Anyone else not like Destructiod and/or Jim Sterling?

• 150 results
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#101  Edited By Jeust

I'm not a Jim fan.

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#102  Edited By WightnNerdy

I'm more worried about his personal health, to be honest. Dude is super out of shape.

CrimsonNoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#103  Edited By CrimsonNoir

He's just a contrarian, the only way he can stand out.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#104  Edited By shivermetimbers

We seem to get one of these threads every 3 days now. Jim Sterling is having fun, which is more than I can say for most reviewers.

Wadawoodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#105  Edited By Wadawoodo

@Hellstrom said:

Destructoid & 1up have the worst community of any video game site. Followed by IGN & N4G.

The Dtoid community happens to be some of the nicest people I have ever had the pleasure to meet, In fact i'm moving in with two of them next month.

Wadawoodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Wadawoodo

I have nothing but respect for Jim and I value his opinion and find him hilarious.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#107  Edited By Little_Socrates

@laserbolts: I take no issue with someone saying those things, though I had no personal issues with the controls. They're extremely stiff, but they definitely worked for what the game wanted me to be able to do. The quick-time events...as in the chase sequences? I still think the first two of those were pretty effective, but after that they certainly became a bit repetitive.

It certainly doesn't look worse than a PS1 game, though. A DreamCast game, maybe, but only in places; the character models are definitely current-gen, while the vehicles and buildings are easily PS2/DreamCast. The ground textures are about on par with a PS1/N64 game, though. Some PS1 games are perhaps more visually cohesive, but this is much higher fidelity.

Thing is, I don't think I'd give Deadly Premonition a 10 out of 10, but the only game that even close to earns that from last year is Super Meat Boy. That said, I think Deadly Premonition is still the best game of last year, and one of my favorites ever. Other than Super Meat Boy (and maybe Amnesia, though not necessarily for its merits) I'll eventually forget most of the details of the other games from last year.

Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#108  Edited By Neverpraying

@Wadawoodo said:

@Hellstrom said:

Destructoid & 1up have the worst community of any video game site. Followed by IGN & N4G.

The Dtoid community happens to be some of the nicest people I have ever had the pleasure to meet, In fact i'm moving in with two of them next month.

I apologize that was kind of rude of me. I bet the people you're moving in with are great. Just some of the general community and people who comment on articles seemed like jerks.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By napalm

This thread? Again?

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Harkat

He's like Yahtzee, Greg Miller, The Nostalgia Critic and any other larger-than-life entertainment commentator in their output becomes more about playing a character than it does about fairly assessing a topic. Jim isn't as bad as the other three I named, but he still grates on me.

It's one of the reasons I like GB. It's games first, funny personalities second.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By kishan6

@Atramentous said:

This is the new "Gamespot sucks".

No I dont like him in the least, however the anti Jim Sterling threads are starting to be even more annoying then the pompous fat ass himself.

Seesic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Seesic

I like Jim, but I can understand that people would find him caustic though but he's unique and i like that. And yeah I like destructoid and a lot of the people who write there.

kidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By kidman

I love the fact that there are some websites and reviewers who are not afraid to troll people cause..why not? I also like his vocabulary, being a non-english speaker I appreciate some of the more british adjectives he's using. It's good that someone like him is a part of gaming-websites world (if you can call it that).

bayushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#114  Edited By bayushi

I like D-Toid and Jim IS pretty spot on with his writing. That being said, I cannot stand his persona.

MMM Persona 3 Fes/4/2 on the PSP *drool*

*SQUIRREL!

Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Neverpraying

Metacritc has users that make Troll Reviews, which is worse then Jim.

Before I was like eh his reviews are iffy, but they are not even close to as bad as some user reviews on Metacritic.

Ben99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Ben99

Never heard of him . He must be famous among gamers apparently .

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#117  Edited By delta_ass

@Ben99 said:

He's actually pretty big.

SniperXan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By SniperXan

I used to follow Destructoid all the time, but more and more i find they lack any sort of professionalism at all. Especially the reviews. I love goofiness and all that jazz but when Jim has a regular feature showing off the the sweet swag he got from a publisher..or the fact that they review games with the purpose of being the top/bottom Metacritic score in a desperate attempt to say "Look over here!" It's just sad. I love me all kinds of Whiskey Media though, don't need that other trash :D

zakkro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#119  Edited By zakkro

Much like Kotaku, I frequently go to Destructoid, but I don't really like it. I just find it OK. As for Jim Sterling, I have no strong opinion of him one way or the other.

Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Neverpraying

@Delta_Ass said:

@Ben99 said:

He's actually pretty big.

Is that a pun/joke? o.O

SniperXan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By SniperXan

@Ben99 said:

More like infamous. He is the review editor at destructoid.com and tends to give games lower then average scores (or higher then average). He recently gave Batman: Arkham City an 8.5, this has the internet in a tizzy.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#122  Edited By Lazyaza

@SniperXan said:

@Ben99 said:

More like infamous. He is the review editor at destructoid.com and tends to give games lower then average scores (or higher then average). He recently gave Batman: Arkham City an 8.5, this has the internet in a tizzy.

Yahoo referred to him as "a villain" for daring to give Arkham City an 8.5. Made me laugh.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#123  Edited By kagato

Jim has his moments but he is a bit of a jackass, and he knows it. Hes still way better than Kotakus Brian Ashcraft, now theres a guy thats way more annoying and self important than Jim, except he dosent know it. You dont need to be going to other webpages anyway, Giantbomb has what you want right here ^_^

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Hourai

@SniperXan said:

@Ben99 said:

Man, I hate that shit. I hate how modern review scales operate. An 8.5 is a great score and is commendable for any game. What the hell is the difference between an 8.5 and a 9.5? Why does a 7.5 suddenly mean a game is mediocre now? Goddamn.

theodacourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#125  Edited By theodacourt

@Hourai said:

@SniperXan said:

@Ben99 said:

Man, I hate that shit. I hate how modern review scales operate. An 8.5 is a great score and is commendable for any game. What the hell is the difference between an 8.5 and a 9.5? Why does a 7.5 suddenly mean a game is mediocre now? Goddamn.

I don't know if you're referencing what actually happened after he gave GoW 3 an 8/10, but he did write a piece for another site complaining about how 8 is a good score and people should stop giving AAA titles a 10 before they've played it. Fair point in my opinion.

He has made interesting points but they're spaced thinly amongst content I personally see as pointless, much the same to Destructoid as a whole. They just churn out too much stuff for it all to be good I guess, but they do have to get those advertising bucks so they don't really have a choice. I will say some of the stuff is really great though, especially guest editorials. I used to LOVE HAWP.

As for Jim Sterling's personality, I don't like it. He's seems like he's too busy trying to be the Jeremy Clarkson of video games and being a bit of a internet supah-stah as opposed to being himself. I could be wrong though, but that would mean I don't like him as himself which is a shame for him, but I'm sure he doesn't care. Like Jeff said at Jar Time, you really can't in that line of work.

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#126  Edited By metalmoog

Jim Sterling is as shiny as his namesake. I actually like him better than 90% of the nerdy video game reviewers internet wide. Why must they all be so goddamn nerdy?!

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Karl_Boss

Jim Sterling purposely scores games lower to troll people like you who look into scores too much and I think it funny.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By soldierg654342

Pretty much everything he does is taking the piss, which is something I can get behind.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By NegativeCero

I think the games press would be a lot more boring if it weren't for people like Jim Sterling having the balls to have an actual opinion. I can't say I agree with him on everything, but he does support his arguments well. Also, if you don't like Destructoid's reviews, you probably shouldn't bother at all since Jim is Reviews Editor over there.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By AngelN7

@zakkro said:

Much like Kotaku, I frequently go to Destructoid, but I don't really like it. I just find it OK. As for Jim Sterling, I have no strong opinion of him one way or the other.

I used to do that I visited Kotaku just because they get the news pretty fast even tough I hated everything about the site... stopped doing that long ago I just couldn´t bear the editorial in that site and the awful community.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#131  Edited By ThePickle

I still have no idea who Jim Sterling is, or why I should care about him.

Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Neverpraying

http://www.gamekult.com/jeux/test-batman-arkham-city-SU00007326t.html?pf=playstation-3-160032

I can't read the review but I will glare at that at >_>

before I was glaring at Jim Sterling's review on Destructiod of 8.5, came to terms with it but that 8 shall remain glared at xD

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By ExplodeMode

I think he's okay.  He's got a unique voice and it would be pretty boring if he was just another parrot.  It's the same reason I like Giantbomb.

faustyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#134  Edited By faustyn

@Neverpraying said:

@hinderk said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@AjayRaz said:

destructoid is okay and i like jim sterling.

Im more surprised he gave Batman such a good score. I thought he would slam it for the clicks. But err...I think..he must have really liked it or somthing....Im scared....

Many of this years biggest games have gotten good scores from Jim this year. Deadspace 2, Portal 2, GOW3, Space marine, resistance 3 and deus ex: Human Revolution all got at least an 8. I honestly don't get why people call him a troll when many of his reviews are around the metacritic average.

Usually lower then the average actually. That's not trolling tho, that's more of being a reviewer who does not enjoy your average game has much as other reviewers.

it's not 'being a reviewer who does not enjoy games as much as others' but just being a critic. it's his own opinion. Jeff absolutely loved Batman, Jim thought it was amazing but had some flaws + he got really pissed of by the Catwoman situation. Jim is trolling a lot but not in his reviews. He's just using the whole scale.

No Caption Provided

@SniperXan said:

I love goofiness and all that jazz but when Jim has a regular feature showing off the the sweet swag he got from a publisher..or the fact that they review games with the purpose of being the top/bottom Metacritic score in a desperate attempt to say "Look over here!" It's just sad. I love me all kinds of Whiskey Media though, don't need that other trash :D

yeah. that's fuckin stupid! whiskeywouldneverdosomethinglikethat. i don't know what's the big deal with that anyways. it's just swag that all of the press gets. Jim is just showing it off for anyone interested in seeing it. and the metacritic thing you wrote...i know it's hard to believe but some people might hate stuff that you love. for example i absolutely love Arkham Asylum, but my friend has a different opinion. we agreed that the GAMEPLAY portion is brilliant, but he couldn't care less about the story and because of that he didn't enjoy the game as much as i did. people have different tastes, that's all.

Klaimore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Klaimore

Desructoid is cool and though I may disagree with some of Jim's points of view I do the same with the gb crew.

Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Neverpraying

@faustyn:So he really liked a game then reviewed it as average? o.O When I really like a game I review it as good if not really good >_>

That's calling Arkham City average, the game is above average, the only reasonable sane complaints have been things like, how the Riddler challenges are more skill this time and less mental, and the game is a little oddly paced, like how you may get really wrapped into the story then oh a side mission pops up and distracts you. I personally don't count the Catwoman thing as a reasonable complaint, because you can buy the game new and get it, or used at gamestop and both out comes get the code, or if you buy it used else where the Catwoman stuff is not really needed but if you really really like the game you can just buy it, sure the fact that they did not include the Catwoman stuff in game is stupid but it does not make the game stupid, or any less in my opinion.

Also you may note I said "sane" complaints, those were logical complaints, what are the non logical ones? Someone said this is basically Arkham Asylum that's harder to get around with new crappy gadgets, how is that not logical? Complaining about that is not logical because the game is a sequel so yes it will be very similar to the one before it, but instead it'll add new features and adjust things to make them more enjoyable, and have a new plot that continues the old one, that's like complaining all the die hard movies are similiar. Harder to get around? The developers said this will be an open world 5times larger then Arkham City with much more to do...so ya it's harder to get around, that's a stupid complaint because the person is just lazy, people like my self and numerous other people I know enjoy an open world environment with lots to do. Next matter new crappy gadgets? If you call a smoke pellet that allows you to get away from foes, a freeze grenade that freezes some foes that also makes water platforms, a gadget that disarms foes with guns without them knowing and some other gadgets crappy then I guess that's a good solid complaint... Someone called the game to silly and the chatter that you over hear from enemies is childish, and how they are an adult and would not stand for it, the person obviously making a stupid complaint and is an obvious troll.

Anyhow I'm done with my rant about Arkham City, needed to get that out of my system sorry. The massive build up from really bad complaints in reviews that give the game 4/10 or 6/10 had me needing to release some of that.

faustyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#137  Edited By faustyn

@Neverpraying said:

@faustyn:So he really liked a game then reviewed it as average? o.O When I really like a game I review it as good if not really good >_>

That's calling Arkham City average, the game is above average, the only reasonable sane complaints have been things like, how the Riddler challenges are more skill this time and less mental, and the game is a little oddly paced, like how you may get really wrapped into the story then oh a side mission pops up and distracts you. I personally don't count the Catwoman thing as a reasonable complaint, because you can buy the game new and get it, or used at gamestop and both out comes get the code, or if you buy it used else where the Catwoman stuff is not really needed but if you really really like the game you can just buy it, sure the fact that they did not include the Catwoman stuff in game is stupid but it does not make the game stupid, or any less in my opinion.

Also you may note I said "sane" complaints, those were logical complaints, what are the non logical ones? Someone said this is basically Arkham Asylum that's harder to get around with new crappy gadgets, how is that not logical? Complaining about that is not logical because the game is a sequel so yes it will be very similar to the one before it, but instead it'll add new features and adjust things to make them more enjoyable, and have a new plot that continues the old one, that's like complaining all the die hard movies are similiar. Harder to get around? The developers said this will be an open world 5times larger then Arkham City with much more to do...so ya it's harder to get around, that's a stupid complaint because the person is just lazy, people like my self and numerous other people I know enjoy an open world environment with lots to do. Next matter new crappy gadgets? If you call a smoke pellet that allows you to get away from foes, a freeze grenade that freezes some foes that also makes water platforms, a gadget that disarms foes with guns without them knowing and some other gadgets crappy then I guess that's a good solid complaint... Someone called the game to silly and the chatter that you over hear from enemies is childish, and how they are an adult and would not stand for it, the person obviously making a stupid complaint and is an obvious troll.

Anyhow I'm done with my rant about Arkham City, needed to get that out of my system sorry. The massive build up from really bad complaints in reviews that give the game 4/10 or 6/10 had me needing to release some of that.

since when 8,5/10 is an average? it's a great score and even DC recognizes it as a positive one (link). i know that sites like IGN, GameSpot and Gametrailers, are the reason why everyone thinks that if a game is awesome it automatically means it should get a 10/10, but some people still use the whole review scale. EDGE is a great example of a magazine that still gives a shit about this stuff. Yahoo on the other hand, is a great example of a site that is trying to fuck it up even more (6/5 for Arkham City).

The catwoman stuff is annoying to Jim (at least according to his review and twitter feed) not because it kinda ruins the pacing of the game, but because it is an inconvenience for the customers, and he is one of them. you can't play your video game after putting the disc in. you have to enter a code, then download the content and after that you get to play. even though you bought the original copy, for your money, you're still treated like shit and have to jump through different hoops to enjoy your game. that's his complaint. i personally couldn't care less about entering codes since i buy all my games new, (there are only a couple of places in Warsaw with used games and the prices are stupid) but i can see how people can be furious about it.

btw. someone really gave batman 4/10?! can you give me a link?

Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Neverpraying

@faustyn: on your modern review scale it says 8 is average maybe I was misunderstanding that

Also here http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/batman-arkham-city/user-reviews this is what I'm talking about the absurdly stupid user reviews of 2 0/10 reviews and 2 4/10 reviews and a 6/10 review.

TYUI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By TYUI

Always found Destructoid to be an okay site.

As for Jim Sterling, he often makes valid points, despite the fact that sometimes he creates what are basically flamebait articles when he feels strongly about something. Regardless, the man himself can be prove to be quite the eloquent writer when he chooses to be and has produced some good work in the past. I especially liked his episode of Jimquisition where he dealt with the ridiculous Hydrophobia review backlash.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By kingzetta

me and him are on the same DW team, but I don't like any other part of him

Volgin13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#141  Edited By Volgin13

I met Jim Sterling once. He was a joy to talk to! I love the guy, but I can understand why others may get mad at him. His brutal honesty is sometimes too much for people to handle, but at least he tells it like it is.

Mageman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Mageman

@Volgin13 said:

I met Jim Sterling once. He was a joy to talk to! I love the guy, but I can understand why others may get mad at him. His brutal honesty is sometimes too much for people to handle, but at least he tells it like it is.

His brutal honesty is at times just him playing the devil's advocate.

He simply likes to argue and discuss things for the sake of arguing and seem a bit ''edgy''. I don't really like the fat bastard but I don't really hate him.

minotaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By minotaka

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@AjayRaz said:

destructoid is okay and i like jim sterling.

Im more surprised he gave Batman such a good score. I thought he would slam it for the clicks. But err...I think..he must have really liked it or somthing....Im scared....

Couldn't agree more.

ABritishNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By ABritishNerd

@ShaggE said:

I have a confession to make...

I don't like Hitler. I know, I know, he had that cool mustache, but guys... he was kind of a dick. Am I alone in thinking this?

Adolf think you are :P

OT: I love Jim but I'm not a big destructoid fan, I watch Jimquisition on The Escapist.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#145  Edited By falling_fast

Jim Sterling jumped the shark when he gave Deadly Premonition a 10 out of 10.

that said, I still do respect the man's opinions. He may be presenting his views in a way designed to annoy people, but that doesn't make his points any less valid.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By DrPockets000

Don't pay any attention to him generally, but I was under the impression that pretty much everyone hated him.

Avatar image for deactivated-58f9a027d9bbc
deactivated-58f9a027d9bbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thanks to escapist the only thing that pops out in my mind when mentioning Jim Sterling is that drill queen song...

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#148  Edited By owl_of_minerva

I don't think he's worth hating or paying much mind. If you are then you're giving him what he wants: page views, controversy, etc. This thread just makes him stronger. I really hated what I saw of his weekly show on The Escapist, but at least his reviews go from 1-10, which is more than can be said for most review sites.

Dookysharpgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#149  Edited By Dookysharpgun

I like Jim, and Destructoid is actually a pretty decent site.

The one thing that made Jim a legend in my eyes is his secondary 'unbiased' review of FFXIII. If there's any way to answer critics of your work, it's his example that should be set as standard.

To be fair though, a lot of his reviews spark the right kind of controversy, as we seen with Cliffy B and his his public panty-bunching at the 8/10 review for Gears of War 3. We seen the ridiculous self-entitled attitude of developers, the relative insanity of fans, and the stupidity of this new scaling system someone previously provided here. Say what you will about him, his thoughts on online passes were pretty much spot on, especially when it came to the Arkham City fiasco, the latest in quite a few trip-ups in the industry. Say what you will about him, Destructoid or his persona, he does good work, and is intelligent enough to understand, and come up with solutions to, some of the industries more technical and touchy problems.

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who?