leglevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By leglevy
Hi everyone,

Game Career Guide has posted a full chapter of "Game Development Essentials: Game QA & Testing."

The chapter focuses on how to break into the industry as a game tester. It also touches on different points of entry (Craigslist, developer forums, modding), resume building, interview tips and everything else in between.

You can read the chapter here:

If anyone has any questions, feel free to send them to me in PVT. I'll do my best to answer all of them :)
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

Being a game tester is one of the last things I would want to do.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By iam3green
@Meltbrain said:
" @natetodamax said:
" Being a game tester is one of the last things I would want to do. "
Yeah, even as a stepping stone into the industry some of the horror stories I've heard of people doing it do scare me considerably. "
what kind of stories? i want to hear them.

game testing isn't really all that great. u have to test everything out. u have to walk around and jump around. game testing isn't something  i would want to do. if i wanted to get my name out i would go around town giving my resume out to people. u never know who u give the resume to. it would lead to getting a job somewhere.
Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

Game testing sounds like torture to me.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Vinchenzo

$40 for this book? No thanks. This is just blatant advertising, but your hair is free-flowing so I doubt this thread will be locked.

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CowMuffins

You call this getting into the industry? More like being a slave of the industry.

leglevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By leglevy

Hi guys,

I actually worked as a game tester myself... In Quake 4 (PC) and Call of Duty 3 (all platforms). It was nowhere near as bad as some of you describe it.

Sometimes, it was fun as hell.Very intense, lots of stress, competiton. But catered dinners were great when we had to stay late (at Treyarch).

Hours were insane, yes, and one of the reasons I left development. But testing taught me A LOT. It's all in the book.

Believe it or not, I can thank testing for my current job -- I currenly do PR for independent game developers. The firm I worked for launched the TurboGraphx-16 and the 3DO, among a bunch of famous games.

Come on, at least read the chapter I mention in the original post. I know the book is expensive, but that is because it's in full-color, glossy paper.

And it's a textbook! :)

Cheers,

Luis Levy