Any Scotch-Drinkers on GB?

Pox22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Pox22

For some time, I have considered trying to develop a taste for scotch--a notion that was revived when some awesome user mailed the Giant Bomb crew a bottle of expensive Glenlivet. I then saw a bottle of the very same kind in the pub that I visit occasionally. I usually avoid hard liquor due to its harshness, but I've taken a liking to the imagery of swirling some single malt scotch in a glass tumbler while making toasts to industry. Anyone have some insight as to how to go about enjoying the stuff?

I e-mailed the Bombcast about this, and all I got was "Practice, practice, practice!"

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Ravenlight

You'll never develop anything unless you try out some goddamn scotch! So... go try out some goddamn scotch :)

If you're trying to develop your palate, probably stay away from the top-top-shelf stuff for now and definitely stay away from anything you can buy in a convenience store.

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By david3cm

I say go with Scotch's better looking sister, Whiskey. I find it much easier to drink and it tastes less like cigarettes. And starting by developing a tastes for whiskey may make it easier to then graduate to scotch.

JOURN3Y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JOURN3Y

Welcome fellow Scotch drinker! A knowledge of scotches and the whole whiskey family really will help your appreciation. Learn how the stuff is made, the different ways its flavored and aged. Are you drinking it neat? That is the way I prefer to drink my whiskeys unless they are not aged and cheap.

Pox22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Pox22

I've been reading various articles and forums (and watching ralfystuff's wonderfully addictive videos on youtube). As for how I would drink it, I've read many different opinions. I've been told that it's best neat, that you should add a considerable amount of water at first and slowly add less over time, to only add a few drops, ice, no ice, whiskey stones, whiskey stones are just a gimmick, etc. As for selection, I am considering Glenlivet 12 yr, Glenmorangie 10yr, and Bruichladdie 10yr. These have been suggested to me either because of their accessibility and/or their quality.

Ketchupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Ketchupp

You should probably start with something like J&B before you get into the finer ones. I occasionally drink Rusty Nails and act like Sinatra.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By McGhee

Drink with ice and a good cigar. That's what I use to do quite a bit.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#8  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I used to drink Glenfiddich, but I just can't afford it anymore. All I can tell you is that it's an acquired taste, and to drink it slowly. It's not some college bar shot to be knocked back and forgotten about. Some drinks deserve better than that. Some people will tell you not to drink it on ice, that it'll dilute the flavor, but frankly, that's up to you. I don't honestly care either way, and the only people who would are probably pretentious jerks not worth caring about anyways.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

I'm all about the rakija!

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Toxin066

I'm no connoisseur, but I know what I like. Lately I've been sipping on some Chivas Regal (12yr).

kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By kalmis

@david3cm said:

I say go with Scotch's better looking sister, Whiskey. I find it much easier to drink and it tastes less like cigarettes. And starting by developing a tastes for whiskey may make it easier to then graduate to scotch.

Sorry? That doesn't make any sense. Scotch is just another term for Scottish Whiskey.

My recommendation would be to start with some bourbon like Jack Daniels that tastes somewhat good with Coke and lemon. Then just gradually have less and less coke. Once you get used to the taste. Check out some Scotch's (or malts as we call them here) that has matured in different caskets, like a cherry casket. These are usually bit more drinkable for a beginner. Whatever you do, steer clear off cheap blends.

Vestigial_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Vestigial_Man

I feel a strong sense of pride knowing my area's one notable export is enjoyed worldwide. I have nothing to do with actually making whiskey but it's one of the few notable things about my area.

matti00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By matti00

@kalmis said:

My recommendation would be to start with some bourbon like Jack Daniels that tastes somewhat good with Coke and lemon. Then just gradually have less and less coke. Once you get used to the taste. Check out some Scotch's (or malts as we call them here) that has matured in different caskets, like a cherry casket. These are usually bit more drinkable for a beginner. Whatever you do, steer clear off cheap blends.

I agree with this gentleman, it's fairly difficult to just start drinking whiskey neat, and if I go for any period of time without drinking I tend to lose the taste for it. Once you can get over the harshness though, there are a lot of flavours to appreciate. It'll be worth the effort, and all your friends will think you're a scholar or some shit.

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By david3cm

@kalmis: It may be some sort of colloquialism or just how I have been raised but something like a Wiser's we refer to as Whiskey where as a Glenlivet we call Scotch. And after doing a miniscule amount of research I see how silly my previous statement was.

So let me rephrase: I would start out with Canadian Whiskey, such as a Wiser's, as it is usually smoother than, say, a Scotch.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By BonOrbitz
I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Here it does down, down into my belly.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Example1013

You're getting it from the wrong British Isle.

ItBeStefYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By ItBeStefYo

@david3cm: I'm pretty sure that if it isnt Scotch (Whiskey) Then it is spelt Whisky. Without the e, you see.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

@bonorbitz said:

LastNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By LastNinja

a single cube or just a few drops of water to add some vaporization

Pox22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Pox22

Tried some Chivas Regal 12 yr old--a blended scotch, admittedly. After adding some water, I could certainly see the appeal--the drink has some heat to it, and my first sensation was the flavors of honey and vanilla.

But then it was incredibly harsh for me, with an unpleasant taste. The finish was pleasant, though. Tingly.

My assessment after my first try is that it will be quite a while before I enjoy the entirety of the experience, if ever.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mandude

@ItBeStefYo said:

@david3cm: I'm pretty sure that if it isnt Scotch (Whiskey) Then it is spelt Whisky. Without the e, you see.

Other way around. Not sure why it's spelled differently though.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Example1013

I might try a bottle this weekend. Blended, though, of course. You'd have to be a hardcore scotch drinker to buy a single malt.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MikkaQ

Yeah it's great stuff when enjoyed with good company in the right setting, but when I'm out on the town I'm not going for the fancy stuff. Dirty, filthy rum in spades is plenty fine for me.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ichthy

Don't forget about Canadian whiskys!

phuzzybunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By phuzzybunny

I have acquired quite the palate for scotch. A good scotch to sip on and is not too expensive is Chivas Regal. I always add a couple ice cubes to mine as it seems to add a lot of flavor too it. A majority of places online say to drink it neat and if you don't you're doing it wrong but what do they know.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By Sahalarious

So I stumbled upon this thread, and am curious to see if you're a scotch drinker now or not? I'm obsessed with finding opportunities to suggest whisky, and to have whisky suggested towards me.

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CByrne

It's all about trying as much as you can. It's hard and expensive to do, but here are some of the few I like. All of these except for powers I generally put in a glass on ice.

For Scotch, Glenfiddich 15 year is pretty good. I really like Macallan Sherry Oak 12 Year. These are around $60

For Whiskey. I love Powers Irish Whiskey. My go too, especially with some iced tea (nonsweetened) ($27) Bushmills Honey is nice as well ($22) Crown Royal XO is a fantastically smooth. ($50)

For Bourbon, Makers Mark 46 and Knob Creek single barrel have been good to me. These are around $50

Vamino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I have acquired quite the palate for scotch. A good scotch to sip on and is not too expensive is Chivas Regal. I always add a couple ice cubes to mine as it seems to add a lot of flavor too it. A majority of places online say to drink it neat and if you don't you're doing it wrong but what do they know.

I think the idea of drinking it without ice is that your taste buds aren't as sensitive when something's cold (or hot). So drinking neat or mixed with water if you need to tone it down a bit is generally the recommended method, if you're looking for all the intricate little flavours. I have a bottle of Yamazaki 12yr single malt, and their own recommendations are for mixing with water (they actually go as far as to say "Never ice", though the site shows it in a glass with ice so...)

All that said, I have little actual experience. I'm not much of a drinker, and when I do drink I prefer cider and 'girly' drinks like Baileys with milk and ice. My random exceptions to that are the occasional Gin & Tonic and Makers Mark with Dr Pepper.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would recommend The Balvenie for newcomers. It's not too smokey and have been aged in Sherry oak for some time, making it a bit sweeter and incredibly smooth. Add a few drops of water, no ice or whiskey stones. Small sips, no glugs. Enjoy.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Oh this is an interesting thread. I don't pay much attention to names in alcohol, and don't drink much to begin with. But I have yet to find any whisky or scotch that I didn't at least enjoy a bit. So if you guys could recommend something you like rather than something for newcomer, I'd like to increase my knowledge of brands and types. And maybe find a favorite of my own.

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate the stuff but love this guy.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Yes - I was WHAT at THAT, too.

megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

#32  Edited By megalowho

I realize this is an old thread, but for the OP and any others curious about getting into Scotch, Bourbon and Whiskey in general I suggest doing what me and some friends did. We started up a Whiskey club, where once a month a person hosts and the guests all contribute $25-$30 bucks for the menu. Host picks a theme, the bottles and some snacks and a good night is had by all with as much emphasis placed on the discussion as the debauchery (host usually prepares a presentation of sorts for education purposes).

Over time you learn quite a bit about the drink that way, bottles you might like to own yourself, and what to look out for at bars once you know what you like. I'd hardly consider myself an expert but we've been doing this for nearly 3 years on a close to monthly basis and it's been a fun and rewarding journey.

I'd also suggest the absolutely wonderful series of Whiskey reviews done by Ralfy on YouTube, he's a great educator and has lots to say about just about every dram under the sun at this point. Great if you're looking for more info on a particular brand or bottle.

As far as suggestions for newcomers and all-time favorites - Macallan, Balvenie, Glenrothes and Tomintoul are all nice, sweet malts from Speyside that are easy on the palate. Can't go wrong with a Redbreast 12 if you want the Irish stuff. For a little more complexity I enjoy a Highland Park, Aberlour A'bunadh, Ardmore or Springbank, some international brands like Amrut and Hibiki are worth checking out as well. My favorites are the peaty beasts of Islay, though - Lagavulin, Laphroaig and anything by Ardbeg. Especially the Uigeadail, which is still probably my all time favorite.

Bourbon has a narrower window for flavor profiles and I prefer the single malts above but there's still some bottles out there I swear by - Noah's Mill, Bookers, Michters, Eagle Rare (RIP RTD), Four Roses and of course the ever elusive but transcendent Pappy Van Winkle. Hope this proves useful to some folks, happy drinking!

Pox22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Pox22

I absolutely love that this thread has come back. I am pleased to report to you duders that I have developed quite the taste and appreciation of scotch. On some bombcast, Jeff mentioned that a user approached him with some Yamazaki at a PAX or something. I bought a bottle of the 12-yr and fell in love with it. I've branched out and enjoy Speyside (Glenlivet, Glenfiddich) and Highland (Glenmorangie) whiskeys--among others. I've recently started chatting with my favorite professor about scotch, and he wants me to try peatier brands like Laphroaig.

I'd say that I'm still pretty new and have a lot to learn, but my tastes have broadened and I really appreciate the spirit.

EDIT: Definitely echo the suggestion of just trying many kinds. Obv a glass of scotch at a bar is a little pricey compared to other drinks--but not nearly as expensive as buying a bottle of scotch you end up hating. Try before you buy, and throw down on a bottle you love. I have friends interested in trying scotch, so I keep some brands that are pretty approachable--Glenlivet and Glenfiddich for example. Yamazaki is my favorite so far, and I'm looking to expand my collection with peatier stuff to have a good range.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just to drop my two cents on this, I generally keep a bottle of Glenfiddich 15 year on hand. Sometimes I'm willing to branch out at a nicer restaurant or bar, if the mood is right (i.e.: I'm on a date and trying to impress somebody by drinking Scotch). For the most part, I'm fine with my bottle and not moving onto anything else. It's one of those rare things that's nicely priced for the quality of the drink.

I drink with one piece of some distilled ice. It's clearer, purer, and generally doesn't melt as quickly as ice straight from the tap. It's a bit of a pain to make, so I only keep a few pieces around at a time. This lets me cool the drink, thus taking some of the bite away, but doesn't melt diluting the flavor. I don't really want to buy 'whisky stones' because my roommate had some and their small size results in temperature dispersion more quickly. One large piece of ice is usually perfect. Especially if you drink like me.

Sir_WilliamIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only advice that can be given is that it is an acquired taste. Not everyone when it comes down to it can enjoy scotch, it has gained a reputation of making you apart of a different class. I personally love Scotch, Dewars, Glenlivet Johnnie Walker Platinum etc. Be careful though some of these can run you a pretty hefty price.