Can someone expalin to me why American english is so different?

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for bigchickendinner
BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BigChickenDinner

I mean really how in the fuck did we go from cheque to check? Or honour to honor? Fucking Americans, you know its bad when you're ashamed of the country you were born in.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By emergency

Wait, the american english for Cheque is Check? Well that's unnecessarily confusing :P

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

@emergency said:

Wait, the american english for Cheque is Check? Well that's unnecessarily confusing :P

I think they changed that because otherwise, it would be pronounced "che-kway."

StormTrooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By StormTrooper

@BigChickenDinner said:

you know its bad when your ashamed of the country you were born in.

you're. it's a contraction for "you are" - or is that different in the queen's english, as well?

BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BigChickenDinner

@emergency said:

Imagine how I feel >_<'

DopeToast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DopeToast

I think the differences in the language have probably been developing for hundreds of years, and it doesn't really seem like something to get angry about. The differences are so small and insignificant that it doesn't really affect reading or speaking the language at all.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By BraveToaster

IRONY!

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By toowalrus

Languages change and evolve, man. Here's a news flash- modern British English didn't exist a few hundred years ago, either.

BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BigChickenDinner

@StormTrooper said:

@BigChickenDinner said:

you know its bad when your ashamed of the country you were born in.

you're. it's a contraction for "you are" - or is that different in the queen's english, as well?

Thank god for my friendly spell checker, its hard to type, eat, and talk on the phone all at the same time you know!

Oh and thank you for shaming us Americans once again, not catching the fact that I am, you know, an American.

Avatar image for deactivated-64540c94d2d0f
deactivated-64540c94d2d0f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Many of those spelling changes you reference were proposed by Noah Webster. People thought they made sense, so they adopted them. There have been very few successful attempts to reform the English spelling system (which is atrocious) on either side of the pond, but Webster, for whatever reason, was successful at least in those few areas.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Ramone

Can everyone just ignore BigChickenDinner from now on? He keeps making really dumb threads.

BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BigChickenDinner

@Ramone said:

Can everyone just ignore BigChickenDinner from now on? He keeps making really dumb threads.

Until I took an arrow to the knee.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bicycleham

@BigChickenDinner said:

@Ramone said:

Until I took an arrow to the knee.

Yep. Get the fuck out.

DopeToast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DopeToast

@Ramone said:

This.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

I was born in America...

BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BigChickenDinner

@Juvenfly said:

Many of those spelling changes you reference were proposed by Noah Webster. People thought they made sense, so they adopted them. There have been very few successful attempts to reform the English spelling system (which is atrocious) on either side of the pond, but Webster, for whatever reason, was successful at least in those few areas.

This is a nice, productive post, thank you@Ramone said:

You sir are a dick, if you don't find interest in a thread there is no need to bash the OP or declare the topic is dumb. Gooday' to you.<-- see what I did there?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By Animasta

yeah you're making too many topics and they are about dumb things, so... you are a Bad Poster

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By laserbolts

Some people just shouldn't make threads.

BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BigChickenDinner

@Animasta said:

yeah you're making too many topics and they are about dumb things, so... you are a Bad Poster

Psst... I know who you are..... Hail Sithis

Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Xtrememuffinman

Americans just fucking hate the letter "U".

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By GreggD

I will say this. The British usage of s' in words instead of z's is bullshit. the letter z already has limited use, so why limit it even further?

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Then move somewhere else you stupid fuck.

@Xtrememuffinman said:

Americans just fucking hates the letter "U".

Also this.

BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BigChickenDinner

@GreggD said:

I will say this. The British usage of s' in words instead of z's is bullshit. the letter z already has limited use, so why limit it even further?

My question is why do they call z, zed?

nixatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By nixatron

@BigChickenDinner: Oh go fuck yourself with your stupid little skyrim meme that isnt even that funny. I bet you thought you were really fucking clever when you came up with that one all by yourself. except its been used about a billion times over again and isnt orginal or funny.

BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BigChickenDinner

@nixatron said:

@BigChickenDinner: Oh go fuck yourself with your stupid little skyrim meme that isnt even that funny. I bet you thought you were really fucking clever when you came up with that one all by yourself. except its been used about a billion times over again and isnt orginal or funny.

Yes, I can feel your teenage angst raging inside of you, JOIN THE DARK SIDE LITTLE ONE!!!

spartanlolz92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By spartanlolz92

its that he dislike this topic its the op comes off ass snide. the way i see it the dictionary consider both right

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By Dagbiker
@spartanlolz92

its that he dislike this topic its the op comes off ass snide. the way i see it the dictionary consider both right

An asshole Dave Snider or Dave Sniders ass?
PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@BigChickenDinner said:

@nixatron said:

Yes, I can feel your teenage angst raging inside of you, JOIN THE DARK SIDE LITTLE ONE!!!

I don't think you can talk about teenage angst when you make threads whining about how the music you like is getting popular.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PillClinton

I thought this was going to be about the differences between the sort of flat, direct sounding American/Canadian accent and the more rounded, kind of "flourishy" sounding accents of just about every other English speaking nation. That, I find quite a bit more interesting.

BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BigChickenDinner

@spartanlolz92 said:

Sorry, your terribly broken English does not work in the Queens English or American English.

BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BigChickenDinner

@PeasantAbuse said:

@BigChickenDinner said:

@nixatron said:

I don't think you can talk about teenage angst when you make threads whining about how the music you like is getting popular.

Well, I haven't made that thread yet, you might have confused my thread about the dangers of the rave scene becoming so popular, the lack of informed ravers and little kids dying, ruining the vibe of raving, with some other thread about music.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By McGhee

You and Yagami should get together and talk about how super awesome and misunderstood you both are.

Helimocopter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Helimocopter

Cos way back in the revlusonary war Murrca was all like, fuck you King Britto, we want our own tee!

Christ that kind of hurt to type.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#34  Edited By bibamatt
@GreggD

You do realise that it's been 's' in those words for a loooong time before Americans decided to replace them with 'z' (as pointed out in a previous post in the thread)...? The English aren't 'limiting' z's use, they're using it in the correct form of the English language. Just not (newer, altered) American English.
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By Brendan

@McGhee said:

You and Yagami should get together and talk about how super awesome and misunderstood you both are.

He's officially joined the ignorant club. There's four members now, try to guess who the other two are.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By mylifeforAiur

The difference really isn't that significant. You should probably find something more worthwhile to fulminate about, lad.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By McGhee

@Brendan said:

@McGhee said:

He's officially joined the ignorant club. There's four members now, try to guess who the other two are.

Heh, I definitely know of one other, but the fourth I'm not so sure. But I'll not single the one out. I've already bashed him enough. I'll just wait until he posts another particularly idiotic rant.

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By Matfei90

@Video_Game_King said:

@emergency said:

I think they changed that because otherwise, it would be pronounced "che-kway."

Doesn't explain the odd pronunciations like 'Arkansas'. Cheque is a far easier jump to make than that.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#39  Edited By JasonR86

I love the title to this thread.

Helimocopter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Helimocopter

@Brendan:

Its ryan and patrick right?

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Dany

I read an article awhile back in Nat Geo that the the British dialect has changed more so than the American dialect During the revolutionary war, every essentially spoke 'american', its the British dialect that has changed over the years.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By beforet

Can any one explain to me why the Scots are so different from the Brits? Can any one explain to me why the 1920s hated Jews? Can anyone explain to me why poor people in New York pronounce /r/ differently from rich people?

Can anyone explain culture to me?

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MiniPato

You're ashamed to be an American because words are spelled different? Must be nice to be you with such minor worries.

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By Gerhabio

Arbitrary differences created by distance and time.

Also, prescriptive language is for uneducated losers.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By Blackout62

Well when an empire and one its colonies dislike each other very much they start arguing over the representation of the rights of the colony till eventually the colony engages in action to assert itself as a sovereign nation. Once that sovereign nation has formed remnants of the original reigning empire such as language remain. Over 300 years later the once similar language has now become different within the two lands due to culture, regional influence, and a really big body of water.

Avatar image for deactivated-59123fe38ab28
deactivated-59123fe38ab28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I understand Ben Franklin posed the alternate spellings as an easier writin system to curb illiteracy in then mostly rural country.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By GreggD

@bibamatt said:

@GreggD

You do realise that it's been 's' in those words for a loooong time before Americans decided to replace them with 'z' (as pointed out in a previous post in the thread)...? The English aren't 'limiting' z's use, they're using it in the correct form of the English language. Just not (newer, altered) American English.

I'm speaking retroactively, of course. The fact that Z has always had such limited use in traditional British dialect is nonsense.

Avatar image for deactivated-59123fe38ab28
deactivated-59123fe38ab28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of the most sickening disparities between the dialects is the two obscenely divergent definitions of the word "flapjack". Here in good old 'Murrika, we know damn well that a flapjack is a pancake, but the English, for some God forsaken reason, had the audacity to proclaim that a flapjack is rather an oat bar. Bastards.

wafflez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49  Edited By wafflez

If you dont like American talk, then get off our internet.   Colour?!  So unnecessary

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Turambar

@chrismafuchris said:

One of the most sickening disparities between the dialects is the two obscenely divergent definitions of the word "flapjack". Here in good old 'Murrika, we know damn well that a flapjack is a pancake, but the English, for some God forsaken reason, had the audacity to proclaim that a flapjack is rather an oat bar. Bastards.

What the hell is an oat bar.