Avatar just won best picture at the Golden Globes.

• 95 results
zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By zero_

I liked Avatar a lot actually. Sure it had some corny dialogue and the story is predictable as hell but I had a hell of a time watching it. I haven't seen enough movies this year to say whether or not it deserved "Best Picture", but I'm not too surprised. Thinking about it, I'm going to enter conspiracy mode for this. I think a large part of the movie industry wants Avatar to succeed immensely so that they can finally push 3D on a more mainstream level so that the movie industry can slowly start jacking up prices for 3D movies, start selling all the 3D stuff and make tons more money, all thanks to 'ole Jimmy. Probably.

Avatar image for aperturesilence
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#52  Edited By ApertureSilence

A Serious Man deserved that award.

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By nanikore

If you Google image for Avatar there are many pictures. Which one of them won?

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nanikore said:
"If you Google image for Avatar there are many pictures. Which one of them won? "
The one that had Hollywood's mouth wrapped around James Cameron's flaccid penis. That one.
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

@ArbitraryWater said:
" It's an Awards ceremony. You have to expect a combination of hype and internal Hollywood politics to triumph over conventional wisdom or cinematic merit. This is the way it has been for many years.

I still refuse to see Avatar, so I can't speak for it personally, but "The Dark Knight" level of hype it has generated among my peers is off-putting to say the least. "

You refuse? Why?
asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#56  Edited By asurastrike

I heard that movie's in 3D!

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#57  Edited By RedSox8933

Bleeeecccchhhhhh.

Up in the Air should have won. I'm so fucking sick of Avatar. Sure, I could be more objective, but being objective is for losers. Bias FTW.

udabenshen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By udabenshen
@SuperSecretAgenda said:
" I think it's cool to hate on Avatar ATM. "
Shit son, I've been hating on Avatar since before it was cool.  Also, Up in the Air was spectacular.
MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#59  Edited By MeierTheRed
@Br3adfan said:
" I still have no intention of seeing it. "
Feel the same, i don't see anything special in the trailers or what i read about story/plot. And i'm not going to suffer through a bad movie to watch some 3D effects.
Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Sarnecki

Just for the record no matter how you feel about Avatar, that FAIL picture with the Pochahontis plot layered under Avatars?  You could do that with literally thousands and thousands of movies, just as accurately.  I could do that with Star Wars and Harry Potter and The Philosophers Stone right this instant.  It's more a testament to films that follow a certain genre template than the literal plot point similarities.  Don't be fooled by broken misrepresenting arguments like that chart.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#61  Edited By thatfrood
@Sarnecki said:

" Just for the record no matter how you feel about Avatar, that FAIL picture with the Pochahontis plot layered under Avatars?  You could do that with literally thousands and thousands of movies, just as accurately.  I could do that with Star Wars and Harry Potter and The Philosophers Stone right this instant.  It's more a testament to films that follow a certain genre template than the literal plot point similarities.  Don't be fooled by broken misrepresenting arguments like that chart. "

This is true, but that doesn't change the fact that Avatar's plot is pretty cookie cutter, even for a genre film.

Personally, I'd like more people talking about Inglorious Basterds because that movie was fantastic, but I agree the Up in the Air was a better film than Avatar. And like most of the other critics here, I liked Avatar.

I guess an apt comparison for videogames would be Crysis. I love that game, it is visually stunning, but was it game of the year? Hell no. Crysis didn't innovate. Maybe it raised the standard, but it didn't change too much. For the most part it was just WOAH YOU GUYS CHECK DIS BLOOM OUT-- IT'S CRAAAAAAAZY. ICE POWAAAAH!
Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Kohe321

Well deserved.

Demonstride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#63  Edited By Demonstride

I just want to know what Up in the air is. I have never heard of that movie in my life. But, I thought Avatar was a pretty good movie and the 3d was the best I've ever seen. Should it have won best picture? I don't know. Was it the best movie I've seen all year? Nope.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Tennmuerti

I went to see Avatar and 2012 in theater on the same day, to be honest the visuals in 2012 impressed me much more by far.
Avatar was a very good movie no doubt, but nothing super special or interesting. I think I'll remember it more for the hype and internet controversy more then the actual movie itself a few years from now.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#65  Edited By citizenkane

I forgot that the Golden Globes were on last night.  I was too busy watching the season premier of 24.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By HandsomeDead

Up In The Air, Avatar and Hurt Locker would have all been acceptable victories.

inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By inkeiren
@HandsomeDead said:
" Up In The Air, Avatar and Hurt Locker would have all been acceptable victories. "
Agreed 100%.
GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#68  Edited By GunstarRed

Basterds should have won, it was a truly brilliant film. Saw Up in the air on friday and it seemed ok, I cannot for the life of me understand the buzz it has been getting. Avatar is great, not award winning material (effects aside) but a really, really fun if incredibly stupid movie. I guess nobody has a chance against it at the oscars now.
Avatar image for outofbounds9000
OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#69  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

Overrated,baby.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#70  Edited By Dany
@OutOfBounds9000: You just replied in the avatar gross thread and thought it was great. Bi-polar much? :)
GOREFAST89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By GOREFAST89

It's good to know that even on the internet the age old "cool kid" mentality of hating on everything that's popular or mainstream is still rampant.
Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#72  Edited By Metric_Outlaw
@AjayRaz said:
" i did not watch many movies in 2009, but was avatar that  good?  "
Its good enough to go see it, but I don't think it was the best picture of the year.
StarFry64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By StarFry64

I thought Up in the Air should have won Best Drama Picture. Never thought Avatar would win in Drama. Quentin Tarantino (Inglourious Basterds) or Kathlyn Bigelow (The Hurt Locker) should have won Best Director.

DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By DirrtyNinja
Up in the Air is average to say the least. Why is everyone jizzing over this movie.
Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Sarnecki

The Hurt Locker is easily my personal favorite.  Talk about tension.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By ryanwho

Popular movies win awards. I guess we live in a world where the best movie is also the most popular. How cute is that.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By OmegaPirate

Wow- a film that the film industry is keeping itself alive on via the fact the 'only way' to see it properly is to actually go to the cinema instead of pirating it - won a major award therefore increasing hype and getting more people to go to the cinema? 

Never saw that one coming

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Gabriel

Movies sucked this year, District 9 and Star Trek were good but their wasn't anything steller like No Country for Old Men, Their will be Blood,  Or the Dark Knight

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By maxszy
@Bruce said:
" Overrated much? Meh, my personal pick was Up in the Air. What do you guys think? "
My vote was also for Up In The Air. I also wish Clooney would have won for Best Actor for that. It was such a good film. Though I haven't seen Bridges in Crazy Heart and supposedly, he really did do a great job. 

As for Avatar...it did some amazing things, especially technologically. So I am hoping it won on those grounds and not the story. For the film the story works great in my opinion, but its nothing new nor revolutionary. The film, was a tech masterpiece and really was a lot of fun.
Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Sarnecki

The Golden Globes are one step away from the Peoples Choice.  It's a popularity contest.  This shouldn't shock any one at all.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#81  Edited By Milkman

I like Avatar a lot. But "Best Picture"? No. But no one cares about the Golden Globes anyway. 

What I wanna know is where the hell is District 9?

ImHungryx10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By ImHungryx10

I really really really enjoyed it. I liked Inglourious Basterds more, but I can see Avatar taking the win. The story was nothing new but, there was still something about it that I loved.

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#83  Edited By CharleyTony

I jut saw it and Inglourious Basterds was way better.  
I can't believe that the foreign press decided that Avatar was the better dramatic film ( since they only use drama or comedy/musical as categories). 

That movie was all special effects, I didn't like the story which was both dumb and incomplete. The characters (their personalities) were paper thin, that really sticks out in a 3-D movie !!! 

This film seems to be getting love from the fact that it is a huge commercial success and that it just came out. when you look at all the movies that came out in 2009, this choice looks pretty ridiculous to me. 

The Road 
Up in the air 
Millenium 1 & 2  (Män som hatar kvinnor  / swedish thriller )
Inglourious Basterds 
Star Trek !!! 
Watchmen !!! 
Hurt Locker !!! 

movie appeciation is subject to personal taste but if I had a list of 5 nominees for that best movie of the year, I can tell you that AVATAR would not even be in it ! 
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ThatFrood said:
I guess an apt comparison for videogames would be Crysis. I love that game, it is visually stunning, but was it game of the year? Hell no. Crysis didn't innovate. Maybe it raised the standard, but it didn't change too much. For the most part it was just WOAH YOU GUYS CHECK DIS BLOOM OUT-- IT'S CRAAAAAAAZY. ICE POWAAAAH! "
Yeah, this is the best comparison, probably.  
CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#85  Edited By CharleyTony
@Sir_Ragnarok said:
"@ThatFrood said:
I guess an apt comparison for videogames would be Crysis. I love that game, it is visually stunning, but was it game of the year? Hell no. Crysis didn't innovate. Maybe it raised the standard, but it didn't change too much. For the most part it was just WOAH YOU GUYS CHECK DIS BLOOM OUT-- IT'S CRAAAAAAAZY. ICE POWAAAAH! "
Yeah, this is the best comparison, probably.   "

right on  ! I second that motion...
Avatar image for featheredrainbows
FeatheredRainbows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Golden Globes were pretty crap overall. I liked Ricky Gervais but I disagreed with most of the choices. I would go into more detail but that would take ages. These are my best pictures of 2009 though.

1. The Road
2. The White Ribbon
3. A Prophet
4. Revanche
5. A Serious Man

These are my choices for best actor in a drama motion picture:

Viggo Mortensen- The Road
Jeff Bridges- Crazy Heart
Michael Fassbender- Fish Tank
John Malkovich- Disgrace
Sam Rockwell- Moon

These are my best actress in a drama motion picture:

1. Katie Jarvis- Fish Tank
2. Michelle Monaghan- Trucker
3. Carey Mulligan- An Education
4. Abbie Cornish- Bright Star
5. Hellen Mirren- The Last Station

These are my best motion picture comedy or musical:

1. A Serious man
2. Bad Lieutenant: Port of call new orleans
3. World's greatest dad
4. In The Loop
5. 500 Days of summer

As you can see my opinion differs slightly.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#87  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

My personal pick would have been District 9 but Avatar was a very good movie and I can see why they made the choice they did.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Avatar was amazing, just everyone seems to hate on it to be cool

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodiumCyclops said:

" Avatar was amazing, just everyone seems to hate on it to be cool "

I'll admit that Avatar looked amazing, but the story was forgettable. I give it a 7. I'd rather watch a film that you aren't one step ahead of the whole way that didn't have $300M of special effects in it.
Avatar image for outofbounds9000
OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#90  Edited By OutOfBounds9000
@Dany said:
" @OutOfBounds9000: You just replied in the avatar gross thread and thought it was great. Bi-polar much? :) "
=)
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I dont hate avatar i've not seen it, but nothing about it is interesting enough for me to go see it...

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Bionicicide

I feel that any AAA that releases within a quarter of any awards automatically has a significant advantage because it's still digesting inside critics so I'm not surprised; I'm glad Avatar did well so we see more visual wonders as opposed to all the cheap crime thrillers.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By ryanwho

I have to wonder about these people who think since Avatar is so popular, nobody has a good reason to hate it. They'd be ripe fruit for indoctrination in Germany back in the 30s. Oh yeah, I managed to work in a Godwin's Law.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By c1337us

The movie was alright. But I don't think it should be winning best picture awards.

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By SSbabel

Well deserved.