Avengers *SPOILERS* Thread

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By musubi

SPOILERS FOR THE AVENGERS MOVIE BELOW YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

So, I went and saw the movie last night and enjoyed it for the most part theres a few things now that I think about that don't make sense though. For instance....Hulk finally gets unleashed about halfway into the movie and then chases Black Widow through the S.H.I.E.L.D air base as a uncontrollable beast. Fast forward he wakes up as banner in a pile of rubble and heads for the City to meet up with everyone. So...now he gets to the city and suddenly he has control of the hulk? When just a few scenes earlier he was rampaging out of control? I could be thinking about this way to hard but that seems very unlikely that banner could teach himself to control the monster in what would probably amount to only a few hours.

Secondly, I wish they would have let Iron man die It could have been a great moment and tied everything up nicely with iron man as rumors are Downey doesn't wanna do another Iron Man.

Thirdly...what was all that stuff at the end after the credits? I'm not a huge comic book nerd so the stuff after the credits was lost to me. Who is the dude they showed?

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By viking_funeral

That was Thanos.

EDIT: Actually, I feel like the Comic Vine page does a better job explaining him. (Link)

Also, your first sentence could use some punctuation & editing. It feels like you're rambling.

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Rayeth

Thanos is the guy after the credits. Feel free to read up on him at comicvine.

Thanos

Fascismo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Fascismo

I think the deal with the Hulk in the SHIELD carrier was that Loki was using the staff to manipulate Banner. There was that moment before the ship got attacked where Banner was fully intending to murderize the entire crew and didn't realize that he was holding the staff in his hand. I don't think Banner couldn't control the Hulk, he might have been brainwashed and snapped out of it when he hit the ground. The movie seemed to be implying that Loki wanted to be captured to get close to the Hulk, but it wasn't totally clear how he planned to accomplish that. I didn't really put it together either until the day after I saw it.

CollegeGuyMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#5  Edited By CollegeGuyMike

@Fascismo: Isn't there a line when he's about to use the staff on them all where he's like "No, guys, listen! The thing about me and 'him' is-" and then shit goes down. I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure there was that kind of hinted at him having some control or understanding.

The staff and loki's influence just caused him to be completely wild.

Or I'm just not remembering it clearly at all. It's been a few days, and it's just so much movie.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Baillie

@Fascismo said:

I think the deal with the Hulk in the SHIELD carrier was that Loki was using the staff to manipulate Banner. There was that moment before the ship got attacked where Banner was fully intending to murderize the entire crew and didn't realize that he was holding the staff in his hand. I don't think Banner couldn't control the Hulk, he might have been brainwashed and snapped out of it when he hit the ground. The movie seemed to be implying that Loki wanted to be captured to get close to the Hulk, but it wasn't totally clear how he planned to accomplish that. I didn't really put it together either until the day after I saw it.

Oh right, yeah. I was kind of lost there too.

zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By zor

My current guess for the Hulk thing (i notice it too) is that there is prolly at 10 min scene that was cut out of the movie, that showed how he got control over the Hulk... well, some control over the Hulk. I don't know if there really is a scene, but seeing how the movie is 2:23, it is very likely that a few scenes were edited out to save time.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#8  Edited By donutfever
@SotoSaki said:

@Fascismo: Isn't there a line when he's about to use the staff on them all where he's like "No, guys, listen! The thing about me and 'him' is-" and then shit goes down. I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure there was that kind of hinted at him having some control or understanding.

He elaborates at the end. He explains that he's "always angry".
MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Iron Man 3 is coming out next year, so they weren't going to kill off Tony Stark.

Also, I absolutely loved every second of the movie, despite some things not totally making sense. But really, when the villain and one of the heroes are Norse gods, one of the protagonists was frozen in ice since WWII, and another one of them turns into a giant green guy, I can forgive some things for not making sense.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Canteu

It was the first time he'd turned into the Hulk in over a year. Maybe the hulk was a bit pissed, and also Loki.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By musubi

@Canteu: The part where the Hulk beat loki off the ground like a rag doll was THE best.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#12  Edited By fox01313

The comic vine page on the movie is good as it explains that the alien race they are fighting in the film are a split off faction of Skrulls from some of the more recent Marvel comic storylines. Thought they did a good job with Thanos but they could have done some kind of better hints with showing the Infinity Gauntlet flashing a little in reflected starlight (when I saw him in the movie it looked like it could be Thanos or maybe some Super Skrull or other notable figure from that race). I stopped reading comics a while back but will dive into some of the trade paperbacks but not enough of the ones with the Avengers, last one I read with that team was the Civil War around the same time of playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 to see how things were going with the original story.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Canteu

@Demoskinos: literally the best. Puny god.

bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bigsmoke77

@Demoskinos: Banner can control his "anger" but there is cases where you can piss him off too much and he will just lose it and want to destroy everything. I kinda agree that they should have let Iron Man appear to die at least and base Iron Man 3 on him fighting his way back to earth or something but I think they wanted to end it on a happy "fuck yeah" moment. And for the dude at the end of the credits.

My biggest problem with the movie was when Agent Coulson died and everybody got pumped up to go after Loki I thought it was really lame because there is no way the audience cares about his death. They should have picked a character to kill off that the audience would actually care about.

CollegeGuyMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CollegeGuyMike

@fox01313: The infinity gauntlet actually did show up momentarily when in Thor The Destroyer is breaking out and being sent to earth.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By probablytuna

I think the explosion that knocked Black Widow and Banner off the lab room triggered an increased heart rate that he wasn't able to suppress thus causing the Hulk to be unleashed and seemingly uncontrollable and not really due to Loki's manipulation. I'm not sure why Bruce was holding the staff during the argument, maybe it really was because of Loki, but if that's the case it wasn't presented clearly. But yeah anyways, by far the stand out was Mark Ruffalo's portrayal. Very different from past Bruce Banners and I would love to see a Hulk movie starring Mark Ruffalo.

CollegeGuyMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CollegeGuyMike

@bigsmoke77: The argument I've heard for this is that the group needed a common friend or connection to "Avenge". I highly doubt he is dead, first of all because there is the line where Maria Hill (I believe? I'm not sure) said the cards were in Coulson's locker not his suit pocket. But who knows really. He might stay dead, or they'll pull a real 'comic book move' and just bring him back. The actor IS apparently in talks for Iron Man 3, so..

Edit: And the people that were in the theater I saw it in, at the midnight premiere, were audibly shocked at his death. But maybe that's just because the people who would go to a midnight showing of The Avengers are more actively invested in the characters?

Chuggsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Chuggsy
@bigsmoke77 said:

@Demoskinos: Banner can control his "anger" but there is cases where you can piss him off too much and he will just lose it and want to destroy everything. I kinda agree that they should have let Iron Man appear to die at least and base Iron Man 3 on him fighting his way back to earth or something but I think they wanted to end it on a happy "fuck yeah" moment. And for the dude at the end of the credits.

My biggest problem with the movie was when Agent Coulson died and everybody got pumped up to go after Loki I thought it was really lame because there is no way the audience cares about his death. They should have picked a character to kill off that the audience would actually care about.

Coulson is a really popular character in the comics and a lot of the audience loved him in the movie. Plus none of the Avengers really liked eachother by that point, so it wouldn't have brought them together like Coulson's death did if one of them had died.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BraveToaster

@bigsmoke77 said:

Agent Colson's death was unnecessary. I was under the impression that an invasion would be more than enough to get everyone pumped up.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By Red

I was upset when Coulson died. He was a funny, likable character, and really the only one that could've been killed off (aside from whoever Robin from HIMYM played, but none of the heroes really knew or cared about her, aside from Nick Fury).

Anyways, I think it was a great, great movie. The perfect blockbuster, and the second after-credits sequence was amazing.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By SlightConfuse

I hope we see Nova or Hank Pym in the next avengers movie. This movie had a very ultimates feel to it which was very bombastic. I think the hulk jsut wised up to the fact that earth was getting fucked up real fast. Also in the comics hulk and banner have gotten on the same page before. in the first avengers comic loki controlled the hulk in to attacking the avengers, i imaging something similar happened with the staff.

the next macguffin
the next macguffin
DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22  Edited By DarthOrange

As far as the Hulk / helicarrier scene wasn't he about to tell everyone he was in full control of his abilities? Then shit starts exploding and he transformers into the Hulk against his will. You can see that after he chases Black Widow to a corner he doesn't attack her. When it seems like he is about be calm and talk, Thor tackles him and they fight, making him lose control again. During the second transformation, he was in control when it happened and he transformed because he wanted to. You can see that the Hulk still remembers his fight during the last fight when Thor and Hulk take out the flying dragon thing together and Hulk gives Thor a punch.

As for Iron Man dying, why the hell would they kill him off? He is the reason we even have an Avengers film and both his films have been the most successful (financially) Marvel movies made (besides this one of course).

As for the end credits, that was Thanos. I think that is pretty awesome and I have to assume that the second batch of Marvel movies will be about each Avenger finding an Infinity Stone with the Avengers 2 being about Thanos taking them all and using the Infinity Gauntlet.

Rowen545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Rowen545

Somebody explained it to me that if he willing goes into the Hulk state then he has more control over the Hulk (i.e. end fight scene), it gives him a chance to mentally prepare. If however he is forced into against his will he is more wild (i.e helicarrier)

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Demoskinos: I just figured Hulk was mindless on the helicarrier because of Loki and the fact that an explosion hit him that triggered the change.

I also didn't get the sense that he was in control of Hulk even during the climax, but he could just force the change when he needed it.

MegaMetaTurtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By MegaMetaTurtle

I don't think he knew he could control it up till the security guard talks to him in the warehouse. It goes something like;

'Thank god I landed in thi abandoned warehouse'

'looks to me like you were aiming for it instead of all the buildings with people in'

Then Banner kind of has a 'oh snap, maybe I can control him' look on his face. Then he goes to help.

As for 'I'm always angry', I think that was alluding to the fact that he can more or less control when he turns into the Hulk.

That's just what I understood from it though :/

SadPatrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SadPatrol
@MegaMetaTurtle
I don't think he knew he could control it up till the security guard talks to him in the warehouse. It goes something like;

'looks to me like you were aiming for it instead of all the buildings with people in'

Then Banner kind of has a 'oh snap, maybe I can control him' look on his face. Then he goes to help.

As for 'I'm always angry', I think that was alluding to the fact that he can more or less control when he turns into the Hulk.

Yup. I agree completely. That's what I understood too
alexpiercey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By alexpiercey

@DarthOrange said:

You can see that after he chases Black Widow to a corner he doesn't attack her. When it seems like he is about be calm and talk, Thor tackles him and they fight, making him lose control again.

I just got back from a screening and I'm pretty sure he was about to punch through Black Widows head before Thor tackled him.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

I was under the impression that Loki was messing with everyone's heads, that was why he let himself get captured. He has the ability to mess with people like that. Also there's no way Iron Man dies, they wouldn't kill him off he's a huge draw.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Also the part where Hulk catches him was completely ruined by the trailer. I gotta stop watching those.

Kosikutioner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Kosikutioner

@SadPatrol said:

@MegaMetaTurtle

While I agree with that mostly, I also kinda took it as... He was also pissed off? Everyone else was fighting each other, Iron Man and Thor, Cap and Iron Man.

He was clearly pissed at SHIELD, and especially Black Widow, for bringing him into this.

I don't think its crazy to assume he wanted to fight them to some degree, along the same lines as the other Avengers not getting along totally.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31  Edited By DarthOrange

@SadPatrol said:

@MegaMetaTurtle

But didn't he already have control since the beginning? He says at the end "I tried to tell you guys earlier, I'm always angry" saying that he could always trigger it at will. Also, if you guys saw the Incredible Hulk with Edward Norton (which is cannon for this universe) at the end he is meditating, his eyes turn green and he smiles, alluding that he now has control. But maybe I'm looking into it too much.

Anybody else going for a second time? I'm thinking of going again this weekend.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By intro

Just saw the movie, loved it. Hulk was by far my favorite. Loved it when he tried picking up Thor's hammer, when he beat the shit out of Loki and when he just punched Thor after fighting their enemies.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

FUCK YEAH THANOS. 

So good. So, so, so good.  

I'm seeing it a third time this week. Loved the Hulk. Loved Iron Man. Would've liked to see Captain America fight more. 

TheBostonPops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TheBostonPops

The Infinity Gauntlet is in the vault of artifacts in Asgard, you can see it for a moment in Thor's movie. I imagine Thor 2 will probably have that getting stolen somehow by an agent of Thanos (as we've seen their vault isn't terribly secure).

MegaMetaTurtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By MegaMetaTurtle
@DarthOrange

Yeah, I think he knew that he trigger it at will, but worried he wouldn't be able to control the Hulk.

Going of the top of my head, maybe he wasn't in as much control in the carrier cos he got manipulated into getting angry and changing.

Haven't seen the newest Hulk film in a while, but yeah, they hint he can trigger it at the end. And doesn't the whole main fight near the end suggest he could control it (eg, saving the guys in the helicopter)?

Was thinking about the Hulk film after watching Avengers, and although, yeah, it's supposed to be cannon, seems like they kind of ignored some stuff from it to try and give his character a bit of story, etc.

But again, just my view on it.
N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By N7

Holy fuck what a great movie. I saw it in IMAX 3D not too long ago and I was not disappointed. It's weird... like, you see these characters on their own in their own movies, and when they come together... it works... so well. The movie was waaaaay better than I have expected.

The part where Hulk and Thor are standing on top of that dead space worm, and Hulk just fucking owns(There's really no other word to describe it) Thor made me flip my shit. That was hilarious.

And the end-end-end-end of the movie where they're all sitting there, eating in a diner, with a major case of the thousand yard stare. Man, if there was a perfect way to end a movie, that was it.

Oh, and the part where everyone is all sad about how Tony is probably dead, and the Hulk scares the shit out of him.

Damn, that was a good ass movie.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37  Edited By BoG

I was... impressed. I think just about every one of my Facebook friends declared it the "greatest movie ever" in a wall post, but I wouldn't go that far. Honestly, I wasn't expecting much. I really just thought the writers would give the actual characters a backseat to their abilities, and this wasn't the case. Furthermore, despite the flood of important characters, everyone mattered. Kudos to the writers for pulling it off.

I've read a number of articles which compare this to Nolan's Batman trilogy, and I wish that people wouldn't compare them. They're super hero movies, and that's about the extent of it. Marvel's movies aren't as mature as Nolan's Batman, and this is the way they should be. I'm happy that Marvel made this a larger than life action flick instead of going for their own Dark Knight. It would have been a failure.

Not my favorite super hero flick, but certainly an accomplishment.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ShadyPingu

Bravo. That was a great summer movie. Frankly, I would've considered it a miracle if The Avengers was just halfway decent, but somehow they pulled it off.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AlKusanagi

@Red: That character is Maria Hill and she becomes extremely important in the comics later on, so they can't kill her off.

Also, apparently, Coulson may not be dead after all, but Joss may be trolling us about him still being alive.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Coafi

I just saw the movie, and I thought it was great, but not amazing. I think Iron Man was the best character in the whole film, and I didn't even like his character before and have not watched the Iron Man movies. Hulk was great too, Captain America was not as great as he was in his own movie, Thor was ok, and the rest was ok too. I don't know, I have to watch it again, I was not blown away as everyone else is.

Edit: Fun fact: The actress that played the waitress that had lil bit of screen time is called Ashley Johnson. She is the voice of Ellie in The Last of Us.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CL60

Anybody else stay for the full credits and laugh hysterically at the randomness and pointlessness of the last scene?

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheFreeMan

@CL60 said:

Anybody else stay for the full credits and laugh hysterically at the randomness and pointlessness of the last scene?

Hell yes I did. I think I liked that stinger better than the earlier one. The look on everybody's faces was priceless, perfect way to end that movie.

I kinda want shawarma now.