it's time. I think Miyazaki was onto something when he said these days otaku are making anime for other otaku. I dunno. Regardless, I felt like the show could have easily survived without those things. Luckily, the rest of the show is more than good enough to survive with them.

I wouldn't put this show in top 10. Hell, probably wouldn't even make my top 25. But it was really good and I'm glad I finally took the time to watch it.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I am 3 episodes from being done with SAO... man this show could have been so much better. There could have been more times where Kirito went Super Saiyan. Sometimes they just cut out fights altogether so we don't get to see them. I feel like the first romance is pretty natural as far as anime goes. Then when the kid comes in they start acting really weird. It is an AI and they know they will have to leave that world but they still cry over it. I don't know. Then the show decides that it would be great to have an incest plot line. What the fuck is that all about? Also, how could she not tell that was her brother?

I like the ideas of the games that they are playing in the anime and it seems like the show was written by people who actually know something about video games. But I don't know... The show is half bad.

I feel the exact same way. That first 10 or 11 episodes is great... but man is that latter half disappointing. I haven't watched it yet, but I'm hoping all that bullshit is left behind in the second season.

By the way, can anybody who's seen any of the second season tell me if it's worth watching? I know there's only six or so episodes so far, but how's it been?

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

@mwng: The trailer looks pretty cool, but not sure if I can bring myself to kickstart things again when I'm still waiting on the last few to come to fruition.

@alexandersheen: Artistic license: English is different in that world. Bam! Excuse!

In other news still watching Argevollen for some reason. It's not the best mech show, but it's not bad either, kinda reminds me of old-school Gundam at times. I think the show becomes more enjoyable if you think of Jamie as the MC instead of Tokimune.

Aldnoah.Zero is still awesome in its own way. Inaho is the best MC of the season.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2293  Edited By golguin

@bocam: yo man, all that stuff ain't yet in the anime, don't go setting up false expectations. The next series will definitely cover it, but that doesn't come out this fall season. The first season of the anime covers volumes 1-5 of the LN, and all we know is that you eventually lose your memories when you die a whole bunch. Akatsuki is yet to get fucked up and die.

Yeah, straight up not in the season. Why would you bring up something from the manga that isn't in the anime? If you haven't seen the Log Horizon anime you shouldn't assume X plot point from the manga is in the show without knowing it's in there.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, so I started watching some of this season's shows. Was not in the mood to start lighter ones but that will happen at some point.

Akame ga Kill! was better than I expected but still, I find the mixture of tone quite jarring. I would enjoy it more if there were less wacky fun and moe. The last episode is a good example for that. The impact of Sheele's death were hindered by a close-up on her scissor, which has a cute panda on it. It was effective, it got me good, but little things like that made it a little off putting. On the plus side, it has really good fight scenes. And, unlike in Tokyo Ghoul, it does not have censoring all over it. Which is a shame, because it's the superior one in almost every category out of the two. I can't wait to see more of that one.

Next on my list are Aldnoah.Zero and Zankyou no Terror. After those, a little change of scenery with Ao Haru Ride and Glasslip. And maybe, just maybe, I'll try Sword Art Online II.

Oh and Barakamon and Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun continues to be great.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, so I started watching some of this season's shows. Was not in the mood to start lighter ones but that will happen at some point.

Akame ga Kill! was better than I expected but still, I find the mixture of tone quite jarring. I would enjoy it more if there were less wacky fun and moe. The last episode is a good example for that. The impact of Sheele's death were hindered by a close-up on her scissor, which has a cute panda on it. It was effective, it got me good, but little things like that made it a little off putting. On the plus side, it has really good fight scenes. And, unlike in Tokyo Ghoul, it does not have censoring all over it. Which is a shame, because it's the superior one in almost every category out of the two. I can't wait to see more of that one.

Next on my list are Aldnoah.Zero and Zankyou no Terror. After those, a little change of scenery with Ao Haru Ride and Glasslip. And maybe, just maybe, I'll try Sword Art Online II.

Oh and Barakamon and Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun continues to be great.

Aldnoah Zero and Sword Art Online 2 are good choices.

billymaysrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a thing against watching shows live. I always wait until the anime has finished and then stream it or buy the dvd at a later time.

I like watching stuff quickly in short bursts, and if I watch animes live, I'll end up watching too many at once and lose track of all of them. Then again, I've returned to the anime scene pretty late and missed a good two decades of content, so I have a lot of catching up to do.

Also, Working!!' has a third season upcoming. I'm excited. I'm sad the manga is ending this December tho...

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@flacracker said:

I feel the exact same way. That first 10 or 11 episodes is great... but man is that latter half disappointing. I haven't watched it yet, but I'm hoping all that bullshit is left behind in the second season.

By the way, can anybody who's seen any of the second season tell me if it's worth watching? I know there's only six or so episodes so far, but how's it been?

I just got caught up and season 2 has been a slow start. I actually think the last two episodes with the GGO tournament have been the most interesting so far and to me the show is picking up steam. The thing I like about this show is how it makes fun of the tropes of the games Kirito is playing. Like when people find out he can dual wield in SAO and and Alfheim they freak the fuck out in the most hilarious way.

Maybe its cause I'm a die hard MMO player and can empathize with him but I like the show. Sure it went downhill after the mid point of season 1 but its still interesting enough for me to want to watch it. Its also gotten me back into anime in a weird way I haven't been in like 5 years or so. So here's to catching up on shows.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2298  Edited By bigjeffrey

Sword_Art_Online_II 6 ~ he cuts a bullet in half

Hey, guys...turns out Steins;Gate was really fucking awesome.

yup starts slow, but gets bat sht crazy in later episodes. Really good.

The movie sequel is pretty rad too.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Man that Akame ga Kill episode was surprising

I really didnt think they would kill off a main character this soon, i still think Koro is adorable though

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@hamst3r: Huh? I remember it slightly differently in that she realized that running away and eloping wasn't going to solve her problems. She went to go live with her mom and try to get her shit together before she can finally be with him. She didn't quite run away. In the end, she did manage to get her life together and came back for him. The violence was just her tsundere personality. The ending worked for me.