Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Edited By artofwar420
Science Loving Frog.
Science Loving Frog.
Just wondering because I keep hearing that from some family members that avoid it to keep healthy, and then I see some contradicting information in the internet saying that it doesn't hurt your liver, then some other says it does make a pre-existing condition worse. 

Drop me some of that knowlege, riddle masters. Yay ya-y! Woah, son.
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By artofwar420
Science Loving Frog.
Science Loving Frog.
Just wondering because I keep hearing that from some family members that avoid it to keep healthy, and then I see some contradicting information in the internet saying that it doesn't hurt your liver, then some other says it does make a pre-existing condition worse. 

Drop me some of that knowlege, riddle masters. Yay ya-y! Woah, son.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

I'm sure its fine. If it wasn't safe, Mexico's average life expectancy would plummet. All joking stereo-types aside, I really do think you will be fine.

Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By auspiciousqueue

From what I've read in Anatomy class back in the day, they do not harm the liver. If that were the case, I would have keeled over in China.

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Discorsi

It can be really bad for the lining of your stomach. 

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I eat tons of spicy food, and i'm still alive. For now.

Ask a GP. Or, just stop worrying about it and do what you want. It's all good.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#6  Edited By AgentJ

Everything in moderation is fine. If you were dumping a bottle of hot sauce into your system every day then sure that could be bad, but if you have a dish of curry every few days or a spicy sushi roll once a month you should be fine. 

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Nick

If you want to be safe take Milk Thistle regularly, it helps with liver health.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Linkyshinks

Not to my knowledge. Speak to your GP.

Try liver salts, and bitter gourd and cod liver oil pills, if your concerned about the health of your liver.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Everything is bad for your liver. Your liver basically has got to filter out any toxins you put into your body. And so many things contain low amounts of toxins, that yes, some spicy food probably does damage your liver. But your liver is designed for it, and it takes extreme drug abuse to do any serious harm to it. The toxins in spicy foods will be in such low amounts that you'd have to eat tonnes of them every day to do any serious damage.

sloppyjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By sloppyjoe

Think of all the people who eat really spicy food every day.  Like India, parts of China, Thailand.  My philosophy is if people have been living on it for thousands of years... it's probably not *that* bad for you.  May take some getting used to, like any physical body substance, though.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By crunchUK

that poor frog *sobs* :'(

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Carlos1408

From what I know it spicey food don't do nothin' to yo liva' Funky Student. However, I have heard that having very spicey food very often can damage your taste buds...but that's it. lol YAY-YA

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Alex_Murphy

Um, you've got 420 in your name. So am I to assume that you smoke a lot of weed, but are having second thoughts about eating spicy food?

But seriously, don't worry about it. A little spicy food now and then never hurt anybody. But if you eat too much it might damage your underwear.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_A_Drain

Some people have a low personal tolerance for spicy food, and it can rip up your digestive system if your body isn't used to it.

But liver? I don't see how it effects your liver and more than other foods? Besides, it would depend entirely on the chemical makeup of the food how it effects your liver, not how spicy it tastes. You'd have to ask a real doctor.

Edit:

"I have heard that having very spicey food very often can damage your taste buds"

The numbing feeling you get from spicy foods is the spice killing your tastebuds. But like the rest of your body, cells regrow and tastebuds are replaced every week or so. What happens is a chemical in the spicey food binds to your tastebuds and kills them, it forms some kind of acid. Milk neutralizes the acid, which is why if your tongue is on fire from chilli/etc, drink milk/shake or eat a yoghurt and it will go away.

But yeah, the feeling of the spicyness is actually tastebuds dying. Long term damage though? I don't  think it's possible, you'd probably just get used to the taste of strong spices, and not taste other foods quite as sensitively, but thats more psychological than physical I think. Again, ask a doctor.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By TheKidNixon

As someone else said, your liver has a pretty thankless job of cleansing stuff that your body doesn't want. Its like the martyr of the body's digestive process. So yes, too much spicy food will do some serious trash to that poor thing, but no more than a high amount of high fatty content, high salt content or of course good old alcohol.

On a sidenote, though, spicy foods can have poor effects if you have other certain gastronomical disorders. I can't remember what it is called, but my father has a condition where spicy food (really, anything with small seeds, but spicy food especially) can cause some serious discomfort due to certain aspects getting stuck in indigestible pockets of air. Basically, it causes a massive bloated feeling, and can cause him to feel unable to do anything for hours. Might wanna talk to those family members who avoid spicy food to see if they have such a condition and that is what creates the hesitance to eat spicy food; would be good to know anyway, and would help explain some.

The_Tolman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By The_Tolman

i hope not cause all the hot sauses i buy are literally some the hottest you can buy. i had to sign an agreement with the guy i baught one from that if i died my family couldnt sue

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By artofwar420
The_Tolman said:
i hope not cause all the hot sauses i buy are literally some the hottest you can buy. i had to ... [more]
That's kinda hilarious actually, and... uber bump? What happened?
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By gingertastic_10

if spicy food was bad, id be fucked :/

The_Tolman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The_Tolman
artofwar420 said:
The_Tolman said: i hope not cause all the hot sauses i buy are literally some the hottest you can buy. i ... [more]

well im still alive but i got one of my friends to try it snd he drank a full half gallon of milk and like 6 gallons of water. he was crying for like 3 hours. its powerful stuff. taste great. all you need is one drop, about the amount you can fit on the tip of a needle, and thats it.
Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Shadow

Spicy food is just plain bad.  Your liver has nothing to do with it.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Absurd

I eat spicy food all the time, I hope my liver is fine.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Absurd

I eat spicy food all the time, I hope my liver is fine.

The_Tolman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By The_Tolman
Meltbrain said:
That's pretty silly.

some people like fine wine, i enjoy spicy hot sause.
Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it really harms your liver, I don't have mine anymore. 

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By artofwar420

Whatever the case, I think this might be what we call a wife's tale. I'll ask a doctor though next time I see one.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By Gunner

i was told that spicy foods are good for you in small amounts. But im sure if you ate an entire plate of 50 hot wings you would be on the fast track to a heart attack.. yay ya-y.