Any fans of progressive metal/metal in general?

• 100 results
DarkHomer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By DarkHomer

Well, i'm not usually one to plug a band, but these guys are really fucking good.
They're called Last Chance to Reason, and any fans of Between the Buried and Me or Cynic or anything of the like I advise you check em out. And it's fitting i post about these on here because, well, i have to assume you enjoy video games.
They just put out their new concept album titled "Level 2" . But the concept for this album is that ITS ALSO TOTALLY A VIDEO GAME. It plays like a side scrolling shooter, (also works as a dual joystick shooter if you plug in a 360 remote) but instead of 8-bit music, they play tracks off of their album along with it.
I heard of these guys a little while ago on facebook, and have been pretty stoked for this album to come out, so i figured i'd share the enjoyment with anyone else that's a fan of this type of music, or even doesn't mind it and just likes some side scrollers.
You can head over here for the demo of the game
http://lastchancetoreason.wordpress.com/
and here's a video of one of their songs on youtube!

Disclaimer: I am not in any way personally affiliated with the band, i just think they're kick ass. ENJOY!
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Metalheads on a video game site? I've never heard of such a thing.

DarkHomer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DarkHomer

Oh, my sincerest appoligies
I shall pack up my bags and venture towards the "My Little Pony" forums. 

TehJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By TehJames

Nah, 
Last Chance to Reason is okey... I prefer  trash metal/folk metal. 

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By AlexW00d

You compared them to Between the Buried and Me so I listened. They are nothing like Between the Buried and Me. Between the Buried and Me write some of the best, most complex music around but that song was fucking awful. :(

IcySandman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By IcySandman

I saw a Scale the Summit show on sunday, rocked!!  But I listen to many forms of metal so yeah..

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Opeth, Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree are lords

@DarkHomer said:
" Oh, my sincerest appoligiesI shall pack up my bags and venture towards the "My Little Pony" forums.  "
he's kidding. a mass poll on these forums showed that the majority of Giant Bomb users are metalheads
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By iam3green

metal is great music. i like that kind of music. this friday i'm going to buy mayhem tickets, it's going to be disturbed, godsmack, megadeth. it should be a good show.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Example1013
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" Opeth, Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree are lords

@DarkHomer said:
" Oh, my sincerest appoligiesI shall pack up my bags and venture towards the "My Little Pony" forums.  "
he's kidding. a mass poll on these forums showed that the majority of Giant Bomb users are metalheads
"
Better than being a bonehead, I guess.
AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AlexW00d
@iam3green said:
" metal is great music. i like that kind of music. this friday i'm going to buy mayhem tickets, it's going to be disturbed, godsmack, megadeth. it should be a good show. "
Do you mean Mayhem the band? Or is it a festival. If it the band I commend you good sir.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By iam3green
@AlexW00d said:
" @iam3green said:
" metal is great music. i like that kind of music. this friday i'm going to buy mayhem tickets, it's going to be disturbed, godsmack, megadeth. it should be a good show. "
Do you mean Mayhem the band? Or is it a festival. If it the band I commend you good sir. "
i mean the festival.
Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Julmust

Progressive metal is great. Symphony X is in the works for a new album!

I can also recommend the latest Evergrey if you'd like something fresh. 

For the song you posted I can't say I enjoyed the vocals. At all. :(
SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#13  Edited By SMTDante89
@Jolt92 said:
" Progressive metal is great. Symphony X is in the works for a new album! "
It's done.  Just getting ready to release it on June 17th.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HandsomeDead

This is the internet; of course people like that shit.

ItBeStefYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By ItBeStefYo

I think Mastodon is the only thing ive heard thats progressive metal and I have to say its very good.
Metal in general for me is very hit or miss probably due to the amount of bad metal bands but whatever

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By Julmust
@SMTDante89: Oh, had no idea. That's a two month long wait then.
DarkHomer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DarkHomer

Yeah, vocals are kinda a make or break for most bands for me, but i understand why some wouldn't like it.

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

" Opeth, Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree are lords

@DarkHomer said:
"
I agree! Porcupine Tree and Opeth are probably two of my favorite bands. And yeah, i could sense the trollin XD.

On a side note:
The parallax: hypersleep dialogues is quite possibly the most amazing thing i have ever heard.
STOKED TO SEE THEM ON THE 21ST WOOO!
Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DarkHomer:  These guys are more like Genghis tron, but you mentioned BTBAM which automatically makes you a superior human being :)
BTBAM Crazy Donkey April 15 huzaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By ajamafalous

No, none.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SomeJerk

I live in Sweden as a child of Finnish immigrants. How could I not be into metal?

I miss the old Arch Enemy, did not mind Johan Liiva singing, they were so much more progressive and even symphonic in the old days, more beautiful melodies, happy to see they've gone onto that route again, not happy to hear Gossow's doing what she always does with her voice.. but they do make for a great stage act. Tiny slim blonde gal making Liiva sound like a tenor in comparison.

I *dug* Dream Theater (peaked with SFAM for me), hope I will dig them again with the new drummer. LaBrie's latest solo project was a surprise, listened to it with a big wide grin from start to finish.

Symphony X meanwhile - up there in the tiny list of stuff I can listen to and never ever get bored of. Just, one more night~~

(Once I trust my own musical skills enough, or if I get my high school voice back, I'll try to find a prog or metal outfit to work with, living in one of the most musical cities in Sweden)

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MariachiMacabre
@HandsomeDead: My god do you ever make a post that doesn't consist of you acting like your shit doesn't stink? I swear in my years of lurking these hallowed tubes I have rarely seen such pretentiousness.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest because it's been building up for a while. I've listened to In Flames and Opeth for a while so those are probably my favorites of the general Metal genre. 
Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Vonocourt

Been listening to this album constantly over the past couple of weeks. 

neozeke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By neozeke

Prog's not my thing, I like tech metal and what not, but traditional prog is not my joint : / Any fans of Djent in here? 

xXDiabloFanXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By xXDiabloFanXx

MetalHead reporting in. Anything from Ozzy to Dimmu Borgir, Dark Funeral, Agalloch, Draconian, and Katatonia. If it's good I'll listen to it.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Hmm, don't like this.
I don't like grunting and the like in general...we all have an unique voice, why degrade it into nothing more then that?
(Yes, some of the bands below also feature parts or songs with that kind in it but believe me, I loathe it.)

I'm into Ciske/Somerville, Avantasia, Edguy, Hammerfall, Elvenking, Battlelore, Powerman 5000 and Jorn Lande, to name a few.

King_Bonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By King_Bonzo

I'm going to cause grave offence and admit I never saw much appeal in Between The Buried And Me :/

For me prog metal = Gojira, She Said Destroy, Mastodon, Buried Inside, Cult of Luna, Cynic, Enslaved, Taake and Akercocke.

I wouldn't call Opeth progressive really. They havn't really progressed since Blackwater Park.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By Tordah
@King_Bonzo said:
"I wouldn't call Opeth progressive really. They havn't really progressed since Blackwater Park."
That's the dumbest thing I've heard in awhile. You could say the same thing for the vast majority of the "progressive" genre, be it metal or rock. 

Take Dream Theater, for instance. They're probably the biggest prog metal band ever, and they've been sounding more or less the same since day one. You can't throw out a band from a genre tag just because they haven't changed, that makes no sense. "Oh, they used to be prog, and years later they still sound the same, but now they're not prog anymore?"

I kinda agree that "progressive" as a term for describing a form of music can be a bit misleading, but that's just what it is. A term. It's not meant to be taken literally any more than "thrash metal" or "death metal".

Oh, and I'd also argue that Opeth has progressed quite a lot since Blackwater Park, but that's another story.
King_Bonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By King_Bonzo

@Tordah: 

Nope there are plenty of bands who mixed things up. Each of Mastodon's albums have a different theme and a progressed sound. Same thing for Buried Inside, Morbid Angel, Drudkh, Gojira, Enslaved. Even the old bands like Yes, Jethro Tull and the Moody Blues changed it up on each release. Aside from Damnation none of Opeth's albums stick out as varying from any other, they've been treading water for a good while.

That's not to say Opeth are a poor band! Mediocre maybe but not exactly poor. Many bands stick to a style or theme without stagnating however (Suffocation, Motorhead, Napalm Death) and Opeth stagnated on Ghost Reveries.

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#29  Edited By Timing
@DarkHomer:  I like the idea and I liked the song until the point where the vocals got too much '-core', which I'm not really a fan of. Still, cool concept. Also, if you're into this sort of keyboard-heavy proggy death stuff, you should check out Kalisia. You might like them.
Avatar image for james_ex_machina
James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By James_ex_machina

Mastodon is the only band that pops in my head. 

....some of the System of a Down
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#31  Edited By natetodamax

I used to like Metallica and stuff like that until I started listening to bands that have more style and sexiness instead of OH MAN WICKED FAST GUITAR SOLO CRAZY DRUMS SCREAMING AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SCREEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMM BLOOOOOOOOOOOD.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Dream Theater is easily my favorite band of all time.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CheapPoison

Hooray for prog!

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Elazul
@natetodamax said:
" I used to like Metallica and stuff like that until I started listening to bands that have more style and sexiness instead of OH MAN WICKED FAST GUITAR SOLO CRAZY DRUMS SCREAMING AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SCREEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMM BLOOOOOOOOOOOD. "
What the hell are you talking about? I can't think of anything more stylish or sexy than this:
No Caption Provided
Anyway, I'm not really much of a Metal guy. I generally prefer Hard Rock, Grunge and Blues stuff. Oh, and the Peppers. They fucking rip.
stubbleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By stubbleman
@TaliciaDragonsong:

Man, that's just messed up. I don't want to tell you your business. If you don't like harsh vocals then that's totally cool, but I don't like you insinuating that they are outright inferior to clean vocals. I don't want to be rude to you or anything either, but that's just not right man. Clean vocals are not superior like your seem to think they are. If you did like harsh vocals, then you would understand that even with harsh vocals, everyone's voice is special and different as well, and that there is a ton of different vocal sounds to hear. There's no nothing more than that to it. I'm sorry if I sounded rude. But all harsh vocals don't sound the same. You totally don't have to like them or anything, just know that they are beautiful flowers, each and every one, just like clean vocals.
Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hot_Karl

About 10 times a day, I tell myself "Death to all but metal".

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#37  Edited By Tordah
@King_Bonzo: That's not my point. "Mixing things up" is not a criteria for calling something progressive or not. I don't know where you got that impression but judging from the bands you mentioned it's not hard to see why you would think that. If changing your sound with every new album is a criteria for prog then I guess Metallica should be considered a prog band? See where I'm getting at here?

When the term "progressive metal" started getting thrown around it was used to describe bands like Queensryche, Fates Warning, Crimson Glory, Dream Theater, etc. None of the bands you mentioned have their roots in that kinda music. Enslaved started out as a black metal band. Cynic started out as thrash/death metal band, and so forth. The term has become so broad and overused that it barely means anything anymore. Most of the bands you mentioned are hybrid bands. Yes, they all (well, most of them) have progressive elements but they take just as much from other genres.

I don't even know why you mentioned Drudkh, Taake and Gojira since those bands have nothing to do with prog at all.
DelroyLindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DelroyLindo

Meshuggah. That's all I have to contribute.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BestUsernameEver

metal sucks, Dubstep and electro house are way better and every song doesn't sound the same. 

King_Bonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By King_Bonzo

@Tordah:
So what is progressive? Having a genre with keyboards in? does that make you progressive?

A prog-infused band is one who experients with song structure, and sounds bringing in muliple elements to broaden the scope of their music. or to progress their music.

For example Drudkh do this by evolving from low fi black metal, to folk infused ambiant black metal, to a more cinema sound encapsulating samples and electronic effects and more recently shoe gaze elements. Their themes stretch from nature to ukranian poetry to ukranian history to the universe to pagan themes and fantasy. All the while they pushed the scope for what black metal was and opened the door for many new bands at the same time. They employed new production techniques and experimented with instrumental folk albums. In short they progressed.

You can spin similar examples for Gojira or Taake or Cult of Luna.

Opeth on the other hand play keyboard heavy death metal with occaional acoustic parts and clean vocals and.... have done the exact same thing for the past 6 or so albums.

Also your suggestion that to be progressive you need to begin as a progressive band from the start is idiotic. Yes began as a straight rock band with no hint of what they would progress into and now they are one of the pinacles of the very notion of progressive music.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Elazul
@somnambulist said:

" @TaliciaDragonsong: Man, that's just messed up. I don't want to tell you your business. If you don't like harsh vocals then that's totally cool, but I don't like you insinuating that they are outright inferior to clean vocals. I don't want to be rude to you or anything either, but that's just not right man. Clean vocals are not superior like your seem to think they are. If you did like harsh vocals, then you would understand that even with harsh vocals, everyone's voice is special and different as well, and that there is a ton of different vocal sounds to hear. There's no nothing more than that to it. I'm sorry if I sounded rude. But all harsh vocals don't sound the same. You totally don't have to like them or anything, just know that they are beautiful flowers, each and every one, just like clean vocals. "

There's no need to get so heated up over it dude, it's just her opinion. Anyway she does have a valid point. The difference between two singers using their normal singing voices, say Geddy Lee and Barry White, will always be greater than that of two singers constrained within the same specialised vocal style. That's just how it is.

@BestUsernameEver said:
" metal sucks, Dubstep and electro house are way better and every song doesn't sound the same.  "

That's not really true at all. Every genre "all sounds the same" if you only have an extremely shallow, generalised veiw of it. Hell, to me all Dupstep sounds the same, because I don't listen to it or have an informed opinion about it.
Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somnambulist said:
" @TaliciaDragonsong: Man, that's just messed up. I don't want to tell you your business. If you don't like harsh vocals then that's totally cool, but I don't like you insinuating that they are outright inferior to clean vocals. I don't want to be rude to you or anything either, but that's just not right man. Clean vocals are not superior like your seem to think they are. If you did like harsh vocals, then you would understand that even with harsh vocals, everyone's voice is special and different as well, and that there is a ton of different vocal sounds to hear. There's no nothing more than that to it. I'm sorry if I sounded rude. But all harsh vocals don't sound the same. You totally don't have to like them or anything, just know that they are beautiful flowers, each and every one, just like clean vocals. "
Oi, kid, like my defender said, lighten up.
Its my opinion, I tried and tried but for me it adds nothing, just makes the voice sound generic.
Heard of Kitty? I loathe their songs, but they got some couplets where they sing using a normal voice and its beautiful.

Tastes differ, to each their own, I have no hate for it, listen to what you want, I don't care, just enjoy the music.
Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Pibo47

I like the standard stuff. Avenged SevenFold, Disturbed, Pantera, and ect...im more of a hip hop guy myself though.

stubbleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By stubbleman
@TaliciaDragonsong:

Okay. Obviously your saying that it's your opinion. That's all I wanted to hear. I tried to be apologetic for sounding rude. I guess I didn't hammer that point home enough. If you don't hear any difference in harsh vocals then that's fine. I just didn't want you trying to push opinion like it was fact. That's all man. What do you say we bury the hatchet?
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By HandsomeDead
@MariachiMacabre: No worries, get it all off your chest; if anything, it's good to know metal nerds are as sensitive as ever.
Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By captain_clayman

i love metal but the only progressive metal band i've been into is mastodon.  they're A-MAZING.  

King_Bonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By King_Bonzo
@somnambulist:  does someone really need to state that anything is their opinion? surely if you're stating something it's your opinion by default? even if you're stating it "as fact" the factuality of it is still based in your subjective opinion. This whole "just for the record this is only my opinion" thing that people like James Rolf and Doug Walker put before their top ten videos, "It's your opinion? Well blatantly!" I don't see how it being your opinion makes it any less of a statement in terms of strength and severity. If I say "all puppies should be killed at birth. But that's just my opinion" does that make it less of a horrible thing to say?
"Broken vocals suck" and "Broken vocals suck in my opinion" are completely identical subjective statements; it's just the second is trying, and failing, to sit on the fence
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Example1013
@HandsomeDead said:
" @MariachiMacabre: No worries, get it all off your chest; if anything, it's good to know metal nerds are as sensitive as ever. "
If you ever want reaffirmation, just go read some iTunes reviews for Metallica's black album. Goddamn I didn't think people liking a band called METALLICA, who have an album called KILL 'EM ALL, could cry so much over 20 years after the album was released. They act like someone killed their firstborn or something.
bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By bybeach

I can't handle Devil music

You know, where the singer thinks he's satan. or maybe satan's asshole brother in law. it loses me every time I hear The Voice.. And I burned out on progressive a long time ago.

But back to metal, if there is a hybrid I kind of like it with Psychedelic/hard rock

stubbleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By stubbleman
@King_Bonzo:

No. That's a good point. But I would say there is a meaningful difference between saying something sucks and saying that you don't like something, namely in that you sound like less of a jackass when you say you don't like something. I don't like lasagna. I wouldn't say it sucks though, because that makes me sound like I think I have this magical book that lists everything that's good and everything that's bad. Maybe that's a fault of my own for disliking such qualitative statements about subjective topics.