batman beyond: return of the joker; they woosed out on the ending

mugugipan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mugugipan

I get the feeling that they wanted to make Tim Drake, second Robin in the cartoons, the next Joker. Had they explored this option (Drake had a father who left him, and he himself was a thief for a little while to survive) more so, the film's ending would not have been so half assed. I remember hearing the joker's explanation and almost throwing up from it. All the signs pointed to Drake being the Joker. They really woosed out and derailed what was an amazing animated feature.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

Is that the one when he's being controlled by that chip?

I never got how the setting of Batman was in the 50-60s...but Beyond is way in the future.  >_>

NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By NinjaHunter
@KaosAngel said:

" Is that the one when he's being controlled by that chip?  I never got how the setting of Batman was in the 50-60s...but Beyond is way in the future.  >_> "

That's just the look of the cartoon. It's set in present day or at least in the 90's. In the Superman cartoon everything looked like it was ten or twenty years in the future but Batman still was able to team up with him. 

As for the ending, I haven't seen it in such a long time so I don't really remember.
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By mordukai

You know what I would love DC to do? Another feature like the Gotham Knight one only this time they can use the most famous works in the Batman series. Comics like: 

Batman: The Killing Joke.
Batman: Year One. 
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Batman: Arkham Asylum - A Serious House on Serious Earth.
Batman: The long Halloween.     

That would be awesome. 

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By RetroIce4
@Mordukai said:
" You know what I would love DC to do? Another feature like the Gotham Knight one only this time they can use the most famous works in the Batman series. Comics like:  Batman: The Killing Joke.Batman: Year One. Batman: The Dark Knight ReturnsBatman: Arkham Asylum - A Serious House on Serious Earth.Batman: The long Halloween.      That would be awesome.  "
This. NAO!
jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@Mordukai said:
" You know what I would love DC to do? Another feature like the Gotham Knight one only this time they can use the most famous works in the Batman series. Comics like:  Batman: The Killing Joke.Batman: Year One. Batman: The Dark Knight ReturnsBatman: Arkham Asylum - A Serious House on Serious Earth.Batman: The long Halloween.      That would be awesome.  "
Cartoons are for kiddies. Disney taught us that and we all wish they hadnt start that stereotype.
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By mordukai
@JeffGoldblum said:
" @Mordukai said:
Cartoons are for kiddies. Disney taught us that and we all wish they hadnt start that stereotype. "  
Thats a pretty narrow minded view on cartoons. There plenty of adult themed cartoons out there and not every cartoon in the world are a Disney type aimed for children. 
flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By flaminghobo
@Mordukai said:

" @JeffGoldblum said:

" @Mordukai said:
Cartoons are for kiddies. Disney taught us that and we all wish they hadnt start that stereotype. "  
Thats a pretty narrow minded view on cartoons. There plenty of adult themed cartoons out there and not every cartoon in the world are a Disney type aimed for children.  "
Say this cartoon is for kids with a straight face:
jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@Mordukai said:
" @JeffGoldblum said:
" @Mordukai said:
Thats a pretty narrow minded view on cartoons. There plenty of adult themed cartoons out there and not every cartoon in the world are a Disney type aimed for children.  "
Dude I know. I hate that Disney made everyone think that. I love a good serious animated film they can be for adults a lot of people just think they arent. I was being sarcastic in my original post
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By penguindust
@JeffGoldblum said:
" Dude I know. I hate that Disney made everyone think that. I love a good serious animated film they can be for adults a lot of people just think they arent. I was being sarcastic in my original post "
Yeah I caught your sarcasm straight off.  But, cartoons aren't the only victim of that social stigma.  We all know that video games have been labeled with that same narrow minded limitation.  Comics have also felt that persecution.  Hell, the document that was used to persecute the comic industry 50 years ago was called "Seduction of the Innocent".  For some reason, many people feel that anything they enjoyed as a kid should only be made for kids.  It makes no sense since it is kind of like saying because I once liked The Muppets on Ice, I can't enjoy a hockey game.  However, as geek culture moves mainstream (and profitable), these artificial boundaries will pass.  Comics are back to being a niche market again, but comic characters are finding wider acceptance.  Additionally, few people expect all comic books to be about superheroes in tights these days.  Video games are also finding broader markets penetration.  Eventually, cartoons will be allowed to grow beyond the "safe for children" stamp of approval but it will be slow going.  But, provided there isn't another government sanctioned backlash as there was in the '50s, cartoons will find an audience for adult drama.  After all, animated adult comedy is already available on both TV and the theaters.