Avatar image for govermentcheese
govermentcheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By govermentcheese

You know how they make these video games like grand theft auto based on one city. I wonder if they will ever make a game big enough based on the whole U.S.A.  using information from google.I wonder if  its even posible..Maybee one day ..
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Black_Rose

That's a ridiculous idea

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Karmum
@govermentcheese said:
" You know how they make these video games like grand theft auto based on one city. I wonder if they will ever make a game big enough based on the whole U.S.A.  using information from google.I wonder if  its even posible..Maybee one day .. "
That would probably too strenuous, as no developing team would want to go into such detail like that. If that were to happen, the detail would be quite narrow, and have little depth. I don't think there would be enough appreciative gamers for developers to do that. To be honest, something like that is what I envisioned in my own video-game idea.
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By c1337us

That would be a pretty big game world indeed. It would also suck ass because everything in the game would be so spread out and a pain in the ass to travel between.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Coltonio7

The Last Guy

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@govermentcheese said:
" You know how they make these video games like grand theft auto based on one city. I wonder if they will ever make a game big enough based on the whole U.S.A.  using information from google.I wonder if  its even posible..Maybee one day .. "
It would take lifetimes to program an entire country.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Diamond

It's a complex question.  The fight you're always fighting when making ANY game is fidelity versus quantity.  You can have a massive budget, but to make a game with a GTA4 level of fidelity the size of the whole US it'd take billions if not trillions of manhours and probably most of the world's GDP for a matter of years.

You have stuff like Flight Simulator, but the ground is rarely articulated well, it's mostly randomly placed objects.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheMustacheHero

That would be an epic game...

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Karmum
@JeffGoldblum said:
" @govermentcheese said:
It would take lifetimes to program an entire country. "
Even the most narrow of situations (i.e. just big towns in states being created and modeled) would take countless hours. Depending on how much detail you put into the cities, and how open the world would be. It would be a fantastic idea (in my opinion) to be able to to stuff across the whole country, and traveling by different means. However, such an idea is nearly impossible, and will remain a dream.
Benjaminvdv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Benjaminvdv

Can it be done? Without a doubt, I'm certain that there will be a day that this can be done. The question is, what is the use? Size doesn't matter, it's what you do with it that matters... seriously though, you can create such a huge world, but then what? How do you keep that interesting? How would you go about that you will actually see everything that the game has to offer? And what would the purpose be? It's simply not practical.
You're better off with a smaller fun world, then a big ass world that takes forever to get to some point.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Lashe

Can we call it Third Life?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ryanwho
@TheMustacheHero said:
" That would be an epic game... "
Like Fuel? Yeah, this idea is stupid. Quality over quantity.
RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RipTheVeins

Maybe start small and make a game with all of Japan, and then it could be the first good Godzilla game, with either slight top-down camera or a 45 degree slanted angle looking down at the ground, since then there wouldn't have to be as much detail going into the textures on the ground and buildings and combine it with the engine they use for destruction in Red Faction: Guerrilla.  

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By delta_ass

I think that's called The Matrix.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Drebin_893

Remember people complaining about the travel in Far Cry 2? Yeah, exactly.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ninjakiller

It would be called, "Never Leave Your House Again."

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Not in today's time.  But I can see something like that happening in the future.  See the jump that has happened in video games between now and 20 years ago?  A huge one.  Imagine how games will be 50 years from now.

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By NickM

The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall. It's contents are for the most part, randomly generated, but the overall area is 62394 (no typos) square miles and has a population of 750000 people.

By comparison, San Andreas is just under 14 (again, no typos) square miles. 

It's area twice as big as that of the island of Great Britain. 

Edit: Oh, crap. should've read the original post more carefully, rather than talk about the topic title, sorry. But, still, that's interesting trivia
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By iam3green

i would say no, just no. it would take to long to travel and the detail would have to be really there. i wouldn't expect it until games can play in like 1 tarabite that won't be for a while. we are just getting into getting tarabite hard drive. i think it might be a boring game to play if u had to go to new york to washington or something like that. 

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FrankCanada97

Microsoft Flight Simulator 10, the entire globe is modelled.

Avatar image for govermentcheese
govermentcheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By govermentcheese

I think it will be available someday. It would be the coolest game. Maybee they should start with just one state then each couple of years add a state. They could start off with arkansas and whiskey running in that state. I got a feeling its comming sooner than we think...
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ryanwho
@ninjakiller said:
" It would be called, "Never Leave Your House Again." "
I suppose that's the goal he wants to reach. People trying to fill a void in their lives with neverending games are ruining the pacing of games for people who have a life and just want a good time. I don't like it.
FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FrankCanada97

Honestly, if people made mods utilizing Microsoft Flight Simulator 10, the possibilities would be limitless. Of course, doing so would take years considering the amount of work one must do.

Dirty_Harry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Dirty_Harry

That would suck.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Azteck

Only if that world had invented teleporters.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By penguindust
@govermentcheese said:
I think it's possible in the future.  If somehow they could combine all the images gathered from Google-Streetview and stitch them together then run them through a game engine, some developer might be able to make a pretty realistic "Cannonball Run" racing game.  I'm not sure how much fun it would be, but you'd get to drive on any street in the US.
W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

To say never is extremely short sighted. If you told someone in that time period that we one day would be able to create a game as big as three of the five New York Boroughs, they would have looked at you crazy or made some of the statements that many of you have made here. Will it be fun? I have no idea. Most of the Three dimensional Grand Theft Auto games have turned me off because I hated driving everywhere. Then they released fast travel via cabs with GTA IV and I was estatic. The story made me stop playing. If there is a reason to have the entire United States as the playable area, I would like to see it. What I can see in the more immediate future is a game that city hops and has you travel from place to place on planes.