• 59 results
Food

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Food

Okay I agree with you.  I thought we were debating something else.  It sounded like you thought that democracy referred only to the voting process and were not aware that of the form of government that has existed, at least conceptually, for thousands of years.

But yeah, a real democracy has thus far proven to be a pipe dream.  Even in the original Greek democracies women and slaves weren't allowed to vote.  With modern human rights and the internet it could conceivably become a reality (if you could somehow ensure that 100% of the population had internet access) but even then I don't think it would be brought about by the will of a majority.  Actually I don't think anything has ever been brought about by the will of a majority, but that's another argument.

justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By justinnotjason
@daniel_beck_90 said:
" Wow , I just can not believe you said that . Why do you think many consider United States of America as the number one country  ? That is simply because USA is the greatest democracy in the world and even though the American people can not choose every person of power by voting , their ability to choose their governor and president is quite enough . Democracy has proven to be effective and there are millions of examples that can back this up . "
Can't believe I just said what?
The truth is the USA is a Republic, or if you feel the need to say the word democracy, a Representative Democracy.

There was no disrespect in what I said towards the US, and saying that the US is a Republic doesn't detract from Democracy.
Frankly the reason it's a republic and not a democracy is due to the fact that a true Democracy would not be feasible in Modern Day America (or most modern countries for that matter).

I'm actually not sure what you were getting at with your post.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#53  Edited By Red12b

You say you want a revolution
Well you know
We'd all want to change the world
You tell me that it's evolution
Well you know
But when you talk about destruction
Don't you know that you can count me out
Don't you know it's gonna be alright [x3]

You say you got a real solution
Well you know
We'd all want to see the plan
You ask me for a contribution
Well you know
We're all doing what we can
But if you want money for people with minds that hate
All I can tell you is brother you'll have to wait
Don't you know it's gonna be alright [x4]

You say you'll change the constitution
Well you know
We'd all love to change your head
You tell me it's the institution
Well you know
You better free your mind instead
But if you go carrying pictures of Chairman Mao
You ain't going to make it with anyone anyhow
Don't you know know it's gonna be alright [x3]
Alright [x7]

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#54  Edited By Suicrat
@Red12b: Red12, I LITERALLY said I didn't want a Revolution earlier in this thread by referring to that song!

@donwoogie:
Whoa now, don, I ain't the subject of Lennon's "You say you want a Revolution"

I was just saying democracy on its own is formless
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#55  Edited By Red12b

@ Suicrat
But You say you want a revolution
Well you know
You tell me that it's evolution
Well you know
But when you talk about destruction
Don't you know that you can count me out
Don't you know it's gonna be alright [x3]

Look dude, Sure you are right, Democracy is not a form of government as its been said earlier, It is a way of deciding a government.
If you want to argue your point about people being stupid fine, but we get it, if you want to argue that democracy is flawed, sure I agree with you. But at least you can have freedom of speech, (I might not agree with your comments, But I will defend to my death your right to say something stupid).

What do you want to argue?
If you are referring to the electoral collage which is not a popularity vote, and therefore vote in someone that lost the popularity vote (ala Bush)

I mean basically you are whinging that people don’t care enough to figure out how voting and how the branches of government operate. As I said before people are stupid. And when you have something you don’t care for it, but when you don’t have something you want it. The grass is always greener.

R JT Beijer

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Suicrat
@Red12b: This is not a qualitative thread, nor it isn't examining any particular form of government. I don't care about the electoral college of the United States, I don't care about what a vote really means. My point in this thread, which is now pretty old, was for people to understand that democracy is not what people think it is. Whether that is good or bad is not the point of this thread at all.

The discussion about whether one theoretical form of government is better than another cannot be had until the terms are defined clearly, this thread is an attempt to help people what democracy means, and how it means so many different things to so many people that to derive a structure from it is in every way impossible.
Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Kou_Leifoh

Democracy is a self-government, the voice of the people of the nation.

Robo_Zuul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58  Edited By Robo_Zuul

Human language is insufficient for describing something as complex as "government", in the sense of all it's functioning and non-function aspects are represented.  It is true that the United States systems of governance are referred to as "democratic".  We of, course, understand this to be a false, in so much as it fails to define how the government functions; but, rather, describes the method for which authority is given.

The preceding logic seems sound; however, the argument fails to identify the proper use of the term in question.  In this instance people at large are using "democracy" as a title more than as an adjective.  This is a function of language.  We distill notions down to simple terms to communicate them faster and more efficiently with one another.  If we had to have philosophical dissertations every time we spoke, we would never reach the intended subject.

Over time these titles can come to mean vastly different things in different contexts.  The word "King", for example, describes a number of different roles in government depending on the context.  The King of England derives his authority from and executes his power much differently than, say, The Zulu King.  While they occupy similar positions, conceptually, there are many more things implicit when discussing the titles in their given context.

Ancient Greek "Democracy" and Canadian "Democracy" are, like the title above, two similar, but, distinct forms of government in so much as they are titles that describe complex working systems.  

Underground, in cities that have waste-water management systems, we describe the series of tunnels as "sewers", but, in reality it is a series of storm-drains, grey-water leakage systems, water table management, and fecal matter disposal.  All systems are interconnected and "sewer" fails to describe all accurately, but it is necessary for the human language to create these linguistic distillations.

I would encourage you to develop your own term that you feel more accurately describes systems of government; but, sadly, colloquial language has already selected "democracy" as the appropriate label for the whole of western governmental systems.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Suicrat
@Robo_Zuul: I'm not opposed to the existence of the word 'democracy', I don't think the English language should get rid of any of its words, but while you're coming near the crux of my point, you're a little off the mark. If democracy was simply a glib or neutral descriptor of a word without the disarming weight it currently holds, I wouldn't make this thread, but it's because people see it as an object of value, or a particular set of virtues or principles to uphold, then they often lose a basis point from which to criticize government.

Take for example, a person who would refer to their political disposition as 'democratic', but be opposed to the Supreme Court of California's decision to uphold the gay marriage ban. A person who sees democracy as the object of primary value while believing homosexuals should have the right to marry will lose an ideological premise from which to criticize this decision.

Since democratic will contradicted their own will, they are left to make undemocratic arguments (like how it was unfair for the Mormon church to exercise its right to freedom of speech) instead of coming to the principled realization that the constitutional, structural, and moral basis for a judicial branch of government is to dispose of laws that negate individual rights, something that has nothing to do with anyone's notion of democracy, or its influence on forms of government, and that the court had a responsibility to overturn the ban, regardless of majority will, regardless of any notion of 'democracy'.