DAFT PUNK: IT'S HAPPENING

• 121 results
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Daft Punk is like the Daniel Day Lewis of music, you wait and wait and wait for the next performance or album and it's always worth it.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

This is very good news. I came into this thread with lukewarm enthusiasm having loved the music from TRON Legacy but not remember the other stuff I got (Discovery and Human After All) in such a great light. Giving them a re-listen now after a good long while, I am very fucking excited.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#53  Edited By Humanity

@mellotronrules: Next thing you'll be telling me is that Sleigh Bells aren't any good or some crazy nonsense!

I'm also kind of starting to see where @Hawkerace was coming from. The way people talk of Daft Punk in this thread using the highest superlatives has me somewhat perplexed. I mean I liked Technologic too but it's not like an angel giving me ear a wet willy or something.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm a firm believer the Tron Evolution movie would have been a insanely lesser experience if not for Daft Punk.

Imagine how much cooler Transformers would be with a Daft Punk soundtrack.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus said:

I should listen to Daft Punk.

I like electro music, a lot and somehow never really listened to any of their albums. If it doesn't have a video that played on TV on the music channel back when music channels used to play music i didn't hear it. What i did hear i liked though.

So yeah i should listen to some Daft Punk.

Loading Video...

This?

As much as I like Daft Punk, I cannot stand the fandom.

Same goes for anything really. No fun allowed.

You would understand if you saw them live, they don't just simply press play on a Laptop like many Electronic artists.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

@bourbon_warrior: like many electronic artists? people who play as a band (in a band setting that is) usually play stuff live as much as possible, are you sure you're not just talking about DJ sets?

bennym6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

YESSSSSSSSSS

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@animasta said:

@bourbon_warrior: like many electronic artists? people who play as a band (in a band setting that is) usually play stuff live as much as possible, are you sure you're not just talking about DJ sets?

Have you seen Daft Punk live? They were the only set during the day\night whos set just didn't sound like a CD being played. Though I would like to know what electronic acts you are talking about.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#59  Edited By penguindust

I got into Daft Punk because of Interstella 5555. I am a great fan of Leiji Matsumoto's work and seeing it combined with this amazing electronica was exhilarating. Below is a bizarre and facinating interview with Matsumoto with Bangalter and de Homem-Christo appearing along side.

Loading Video...

I hope the new album has some extraordinary videos.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Animasta

@animasta said:

Have you seen Daft Punk live? They were the only set during the day\night whos set just didn't sound like a CD being played. Though I would like to know what electronic acts you are talking about.

Loading Video...

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#61  Edited By mellotronrules

@humanity said:

@mellotronrules: Next thing you'll be telling me is that Sleigh Bells aren't any good or some crazy nonsense!

I'm also kind of starting to see where @Hawkerace was coming from. The way people talk of Daft Punk in this thread using the highest superlatives has me somewhat perplexed. I mean I liked Technologic too but it's not like an angel giving me ear a wet willy or something.

it's mostly because their last record was in 2005, and their last tour was really good. and they've influenced many of their contemporaries. but yeah, you can certainly argue their merits- BUT I WILL NOT PERMIT ANY BULLJIVE REGARDING 'DIGITAL LOVE.' I'VE JUMPED A BRO FOR LESS.

@Bourbon_Warrior- hot chip, sbtrkt, james blake...they all sorta perform like a band- BEHOLD:

http://youtu.be/q9UcDgoZZ8c - hot chip

http://youtu.be/omZWmBZmygw - sbtrkt

http://youtu.be/j78nMSCbBSU - james blake

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@animasta said:

@bourbon_warrior said:

@animasta said:

Loading Video...

That is terrible... I am offended you compare this to Daft Punk.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I feel terrible - I only really like Discovery, Alive 2007 and the remixed Tron album : /

But fuck it - hail Daft Punk.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh yeah I listened to discovery which is much better than homework... I get the fervor now even if I still don't like it all that much

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@animasta said:

oh yeah I listened to discovery which is much better than homework... I get the fervor now even if I still don't like it all that much

But you like Ke$ha so your point is invalid =)

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@humanity said:

it's mostly because their last record was in 2005, and their last tour was really good. and they've influenced many of their contemporaries. but yeah, you can certainly argue their merits- BUT I WILL NOT PERMIT ANY BULLJIVE REGARDING 'DIGITAL LOVE.' I'VE JUMPED A BRO FOR LESS.

@Bourbon_Warrior- hot chip, sbtrkt, james blake...they all sorta perform like a band- BEHOLD:

http://youtu.be/q9UcDgoZZ8c - hot chip

http://youtu.be/omZWmBZmygw - sbtrkt

http://youtu.be/j78nMSCbBSU - james blake

I see real instruments on stage, not electronic =)

Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

So excited about their collaboration with nile rodgers .As a funkateer myself, I love this all out funk direction they seem to be going in.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

yes, clearly my pop tastes invalidate my opinion

I just like my electronica music to have more going on, which is why I like Cross much better than the two DP albums I've heard.

Hawkerace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#69  Edited By Hawkerace

@bourbon_warrior said:

@hawkerace said:

As much as I like Daft Punk, I cannot stand the fandom.

Same goes for anything really. No fun allowed.

You would understand if you saw them live, they don't just simply press play on a Laptop like many Electronic artists.

But I have seen them live, as well as most of the big names you could probably think of - I'm a serious supporter of the genre and an enthusiast myself - Unlike most seriously vocal individuals who I get a little booty bothered about, hence my posts. It's just my feelings of entitlement, don't take my projecting too seriously. I already came full circle in this thread, but my feelings on fans still drive me insane. Also everyone knows the back half of Discovery is their best work, besides their productions and support of other musicians of course.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bourbon_warrior: also if that's what you're trying to say than that's dumb, because daft punk is only able to have real instruments on stage because they're hella rich.

Also the only one I can think of that satisfies that criteria is Pendulum

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@bourbon_warrior said:

@animasta said:

yes, clearly my pop tastes invalidate my opinion

I just like my electronica music to have more going on, which is why I like Cross much better than the two DP albums I've heard.

Cross?

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@animasta said:

@bourbon_warrior: also if that's what you're trying to say than that's dumb, because daft punk is only able to have real instruments on stage because they're hella rich.

Also the only one I can think of that satisfies that criteria is Pendulum

Huh? Sometimes I don't feel you read peoples posts. The bands he posted are clearly not electronic, a keyboard with FX along side a 3 piece band is not electronic.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@animasta: Thats really weird that you like Justice but not Daft Punk, considering how influenced they are from them.

Cross really sounds like Daft Punk lent them their equipment setup from the Discovery Album, not that that's a bad thing =)

There's even the (crazy) conspiracy theorists that believe Justice in a front for Daft Punk's Thomas Bangalter, because their sound is so alike.

Fantastic album though.

No Caption Provided

yates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@animasta said:

Sorry, I never got why Daft Punk was so loved

Justice - cross is the best electronic album ever made and everything I've heard from DP was second rate compared

Justice pretty much bit their style from Discovery which came about 6 years before it. Not hating though, I do like that Justice album but I don't get how you can completely dismiss Daft Punk.

But anyway... I'm looking forward to a new Daft Punk album but I really hope they do something fresh with it, not really digging the generic disco track over this advert.

Hawkerace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Hawkerace

@yates said:

@animasta said:

Sorry, I never got why Daft Punk was so loved

Justice - cross is the best electronic album ever made and everything I've heard from DP was second rate compared

Justice pretty much bit their style from Discovery which came about 6 years before it. Not hating though, I do like that Justice album but I don't get how you can completely dismiss Daft Punk.

But anyway... I'm looking forward to a new Daft Punk album but I really hope they do something fresh with it, not really digging the generic disco track over this advert.

I like to think that Cross will stand the test of time, its scratchy, distorted but has great passion and pace especially good keyboard work. It really is a good album, except fuck that Stress song, the title is too relevant. AVD was a huge disappointment though, it wasn't bad it just wasn't memorable to me. It was mixed into their old sets live, and it just really didn't wow me. Seen them at MGS a few times over the years, just bored watching them and Gaspard is way too plastered at most gigs he is at. I prefere there productions & solo work a bit more than AVD. Also their Planisphere EP is a very good listen if you have the time, and don't know about it. Plus their documentary is hilarious and I recommend any fans to watch it. Goofy shit.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By MarkWahlberg

I only have a superficial exposure to Daft Punk, but they A) were the only good part of Tron, and B) That song 'Alive' is kind of my jam, so... I'm down for the funk.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#78  Edited By reisz

@aegon said:

Gimme dat electro fauwwwnk.

Hopefully they can set some good new trends with the next album.

This is the best possible scenario.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also just realized that Glitch Mob is starting to tease a possible new album on their twitter. It's going to be a good year for electronica/techno/house.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HOW THE HELL DID I MISS THIS?! HYPE!

@aegon said:

Finally! I can't get into a lot of modern electronic music, what with their "dubs" and "steps". The music playing in the ad is more my speed. Gimme dat electro fauwwwnk.

Hopefully they can set some good new trends with the next album.

@pr1mus said:

I should listen to Daft Punk.

I like electro music, a lot and somehow never really listened to any of their albums. If it doesn't have a video that played on TV on the music channel back when music channels used to play music i didn't hear it. What i did hear i liked though.

So yeah i should listen to some Daft Punk.

Loading Video...

You should all just watch the entirety of Interstella 5555 cuz it's just the backdrop for their Discovery album (one of my favorite all time albums). Human After All was an ok album, didn't do much for me but they did make for great mash ups in their Alive 2007 mixes. I can't wait for the new album, I'm liking what I'm hearing.

Loading Video...

And I'm just throwing this in here just cuz. Their soundtrack made that movie for me, I wouldn't have given a slightest shit about it if it wasn't for the soundtrack.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the impact of Daft Punk is lost on me after listening to both Infected Mushroom and LCD Soundsystem.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neat!

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By MetalGearSunny

God, we know!

It's like this has been a breaking news story every single day. I can't wait to hear it, too, but until then, please stop guyssssss

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty said:

the impact of Daft Punk is lost on me after listening to both Infected Mushroom and LCD Soundsystem.

GOAL OF THE WEEK: i am going to check out lcd soundsystem. i've mostly dabbled, but everything i've ever heard i've really enjoyed. it's one of my blindspots, though. it's been sitting on my harddrive since that first record, and still i procrastinate. 'all my friends' i legitimately think is one of the GREAT SONGS of our lifetime.

@sooty said:

Infected Mushroom

SRY I CAN'T HEAR U OVER THE SOUND OF BONG RIPS. JK JK JK JK!!

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#85  Edited By Winternet

Kneel before the electro gods that are Daft Punk.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daft Punk is some the most boring repetitive techno crap out there. It's no better than any club music, just the same 2 or 3 beats over and over and over and over again. If experience with electronica is Daft Punk you're missing out. I'd listen to good dubstep any day over Daft Punk.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By mellotronrules

@deathstriker666 said:

Daft Punk is some the most boring repetitive techno crap out there. It's no better than any club music, just the same 2 or 3 beats over and over and over and over again. If experience with electronica is Daft Punk you're missing out. I'd listen to good dubstep any day over Daft Punk.

WUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUB-WUB-WUB-WUB-WUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUB

edit: hay look wat i found! WE ALL WIN!

Loading Video...

edit 2: also relevant-

No Caption Provided

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never really listened to Daft Punk, I should do that sometime.

daedelus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By jewunit

I hadn't realized that Daft Punk hasn't released anything since 2007. I definitely have a reverence for Daft Punk and am looking forward to whatever is next for them.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it weird that I listened to that clip at least 30 times today ?

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Aegon
TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

YEA!!!!!!

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Can someone explain why Daft Punk has such a huge following? I've heard their music and it's definitely cool, but what's with the consensus that they're like the greatest thing to happen to electronic music?

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can someone explain why Daft Punk has such a huge following? I've heard their music and it's definitely cool, but what's with the consensus that they're like the greatest thing to happen to electronic music?

here's my two cents- anyone is free to chime in and call me out if i'm full of it-

1) they're enigmatic. they pretty much haven't shown their faces for over a decade, and they release music and tour very sporadically. they're similar to burial in that respect...they build hype by remaining mysterious, and they've got the whole pageantry of alter-personas down to a science.

2) they've released only 3 records. the first one was a very influential and respected house record, and the second was almost like a classic prog rock record in that it had an overriding theme and accompanying movie. the second record was also fairly original in it's reappropriation of disco and funk for use in a house record. the third record was fairly divisive (i enjoyed it, but don't blame those who don't)- but people are somewhat revisionist having seen those songs performed live and being all "o- i like it now!"

3) their live show is a spectacle- amazing visuals, and they're masters of taking their old samples across their career and reincorporating them into something new.

i'll fully acknowledge that people have a tendency to go overboard with the love- but just really enjoy them. i think they have incredible taste, and a really good sense of performance. just one man's opinion, however.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By MariachiMacabre

They're pioneers of the genre. Most modern artists in the genre are open about the influence Daft Punk has had on them. And their music is rad as hell.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love me some Daft Punk, so likely this should be beyond awesome. Hopefully they start crankin' some new tunes soon.

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By NiKva

So... what's going on? Is there a new album coming out or something?