Appropriate to wear "F**k Ryan Davis" shirts to PAX?

• 148 results
Avatar image for killroycantkill
killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

I don't think that it would be a good idea. But I think for exactly that reason Ryan might approve.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I'd probably change into that shirt in time for the panel or probably just wear a hoodie or jacket over if i'll be walking around with it on the floor

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#103  Edited By musubi

@gamer_152: Well, honestly, isn't being an asshole the entire point of that shirt?

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#104 gamer_152  Moderator

@demoskinos said:

@gamer_152: Well, honestly, isn't being an asshole the entire point of that shirt?

I don't really think so. The joke of the shirt was sort of Ryan's expense, but it's not as if Ryan would really have been offended by it, it's just a good-natured joke. If you're somewhere with your kid and someone is walking around with a shirt with the word "Fuck" on it however, that's a whole different business.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Hey, man! Do what'chu gotta do. If you wanna wear the shirt, then you better wear that thing with pride and shit; I assume that it'll turn a couple of heads/make some folks do a double-take, so if that sort of attention isn't your cup of tea, consider looking into an alternative.

Since I'm, well, me, I can tell you that I wouldn't wear the shirt in public. I have nothing against cursing (I can do my fair share when I'm ready), but it's a helluva lot easier to control my potty mouth than it is to cover up/explain a shirt with a giant "FUCK" on the front. First impressions are a big thing to me, so uh, yeah. Just some thoughts from a guy named "Flappy" on the internet.

Eviternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I thought this problem had been solved on the forums previously, just use tape:

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People think way too much.

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is why I bought the china don't care shirt instead

biggiedubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By biggiedubs

@ninessc2 said:

People think way too much.

I'm not sure why thinking about whether or not what you plan to do is disrespectful is 'too much.' It sounds like exactly the right amount of thinking to me.

I probably wouldn't wear it, and I wouldn't ask any questions about Ryan in the Q&A, but I imagine people will do both. It's the internet ideology that you deserve to do anything and to know everything, I guess. These are extraordinary circumstances, though, and we've got no idea how people will react to it, so I don't think it's so 'PC bullshit' to err on the side of caution.

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I love how everyone is forgetting that he's bringing this shirt to a place where dickwolves who rape people were invented. Clearly that is within the limits while the word FUCK is not. Love Americans, just love em.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By fattony12000
Loading Video...

I think everyone should do the Trenched salute instead.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#113  Edited By Jimbo

@mistzero said:

@jimbo said:

This thread would make ghost Ryan Davis throw up in his mouth.

I think Ryan would be more disappointed if people didn't wear it thinking it might be offensive, seems to me it would be something he would support.

That's what I meant.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gamer_152 said:

@demoskinos said:

I don't really think so. The joke of the shirt was sort of Ryan's expense, but it's not as if Ryan would really have been offended by it, it's just a good-natured joke. If you're somewhere with your kid and someone is walking around with a shirt with the word "Fuck" on it however, that's a whole different business.

I'd only think that if I went to a place where kids live in bubbles, literal bubbles where the only thing they see out of it is sunshine and rainbows and all swear words get translated into loving words of encouragement.

Avatar image for deactivated-6157afb2b3c07
deactivated-6157afb2b3c07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Can someone explain what the comma was adding to the shirt, because maybe I am an idiot, but I couldn't understand it. Was it like saying, "Fuck man! Ryan Davis." like why did he have to leave us? Or was it, "Fuck, Ryan Davis" like he said that, just without the quotation marks? Or was it, "Fuck, Ryan Davis!!!!!" like he just did some shenanigans or something? If someone could clear up my confusion and aid my understanding, that would be very appreciate. Thanks.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#116  Edited By GERALTITUDE

@hailinel said:

@geraltitude: People that don't visit Giant Bomb and have no clue that the shirt is an inside joke. Not everyon at PAX will be "in the know."

Yeah I know that duder, but so what? Most people who are big Ryan Davis fans will understand the shirt. Many people will have no idea who he is and so not get the shirt at all. The group in the middle, that knows who he was, knows that he passed, but don't about the shirt isn't the group that should dictate how GB users carry themselves.

Lab392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Lab392

I don't think it was ever appropriate to wear a shirt with the word "Fuck" on it. But hey.

Make one of the aforementioned edits or, if you don't feel comfortable, just don't wear it. No need to make yourself self-conscious with something you're unsure about.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

If you're concerned about whether its okay to wear it, then you're concerned about it becoming a problem, right? Do you want your PAX experience to be about PAX, or about the shirt your wearing? Whether or not you think its ultimately "okay", if you're not sure its going to fly but you're still willing to wear it then your kind of putting your PAX experience in the backseat in favor of your self-expression activism thing. That doesn't sound like a fun time.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 BisonHero  Online

@mrpilkington said:

Can someone explain what the comma was adding to the shirt, because maybe I am an idiot, but I couldn't understand it. Was it like saying, "Fuck man! Ryan Davis." like why did he have to leave us? Or was it, "Fuck, Ryan Davis" like he said that, just without the quotation marks? Or was it, "Fuck, Ryan Davis!!!!!" like he just did some shenanigans or something? If someone could clear up my confusion and aid my understanding, that would be very appreciate. Thanks.

I read it as "Fuck, [it was too soon for] Ryan Davis [to go]", but it's sorta open to interpretation. It's part of the reason I didn't get the shirt: I think it just requires too much explanation for people to even get the sentiment, since it's a memorial layered on top of a weird inside joke that only existed for a week or two.

I still wish they would do some other, better thought out Ryan Davis memorial fund, but maybe they can't for legal or respect-the-wishes-of-the-family reasons.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By hatking

@agoaj said:

Wear a tube top over the shirt so you can adjust the message as necessary.

I like this idea.

I don't think it would be a big deal to wear it, other than the children thing. Not that any kids there won't be exposed to that sort of language anyway. I probably wouldn't wear the shirt in public, just because people who wear shirts with giant swear words on them tend to be... gross.

UncleBenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It's never appropriate to publicly wear a shirt with the word "FUCK" on it.

Pretty much that, and considering that PAX may have children in attendance it may not be such a good idea...

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spoonman671 said:

Pretty much that, and considering that PAX may have children in attendance it may not be such a good idea...

This. People keep going on about how you shouldn't be scared to wear what you want in public, or that you need to man up if you aren't comfortable wearing that shirt in public. I don't think they're really thinking the problem through enough.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Missacre

@deegee said:

@unclebenny said:

@spoonman671 said:

This. People keep going on about how you shouldn't be scared to wear what you want in public, or that you need to man up if you aren't comfortable wearing that shirt in public. I don't think they're really thinking the problem through enough.

Yeah, it seems like those people just want to be edgy for the day and get some looks. They SAY they're trying to honor that Ryan guy's memory or whatever, but really, it seems like they're doing it for themselves with how much they complain about people against wearing that shirt. If they really wanted to honor his memory, they should donate money or find a way to help his family, instead of wearing some dumbass shirt that says FUCK on it. If the shirt didn't have FUCK on it, this thread wouldn't be 3 pages long.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#125  Edited By Hunter5024

Why does everyone think it's such a big deal for kids to read the word Fuck?

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Chop

I'd wear it, but apparently that makes me a classless ass who hates children, so yeah.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the same reason cursing is bleeped out on TV and we have age ratings on things?

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunter5024 said:

For the same reason cursing is bleeped out on TV and we have age ratings on things?

Hearing it is not the same as reading it, and I would argue that in terms of language age ratings are way too strict. Why is it that 13 year olds curse like sailors, but PG-13 movies cant get away with more than 1 or 2 uses of the word fuck?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@strainedeyes said:

@hunter5024 said:

Hearing it is not the same as reading it, and I would argue that in terms of language age ratings are way too strict. Why is it that 13 year olds curse like sailors, but PG-13 movies cant get away with more than 1 or 2 uses of the word fuck?

Because it's a rude word, no matter how casually it's used.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

I sure if Ryan were here, he would say "Go for it!" - and as a fan of GB, who knows what you mean by wearing it, I wouldn't be offended.

However -

It will be very easy for people to not understand what that shirt means. It would be very easy for people to take it the wrong way, and you should expect some people to take it the wrong way. You mean well - but people can't read your mind. You're taking a risk by wearing it.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

That was really great, man.

HellknightLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zacagawea: Oh my God you are awesome. This is the best. Any other day I would tell you to die and get set on fire and that your comment is a waste of time. You enter just to say this tread sucks and give no point what so ever. Priceless! But... and this is a big "but" (heheh) you support GiantBomb... so... all I will say is. "Oh... you comment is... nice"

Tackchevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's just not a very "appropriate" shirt. So if you ever plan on wearing it anywhere ever, PAX is probably one of the better options. If you can't wear it there, you can't wear it anywhere.

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Personally I wouldn't wear a shirt with an f-bomb, but the F Ryan thing was a joke that he was in on. It's still a joke. Although I drop my share of f-bombs the public display of the word does offend some people. People not offended by the f-bomb but offended by F RD (because he's not here…) need to remember Ryan's sense of humor.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@hunter5024 said:

@strainedeyes said:

@hunter5024 said:

"Stupid" and "Ugly" are rude words, we don't censor them.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@hunter5024 said:

@strainedeyes said:

@hunter5024 said:

"Stupid" and "Ugly" aren't considered profanities.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By DeeGee

I honestly wonder if people would be so quick to brush off kids seeing the shirt if it had "cunt" on, or some other profanity. Actually forget I said that, I can already hear people trying to justify why fuck is much more kid friendly.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcghee said:

@mattyftm said:

It's totally inappropriate - and Ryan would have loved the inappropriateness of it.

Exactly, so he should wear it. I would.

I agree with this. Think of it like this: would Ryan have worn the shirt?

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@hunter5024 said:

@hailinel said:

@hunter5024 said:

@strainedeyes said:

@hunter5024 said:

Why not? Why is Fuck more profane? I'd rather have someone walk up to me and say "Fuck you" then have them say "You're Ugly."

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably not for PAX like people have said, it's out of context and makes you look like a dick when you're probably not. I totally think the shirt is fine though, I wish I had one. I kinda think of it like "Fuck Ryan Davis... (motherfucker had to leave us!)"

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@hunter5024 said:

@hailinel said:

@hunter5024 said:

@strainedeyes said:

@hunter5024 said:

Why not? Why is Fuck more profane? I'd rather have someone walk up to me and say "Fuck you" then have them say "You're Ugly."

It's not my decision. That's what society has deemed.

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought this problem had been solved on the forums previously, just use tape:

No Caption Provided

why does that look like " I FUCK RYAN DAVIS" to me? lol

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcghee said:

@fattony12000 said:
Loading Video...

That was really great, man.

Thanks! Would you like to know more? Then go over here! x

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#146  Edited By alexl86

So... You're all worried about kids seeing this? I'm sorry, but PAX have public demos of violent games, an entire section devoted to table tops that by some is considered instruments of Satan, and you're worried some kids might see the word "fuck". *gasp*

Where are your priorities? Of all the swears you could say, it's the only one, in context of the word's literal meaning, that's actually beautiful. It's not like you're comparing him to fecal matter or hope he has a terrible afterlife.

As for the inappropriateness in relation to Ryan, the people who will be "offended" are probably people who don't know, and at that point I'd ask, why are you offended?

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Missacre

@alexl86 said:

So... You're all worried about kids seeing this? I'm sorry, but PAX have public demos of violent games, an entire section devoted to table tops that by some is considered instruments of Satan, and you're worried some kids might see the word "fuck". *gasp*

Where are your priorities? Of all the swears you could say, it's the only one, in context of the word's literal meaning, that's actually beautiful. It's not like you're comparing him to fecal matter or hope he has a terrible afterlife.

As for the inappropriateness in relation to Ryan, the people who will be "offended" are probably people who don't know, and at that point I'd ask, why are you offended?

So you think that being a decent and respectful human being isn't a priority? Sure, lots of people might not be offended by it, but it's probably better to not test it, than to be potentially kicked out for wearing something offensive. Besides, you should know better than to wear a shirt that says FUCK in public. If you don't, then you should probably go outside more often.

cassus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By cassus

I'd burn that shirt to be honest.. I personally would go "hmm. is that appropriate.." if I saw someone wearing it, and I'm a pretty cynical piece of shit. Anyone with more of a normal relationship with the world would probably be somewhat disgusted by that shirt at this point. It was a joke that worked when Ryan was still around, not now. IMO.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@missacre said:

So you think that being a decent and respectful human being isn't a priority? Sure, lots of people might not be offended by it, but it's probably better to not test it, than to be potentially kicked out for wearing something offensive. Besides, you should know better than to wear a shirt that says FUCK in public. If you don't, then you should probably go outside more often.

Word certainly have power, but it's all within context. I'm really tired of people not getting it's all about the context. The context of this shirt is a joke, and the joke is so obvious, it's smacks you right in the face. Now, if I went on an angry rant against a person, then printed a t-shirt saying "fuck *person*", that's a different context. I may start typing random words, and because there's no context, it doesn't have any meaning.

As for respect, you're supposed to earn it. Most people who shout about respect are really shouting about acceptance. As for your last argument, I could just as easily turn it around and say if you're offended by "fuck", you should get out more. If a word, however foul you perceive it to be, directed at a third party you're not at all familiar with offends you, you should take a step back and think.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@missacre said:

Word certainly have power, but it's all within context. I'm really tired of people not getting it's all about the context. The context of this shirt is a joke, and the joke is so obvious, it's smacks you right in the face. Now, if I went on an angry rant against a person, then printed a t-shirt saying "fuck *person*", that's a different context. I may start typing random words, and because there's no context, it doesn't have any meaning.

As for respect, you're supposed to earn it. Most people who shout about respect are really shouting about acceptance. As for your last argument, I could just as easily turn it around and say if you're offended by "fuck", you should get out more. If a word, however foul you perceive it to be, directed at a third party you're not at all familiar with offends you, you should take a step back and think.