Any guitarists out there?

SteveMason99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SteveMason99

I've been playing guitar for almost 2 years now and I'm still stranded at the intermediate level because I can never find new things to play. EVerything I fond is either way too hard or too easy meaning I won't improve. If anyone knows of any sweet sounding songs to play at the intermediate level please post :) 

Thanks guys.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Heyo. 

Been playing the electric guitar for over 3 years (September 3rd, 2006), i never took a single lesson. I'm not interested in having a musical background and knowing notes or writing music... 
 The only thing im interested in is playing my favorite rock/metal songs on guitar. And i managed to learn and master, well, over... 2000 songs maybe? who's counting ..  

P.S. during the... lazy depressed year i had, i didnt touch the guitar and i got kinda rusty.. never practiced as much as i should. 

No Caption Provided

@SteveMason99:

In my opinion, the most sweet-sounding and simply immerse and engaging songs to play on guitar are those of Opeth.. their music is beautifully progressive and emotional and hard (by hard i mean heavy). but thats just a personal opinion. 
 I don't really know what to recommend. What do you mean by 'sweet sounding' ?
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By natetodamax

What do you mean by intermediate level? 

I've been playing guitar for 2-3 years now. Didn't really get serious still recently. I think I'm okay; I can't do any crazy solos or anything, but I'm not bad.

SteveMason99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SteveMason99

Sweet sounding = Sounds beautiful or filled with emotion, or funky, impressive... something that just generally sounds cool :) 
Intermediate = Average, not too easy, not too hard :)  

Cheers, I'll try Opeth and see what it's like :)
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By mike
@SteveMason99: Opeth has a ton of fun songs to play. Sometimes it's a little tough to work out what is what because so much is going on, and there is more than one guitar playing on virtually every song. They're my second favorite band next to TOOL.

Check out the album Damnation, it's full of songs that will get you chicks backstage.
SteveMason99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SteveMason99

Hahaha xD Thanks man... second time you've helped me out today >.< 

And wow... that guitar is the same one I have :P
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By natetodamax
@Ahmad_Metallic: I have that same exact guitar.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@MB said:

" Check out the album Damnation, it's full of songs that will get you chicks backstage. "

Someone just had to go there.. always that fucking Damnation smothering all the other progressive masterpieces. WINDOWPANE, DUUUUUUUUDE!  

@SteveMason99:
  The easiest, heaviest, deepest and greatest-sounding Opeth song i learned on guitar is Nectar. Once you get it right and start playing those groovy riffs along with the song you're gonna feel alive. trust me.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#9  Edited By mike
@SteveMason99: Besides damnation, check out The Roundhouse Tapes. It has a good mix of Opeth material spanning numerous albums. 

One of the numerous Opeth shows I went to...these guys are always a blast, and they love San Francisco so they end up chatting about Amoeba music and stuff. Ended up drinking with their road crew and the keyboard player before their last gig at a bar down the street that I always go to. Good times.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@SteveMason99 said:
" And wow... that guitar is the same one I have :P "
@natetodamax said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic: I have that same exact guitar. "

I'm not an expert, but im positive that there are several Fender Stratocaster brands and they all look alike. Mine is, and im not ashamed to say, the cheapest Strat brand "Squier". Check the back on yours and tell me what brand it is.
SteveMason99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SteveMason99

@natetodamax said:

Yeah the Squier does the job to be fair, although pinching is quite difficult on it and the action isn't that great =/ 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Just listened to Nectar, it does sound awesome to be fair. I'll start learning it soon :) 

Thanks guys!!    
Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12  Edited By BulletproofMonk
@MB said:
" @SteveMason99: Opeth has a ton of fun songs to play. Sometimes it's a little tough to work out what is what because so much is going on, and there is more than one guitar playing on virtually every song. They're my second favorite band next to TOOL.  Check out the album Damnation, it's full of songs that will get you chicks backstage. "
What he said. Also, you might wanna check out Deliverance (the song) by Opeth. It might sound difficult when you listen to it, but honestly, it's not tough. It's an excellent song and mad fun to play. 

I've been playing guitar for about 4 years now, and I have Sterling JP50, which is a great guitar, and not that expensive.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By natetodamax
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @SteveMason99 said:
" And wow... that guitar is the same one I have :P "
@natetodamax said:
 I'm not an expert, but im positive that there are several Fender Stratocaster brands and they all look alike. Mine is, and im not ashamed to say, the cheapest Strat brand "Squier". Check the back on yours and tell me what brand it is. "
Mine is a Sunburst Squire. I'm telling you, it's the same thing as yours.
Corpulate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Corpulate

ive been playing around 11 yrs or so my honest to god recommendation it to learn some basic cannibal corpse to get your speed up trust me on this it will help in the long run

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By frankfartmouth

Try to find some more seasoned musicians to jam with. You'll learn more in a month just trying to keep up with a better guitarist than you will in a year of reading tabs. If you stick with it, and really want to learn, you'll meet some people. Just see if they're willing to let you hang around and soak things up. Most good musicians are all about that
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@natetodamax said:
" Mine is a Sunburst Squire. I'm telling you, it's the same thing as yours. "
dats kewl wanna jam then? 

@Corpulate said:
" ive been playing around 11 yrs or so my honest to god recommendation it to learn some basic cannibal corpse to get your speed up trust me on this it will help in the long run "
you scare me.
Corpulate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Corpulate

my one band corpulate is more like technical brutal grind if your into that www.myspace.com/corpulate

SteveMason99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SteveMason99

Well I will also trust the veteran player :) I will find some cannibal corpse aswell :)  

I think my weekend is sorted now =D 

THANKS EVERYONE!  

And yeah mine is also a sunburst squier :) It's cheap but does the job... I'm looking to get an Ibanez RG350DX. My friend has one and when I played it it made me feel awesome >.<
PS3RG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By PS3RG

It's all about the music your into. Learn some scales and modes(ie: major scales, minor scales). It's great practice material and will greatly improve your guitar playing. As for myself, I like metal and blues so I practice some diminished scales(evil sounding) and I youtube some blues backing tracks in different keys and just improv to them.

Avatar image for outofbounds9000
OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

My pics dont work,but mine is a sunburst Les Paul fake from China.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#21  Edited By gla55jAw

I've been playing for 10 years or so. Song wise you really just have to find songs you like. By too hard do you mean the song's have crazy solo's that you would never be able to play? I would say instead of moving on to harder songs, if you can't figure songs out by ear yet, try doing that. That will make you a lot better, even if it takes you all day to figure out half a song. 

Back when I was around your level I tought myself a bunch of As I lay Dying songs - 94 Hours and Elegy off Frail Words Collapse. They sound harder than they actually are.

I guess I'll show off one of my guitars too lol. American Tele Deluxe.

No Caption Provided
Wildfire570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22  Edited By Wildfire570

I've been playing for about 4-5 years, I own a Dean Soltero Standard which is pretty much Dean Guitar's version of a Les Paul

No Caption Provided

As for fun, challenging songs you could always play Joker and the Thief by Wolfmother
OR if your feeling really ballsy you could try The Gargoyle by Paul Gilbert
roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By roofy

i've been playing for 5-6 years now, and im still not very good.

i'm not much of a help to get over this roadblock but what i did was learn all my scales and theory until it wasnt even a second thought.
It gives people the impression that your better than you are because you can just freestyle a song and have it sound really good without much effort.

your best bet for speed/difficulty is some shred metal, but i cant stand that stuff :)

DeadRockstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DeadRockstar

Personally when I was stuck for something to learn I always looked to the classics. Hendrix, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Ozzy Osbourne. The first songs I learned that I'd class as intermediate were probably Sultans of Swing and Sweet Home Alabama.  

PS3RG is right about scales. Even if you only spend 10 minutes a day on them, it'll be worth it. Practicing scales and improvising over a backing track will improve your musicality and timing more than just learning new songs all the time.

Avatar image for deactivated-6256d396c4133
deactivated-6256d396c4133

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been playing since I was 8, so 12 years now.

kingkorn69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By kingkorn69

Dude if it's to hard then keep at it.  No one has ever said that playing and picking it up would be easy.  My thing is when I learn a song I don't care how hard it is as long as I like it and it keeps me coming back.   I have a blue Ibanez GSA60 with a ten watt pratice amp by Ibanez as well

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CL60

Yes

raphaa00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By raphaa00
@Corpulate said:

" my one band corpulate is more like technical brutal grind if your into that www.myspace.com/corpulate "

Hey, very good stuff, although I must confess my personal dislike for this kind of vocals. Nothing wrong, I know it's almost inherent to the style, but I never got it.

Also,  have you ever listened to the brazilian Goregrind band Lymphatic Phlegm? They have a very unorthodox approach to songwriting, with organic, bloated and ubiquity guitar work, making their latest album something unique in the genre.

It's worth listening:

For the OP, I must suggest you start listening to something different than that you are used to. Mahavishnu Orchestra, The Allman Brothers Band and Mars Volta, for example, are all very different bands, with great guitar work that you will probably enjoy.

My B.C. Rich: