Anyone else not like Destructiod and/or Jim Sterling?

• 150 results
Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Neverpraying

@Masha2932: Well critic score can determine how well a game sells and if the company decides to make a sequel. For someone like me it's a pointless score since I'll buy a Batman game if it scores well or not. Although for people a game needs a good score in order to buy it. Some people in the comments of Jim review said, that because of Jim only giving it an 8.5 they'd pass on it.

hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#52  Edited By hinderk

@Neverpraying said:

@Masha2932: Well critic score can determine how well a game sells and if the company decides to make a sequel. For someone like me it's a pointless score since I'll buy a Batman game if it scores well or not. Although for people a game needs a good score in order to buy it. Some people in the comments of Jim review said, that because of Jim only giving it an 8.5 they'd pass on it.

It's not Jim's fault that people are idiots.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Meh, I actually got better things to do then hate a guy for his reviews.
Besides, it ain't kotaku, those guys are trying to hard.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By mazik765

@Neverpraying: He's a contrarian because he knows it will get his website hits from angry flamewars. Making posts like this makes him stronger. If you truly dislike Jim Sterling ignore his existence.

Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Neverpraying

@hinderk:True. Still the score was kind of lower compared to how good all other critics said the game is. I shall see for my self soon enough.

@mazik765 said:

@Neverpraying: He's a contrarian because he knows it will get his website hits from angry flamewars. Making posts like this makes him stronger. If you truly dislike Jim Sterling ignore his existence.

Ya I realized that the other day. Kind of scary how many extra views he's getting from making people mad.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#56  Edited By Brendan

I liked the part where the OP totally believed the first response and took it in stride.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#57  Edited By WickedCestus

@Neverpraying said:

@supermike6 said:

He gave Deadly Premonition a 10/10 so he's okay in my books.

Now that's something I can't grasp :(

I don't mind the game mostly because giant bomb did the videos of it, but it's not a perfect game. No offense.

I'm so offended!

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#58  Edited By Lazyaza

Anyone who dislikes Jim Sterling doesn't understand, comprehend nor is worthy of basking in his unrelenting genious.

Oh you probly think I'm joking but I'm dead serious. Also Dynasty Warriors is the Citizen Kane of gaming.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By JasonR86

I'm indifferent about destructiod AND Jim Sterling.

Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Neverpraying

@Lazyaza said:

Anyone who dislikes Jim Sterling doesn't understand, comprehend nor is worthy of basking in his unrelenting genious.

Oh you probly think I'm joking but I'm dead serious. Also Dynasty Warriors is the Citizen Kane of gaming.

I really have no comment here...

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#61  Edited By ch3burashka

@Neverpraying said:

It took some amount of courage to get this opinion out there but now it's out there so that feels kind of good to get it off my chest.

I hope your mother is proud. Absolutely no one cares or will care about your opinion. I'm not trying to be mean; it's true. Stop acting like you did the world a favor.

As for the topic at hand, J Sterling is a fabulous entertainer, much like Yahtzee. However, he has no business reviewing games and ascribing them scores that are considered for Metacritic.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#62  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Jim Sterling is doing his own thing and has unique opinions and is not afraid to express them. I respect that about him. His whole arrogant troll persona does not do it for me through. I know it's a act but he plays it a little too strong for my taste.

Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Neverpraying

@CH3BURASHKA said:

@Neverpraying said:

It took some amount of courage to get this opinion out there but now it's out there so that feels kind of good to get it off my chest.

I hope your mother is proud. Absolutely no one cares or will care about your opinion. I'm not trying to be mean; it's true. Stop acting like you did the world a favor.

As for the topic at hand, J Sterling is a fabulous entertainer, much like Yahtzee. However, he has no business reviewing games and ascribing them scores that are considered for Metacritic.

Never said I did the world a favor, and friends care about my opinion, and some other people ;).

And eh I get burnt out on the trolls so it did take some courage to get my opinion out there.

Lastly I can agree with some of what you said, he can be entertaining just like Yahtzee, then I completely agree with the last bit.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#64  Edited By captain_clayman

he's kind of a douche but i have respect for him.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Lazyaza
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Example1013

NO. HE KILLED MY FIRSTBORN CHILD.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#67  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I like his reviews. 

I feel like sometimes people accuse him of trolling just because he doesn't love a game as much as everyone else does.

Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Neverpraying

@Lazyaza said:

@Neverpraying said:

@Lazyaza said:

I really have no comment here...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/4782-Dynasty-Warriors-Is-The-Citizen-Kane-Of-Gaming

I know.@Example1013 said:

NO. HE KILLED MY FIRSTBORN CHILD.

lol

@FancySoapsMan said:

I like his reviews. I feel like sometimes people accuse him of trolling just because he doesn't love a game as much as everyone else does.

Some of his reviews are alright, and I can pretty much agree with the last part, but some of his reviews do get a tad trollish at times.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#69  Edited By Little_Socrates

I rather like Jim Sterling. Also, he gave Deadly Premonition a 10 out of 10 and came CLOSEST to appreciating why that game is so good.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Lazyaza

Jim Sterling has never trolled a day in his life.

Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Neverpraying

@Little_Socrates said:

I rather like Jim Sterling. Also, he gave Deadly Premonition a 10 out of 10 and came CLOSEST to appreciating why that game is so good.

eh still not a perfect game even getting it a score of 9.5 seems better to me. (I'd personally give it low score, but I did enjoy the run that Giantbomb did of it)

@Lazyaza said:

Jim Sterling has never trolled a day in his life.

Now it's painfully obvious that you're being one of the following, sarcastic, a crazed fan, a troll, or trying to be a comedian.

Anyhow this has been an interesting conversation I guess but I need some sleep night all.

Mentalnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Mentalnova

Last Sterling review I heard was his Gears 3 8/10 which I thought he was being generous with.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Lazyaza

@Neverpraying said:

Now it's painfully obvious that you're being one of the following, sarcastic, a crazed fan, a troll, or trying to be a comedian.

Anyhow this has been an interesting conversation I guess but I need some sleep night all.

Can't I be all 4? so hard to chose!

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#74  Edited By benpicko

No Jim Sterling is great.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#75  Edited By Little_Socrates

@Neverpraying: A ten is not a perfect game. Perfect games are pretty much limited to Tetris and Pac-Man. A ten is a recognition of something truly special and remarkably excellent in the video game world. Giant Bomb's run made that game seem so much more painful to play than it really is, though. Did you play the game yourself?

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I respect Sterling for anything it's at least the feeling that he actually uses the score system correctly, where not everything is entitled to a 7.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Azteck
@ShaggE said:

I have a confession to make...

I don't like Hitler. I know, I know, he had that cool mustache, but guys... he was kind of a dick. Am I alone in thinking this?

He wasn't such a bad guy, I mean after all he killed Hitler.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
Meh, I actually got better things to do then hate a guy for his reviews. Besides, it ain't kotaku, those guys are trying to hard.
You need to see the Destructoid Youtube Channel before you say that. 
swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#79  Edited By swoxx

Dude, nobody likes Jim Sterling. Except Jim Sterling

...and maybe his parents.

maybe.

Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#80  Edited By Bennyishere

Been a fan of Jim for several years now. I enjoy him on the podcasts he is on rather than his personal opinions though, which usually differ from mine. I may not agree with his reviews, but I can't help but fall in love with him when he laughs hysterically at his own offensive jokes.

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By RoyCampbell

Threads like this seem to pop up every week now.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#82  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Everything i know of Jim Sterling is from youtube, and i don't know man. It's just a dude voicing his opinion sometimes he gets it right and sometimes he doesn't. Don't really care either way. Then again, i know he bashed Assassins Creed II in his review so if he was to bash Fallout or S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I'd be pissed.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#83  Edited By beargirl1
@Neverpraying said:

@hinderk said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@AjayRaz said:

destructoid is okay and i like jim sterling.

Im more surprised he gave Batman such a good score. I thought he would slam it for the clicks. But err...I think..he must have really liked it or somthing....Im scared....

Many of this years biggest games have gotten good scores from Jim this year. Deadspace 2, Portal 2, GOW3, Space marine, resistance 3 and deus ex: Human Revolution all got at least an 8. I honestly don't get why people call him a troll when many of his reviews are around the metacritic average.

Usually lower then the average actually. That's not trolling tho, that's more of being a reviewer who does not enjoy your average game has much as other reviewers.

*ahem*  
it's stuff like this that people don't like him for, i guess? 
Avatar image for crabs_on_the_beach
Crabs_on_the_beach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jim's a fat angry english guy that likes to wear chris brown sunglasses but I don't take any offense to him he's just being himself. As for destructoid I think I've been on there site like twice the only thing they put out that I watch regularly is the Dtiod show.

ChernobylCow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 8

#85  Edited By ChernobylCow

I don't like Sterling's writing. I avoid podcast's that he is on.

kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

#86  Edited By kalmis

He is dude with sunglasses and angry fat man syndrome? Not the worst I suppose

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By CptBedlam

Honestly, despite not loving him, I like that he and Destructoid are there. I welcome any influential outlets that mess with those carefully planned metacritic-scores. Publishers and developers are relying way too much on it need to be tought that they shouldn't.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By superfriend

@supermike6 said:

He gave Deadly Premonition a 10/10 so he's okay in my books.

Yeah, that one is the reason I don´t go to Dtoid for reviews. That whole review was basically a giant stand up comedy set. Funny, but not really what I look for in a review.

He´s pretty funny on their podcast, though I have to be in the right mood for all their goofing around (it´s waay less serious than the GiantBombcast).

Destructoid is a pretty cool site with lots of personality and if you ignore the comments on most of their stories, they are actually enjoyable. I liked a lot of the old guys like Nick Chester who left and are being replaced by a lot of new folks with funny names- I mean "Pico Mause"? C´mon that´s no real name, right?

Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Neverpraying

@CptBedlam said:

Honestly, despite not loving him, I like that he and Destructoid are there. I welcome any influential outlets that mess with those carefully planned metacritic-scores. Publishers and developers are relying way too much on it need to be tought that they shouldn't.

You're a cruel person aren't you? I think publishers and developers deserve a good score for their hard work.

@Superfriend: I can at least agree with the first line.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#90  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Love Jim Sterling, very tired of the whole hating on Sterling thing, essentially neutral to most of Destructoid's content.

thisguyrich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By thisguyrich

i think hes hilarious, but a poor writer

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By CptBedlam

@Neverpraying said:

@CptBedlam said:

You're a cruel person aren't you? I think publishers and developers deserve a good score for their hard work.

@Superfriend: I can at least agree with the first line.

I never said good games shouldn't get good scores. I just despise the review/score-management that publishers do for their releases to keep the metacritic score up. And frankly, so many sites use an inflated scoring system and publishers feel too safe with it.

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By lord_canti

i have no opinon on distructoid one way or the other but i rather like jim sterling ...but that may be because ive convinced my self that hes a character

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By TwoLines

Anyone else doesn't like the "Anyone else...?" threads?

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

@Neverpraying said:

@MiniPato said:

No, he is universally loved among the gaming community.

Weird.

I'm pretty sure this was sarcasm. A lot of people hate Jim Sterling, and some love him. I find him interesting that he isn't afraid to give scores whatever he pleases, but I generally disagree with him. I mean he gave Assassins Creed 2 a 4 out of 10 for God's sake.

Tobli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Tobli

I kinda like Jim. His personality is a large part of why podtoid became my one of my favorite podcasts. I can see why the "7-10 is the entire scale 1-10 scale" crowd might dislike him though or people that are easily offended for other reasons.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By kishinfoulux

@Hellstrom said:

Destructoid & 1up have the worst community of any video game site. Followed by IGN & N4G.

Actually Dtoid has a pretty cool community that regularly meet up and hang out and stuff. Don't speak on things you have no knowledge about.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By laserbolts

He gave Deadly Premonition a 10/10.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By laserbolts
@Little_Socrates

@Neverpraying: A ten is not a perfect game. Perfect games are pretty much limited to Tetris and Pac-Man. A ten is a recognition of something truly special and remarkably excellent in the video game world. Giant Bomb's run made that game seem so much more painful to play than it really is, though. Did you play the game yourself?

Sorry to cut in here but I played it and it absolutely is as painful as it seemed. It controls like shit, the driving is boring and terrible, the quick time events are dumb. The only good thing I can say about it is the story is ok. Not to mention it looks worse than a ps1 game. I guess it all depends on how into the story you get.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

His whole "shtick" is basically "My opinion is definitive, the word of God. I have built this image of a raving lunatic who holds his opinions above all others. It's all a joke, though, so if you say so much as anything in disagreement you're overreacting and a faggot." I just hate that whole attitude. We get it, you're a nerd, you're loud, and you're obnoxious. We fucking get it.