Avatar - Most Successful Film Ever Or Is It? (Rant Blog)

• 53 results
WildFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

Edited By WildFire

So I knew this was going to happen, I saw the movie, I didn't think it was that great but it did have some great 3D Effects. Now most people won't care about this but Avatar becoming the most successful film in terms of gross money earned ever is kind of bullshit, if the tickets didn't cost $13.00 - $17.00 per ticket it wouldn't be so successful, basically what I mean is in terms of Ticket Sales Avatar has only sold 76,421,000 total tickets which places it in the 26th position for most ticket sales, 

1 "Gone With the Wind" (1939) 202,044,600
2 "Star Wars" (1977) 178,119,600
3 "The Sound of Music" (1965) 142,415,400
4 "E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial" (1982) 141,854,300
5 "The Ten Commandments" (1956) 131,000,000
6 "Titanic" (1997) 128,345,900
7 "Jaws" (1975) 128,078,800
8 "Doctor Zhivago" (1965) 124,135,500
9 "The Exorcist" (1973) 110,568,700
10 "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" (1937) 109,000,000
11 "101 Dalmatians" (1961) 99,917,300
12 "The Empire Strikes Back" (1980) 98,180,600
13 "Ben-Hur" (1959) 98,000,000
14 "Return of the Jedi" (1983) 94,059,400
15 "The Sting" (1973) 89,142,900
16 "Raiders of the Lost Ark" (1981) 88,141,900
17 "Jurassic Park" (1993) 86,205,800
18 "The Graduate" (1967) 85,571,400
19 "Star Wars: Episode I" (1999) 84,825,800
20 "Fantasia" (1941) 83,043,500     

So realistically when you think about it Avatar earning as much money as much as Titanic (which is 6th place for total sales) with around 40 thousand less tickets sold is bullshit, the movie wasn't good, it was decent, the only reason it's sold so much is because of the outrageous 3D Ticket prices and Word-Of-Mouth. 

PS: Avatar cost 280 Million to make 
PPS: If Gone With The Wind was released today as a brand new movie taking an inflation factor into account it would have grossed $2,310,228,916 in total, but all it actually grossed was $191,749,00. 

WildFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By WildFire

So I knew this was going to happen, I saw the movie, I didn't think it was that great but it did have some great 3D Effects. Now most people won't care about this but Avatar becoming the most successful film in terms of gross money earned ever is kind of bullshit, if the tickets didn't cost $13.00 - $17.00 per ticket it wouldn't be so successful, basically what I mean is in terms of Ticket Sales Avatar has only sold 76,421,000 total tickets which places it in the 26th position for most ticket sales, 

1 "Gone With the Wind" (1939) 202,044,600
2 "Star Wars" (1977) 178,119,600
3 "The Sound of Music" (1965) 142,415,400
4 "E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial" (1982) 141,854,300
5 "The Ten Commandments" (1956) 131,000,000
6 "Titanic" (1997) 128,345,900
7 "Jaws" (1975) 128,078,800
8 "Doctor Zhivago" (1965) 124,135,500
9 "The Exorcist" (1973) 110,568,700
10 "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" (1937) 109,000,000
11 "101 Dalmatians" (1961) 99,917,300
12 "The Empire Strikes Back" (1980) 98,180,600
13 "Ben-Hur" (1959) 98,000,000
14 "Return of the Jedi" (1983) 94,059,400
15 "The Sting" (1973) 89,142,900
16 "Raiders of the Lost Ark" (1981) 88,141,900
17 "Jurassic Park" (1993) 86,205,800
18 "The Graduate" (1967) 85,571,400
19 "Star Wars: Episode I" (1999) 84,825,800
20 "Fantasia" (1941) 83,043,500     

So realistically when you think about it Avatar earning as much money as much as Titanic (which is 6th place for total sales) with around 40 thousand less tickets sold is bullshit, the movie wasn't good, it was decent, the only reason it's sold so much is because of the outrageous 3D Ticket prices and Word-Of-Mouth. 

PS: Avatar cost 280 Million to make 
PPS: If Gone With The Wind was released today as a brand new movie taking an inflation factor into account it would have grossed $2,310,228,916 in total, but all it actually grossed was $191,749,00. 

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By teh_destroyer

No offense, but this type of thread has been posted at least 8 times within the past 3 days. I am really getting tired of seeing it.

therabidfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By therabidfrog

Well this is the first time I've seen it. Interesting.

niall_sg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By niall_sg1

Actually the data you're using is North America sales only..worldwide and the figures you're using DO have inflation taken into account.  

Plus when working out if Avatar had beaten Titanic they did not take into account this film was more expensive to see due to the 3D glasses.

So to answer your question, yes Avatar is the most Successful film ever.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

It's the entertainment industry, what you are selling matters much less than how you sell it. Fair play to whatever faceless corporation put out Avatar, they know how to get money.  

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Megalon

I think most people are pretty aware of ticket price inflation, duder. It doesn't mean that Avatar making a ton of money is insignificant in some way.  

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bruce

Yeah and not to mention that a film like Gone with the Wind wouldn't have sold SHIT in this era.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8  Edited By Cube

WHO CARES?

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HandsomeDead

See who gives a fuck.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ryanwho
@Bruce said:
" Yeah and not to mention that a film like Gone with the Wind wouldn't have sold SHIT in this era. "
Relevance zero. You really wanna brag that Avatar would do better than Gone with the Wind, like this reflects positively on society?
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HandsomeDead
@ryanwho said:

" @Bruce said:

" Yeah and not to mention that a film like Gone with the Wind wouldn't have sold SHIT in this era. "
Relevance zero. You really wanna brag that Avatar would do better than Gone with the Wind, like this reflects positively on society? "
How does it reflect badly on society in any way?
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#12  Edited By wefwefasdf

I don't understand why people get upset about something's success. Sheesh.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ryanwho
@HandsomeDead said:

" @ryanwho said:

" @Bruce said:

Relevance zero. You really wanna brag that Avatar would do better than Gone with the Wind, like this reflects positively on society? "
How does it reflect badly on society in any way? "
Not sure how thundercats masquerading as Native American stereotypes is any different than the mammy in Gone with the Wind. I guess it reflects a lack of change, which could be distressing. 
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HandsomeDead
@ryanwho said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @ryanwho said:

" @Bruce said:

Not sure how thundercats masquerading as Native American stereotypes is any different than the mammy in Gone with the Wind. I guess it reflects out lack of change. "
Sounds like Avatar was a bit too deep for you when all you can criticize is the art style of the characters and the way they dress because it's not stereotypically alien enough for you. Am I right or am I wrong?
WonderboyCoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WonderboyCoz
@HandsomeDead:  Well said man, These people obviously didn't have a like for Avatar and are now bitter because it is so popular and "The most successful film of all time"
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ryanwho
@HandsomeDead said:

" @ryanwho said:

" @HandsomeDead said:

" @ryanwho said:

" @Bruce said:

Not sure how thundercats masquerading as Native American stereotypes is any different than the mammy in Gone with the Wind. I guess it reflects out lack of change. "
Sounds like Avatar was a bit too deep for you when all you can criticize is the art style of the characters and the way they dress because it's not stereotypically alien enough for you. Am I right or am I wrong? "
You're right, my feet couldn't touch the bottom of that subtle message. And I was characterizing the way they act as well. Its fine if you like the Native American stereotype, the single tear looking at litter, whatever. But it is what it is. You wanna pretend its better than a classic movie you've clearly never seen and therefore reflects an evolution of society, good for you. But when I see a hamfisted sermon full of racial epitaphs and cartoons running around dominating over a movie like Ben Hur, it makes me think we're getting a little stupider.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HandsomeDead
@ryanwho said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @ryanwho said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @ryanwho said:

" @Bruce said:

Sounds like Avatar was a bit too deep for you when all you can criticize is the art style of the characters and the way they dress because it's not stereotypically alien enough for you. Am I right or am I wrong? "
You're right, my feet couldn't touch the bottom of that subtle message. And I was characterizing the way they act as well. Its fine if you like the Native American stereotype, the single tear looking at litter, whatever. But it is what it is. "
The messages in Avatar weren't subtle in the slightest but both strong and powerful. To dismiss the Na'vi as Native American stereotypes basically says to me you're trying to hard to shit on it.
Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper
@WildFire said:
So realistically when you think about it Avatar earning as much money as much as Titanic (which is 6th place for total sales) with around 40 thousand less tickets sold is bullshit, the movie wasn't good, it was decent, the only reason it's sold so much is because of the outrageous 3D Ticket prices and Word-Of-Mouth. "
First off not every movie ticket was sold at 15 +/- because not every screening was in 3D. There's still a large part of theaters without 3D capabilities. 2nd, if it sold so well because of word of mouth wouldn't that mean it has to be good? Usually word of mouth implies of someone telling another to go see it/not see it because it was good/bad.

Just to get this out there, I hate the movie. The story is used very often causing it to be very predictable, a lot of the lines were exceptionally cliche and embarrassing and I felt little affection for the navi. The only good part about it was the effects which apparently is all that matters to most people these days...
Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Shadow

Any excuse to hate on Avatar, huh?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ryanwho

I'd like to ignore the person trolling classic film and just say, despite what I said, I didn't hate the movie. I like it for the same reason I liked the Mummy movies. But I don't think its unfair to read into its success relative to previous successes of past movies and relate it to the pulse of the time.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By WickedCestus
@HandsomeDead said:

" @ryanwho said:

" @HandsomeDead said:
" @ryanwho said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @ryanwho said:

" @Bruce said:

You're right, my feet couldn't touch the bottom of that subtle message. And I was characterizing the way they act as well. Its fine if you like the Native American stereotype, the single tear looking at litter, whatever. But it is what it is. "
The messages in Avatar weren't subtle in the slightest but both strong and powerful. To dismiss the Na'vi as Native American stereotypes basically says to me you're trying to hard to shit on it. "
Dude, it's the most obvious thing ever. Na'vi = Native Americans. It basically writes it in big letters across the screen. The message was strong and powerful...when Pocahontas did it. The only people Avatar is too deep for is 2 year olds.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HandsomeDead
@supermike6 said:
" @HandsomeDead said:

" @ryanwho said:

" @HandsomeDead said:
" @ryanwho said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @ryanwho said:

" @Bruce said:

The messages in Avatar weren't subtle in the slightest but both strong and powerful. To dismiss the Na'vi as Native American stereotypes basically says to me you're trying to hard to shit on it. "
Dude, it's the most obvious thing ever. Na'vi = Native Americans. It basically writes it in big letters across the screen. The message was strong and powerful...when Pocahontas did it. The only people Avatar is too deep for is 2 year olds. "
So because you get the message, it's bad? Where's the District 9 brigade then? Because I want to hear what they have to say about the film telling us racism is bad from start to finish with nothing else going for it.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ryanwho
@HandsomeDead said:
" @supermike6 said:
" @HandsomeDead said:

" @ryanwho said:

" @HandsomeDead said:
" @ryanwho said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @ryanwho said:

" @Bruce said:

Dude, it's the most obvious thing ever. Na'vi = Native Americans. It basically writes it in big letters across the screen. The message was strong and powerful...when Pocahontas did it. The only people Avatar is too deep for is 2 year olds. "
So because you get the message, it's bad? Where's the District 9 brigade then? Because I want to hear what they have to say about the film telling us racism is bad from start to finish with nothing else going for it. "
You bring up a good point. The fact that District 9 and Avatar are both so clearly racist yet preach progressive messages is kind of funny. The white man must save the stubborn naive helpless ethnic natives because they can't save themselves.  D9 at least has a single alien that's capable of thinking beyond the guidance of the benevolent savior white man. And its quite a bit more subtle, you really witness the evolution of a man who started the film as part of the problem and became a gog in the wheel of the solution Meanwhile that dumbass in Avatar goes native for 3 months then wonders why the natives wont move after telling them they should move a whole 10 minutes in advance of attack. Retarded. This is like comparing Indiana Jones and Schindler's List because they both have Nazis.
Tally_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Tally_Pants

All this phylosophical stuff aside... I finally got to see Avatar, because I refused to see it in anything other than IMAX 3D and its been sold out almost every show of everyday since it was released! 
The only time i could get a ticket was 1015pm on a sunday... and it was still packed!!! 
The entire theatre smelled like POT! thats the reason its so popular i believe. ppl getting high as shit and watching the amazing 3D movie! (story issues aside.. its a gorgeous 3D movie!) 
it seems that Avatar is the pass time of choice for pot heads the world over!!
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By Jimbo

Oh I'm way more pissed off about the love for District 9 than I am about the reasons for Avatar being successful.

I don't really have a problem with Avatar per se, just with everything its success represents.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Kazona

No matter how you look at it, or what kind of excuses you come up with, the simple fact is that Avatar has made more money than any movie ever has. So yes, it is the most succesfull movie ever.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#27  Edited By the8bitNacho
@WildFire: You say the tickets cost between $13 and $17, but IMAX is a very small portion of the sales generated thus far, despite the movie's 3D effects.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HandsomeDead
@ryanwho said:
"You bring up a good point. The fact that District 9 and Avatar are both so clearly racist yet preach progressive messages is kind of funny. The white man must save the stubborn naive helpless ethnic natives because they can't save themselves.  D9 at least has a single alien that's capable of thinking beyond the guidance of the benevolent savior white man. And its quite a bit more subtle, you really witness the evolution of a man who started the film as part of the problem and became a gog in the wheel of the solution Meanwhile that dumbass in Avatar goes native for 3 months then wonders why the natives wont move after telling them they should move a whole 10 minutes in advance of attack. Retarded. This is like comparing Indiana Jones and Schindler's List because they both have Nazis. "
District 9 was subtle for about a minute until you see the ghetto and instantly see the apartheid comparisons which fell apart after 40 odd minutes when it turned into a sloppily handled man on a mission movie which started well enough but ended with a pointless robot fight while Avatar was always a blockbusting sci-fi adventure that built to a satisfying climax with an intense and personal robot fight. But then again, considering you're sinking into white guilt territory, I doubt you watched either film with the intention of being entertained.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ryanwho
@Jimbo said:
" Oh I'm way more pissed off about the love for District 9 than I am about the reasons for Avatar being successful.  I don't really have a problem with Avatar per se, just with everything its success represents. "
Which movie did you want D9 to be? The first half or the second half? I totally get the problem people have with consistency. I still found it more interesting. Though I'm sure I dug myself into a hole comparing it to Schindler's List. I'm notthat guy, really. 
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jimbo
@Kazona said:
" No matter how you look at it, or what kind of excuses you come up with, the simple fact is that Avatar has made more money than any movie ever has."
But has it in real terms?  Is Avatar's profit today worth more than GWTW's profit was worth in '39?  

If it genuinely has (or does) then I will absolutely agree that it is the 'most successful'.

Also, Avatar profit vs. MW 2 profit would be an interesting comparison.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By HandsomeDead
@Jimbo said:

" @Kazona said:

" No matter how you look at it, or what kind of excuses you come up with, the simple fact is that Avatar has made more money than any movie ever has."
But has it in real terms?  Is Avatar's profit today worth more than GWTW's profit was worth in '39?    If it genuinely has (or does) then I will absolutely agree that it is the 'most successful'.  Also, Avatar profit vs. MW 2 profit would be an interesting comparison. "
Here. Hotlinked because it's huge and I can't be bothered resizing.   
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jimbo
@ryanwho said:

" @Jimbo said:

" Oh I'm way more pissed off about the love for District 9 than I am about the reasons for Avatar being successful.  I don't really have a problem with Avatar per se, just with everything its success represents. "
Which movie did you want D9 to be? The first half or the second half? I totally get the problem people have with consistency. I still found it more interesting. Though I'm sure I dug myself into a hole comparing it to Schindler's List. I'm notthat guy, really.  "
Honestly, I just sat there wondering how we got to the point where people will blindly accept that the guy helping the alien escape is the good guy and the guy trying to stop them is the bad guy, just because -and this may shock you- racism is bad, and speciesism is kinda like racism I guess, because they both have 'ism' on the end.  Forget that the alien is going to come back with reinforcements and use their vastly superior weaponary to glass the entire planet in revenge for how we treated them - at least we'll feel good inside when they do it.  In spite of where the hook was in the movie, I still found myself rooting for the 'bad' guy - and I didn't even experience that in Braveheart or The Patriot.

(Speaking of speciesism, if I'm forced to turn on Cerberus at the end of Mass Effect 2 (and I haven't played any of it yet), I'm going to take the disc/s out and grind them into dust.)

I haven't seen Avatar, so I can't hate on it to the same extent, but it annoys me that something can just be be hyped and advertised directly to the top of the pile.  If people were coming out of it saying it was a genuinely brilliant movie on its own merit then I'd be fine with it, but the reaction seems more like "You have to see it, because the TV said so and it was kinda OK I guess!".  It's like Crysis becoming the most successful game of of all time or something.

Edit: Thanks, HD.
WildFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By WildFire
@Kombat said:
" @WildFire: You say the tickets cost between $13 and $17, but IMAX is a very small portion of the sales generated thus far, despite the movie's 3D effects. "
@Kombat: Regular ticket price where I live 12.95, IMAX price 15.95, if they're lower somewhere else I didn't take that into account the 13 - 17 is just the price of tickets around where I live.
Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Kazona
@Jimbo: It's a useless comparison to make is what I'm saying. Why compare something that is out now to something that came out 70 years ago? If you're going that route, you might as well compare the profit made on popcorn sales now to the profit on popcorn sales made 30 years ago.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Bruce
@ryanwho:  

Yeah, you're making no fucking sense :/
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Yeah, there's always been these inflation charts where they make it all even, which are cool. Though, you still have to consider that Avatar looks like it could possibly top Titanic in the US by a whole $100 million or so, which would certainly help bump it up on this list. Plus, the Oscars are coming, Avatar could easily win Best Picture, and that would certainly extend it's life and draw more people to the theaters to see it. A lot of people still haven't seen it and are reluctant, mainly over stupid reasons such as what they've heard about the not being the most original, but I think those people are missing out on a really remarkable film.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jimbo
@Kazona said:

" @Jimbo: It's a useless comparison to make is what I'm saying. Why compare something that is out now to something that came out 70 years ago? If you're going that route, you might as well compare the profit made on popcorn sales now to the profit on popcorn sales made 30 years ago. "

I'm pretty sure that isn't what you were saying:

"No matter how you look at it, or what kind of excuses you come up with, the simple fact is that Avatar has made more money than any movie ever has. So yes, it is the most succesfull movie ever.

See?  Totally different.

I do agree that it's a pretty useless comparison to make though, so if you wanna call it the 'Most Successful Film of Not Ever', then I'm with you 100%.
fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By fynne

These "better than" arguments are kinda pointless.  Sure GWTW sold more tickets way back when, but it had no competition either.  No TV, video games or whatever.  I'll bet Hollywood wasn't even the monster movie factory that it is today.  All that really matters is that Avatar was a big gamble and it paid off in spades.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By WickedCestus

@HandsomeDead said:
" @supermike6 said:
"
So because you get the message, it's bad? Where's the District 9 brigade then? Because I want to hear what they have to say about the film telling us racism is bad from start to finish with nothing else going for it. 
I'm sorry, I can't see the part where I say having a message is a bad thing. To be honest, I've never seen District 9, and I don't care about it, because it didn't make 40 billion dollars by being a bad movie. I don't hate that it has a message, the message is just awfully shown and all the characters are stereotypes.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#40  Edited By natetodamax

Does it matter?

jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jack_daniels

I see you Jake Sully.

Avatar image for pirate_republic
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By pirate_republic

You're also looking at things out of context. In the 1930s, nobody saw movies often. Seeing a movie was a big outing, and the theatres reflected that: they were clean, with red curtains, and an overall "fancy" vibe to them. Now they're filthy, with sticky floors, left over popcorn, etc. My point: the fact that Gone with the Wind did so well is all the more impressive since people usually only saw one or two movies a year. People see movies all the time now, so the fact that Avatar is doing so well now is less impressive.

mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mano521

i dont know why there are so many people focused on hating on avatar. like, it was a fairly decent movie. its not like people have to go out and find things wrong with it just because it was popular

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44  Edited By Evilsbane

Hey whats going on in this thre.....Oh shit.... *backs away slowly*

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#45  Edited By jakob187
@ryanwho: I saw the Navi as being more African tribal and less Native American... 

Nonetheless, it's was a good movie with mind-blowingly badass visuals.  I don't see how that's a bad thing in the least bit, so stop making it out like it's some horrific thing.  

As for the movie's success, I find it amazing to look at the weekly numbers and finding that there is such a small drop-off week after week.  It's something that we haven't seen in a long time.  LOTR nor Harry Potter were able to pull this kind of magic off.  It's amazing, and the fact that it remains this consistent says a few things to me: 
  • Everyone talking shit about the movie has at least paid to see it
  • People seem to be enjoying the movie enough to view it multiple times
  • We don't have some gay movie with Leo and Kate clamoring that top spot anymore
Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Kazona
@Jimbo said:
"@Kazona said:

" @Jimbo: It's a useless comparison to make is what I'm saying. Why compare something that is out now to something that came out 70 years ago? If you're going that route, you might as well compare the profit made on popcorn sales now to the profit on popcorn sales made 30 years ago. "

I'm pretty sure that isn't what you were saying:

"No matter how you look at it, or what kind of excuses you come up with, the simple fact is that Avatar has made more money than any movie ever has. So yes, it is the most succesfull movie ever.

See?  Totally different.

I do agree that it's a pretty useless comparison to make though, so if you wanna call it the 'Most Successful Film of Not Ever', then I'm with you 100%. "

Avatar has made more money than Gone with the Wind. It's a simple fact. Using the excuse of, "yea but with inflation Gone with the Wind has made more money," is pointless. The only way that comparison would be useful is if Gone with the Wind could somehow travel through time and be shown now instead of then, in which case I'm absolutely certain it wouldn't even crack the top 20. 

But if you really want to go the rout of, "is it really the best movie ever?" Then the answer is simple: No it is not. Nothing is the best ever because eventually something always comes along that's better. I personally hate the whole notion of "best ever." It implies that there is nothing that could ever beat it, for all eternity. It's just dumb, and the person who came up with the phrase should've been taken out back and shot.
jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jack_daniels
@jakob187 said:
" @ryanwho: I saw the Navi as being more African tribal and less Native American... 

Nonetheless, it's was a good movie with mind-blowingly badass visuals.  I don't see how that's a bad thing in the least bit, so stop making it out like it's some horrific thing.  

As for the movie's success, I find it amazing to look at the weekly numbers and finding that there is such a small drop-off week after week.  It's something that we haven't seen in a long time.  LOTR nor Harry Potter were able to pull this kind of magic off.  It's amazing, and the fact that it remains this consistent says a few things to me: 
  • Everyone talking shit about the movie has at least paid to see it
  • People seem to be enjoying the movie enough to view it multiple times
  • We don't have some gay movie with Leo and Kate clamoring that top spot anymore
"
10k + posts. Holy crap.... Wow...
crystalskull2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By crystalskull2
@Bruce said:

Word.
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By Snail

Actually, unlike most of the people going "Who cares?" and leaving the thread, I would like to thank you for the heads-up. I always found that Avatar making more money than Titanic didn't make much sense, now it does.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#50  Edited By wrecks

It's America. All that matters is the bottom line.  Didn't  you know that? That's why Gross is announced and not ticket numbers. silly silliness.