• 73 results
FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By FreakAche

So recently I've seen and heard comments from Americans referencing "Canadian accents". Now, I'm Canadian, yet when I watch American TV, I don't really notice any differences between the way you guys talk, and the way my family and friends talk, with the exception of obvious regional accents like New York, southern, etc.

Also, when I've been in the United States, I haven't really perceived an American accent that's distinct from the Canadian one. Although admittedly, most of my time in the United States has been spent pretty close to the border (mainly Minnesota and North Dakota).

So I was wondering, what you Americans think. Would you be able to tell that someone is Canadian just by hearing them speak. Also, people overseas, do you notice a difference?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

I think there's a subtle difference. Of course everyones different so I probably couldn't always tell. It's funny you mention North Dakota though because that's a place I always think of that definitely has more of a Canadian style accent. You should come a bit south and see if you still don't notice a difference.

R3Qui4M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By R3Qui4M

I think it is some syllables that we annunciate differently. I think when they say sorry, it is pronounced saw-ry. When we say it we say SOrry with an O sound. This is just my observation. I'm also canadian.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman
@R3Qui4M said:
" I think it is some syllables that we annunciate differently. I think when they say sorry, it is pronounced saw-ry. When we say it we say SOrry with an O sound. This is just my observation. I'm also canadian. "
And you say Zed. Dead giveaway.  xD
Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Grissefar
@FreakAche said:
" So recently I've seen and heard comments from Americans referencing "Canadian accents". Now, I'm Canadian, yet when I watch American TV, I don't really notice any differences between the way you guys talk, and the way my family and friends talk, with the exception of obvious regional accents like New York, southern, etc.  Also, when I've been in the United States, I haven't really perceived an American accent that's distinct from the Canadian one. Although admittedly, most of my time in the United States has been spent pretty close to the border (mainly Minnesota and North Dakota).  So I was wondering, what you Americans think. Would you be able to tell that someone is Canadian just by hearing them speak. Also, people overseas, do you notice a difference? "
Yeah, I don't really know what it's all aboot.
Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Th3_James
@JJWeatherman said:
" @R3Qui4M said:
" I think it is some syllables that we annunciate differently. I think when they say sorry, it is pronounced saw-ry. When we say it we say SOrry with an O sound. This is just my observation. I'm also canadian. "
And you say Zed. Dead giveaway.  xD "
I say Zee, or Zed depending on the context
Avatar image for outofbounds9000
OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

Im canadian,Edmonton here :) and i dont think its such a damn difference between canadian accents and american accents. Expect the words,(for example aboot). I lived in the USA since i was 5. And i dont speak an american accent!

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By KaosAngel

Do we have any Canadians on the site that would be willing to say, "Do you like hockey, eh?"

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Hourai

I'm Canadian and even I can notice our accents. We pronounce about as aboat, out as oot, and say eh every couple sentences. 

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FreakAche
@Hourai: But, I haven't noticed a difference in the way that Americans say those words. Plus "eh" has nothing to do with accent. It's a colloquialism.
eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By eric_buck

I find us Canadians sound slightly Irish.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By WickedCestus

I never noticed the difference until someone mentioned it, but I think it's mostly people from Ontario and Newfoundland/Quebec that have accents. I've only recently been starting to hear it. I live about five minutes away from the American border, so maybe I'm different. 

EDIT: I live by Vancouver by the way.

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Brenderous

I'm Canadian, and I don't know anyone who talks like they do in that movie Fargo. 
I think the Americans are thinking of the Newfoundland accent, which we Canadians also poke fun at:P 
I notice no difference between the way anyone here talks and the way they talk on any american TV show. 

Then again, I'm from Alberta.

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Brenderous
@Hourai said:

" I'm Canadian and even I can notice our accents. We pronounce about as aboat, out as oot, and say eh every couple sentences.  "

Well, we don't in western Canada. Where are you from?
MadeinFinland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By MadeinFinland
@OutOfBounds9000 said:
"  Im canadian,Edmonton here :) and i dont think its such a damn difference between canadian accents and american accents. Expect the words,(for example aboot). I lived in the USA since i was 5. And i dont speak an american accent! "
Edmonton? Sick! Me too! 
MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Well, you'll have to go over that a-gain, because I don't know what you're talking a-boot, eh

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By tebbit

Brendan Sinclair sounds really Canadian. 

I guess it varies. Not all New Zealanders say "fush and chups", not all Australians say "throw unudder shremp on the barbie, moyte" 

But the ones that do... *shakes fist*

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HandsomeDead

There is a definite difference but it's only really in the flatter O sounds where I notice it.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lukeweizer
@Hourai said:
" I'm Canadian and even I can notice our accents. We pronounce about as aboat, out as oot, and say eh every couple sentences.  "
Are you from Nova Scotia or something? I don't speak like that. 

Maybe it's cause the West coast is the Best coast.
Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Brenderous

I'm dumbfounded by how many Canadians in this thread are saying we that say "aboot". No one says that in Alberta. 

We say about.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By natetodamax

Eh?

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By ajamafalous

There's definitely a Canadian accent (though not all Canadians have it, just like any other accent).

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

You motherfuckers say "sorry" with an "OH" sound rather than an "AH" sound. Very strange, very suspicious.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By Animasta
@Lukeweizer said:
" @Hourai said:
Are you from Nova Scotia or something? I don't speak like that.   Maybe it's cause the West coast is the Best coast. "
yeah my friend from BC basically talks like everyone does on the west coast.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Xeiphyer

There is no noticeable difference except for newfoundlanders of course. Its more of a joke these days.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CL60
@Lukeweizer said:

" @Hourai said:

Are you from Nova Scotia or something? I don't speak like that.   Maybe it's cause the West coast is the Best coast. "
I'm from Nova Scotia and I never say "eh" or "aboot" or "aboat". 

Anyway. I'm pretty sure the Canadian accent Americans notice are Newfoundlanders and stuff. Because otherwise, when I talk to an American(Not from New York, or the south) we sound exactly the same.
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BiffMcBlumpkin said:
 Very strange, very suspicious. "
Haha. Goddamnit, Biff. 
Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I am in southern Ontario at the moment and there is no difference between the people here and the people in the northern states...of course there are regional differences, but there is no "canadian accent"

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheFreeMan

It seems that Canadian accents get more pronounced the farther east you go. I live in BC, right by the coast and close to the border and I couldn't tell if you were American or Canadian here (and I thought some Americans living in my town were actually Canadian), but I went on a road-trip this summer to mid-Saskatchewan and the accent seemed to be more noticable the farther we went.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Pinworm45
@Brenderous said:
" I'm dumbfounded by how many Canadians in this thread are saying we that say "aboot". No one says that in Alberta.  We say about. "
This cliche has existed forever, and I have never once in my entire life heard anyone say "aboot", nor have I heard anyone say "eh" the way people say we say it. Not anymore than I've seen Americans say it. 

And I live in our countries capitol. So I dunno.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CL60
@Pinworm45 said:
" @Brenderous said:
" I'm dumbfounded by how many Canadians in this thread are saying we that say "aboot". No one says that in Alberta.  We say about. "
This cliche has existed forever, and I have never once in my entire life heard anyone say "aboot", nor have I heard anyone say "eh" the way people say we say it. Not anymore than I've seen Americans say it.  And I live in our countries capitol. So I dunno. "
I live in Nova Scotia, and I've never heard anybody say those. Unless they are from Newfoundland.
kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By kagato

Its kinda odd, Canadians kinda speak like us Scottish folks with an american accent, we say things like aboot and eh after stuff too.  Right enough Nova Scotia means new scotland, hey does that mean i get an automatic visa to Canada? 

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#33  Edited By vager

We Winnipeggers don't have any accents. Unless your aboriginal.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By uniform

So basically the accent of the people in Newfoundland represents the Canadian accent, so which state accent represents the United States of America?

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CL60
@uniform said:

" So basically the accent of the people in Newfoundland represents the Canadian accent, so which state accent represents the United States of America? "

The entire south and New York.
hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36  Edited By hockeymask27
@KaosAngel said:
" Do we have any Canadians on the site that would be willing to say, "Do you like hockey, eh?" "
Just saying that sounds weird. I have never said eh unless I been joking around. My uncle in Nova Scotia however. I think its really east coast thing.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By CL60
@Hockeymask27 said:
" @KaosAngel said:
" Do we have any Canadians on the site that would be willing to say, "Do you like hockey, eh?" "
Just saying that sounds weird. I have never said eh unless I been joking around. My uncle in Nova Scotia however. I think its really east coast thing. "
Bringing up Nova Scotia again?! I'm in Nova Scotia and I've never heard anybody say eh all the time, unless they are from Newfoundland.
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Bones8677
@uniform said:
" So basically the accent of the people in Newfoundland represents the Canadian accent, so which state accent represents the United States of America? "
Stereotypically it's the Texan accent that Europeans tend to think Americans speak like.
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39  Edited By Cube
@Xeiphyer said:
" There is no noticeable difference except for newfoundlanders of course. Its more of a joke these days. "
Go watch Kate Bierness on TSN. 

She is from Ontario and her accent is unbelievably Eastern. It's not just Newfoundland, it's all of East Canada (Ontario and the Atlantic) that has a totally different accent than here in the West. 

For instance, words like "Car" in the west are just... "Car". The east is more "C-ah-r" like a pirate. 
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#40  Edited By Cube
@CL60 said:
" @Lukeweizer said:

" @Hourai said:

I'm from Nova Scotia and I never say "eh" or "aboot" or "aboat".  Anyway. I'm pretty sure the Canadian accent Americans notice are Newfoundlanders and stuff. Because otherwise, when I talk to an American(Not from New York, or the south) we sound exactly the same. "
I'm from Alberta and a guy asked if I was from Minnesota. We have the same accent as them.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CL60
@Cube said:
" @Xeiphyer said:
" There is no noticeable difference except for newfoundlanders of course. Its more of a joke these days. "
Go watch Kate Bierness on TSN.  She is from Ontario and her accent is unbelievably Eastern. It's not just Newfoundland, it's all of East Canada (Ontario and the Atlantic) that has a totally different accent than here in the West.  For instance, words like "Car" in the west are just... "Car". The east is more "C-ah-r" like a pirate.  "
No it's not. I live in Nova Scotia and the majority of people I talk to here meaning everybody I've ever went to school with, do not have these severe accents you are talking about.
CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By CptChiken
@JJWeatherman said:
" @R3Qui4M said:
But Zed is how its said...
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MetalGearSunny

What are you guys talkin aboot?

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44  Edited By sagesebas
@FreakAche: You guys pronounce sorry different and about, at times they are almost identical, but certain words stick out. I think it's really cool though, and emphasizes the laid backness of Canada which is really cool.
jschmoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jschmoe
@Vager said:
"

We Winnipeggers don't have any accents. Unless your aboriginal.

"
This.
Unless you're from St. Boniface, then it's pretty likely you have a French accent.

The most common difference that stands out to me between a generic American accent and the generic (non-east-coast) Canadian accent is the pronunciation of the word  "roof".  I find most Canadians pronounce the long "o"s, as in "hoot", while most Americans pronounce it "ruff", closer to "hood".  There are, of course, exceptions.
hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By hockeymask27
@CL60 said:

" @Cube said:

" @Xeiphyer said:
Go watch Kate Bierness on TSN.  She is from Ontario and her accent is unbelievably Eastern. It's not just Newfoundland, it's all of East Canada (Ontario and the Atlantic) that has a totally different accent than here in the West.  For instance, words like "Car" in the west are just... "Car". The east is more "C-ah-r" like a pirate.  "
No it's not. I live in Nova Scotia and the majority of people I talk to here meaning everybody I've ever went to school with, do not have these severe accents you are talking about. "
Well my uncle does. Sorry I kind of mentioned N.S in the clip. It was before I saw your post.  I make sure to say again alot. Also I was born in Ontario and moved to Quebec so it not a French thing.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By JJWeatherman
@CptChiken said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @R3Qui4M said:
But Zed is how its said... "
Canadians these days.
CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By CptChiken
@JJWeatherman said:
" @CptChiken said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @R3Qui4M said:
Canadians these days. "
I'm english actually.... BOOM!
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By penguindust
@Fragstoff said:

" @FreakAche said:

" ...with the exception of obvious regional accents like New York, southern, etc.   "
aren't ALL accents regional "
Yes, but often one particular accent will be chosen as the standard for that nation's language.  In the case of the United States, the standard American accent is actually the Nebraskan accent.

Because of the bilingual thing in Canada, obviously there are more accents than the popular "a-boot" thing, eh?  Hell, you ever listen to Celine Dion talk?  How about K.D. Lang?  Both Canadians and there is a world of difference between them.  But, truth be told, whenever I think of what's supposed to be a Canadian accent, I think of what Bob and Doug McKenzie  sounded like.   Fortunately, both actors were Canadian.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By CL60
@JJWeatherman said:
" @CptChiken said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @R3Qui4M said:
Canadians these days. "
But technically the correct English pronunciation of the letter is indeed zed.