Bus Monitor Bullies; What's a fair punishment?

• 94 results
Choffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Choffy

Not sure how many of you have seen the video floating around the internet about a bus full of assholes making 68-year-old bus monitor Karen Klein eventually cry by going on and on about how fat she is for over 10 minutes. The video's below:

To me, this video goes hand-in-hand with the Fat Shaming in America thread that's been on the boards and is utterly disgusting. There's an Indiegogo devoted to Karen that originally had a goal of $5,000 to give her a vacation but is now sitting at over $325,000 and going towards her retirement.

Still, I feel sorry for the poor woman and would like to get your guys' insight on what a just punishment for these kids should be. Obviously, the internet doesn't forget and they're real names and Facebook's have been discovered (I won't bother posting links to them; you can find links to them pretty easily elsewhere), so I'd imagine finding jobs will be next to impossible for these kids and the repercussions will come later when they truly matter.

What say you?

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#2  Edited By Kidavenger

Why is there a bus monitor in the first place?

When I went to school, if you caused shit on the bus, you quickly found yourself banned from the bus and either walking to school or putting your parents out which is even worse.

InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By InternetCrab

Well, first of all probably expelled from the school for a limited amount of time (3-4 months or so) and also probably a tantrum from your parents.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Yes that sucks but no, I'm not going to help punish bullies that are kids. Kids do stupid things. Yes they need to learn better, but the internet's idea of justice is to completely ruin someone's life and that I am not ok with. This whole internet mob mentality needs to stop.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Hamz

When I was in secondary/high school we had certain members of the senior/sixth year designated as prefects who were tasked with maintaining safe conduct and order on the school bus, if kids got out of line they usually found themselves swiftly pinned against a window and told to shut the hell up or else basically and it worked. Every so often there would be one or more kids that would act like these retards in that video and that usually ended with some typical school-yard justice where everyone turned a blind eye while one of the prefects leathered the fuck into the obnoxious little brats.

I know when I eventually became a prefect there were also three other ones on my bus, we weren't shy in putting little shits like those in that video in their place. If they persisted then we just told the deputy-head teacher about it and those kids would often find themselves banned from using the bus for a few weeks forcing their parents to front the cost of a taxi or to drive them directly. Hell have no fury like a parent forced to do a school run because their kid can't sit on a bus for 15 minutes without acting like a complete prat.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jking47

The internet is taking care of this one. Sucks that she got insulted like that, those little shits are stupid as fuck, but $330k is a good way to heal those wounds, and with the kids real life info being found out I suspect they will be getting some harassment of their own.

scalpel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By scalpel

I don't know why there was a bus monitor in the first place. Allowing large lizards near kids is just asking for trouble.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By penguindust

100 hours of community service at a home for the elderly....and a paddlin'.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By intro

Just set them all on fire in the middle of a desert. If you can really talk shit to an old lady, right in front of her face and laugh about it, you're worthless.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#10  Edited By Kidavenger

@JeanLuc said:

I'm not going to help punish bullies that are kids. Kids do stupid things.

If you don't get punished, how do you learn, just letting it go on is just going to let these kids grow up into adults that do stupid things.

I don't see what is wrong with revoking their bus privileges. If the parents get pissed off, it's really their fault for raising a pos kid.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DukesT3

Sent to prison and stabbed. These kids are nothing more than just punks who deserve a good ol' ass kicking. Fuck kids today.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By napalm

Taken out back and having the shit beat out of them with a fucking cricket bat. No discrimination. TASTE MY WOOD, YOU FUCKING FUCKERS.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By uhtaree

Caning. In Singapore. For flavor.

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By gearhead

They should be publicly shamed and made fun of like this woman was. Teach them how it feels.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jimbo

Not sure if anybody deserves $300k for being called mean names for ten minutes, but yeah the kids clearly need putting in their place.  It's like a different world to me - there was no point in my childhood where any of us would have been allowed to get away with acting like that towards an adult for more than 2 seconds. The concept of a bus monitor is pretty sad to me.

krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By krazy_kyle

To me, 10 minutes of name calling seems worth $325,000

EDIT: Ok, I watched the vid and I would pay the government $325,000 to give me 10 minutes to beat the shit out of each kid.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By _Zombie_

I say give the little shitheads a beating.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By WarlordPayne

Those kids need to be kicked off of the bus for a year at least. People who raise kids like that don't give a shit about anyone else. The only way to get their parents to punish them is by directly inconveniencing the parents.

RTSlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By RTSlord

Death. because theyre absolutely horrible people

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#20  Edited By Yummylee

@Napalm said:

Taken out back and having the shit beat out of them with a fucking purple dildo-bat. No discrimination. TASTE MY FLOPPY WOOD, YOU FUCKING FUCKERS.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jrinswand

I could only watch about 30 seconds of that video. What is wrong with kids these days?

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Yummylee said:

@Napalm said:

Taken out back and having the shit beat out of them with a fucking purple dildo-bat. No discrimination. TASTE MY FLOPPY WOOD, YOU FUCKING FUCKERS.

This, pretty much.
Learn to fucking respect people.
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By Meowshi

I think they should be suspended, like any other kid would be who does something like this in the real world.

Oh wait, I forgot, this is the internet. Let me rephrase my response:

THESE LITTLE SHITS SHOULD BE CASTRATED, THROWN INTO AN OIL DRUM AND SET ON FIRE. EVERY DAY THEY CONTINUE LIVING IS A ANOTHER DAY THE ANGER SWELLS INSIDE ME LIKE WILDFIRE.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By napalm

@braveortega said:

Caning. In Singapore. For flavor.

I just Google image searched, "Singapore caning," and good God, that's almost too much.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By stinky

@WarlordPayne said:

Those kids need to be kicked off of the bus for a year at least. People who raise kids like that don't give a shit about anyone else. The only way to get their parents to punish them is by directly inconveniencing the parents.

sadly probably true.

otzlowe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By otzlowe

It's not kids today that are the problem. Every kid this age has the potential to be this awful. It's that buses don't have nearly enough regulation anymore.

Being someone only out of high school for about four years now, there was never anyone that could actually enforce any sort of restraint on anyone on the bus. The bus driver could write kids up, but that usually only happened if a fight started. Beyond that, all they could do was look up every now and then and be prickly assholes to everyone because a handful of kids caused all the problems. My particular bus went through at least six bus drivers in the course of a year because of how bad the kids acted, but there was nothing the bus drivers could do to stop it.

It's like people are expecting somehow that a bunch of kids stuck in box for a half an hour will ever result in anything but chaos and that one pre-goddamn-occupied adult is sufficient to quell said chaos. So I'd put away the "kids these days" complaints. That's not the problem here.

---

On topic: I feel bad for this lady, since these are the conditions my drivers were put in pretty much constantly. Really, I just fuckin' hate school buses. However, lets not hunt these kids down and ruin their lives with the internet. They're shitheads, but they're in an environment that basically compels them to be shitheads.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheHumanDove

Its fuckin weird bros. When i was there age, no one would dare act that way and say that shit to an adult/old person.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By zeforgotten

Beat 'em with a bat. 
I read somewhere that a dad had called into a radio station somewhere and told them that his kid was one of the kids in the video (at least the voice of) and he said he would discipline him. 
Problem for the dad was having to pick between his foot or his fist

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29  Edited By golguin

Something that would have a lasting effect on their lives. It's best to mark these kinds of kids early for change or to let everyone become aware of what they'll become. I think expulsion, a fine, and a bit of internet fame so that everyone knows what they did should be good.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

I think the internet has a handle on this one. 4chan posted all their info and everyone close to them 

Silvergun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Silvergun

@PenguinDust said:

100 hours of community service at a home for the elderly....and a paddlin'.

That seems about right. I wonder how eager they'd be to be sadistic to old women if they got said paddlin' in front of their whole school. I mean, you can suspend, expel, etc. all you want and I doubt they'll really care (unless their parents come down on them), but turn them into the laughing stock of their whole school, they'll care about that.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By WMWA
@Jrinswand
I could only watch about 30 seconds of that video. What is wrong with kids these days?
Same here. Tried watching it yesterday and today, can't make it past a minute or so. It made me feel frustrated that shit like this happens and helpless that there's nothing I can do about it
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By iam3green

i saw this the other day. pretty sad that kids don't know how to respect people.

in elementary school i had a bus monitor. when he she told you to shut up you did.

the kids should be banned from the bus.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By tim_the_corsair
@Napalm

Taken out back and having the shit beat out of them with a fucking cricket bat. No discrimination. TASTE MY WOOD, YOU FUCKING FUCKERS.

That's what my old priest used to say, only it wasn't actually a cricket bat
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

They should be banned from the bus, and maybe suspended for a while. @Jrinswand said:

We need to stop with this weird mentality that only 'kids these days' are the ones doing these kinds of things. I'm almost positive that when I was in school, there was probably a bus full of shitty kids somewhere in the world making life hell for someone. Sometimes kids are jerks, and this has been going on for ages. I'm sick of people seeing these videos and jumping to the conclusion that all kids are assholes. It's just a load of crap. My high school wasn't full of assholes when I was in school, and I'm positive most aren't these days, either.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Justin258

@Hamz said:

When I was in secondary/high school we had certain members of the senior/sixth year designated as prefects who were tasked with maintaining safe conduct and order on the school bus, if kids got out of line they usually found themselves swiftly pinned against a window and told to shut the hell up or else basically and it worked. Every so often there would be one or more kids that would act like these retards in that video and that usually ended with some typical school-yard justice where everyone turned a blind eye while one of the prefects leathered the fuck into the obnoxious little brats.

I know when I eventually became a prefect there were also three other ones on my bus, we weren't shy in putting little shits like those in that video in their place. If they persisted then we just told the deputy-head teacher about it and those kids would often find themselves banned from using the bus for a few weeks forcing their parents to front the cost of a taxi or to drive them directly. Hell have no fury like a parent forced to do a school run because their kid can't sit on a bus for 15 minutes without acting like a complete prat.

I like the idea of giving a few kids that can restrain themselves the power to deal with the kids who can't.

Dexter_Morgan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Dexter_Morgan_

What a bunch of MOTHER FUCKING

STUPID ASSHOLE

CUNT STABBING BITCH CLOBBERING HULK ENGRAVING PETER GAZING SANAVA BITCHES!

If I were there, I would back hand every mother fucker there. Even the girls.

She reminds me of my bubby and now all I want to do is call her up and tell her how much I lover her :/

Poor lady... I wish I could somehow find her and give her a really big hug and maybe even a kiss on the cheek if its not too weird.

THIS RUINED MY DAY! Thanks a lot.

Dexter_Morgan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Dexter_Morgan_

@The_Laughing_Man said:

I think the internet has a handle on this one. 4chan posted all their info and everyone close to them

I love this. I shouldn't, but I do.

Assholes deserve what ever comes there way...

ManU_Fan10ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ManU_Fan10ne

i think public humiliation is a good way to start with punishment.

Edit: also, how could those kids do that to an older person, it's somewhat understandable when kids do it to kids (understandable, but still very wrong), but when a kid does that to an adult, thats just wrong.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MikkaQ

This trend of croud-funding insane amounts of money for people who haven't done anything particularly interesting has got to stop. Or at least have some kind of limit. Like yeah it's sweet that people would raise $5000 for a vacation, but no one needs $325,000 for getting pushed around. That's close to the 400,000 that Double Fine asked for their game. Remember when that sounded crazy?

I see the potential for con-artists to try and make a viral video to scam money with sympathy.

And as for punishment, the burning scorn of the entire internet is pretty harsh as it is. They don't forget stuff quickly. They'll have a lot of trouble in their daily lives since their info is out there.

Also what's a bus monitor?

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41  Edited By wrighteous86

They should be rewarded for fat shaming her. Clearly she went home and decided to go on a diet. They did her a favor. (That's how this works, right?)

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By laserbolts

Jesus those kids were relentless. Think they would have a heart and at least stop once she was crying. Pretty crazy she got 300 grand or whatever for being insulted for 10 minutes. You can beat the shit out of me for 10 minutes for half of that. Also I didn't know bus monitors existed. When I was a kid there was just a driver and she was awesome. Fucking bought us all ice cream one day. Bummer she died. @Dexter_Morgan_: what is a bubby?

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MikeGosot

I don't believe that punishment works.

@Otzlowe said:

They're shitheads, but they're in an environment that basically compels them to be shitheads.
That's not an excuse to what they have done. That's like saying that you can steal money when someone forgets their wallet, because the environment compels you to be a thief.
otzlowe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By otzlowe

@MikeGosot said:

@Otzlowe said:
They're shitheads, but they're in an environment that basically compels them to be shitheads.
That's not an excuse to what they have done. That's like saying that you can steal money when someone forgets their wallet, because the environment compels you to be a thief.

That's not really a good analogy. Maybe if your analogy is based around kids with the assumption that they're not fully understanding of the consequences of their actions. Moreover, peer pressure is a different beast than greed.

Finally, it's not an excuse (unless you think having their lives completely ruined by the internet is a just punishment). It's perspective. They deserve suspension and talking to. Y'know, the punishment we use in situations like this, for stupid kids who make stupid choices without realizing what they're doing. I hated these fuckers when I was younger, but I have perspective enough to realize that I was an asshole at that age too, just like everyone else.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MikeGosot
@Otzlowe said:

@MikeGosot said:

@Otzlowe said:

That's not really a good analogy. Maybe if your analogy is based around kids with the assumption that they're not fully understanding of the consequences of their actions. Moreover, peer pressure is a different beast than greed.

Finally, it's not an excuse (unless you think having their lives completely ruined by the internet is a just punishment). It's perspective. They deserve suspension and talking to. Y'know, the punishment we use in situations like this, for stupid kids who make stupid choices without realizing what they're doing. I hated these fuckers when I was younger, but I have perspective enough to realize that I was an asshole at that age too, just like everyone else.

That's a bad assumption(Or i am incredibly optimistic.). Let's just agree to disagree in that aspect.
Also, i was wrong about the excuse stuff, my bad.
Avatar image for deathstriker666
deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By deathstriker666

All that pity money.... Funny how people work. A shit school like that clearly needs some extra money, yet I doubt a dime will ever go to them. She'll never need to be caretaker ever again with all that money. An easy retirement for her thanks to the Internet

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#47  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

@Kidavenger said:

@JeanLuc said:

I'm not going to help punish bullies that are kids. Kids do stupid things.

If you don't get punished, how do you learn, just letting it go on is just going to let these kids grow up into adults that do stupid things.

I don't see what is wrong with revoking their bus privileges. If the parents get pissed off, it's really their fault for raising a pos kid.

And if you read the rest of my post you'll see I was referring to me personally punishing them. Yes they did something wrong and should be punished but I not going to do it in that internet mob mentality way,

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

@PrivateIronTFU said:

They should be banned from the bus, and maybe suspended for a while. @Jrinswand said:

We need to stop with this weird mentality that only 'kids these days' are the ones doing these kinds of things. I'm almost positive that when I was in school, there was probably a bus full of shitty kids somewhere in the world making life hell for someone. Sometimes kids are jerks, and this has been going on for ages. I'm sick of people seeing these videos and jumping to the conclusion that all kids are assholes. It's just a load of crap. My high school wasn't full of assholes when I was in school, and I'm positive most aren't these days, either.

I think there should be a reaction along the lines of "Holy shit, what's wrong with kids these days?" but we should also be trying to figure out what the hell happened to empathy. Where did it go for the kids? I'm sure we were all little shits at the age of 12, but even at my worst, I couldn't imagine telling an older woman that her children should kill themselves and then laugh in unison with others about it. It's a systematic problem, and kids don't have to be assholes. We, as a society, have to start answering to what's making them that way--which is probably society itself but that's a whole other ordeal.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#49  Edited By Little_Socrates

All I know is wants them destroyed and I can't say I disagree. Not proper of me, but there's a reason I'm only interested in teaching high school.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#50  Edited By Silver-Streak

So, to start with: Being overweight is a large issue in the world today, American and Europe especially. While a person shouldn't be shamed nor feel ashamed for being overweight, or for any personal health concern unrelated to illness or disorder (even self inflicted ones) they should be conscious of it. They need to either make a conscious decision to live with it, or a conscious decision to fix it.

That being said, unless someone is forcing /another person/ to share in their weight gain (there are a lot of cases of parents doing this nowadays. When they start gaining weight they force their kids to eat more), there is 0 reason to ridicule or harass them. That is that person's body, not yours, it is their choice to do with it as they please.

Bullying as a whole needs to up and die. Until bullying dies, we cannot have Star Trek Utopia. I want goddamn Star Trek.

That being said, the punishment from this is entirely obvious. Banning from the public bus system, and detention/temporary expulsion, depending on which policy the school adheres to.