#1 Posted by billnyethesciencepie (1332 posts) -

Well well, whats all this then? 

So,apparently, the Bing search engine is being accused, by google no less, of stealing search results from them. It's quite long, so heres the post on the 

Google blog explaining it. http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/microsofts-bing-uses-google-search.html 

Wait a minute, MICROSOFT STOLE SOMETHING? Shocking, I am shocked. 

Yet again further proof of Microsoft being unable to come up with ideas themselves. 

#2 Edited by Everyones_A_Critic (6270 posts) -

Meh, no one that knows what they're doing uses bing anyway.

#3 Posted by melcene (3056 posts) -

What I want to know is if they tried the same experiment with any other search providers, and what the results were. 

I just used Yahoo to look up one of their search results...  [juegosdeben1ogrande]  and got the exact same first result that both Bing and Google got.

#4 Posted by Skytylz (4015 posts) -

I've heard that Bing is starting to give better results than Google, but I never use it so who knows.

#5 Posted by hexx462 (506 posts) -
@Everyones_A_Critic said:
" Meh, no one uses bing anyway. "
It's gained traction since it was made the default search engine on IE. That should read "Meh, no one that knows what they're doing uses bing anyway".
#6 Posted by damnboyadvance (4054 posts) -

Am I supposed to be mad at Microsoft? I mean, who cares?

#7 Posted by nemt (863 posts) -

Google is quickly becoming as much of a crybaby company as Apple.  

Also I like how TC considers speculation from Google themselves "proof" of wrongdoing against Google.
#8 Posted by Arkasai (701 posts) -

The circumstances surrounding it are a little shaky...like the fact that you have to have be using IE and have search recommendations turned on, while using the Bing toolbar.  Though the way they proved it was pretty cleaver, they basically proved that MS was somehow using the data they were collecting through those search toolbars to improve their search results, often giving you the identical pages returned on a google search.

#9 Edited by FalseDeity (229 posts) -
#10 Posted by GetEveryone (4454 posts) -
@Skytylz said:
" I've heard that Bing is starting to give better results than Google, but I never use it so who knows. "
BLASPHEMY! 

Bing looks disgusting, so I will never use it. Likewise for everything that isn't Google.
#11 Posted by Azteck (7447 posts) -
@GetEveryone said:
" @Skytylz said:
" I've heard that Bing is starting to give better results than Google, but I never use it so who knows. "
BLASPHEMY!  Bing looks disgusting, so I will never use it. Likewise for everything that isn't Google. "
Yup, agreed. I really just dislike how the thing looks, and how it displays results.  It's not nearly as straight-forward as Google.
#12 Posted by danimal_furry (1453 posts) -

From what I read, it was less of an accusation and more a proven fact.

#13 Posted by nemt (863 posts) -

Google, the largest advertising company in the history of the world, is accusing others of misusing customer data.
#14 Posted by melcene (3056 posts) -

See that's exactly why I can't use Google.  It's so bland.  Nothing but a search box.  I prefer Yahoo.

#15 Posted by iam3green (14388 posts) -

meh o well. i don't use bing at all. o well, i'm not surprised microsoft steals ideas all the time. the mii's say hi to the avatars.

#16 Posted by jking47 (1190 posts) -

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery I guess.
Google had a clever little experiment there that the Bing.com blog didn't refute at all. "Anonymous click stream data" from 20 google engineers really wouldn't move these unrelated sites to the top of these near gibberish searches.

#17 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

Bing commercials blow. Talk about trying too hard...

#18 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3500 posts) -

Bing is okay for some stuff, but it has horrible image results for very specific searches. By the way, I'm not assuming MS is guilty of anything just because a competitor says they are. I don't really know enough about search engine coding to say one way or another.