Anyone else not like Destructiod and/or Jim Sterling?

• 150 results
Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Neverpraying

I may get a lot of flak for this but I don't like Destructiod at all or their reviewer Jim Sterling. My reasons being nearly every single thread on Destructiod is usually filled with trolls and flaming, plus their reviews are iffy and my least favorite reviewer is Jim Sterling on there, between his really absurd rant videos and some of his reviews seem off. I was wondering if anyone can agree on some of these things; or am I just weird for not liking Destructiod and their reviewer Jim Sterling?

It took some amount of courage to get this opinion out there but now it's out there so that feels kind of good to get it off my chest.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By MiniPato

No, he is universally loved among the gaming community.

Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Neverpraying

@MiniPato said:

Weird.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By 71Ranchero

This is the new "Gamespot sucks".

No I dont like him in the least, however the anti Jim Sterling threads are starting to be even more annoying then the pompous fat ass himself.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By beargirl1

destructoid is okay and i like jim sterling. 

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Still_I_Cry

I have never heard of either one.

I hate them both though because.

Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Neverpraying

@Atramentous said:

This is the new "Gamespot sucks".

No I dont like him in the least, however the anti Jim Sterling threads are starting to be even more annoying then the pompous fat ass himself.

Sorry dude, I just hear so many people say they love him, which I was feeling like I was missing something so came to my favorite gaming community (here obviously) to see if anyone could agree with me.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ShaggE

I have a confession to make...

I don't like Hitler. I know, I know, he had that cool mustache, but guys... he was kind of a dick. Am I alone in thinking this?

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By beforet

Mope! You are the only one, THE ONLY DUCKING ONE, who doesn't like Jim Sterling. Congrats, kid, you are a special little snowflake after all.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By Hailinel

This topic pops up here every other week.

I don't mind Jim Sterling that much. Yeah, his articles can be intentionally inflammatory, but at the same time, they're well written and can often lead to their own good points in their own way.

Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Neverpraying

@ShaggE said:

I don't like Hitler. I know, I know, he had that cool mustache, but guys... he was kind of a dick. Am I alone in thinking this?

lol >_>

@Beforet said:

Mope! You are the only one, THE ONLY DUCKING ONE, who doesn't like Jim Sterling. Congrats, kid, you are a special little snowflake after all.

o_o

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Andorski

Don't follow destructiod at all (although when some of their editors pop up in other podcasts that I listed to, they seem decent), but Jim Sterling is fantastic. I have never read an article of his, but I am such a proponent of getting people angered over the internet for no good reason.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By ajamafalous
@MiniPato said:

Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Neverpraying

@Andorski said:

Don't follow destructiod at all (although when some of their editors pop up in other podcasts that I listed to, they seem decent), but Jim Sterling is fantastic. I have never read an article of his, but I am such a proponent of getting people angered over the internet for no good reason.

meh.

Eh I knew the result of this thread was going to be a lot of people saying they like him, or trying to make a joke out of it, so I'm not surprised or angry at all.

His rant about how Dynasty Warriors being the best game (or how it's really freaking amazing or something along those lines) was bad in my opinion, and several of his reviews.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

@AjayRaz said:

Im more surprised he gave Batman such a good score. I thought he would slam it for the clicks. But err...I think..he must have really liked it or somthing....Im scared....

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@ShaggE said:

Yes.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By august

Jim Sterling is okay. I like him for the same reason I like Giant Bomb, Zero Punctuation and Total Biscuit - they have strong opinions, big personalities and seem like they are actually trying to do something interesting.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MikkaQ

Hating Jim Sterling himself is a bit silly. But his writing? Pretty easy fodder to hate on.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ShaggE

@PeasantAbuse said:

@ShaggE said:

Yes.

:(

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By huntad

@ajamafalous said:

@MiniPato said:

Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Neverpraying

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@AjayRaz said:

Im more surprised he gave Batman such a good score. I thought he would slam it for the clicks. But err...I think..he must have really liked it or somthing....Im scared....

I personally wish he increased his score by .5 points.

@CaLe said:

People who hate on Jim Sterling bore me to no end.

Good thing I don't hate him and I only dislike him TROLOLOLOLO.

but on a serious note I don't like him that much, I don't hate him tho. He just a reviewer with an opinion that I'm not fond of. Nothing to really hate, just not like.

knetic2341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By knetic2341

I like him. He's whole angle always seems to piss off everyone, and he does it well. Some people can't joke.

So no, I find Sterling to be amusing.

Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Neverpraying

@XII_Sniper said:

Hating Jim Sterling himself is a bit silly. But his writing? Pretty easy fodder to hate on.

That is something I can pretty much agree with.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know it just amazes me that he rated 2 kKrby games higher then Gears 3 or Arkham City. Kirbys not bad but I'd personally not rate the games as high as Gears games or Batman. It's just something that I can't wrap my head around that frustrates me. Maybe if I could understand it better I'd like him better.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Three0neFive

I wouldn't be so high and mighty, these forums are pretty shit, too.

Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Neverpraying

@Three0neFive said:

I wouldn't be so high and mighty, these forums are pretty shit, too.

Eh the internet is a pretty shitty place in general, there some cool people on these forums, and I do love the giant bomb staff and mods.

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By awe_stuck

@Neverpraying said:

I may get a lot of flak for this but I don't like Destructiod at all or their reviewer Jim Sterling. My reasons being nearly every single thread on Destructiod is usually filled with trolls and flaming, plus their reviews are iffy and my least favorite reviewer is Jim Sterling on there, between his really absurd rant videos and some of his reviews seem off. I was wondering if anyone can agree on some of these things; or am I just weird for not liking Destructiod and their reviewer Jim Sterling?

It took some amount of courage to get this opinion out there but now it's out there so that feels kind of good to get it off my chest.

I started reading Destructoid when they hired Jim Sterling.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By AngelN7

@Neverpraying said:

His rant about how Dynasty Warriors being the best game

Wait he said that? man I got it all wrong ... Yep just for that now I like Jim Sterling.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheMustacheHero

I think Jim Sterling is hilarious, but he's not professional at all and I wouldn't trust him on reviews or anything gaming related.

Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Neverpraying

@AngelN7 said:

@Neverpraying said:

His rant about how Dynasty Warriors being the best game

Wait he said that? man I got it all wrong ... Yep just for that now I like Jim Sterling.

>___>

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By pw2566ch
Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By Vonocourt

@Vonocourt said:

He's a loud-mouth writer too clever by half. More often than not his articles come off as nothing more than attempts to get a rise out of people. That's whatever, as you read a few and you quickly recognize his game, but it's the article where he tries to play a sympathy card that really annoy me.

Take his recent one about Shadow of the Colossus. Oh, poor Jim Sterling being ostracized for not agreeing with the general consensus.

From here.

Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Neverpraying

@TheMustacheHero said:

I think Jim Sterling is hilarious, but he's not professional at all and I wouldn't trust him on reviews or anything gaming related.

I can somewhat I agree there, I don't have much of a sense of humor but I chuckled at a few things he said when I checked out out a couple of his videos.

@pw2566ch said:

At first I didn't like him. Until I heard a podcast between him and the guy that runs GJAIF. He was incredible. Completely changed my perspective on Jim Sterling.

Here's the podcast I'm talking about. http://www.original-gamer.com/index.php?action=article&id=2081

I'll take a look at it. Thanks for the link.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By Milkman

During that weird middle ground between everyone leaving GameSpot and Giant Bomb's formation, I used Destructoid quite a bit. But I don't think I've visited it at all since Giant Bomb's inception, except when Jim Sterling has something especially ludicrous to say.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Seedofpower

I don't visit the site but I do listen to their podcast. I think Jim Sterling the man is fine, its just the way he comes off that annoys me. He has good insights on the gaming industry but his at times too self absorbed in thinking he is funny and what he says can just come off as irritating.

Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Neverpraying

@Vonocourt:Thanks for that thread (and the comment of course). Interesting opinions going on in it.

hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#36  Edited By hinderk

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@AjayRaz said:

Many of this years biggest games have gotten good scores from Jim this year. Deadspace 2, Portal 2, GOW3, Space marine, resistance 3 and deus ex: Human Revolution all got at least an 8. I honestly don't get why people call him a troll when many of his reviews are around the metacritic average.

Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Neverpraying

@hinderk said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@AjayRaz said:

Many of this years biggest games have gotten good scores from Jim this year. Deadspace 2, Portal 2, GOW3, Space marine, resistance 3 and deus ex: Human Revolution all got at least an 8. I honestly don't get why people call him a troll when many of his reviews are around the metacritic average.

Usually lower then the average actually. That's not trolling tho, that's more of being a reviewer who does not enjoy your average game has much as other reviewers.

rawrnosaurous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By rawrnosaurous

I think we can all agree that it's at least better than Kotaku.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By WickedCestus

He gave Deadly Premonition a 10/10 so he's okay in my books.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I used to read Destructoid regularly, but Jim drove me away. I liked the site otherwise but his posts are always flamebait and his reviews are even worse flamebait.

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Masha2932
@Neverpraying@Neverpraying said:

@Andorski said:

meh.

Eh I knew the result of this thread was going to be a lot of people saying they like him, or trying to make a joke out of it, so I'm not surprised or angry at all.

His rant about how Dynasty Warriors being the best game (or how it's really freaking amazing or something along those lines) was bad in my opinion, and several of his reviews.

I assume you are referring to the jimquisition episode where he calls dynasty warriors the citizen kane of gaming?

To answer your initial question. I don't really like Destructoid, I find the site cluttered and poorly  designed. On the other hand I appreciate  Jim Sterling's strong opinions. His writing is pretty good as well and I find his honest opinions refreshing. 
That been said you are not weird. If you don't like him, that's fine.
Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Neverpraying

@supermike6 said:

He gave Deadly Premonition a 10/10 so he's okay in my books.

Now that's something I can't grasp :(

I don't mind the game mostly because giant bomb did the videos of it, but it's not a perfect game. No offense.

SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Neverpraying: You think that's bad, read his Vanquish review. I dare you.
Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Masha2932
@Neverpraying said:

@XII_Sniper said:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know it just amazes me that he rated 2 kKrby games higher then Gears 3 or Arkham City. Kirbys not bad but I'd personally not rate the games as high as Gears games or Batman. It's just something that I can't wrap my head around that frustrates me. Maybe if I could understand it better I'd like him better.

I'm not defending Jim Sterling but I believe you're not sure how reviews work. Just because Kirby gets a 9/10 and Batman/Gears gets a 8/10 doesn't mean that Kirby is better than Batman or gears. Both games are judged on their own merits. They are completely different games. Kirby is a good platforming side scroller while Gears of War is a great third person shooter, they are not in the same genre at all.
Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Lautaro

@SuperfluousMoniker said:

He gave it a 5 and justified it in the text. Did I miss something?

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BabyChooChoo

How is there another one of these threads up?

Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Neverpraying

@Masha2932 said:

@Neverpraying said:

@XII_Sniper said:

I'm not defending Jim Sterling but I believe you're not sure how reviews work. Just because Kirby gets a 9/10 and Batman/Gears gets a 8/10 doesn't mean that Kirby is better than Batman or gears. Both games are judged on their own merits. They are completely different games. Kirby is a good platforming side scroller while Gears of War is a great third person shooter, they are not in the same genre at all.

Eh I still think Batman should have gotten a 9 from him if anything. and thanks for previously saying that I'm not weird for disliking him.

I did and well >_>

SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Lautaro said:

He gave it a 5 and justified it in the text. Did I miss something?

All his text justified was that he played the game terribly. I recall him complaining about 20 minute boss battles and saying that the Assault Rifle was the best weapon in the game. Those two things are related. He clearly expected it to be just another super easy third person shooter he could play mindlessly and was surprised when the game turned out to actually be challenging.

Edit: It's basically the same story as that infamous IGN review of God Hand. "This game is hard and I don't understand it and don't want to try to learn it so I'm just going to bitch about it and give it a low score." The kind of thing that makes you seriously question someone's taste in video games. Like when Jeff talks about Devil May Cry.
AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AngelN7

@Rawrnosaurous said:

I think we can all agree that it's at least better than Kotaku.

At this point everything is better than Kotaku I don´t even know how their readers can put up with the articles there.

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Masha2932
@Neverpraying said:

@Masha2932 said:

@Neverpraying said:

@XII_Sniper said:

Eh I still think Batman should have gotten a 9 from him if anything. and thanks for previously saying that I'm not weird for disliking him.

I did and well >_>

Don't worry about the score it's just an arbitrary number. 9, 8, 9.56769 they are all pointless since there is no way to quantify opinion.