College Impressions

Lost_In_Gaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By Lost_In_Gaming

So I've been in college for about three weeks now and my overall impression of it is, "Wow.  I thought this would be fun."  To fill you in, I am going to U of Michigan-Dearborn, which is a commuter school.  I am studying to get a major in Computer Information Science (CIS).  I trust that everyone on this site knows what that is.  In short, I want to develop video games. 

I am a freshman, so I understand that there are some core classes/credits that I need to get out of the way.  At the moment, I am taking a Math class, Sociology, Psychology, and Composition.  Math is just easy as hell.  I've got a really nice Composition teacher.  My psych. class is a little boring (and so is the professor) and my sociology class is mildly interesting.  My problem with sociology is that it's a night class and after being there since 10:00 am, I just want to leave. 

So, the overall impression I mentioned earlier, stems from having a terrible schedule and really boring classes.  Plus, making that 30 minute drive 4/7 days a week becomes a huge drag (I do have a carpool). 

My question to you guys is, does it get better?  Is this how it is for everyone when they first start? Should I try finding a place that is closer, instead of still living at home to save money? 

Any advice or stories would be cool.  Thanks =)

Lost_In_Gaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Lost_In_Gaming

So I've been in college for about three weeks now and my overall impression of it is, "Wow.  I thought this would be fun."  To fill you in, I am going to U of Michigan-Dearborn, which is a commuter school.  I am studying to get a major in Computer Information Science (CIS).  I trust that everyone on this site knows what that is.  In short, I want to develop video games. 

I am a freshman, so I understand that there are some core classes/credits that I need to get out of the way.  At the moment, I am taking a Math class, Sociology, Psychology, and Composition.  Math is just easy as hell.  I've got a really nice Composition teacher.  My psych. class is a little boring (and so is the professor) and my sociology class is mildly interesting.  My problem with sociology is that it's a night class and after being there since 10:00 am, I just want to leave. 

So, the overall impression I mentioned earlier, stems from having a terrible schedule and really boring classes.  Plus, making that 30 minute drive 4/7 days a week becomes a huge drag (I do have a carpool). 

My question to you guys is, does it get better?  Is this how it is for everyone when they first start? Should I try finding a place that is closer, instead of still living at home to save money? 

Any advice or stories would be cool.  Thanks =)

karneh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By karneh

If you get frustrated for some classes/assignments just remember, the key is to make it look like you know what you are doing.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By mikeeegeee

Upon reading the title, I really just wanted to respond to this with "drink more beer and smoke more weed," but given your circumstances, that wouldn't do you a fat lot of good...

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude

I'm too old to care about school, but your name is awesome. Look there first.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By artofwar420

If by better you mean drunk chicks, then no. Otherwise I wouldn't be horny all the time. But you'll meet new friends and stuff, and you'll get the handle of how to pick better classes. Everything else is up to you really.

Want a story? I have a teacher that every class seems to go off in some crazy tangential story about how he did this thing for a big company, this lasts for about an hour, then we have 10-15 minutes of class, then he goes off again about how he had it hard because there was no one to teach him the ropes, really we probably spend 30 minutes of class talking about our actual subject. The worse part of it, is that his stories are the most boring, mind numbing stuff I've ever had to endure. It just drains the life out of me for the rest of the day.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By zombie2011

I'm in my Junior year of Mechanical Engineering and the classes have got a little harder every year but its still manageable. The best thing about college are the weekends thursday-sunday, get drunk blow of steam and forget about all your classes for 4 amazing days. Stick with it going to collage is really important. 

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kmdrkul

God I fucking hated sociology.  My teacher was such a bitch.  I remember she had made a comment about how women could be just as good engineers as men could.  Engineering is vastly dominated by men, and that's no coincidence.  When she originally said that, I rolled my eyes, she saw, and asked "do you disagree?"  I looked around, in a class strangely filled with women, and muttered "yeah, you are completely wrong."  Nobody ever talked to me in that class after that =/

Dark_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dark_Jon

I've heard that the first two years of any school are the same. After that, then it starts to get interesting.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Half of what makes college good is being around people your age 24/7. My dad did commuter college and says he missed out on a lot and really didn't enjoy it as much as he should have. That being said, don't switch to a worse school just to have more fun. You probably already know that, though.. If you're there all day, do you have time to fit in clubs or something?

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheMustacheHero

College sounds like a really fun MMO.

goldenmnk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By goldenmnk

In your case college would just be highschool again

Avatar image for commodoregroovy
CommodoreGroovy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By CommodoreGroovy

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you are bud, college freshman. Moved out of the ol' homestead, I figured it would take some time to get fully adjusted to the new lifestyle change, but I didn't realize how "set in my ways" I was.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By StaticFalconar

It gets better when you find new interest then it gets worse when you have to learn the boring aspects of those interest, rinse and repeat and thats life.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By zombie2011
@Dark_Jon said:
" I've heard that the first two years of any school are the same. After that, then it starts to get interesting. "
You heard wrong, the first two years are the best. All you do is take electives like sociology, psychology and cultural anthropology. The longer you last in college the harder the classes and less fun you have. 

@Lost_In_Gaming:
 Your class load seems pretty easy, all classes are gonna be boring no matter what so thats no big deal. Just make sure to schedule your classes early for next semester so you can get the best time slots.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By iam3green
@goldenmnk said:
" In your case college would just be highschool again "
yes, pretty much what community college is, high school that u pay for. it is how i see my college. it is alright. my schedule is weird this semester. i have class 5 days a week mon-friday, i have two three hour classes. the other semesters i only went to school 4 days. mondays are the only day i have two classes the rest i have one. i'm there for like a hour then leave.
Lost_In_Gaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lost_In_Gaming
@CommodoreGroovy said:
" Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you are bud, college freshman. Moved out of the ol' homestead, I figured it would take some time to get fully adjusted to the new lifestyle change, but I didn't realize how "set in my ways" I was. "
Was it hard making the switch, then?  Like I said, I'd like to move out at some point, but that means working more so I can pay rent.  Should I just make the best of living with an overbearing mother?
PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PowerSerj
@zombie2011 said:
" @Dark_Jon said:
" I've heard that the first two years of any school are the same. After that, then it starts to get interesting. "
You heard wrong, the first two years are the best. All you do is take electives like sociology, psychology and cultural anthropology. The longer you last in college the harder the classes and less fun you have. 

@Lost_In_Gaming:
 Your class load seems pretty easy, all classes are gonna be boring no matter what so thats no big deal. Just make sure to schedule your classes early for next semester so you can get the best time slots. "
You know, post secondary can be fun and very enlightening, as long as you're studying subjects you care about and are genuinely interested in. I don't know if you just happened to pick the wrong degree or something, but if you really are having no fun (in relation to courses) and find every class boring, shouldn't you be rethinking your strategy a bit?
Avatar image for commodoregroovy
CommodoreGroovy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CommodoreGroovy
@Lost_In_Gaming said:
" @CommodoreGroovy said:
" Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you are bud, college freshman. Moved out of the ol' homestead, I figured it would take some time to get fully adjusted to the new lifestyle change, but I didn't realize how "set in my ways" I was. "
Was it hard making the switch, then?  Like I said, I'd like to move out at some point, but that means working more so I can pay rent.  Should I just make the best of living with an overbearing mother? "
I had a situation where I could move out of my parents house without having to fork over money for accommodations. In my cicrumstances, I lucked out, however not everybody is blessed with such options. My advice is to stick it out with your parents. It's free and they can't be all that bad, right?  
Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lilburtonboy7489
@Lost_In_Gaming said:
" So I've been in college for about three weeks now and my overall impression of it is, "Wow.  I thought this would be fun."  To fill you in, I am going to U of Michigan-Dearborn, which is a commuter school.  I am studying to get a major in Computer Information Science (CIS).  I trust that everyone on this site knows what that is.  In short, I want to develop video games.  I am a freshman, so I understand that there are some core classes/credits that I need to get out of the way.  At the moment, I am taking a Math class, Sociology, Psychology, and Composition.  Math is just easy as hell.  I've got a really nice Composition teacher.  My psych. class is a little boring (and so is the professor) and my sociology class is mildly interesting.  My problem with sociology is that it's a night class and after being there since 10:00 am, I just want to leave.  So, the overall impression I mentioned earlier, stems from having a terrible schedule and really boring classes.  Plus, making that 30 minute drive 4/7 days a week becomes a huge drag (I do have a carpool).  My question to you guys is, does it get better?  Is this how it is for everyone when they first start? Should I try finding a place that is closer, instead of still living at home to save money?  Any advice or stories would be cool.  Thanks =) "
For my first two years of college, I commuted as well. I drove 45 minutes there and 45 minutes back 5 days a week. It was not fun.  Commuting sucks, period. HOWEVER, it also allowed me to save a ton of money. If I could do it again, I would do the same thing. But 2 years was the most I could do before I got tired of it. 

As for your classes, don't worry. Generals always suck, but when you get into classes you actually care about, your entire experience will change.  

As for the rest, I was never into the party scene, so I can't give any advice on that. Maintaining a 4.0 typically means that college isn't that fun, but the people that don't fuck around in college are the people who get good jobs. 
MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MiamiRedHawks
@Lost_In_Gaming: College seems crazy at first, but it gets much better. I graduated from a commuter community college and then finished up my schooling at a 4 year institution. I recommend going to a school that requires you to live on campus or near campus. You get more of the classic college experience living on or near campus.
k9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By k9
@Lost_In_Gaming: So how many units are you taking? From my personal experience I can say that never take more than 20 units, 18 should be enough to keep anyone busy for a semester. My first two years of college were not that interesting, since you have to take classes on subjects that you are not that interested in. As soon as you start taking classes for your major it will be much more fun, assuming that you like your major. If you really enjoyed your major, then go to graduate school, you will love going to school even more. The only difficult part of university life is trying to live off through limited resources.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By StarFoxA

I'm only a sophomore in high school. Looks like I have a lot to look forward to.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By zombie2011
@PowerSerj said:
" @zombie2011 said:
" @Dark_Jon said:

@Lost_In_Gaming:
 Your class load seems pretty easy, all classes are gonna be boring no matter what so thats no big deal. Just make sure to schedule your classes early for next semester so you can get the best time slots. "
You know, post secondary can be fun and very enlightening, as long as you're studying subjects you care about and are genuinely interested in. I don't know if you just happened to pick the wrong degree or something, but if you really are having no fun (in relation to courses) and find every class boring, shouldn't you be rethinking your strategy a bit? "
My major is Mechanical Engineering and i like the profession, but my courses are just really boring. 
Here are the classes i'm taking: 
 (All my professors are monotone and read directly from their powerpoint, no interaction with students during class whatsoever. The only exception is my Diff Eq. Proff.)

Differential Equations (Russian guy extremely hard to understand)
Fluid Mechanics (Chinese guy hard to understand)
Thermodynamics (Chinese guy hard to understand)
Fluids Laboratory (American TA awesome)
Design/Analysis of Mechanical Systems (Arabian guy hard to understand but he pretty funny sometimes).

All work and no play makes zombie2011 a zombie.
JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#24  Edited By JackiJinx

Commuter schools don't have a lot to offer (take from a graduate of one). Join a club or make a club. Or make some friends and start some tournaments like some of my pals did. Also, your school should have some version of a student's activities committee. Look for events that they do or help them out. 

Otherwise, yes. you'll just have to suck it up until you either graduate from the school or transfer. Four year colleges with dorms are typically the real colleges to go to, state colleges especially.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By HandsomeDead

I wish I could commute to University rather than living here. Not being into fancy dress or into the British drinking culture, nothing outside of the lectures seems to interest me.

Chipset_Seven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Chipset_Seven

Sure, math is easy when you start out (heck, I remember having to re-take algebra "joke city" as a freshman at The University of Wisconsin, Madison) but math always has a new curveball up its sleeve.  Here's the page of Dan Kalman. He's kind of a friend of mine in a way.  He used some of my software as a demonstration in one of his University classes (guess you could call him a professor).  Shoot, I thought Calculus was rough, but he emailed me a link to some of the stuff he was working on for a book while on sabbatical (completely hardcore, of course).
Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Xandurson

That's similar to how I am doing in college right now. The only difference is my school specializes in game development so all my class have to do with that and I'm taking the general ed. classes in the summer. I'm having a lot of fun so far and this is my 5th week of school.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TwoOneFive
commuting is one of the biggest reasons people dropout. it totally fucking sucks and makes you hate having to go every day. 
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#29  Edited By citizenkane

Yes, it get way better.

Lost_In_Gaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Lost_In_Gaming

Well.  I'm gonna stick it out at University of Michigan-Dearborn.  Hopefully I can get more into the game design portion next year.

phlegms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By phlegms

The key is to not just get drunk, but stay drunk.

BODDAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BODDAH

You don't really get the college experience unless you live on campus. Not to mention your freshman year will be mostly gen-eds. I'm taking mostly political science classes this year (my major), and I'm actually enjoying most of them.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#33  Edited By Tireyo
@Lost_In_Gaming: College is different for everyone. It's really hard to say if it does get better, because of different happenings and teachers and such.
mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By mikemcn

I hope the 5 minute rule is still an option, if your teacher is late, you have the right to leave.
Avatar image for deactivated-59c96a6e99d9e
deactivated-59c96a6e99d9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Lost_In_Gaming:  

With commuting. It really just depends on how nice of a schedule you have. You'll have to deal with shitty scheduling sometimes, just to make it through school on time. But when you get a really nice semester where you have some free time and can maybe leave school early in the day, it'll be alot more enjoyable. For now, I'd suggest using that time that you're stuck at school to get work done so you can spend more doing other things at home.
adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By adam_grif

Suck it up and move on. It could be worse. Boring is better than so-hard-you're-ready-to-snap. 

Although tbh, I'd go insane if I wasn't enrolled in Science as well as Computing (double degree). We did a headcount in our Programming with Data Structures lecture. Total 131 people, 3 of them females. 

Psychology is about 70% women. Giggity goo.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By Cerza

In terms of what you are studying it does get better. My advice is in the first 2 years find the professors that work for you and take their classes even if it's something you aren't really interested in. A good professor can make a non interesting subject interesting and the professor is what makes or breaks the class/academic experience. As far as everything else goes with college... well... as to whether that gets better or not isn't for me to say. All I can tell you is that as you mature you'll wake up to all the BS that goes on in that ivory tower and that makes it (the institutional side of things) a lot worse, because you'll see how so many of the schools policies, or their way of handling things, or their inner politics are just retarded and make no sense. The first year of college is the roughest, because it's the transition year. The last year is the most intense, because you're trying to finish all the requirements for your degree. I recommend taking summer courses, because by knocking off requirements earlier it makes that last year much more manageable.

Amorfati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Amorfati
@kmdrkul said:

Engineering is vastly dominated by men, and that's no coincidence.

That more likely has something to do with social pressures for men to take jobs like engineering and unconcious views that men are better suited it, rather than actual ability. The same applies for hairdressing and women, a given women is not necessarily a better hairdresser than a given man.

On average men's brains may be made up so that they make better engineers, however there are always room for exceptions. 

You do come across as a sexist/opressive twat.
tooPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By tooPrime

"Computer Information Science...  I want to develop video games."  Wait, what?  Isn't CIS database management and design?  Maybe I'm thinking of Computer Information Systems.

Lost_In_Gaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Lost_In_Gaming
@tooPrime said:
" "Computer Information Science...  I want to develop video games."  Wait, what?  Isn't CIS database management and design?  Maybe I'm thinking of Computer Information Systems. "
The Computer Information Science major has a game-design track at my school.