Did anyone else see that article get pulled off Kotaku today?

• 160 results
murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By murisan

@AngelN7: Seriously. This escalated and turned quite quickly.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By napalm

@Turambar said:

@Napalm said:

@iAmJohn said:

@EvilKatarn said:

And what's wrong with Gundam?

Because they, like the rest of his stories, have nothing to do with video games?

To be fair, Kotaku hasn't been a true videogame news website since a couple of years ago.

To be extra fair, a life size statue of a Gundam should be relevant to everything.

To be tripley fair: shut up.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By TentPole

Twisted Metal came out on valentine's day and Jaffe said that his game is sooo good that if you play it with your girlfriend she will love you for it. He goes onto say that if you let her when you will even get a blowjob. The crux of the joke is that his game is both super good (in his entirely unbiased opinion) and coming out on valentine's day. Stupid but hardly offensive in context.

bonafide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#104  Edited By bonafide

I knew there was a good reason I stopped reading them. Besides the on-and-off off-putting articles (for me anyway).

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#105  Edited By Ace829

@Arker101 said:

It won't be a nail in the coffin*. Jim Sterling put up an article a few days ago about PS3 users being more sophisticated, and Destructiod isn't going under. I didn't actually read the story, so maybe it was a joke headline. That seems on the same level as this, to me at least.

*Unless you'r talking about Kotakus reputation, in which case, whatever, this isn't bringing anything new to the table on what they're all about.

The story was actually about a game designer and a rep under Sony saying PS3 users are more sophisticated because art games sell better there. (Flower, Journey, The Path etc) The only thing that would be considered trollish (whatever the fuck that means) is the jab against PS3 fanboys which isn't bad as far as I'm concerned.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By TentPole

@Ace829: What is The Path and why have I not heard of it?

Edit: I just remembered this site has a wiki. So my question is did it ever come out on PS3?

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#107  Edited By Turambar
@Napalm said:

@Turambar said:

@Napalm said:

@iAmJohn said:

@EvilKatarn said:

And what's wrong with Gundam?

Because they, like the rest of his stories, have nothing to do with video games?

To be fair, Kotaku hasn't been a true videogame news website since a couple of years ago.

To be extra fair, a life size statue of a Gundam should be relevant to everything.

Are you saying life size statues of giant robots are not relevant to all areas of life? D:
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By napalm

@Turambar said:

@Napalm said:

@Turambar said:

Are you saying life size statues of giant robots are not relevant to all areas of life? D:

No, you fucking creep.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#109  Edited By Ace829

@TentPole said:

Woah I just got my facts mixed up. It's actually a PC/Mac only game, but yeah it's basically one of those art games that try to convey a message to you in some sort of weird way. I wasn't a big fan of it personally.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TentPole said:

The Path is great. I didn't know it was out for anything, but the PC. But it has eerie dreamlike atmosphere and a really great cast that raises a lot of interesting philosophical questions. The implications of the Wolf, Grandma and everything else in it is really thought provoking.

However, it's more a "game" in the sense of Dinner Date and Dear Esther than anything else

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By AngelN7

@Arker101 said:

@AngelN7 said:

@Arker101 said:

It won't be a nail in the coffin*. Jim Sterling put up an article a few days ago about PS3 users being more sophisticated, and Destructiod isn't going under. I didn't actually read the story, so maybe it was a joke headline. That seems on the same level as this, to me at least.

*Unless you'r talking about Kotakus reputation, in which case, whatever, this isn't bringing anything new to the table on what they're all about.

Actually that article had to do with Journey and Thatgamecompany games being kinda succesfull there, he doesn't take long saying that they may be "sophisticated" (not really) but a lot of them act like insecure childs when criticized that's really lightweight for some other stuff that he writtes really, but I've never take Destructoid for being shady and click-whores like Kotaku.

That's not as bad as I though then, but with the way "console fanboy-ism" works, that article seemed manufactured for page hits. In general I actually enjoy Destructoid, but it seems that a lot of the time Jim Sterling makes topics that come off a bit hyperbolic. Kotaku is the leader in the shady department for sure, but I think the weird nothingtodowithgames articles would hurt that site far more then console wars ones would.

Yeah he's really into contrarian arguments and such but under all that there's a genuine and interesting opinion on some games , to me his writting comes off as made by a real life human troll so it doesn't bother me that much when he says something "shocking" or something to cause anger.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Arker101

@AngelN7 said:

@Arker101 said:

@AngelN7 said:

@Arker101 said:

Actually that article had to do with Journey and Thatgamecompany games being kinda succesfull there, he doesn't take long saying that they may be "sophisticated" (not really) but a lot of them act like insecure childs when criticized that's really lightweight for some other stuff that he writtes really, but I've never take Destructoid for being shady and click-whores like Kotaku.

That's not as bad as I though then, but with the way "console fanboy-ism" works, that article seemed manufactured for page hits. In general I actually enjoy Destructoid, but it seems that a lot of the time Jim Sterling makes topics that come off a bit hyperbolic. Kotaku is the leader in the shady department for sure, but I think the weird nothingtodowithgames articles would hurt that site far more then console wars ones would.

Yeah he's really into contrarian arguments and such but under all that there's a genuine and interesting opinion on some games , to me his writting comes off as made by a real life human troll so it doesn't bother me that much when he says something "shocking" or something to cause anger.

Exactly. Jim's been doing it for a while, and as far as I know he's doing just fine. Totilo making one aritcle focused on console wars, while not the best example of games journalism, certainly isn't the most controversial thing to hit the internet. The most shocking thing to me is that they took down the article at all.

Heh, Kotaku might have standards of quality.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Turambar
@CountMacula said:

@Turambar said:

@CountMacula said:

@Crixaliz said:

@Trilogy said:

@MonetaryDread said:

@Doctorchimp said:

All I know is David Jaffe let Stephen Totilo know everything he thought about Kotaku, and that's good enough for me.

Damn that was a great listen. Go David Jaffe.

What was all of that over? I need a little context here. I'm so out of of the loop with all this Kotaku stuff since I never visit their site.

I would also like to know what they wrote about Jaffe

From what I recall, he said something stupid in the heat of the moment on Gametrailers during the lead up to Twisted Metal's release along the lines of "If your girlfriend beats you at TM, you'll be getting a blowjob for sure" (really paraphrasing there), and a new reporter at Kotaku called him a misogynist, and then in a follow up story where he tries to apologise and say how he fucked up, she basically cut up a bunch of the quotes. I'm a bit hazy on the details, but I remember that comment getting totally blown out of proportion.

There was some twitter war stuff between him and Leigh Alexander where she drunkenly tweeted that if she had worked on the game, she'd pretend she didn't out of embarrassment (not based on his blowjob comment, but on the game itself) which ended up getting pulled into the misogyny shitshow.

Specific to the original statement made by Jaffee, I can definitely see how it can be interpreted as misogynistic, and I have little issue with someone calling him out on that. Though since I have not heard anything about the follow up story, I'll leave my incomplete opinion off here.

I agree, (which is why i said it was stupid), but the difference is the way in which he was called out. As someone mentioned earlier, it was less of a "hey, what he said can be interpreted as offensive to women, we should all be a bit more careful" informative article and more of a "David Jaffe endorses misogyny! Someone needs to rescue his daughters from this monster" trashy attention grabbing article. And then the follow up crap shoot occurred leading to his outburst in the audio file.

One thing that really made me respect him though, was he only bumped into Totilo in the lobby after he finished an interview with the PA Report, and mid rant he actually told Kuchera that he should be recording everything.

Ironically, when Jaffe got to the statement of "It's not misogyny.  Misogyny is mistrust of hatred of women.", I lost another notch of respect for the guy.  If he doesn't realize what he said is can very fairly be interpreted as denigration of women, there's not much that can help him.  That said, how Kotaku has apparently spun the follow up story does not surprise me one bit.
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Turambar
@Napalm said:

@Turambar said:

@Napalm said:

@Turambar said:

No, you fucking creep.

You're gonna have to show your logic path of "giant statues of robots are pretty awesome" and "creep."
Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Arker101 said:

Nah, the article simply didn't have enough pictures of scantily clad cosplayers to satisfy their usual journalistic excellence.

And Jim Sterling's a smart man. He knows exactly which buttons to push to troll and rile up the nerds, resulting in more hits for his shitty website.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By napalm

@Turambar said:

@Napalm said:

@Turambar said:

@Napalm said:

@Turambar said:

No, you fucking creep.

You're gonna have to show your logic path of "giant statues of robots are pretty awesome" and "creep."

You don't know me too well, because I wasn't being serious, but I wasn't the one in that quote train to say, "robot statues are awesome." I prefer mechs, anyway.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#117  Edited By JasonR86

He's 100% right to question the poll. The Wii in a lot of ways blew the competition out of the water this generation. It's not my personal favorite console this generation but in terms of sales, market reach, and innovation the Wii could easily be considered the greatest console among the three. Further, two of the games (Galaxy 1 and 2), were two of the greatest games to have ever been released, if not ever then certainly this generation, and showed that platformers can still innovate in meaningful, incredible ways.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Turambar
@Napalm said:

@Turambar said:

@Napalm said:

@Turambar said:

@Napalm said:

@Turambar said:

No, you fucking creep.

You don't know me too well, because I wasn't being serious, but I wasn't the one in that quote train to say, "robot statues are awesome." I prefer mechs, anyway.

You do realize "you fucking creep" does not allow for a lot of room in terms of interpretation of tone, particularly made in response to something as obviously lighthearted as something regarding giant robots.  Also I am well aware that the comment was made by iAmJohn.  Normally I'd quote you then delete your part of the train, so my bad?
Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Robo

I've been losing interest in their site for a while now. The extended definition of "game culture" didn't bother me at initially but it started being more of the real focus (or lack thereof) for the site. First they were getting a little too obsessed with anime, then the sexy cosplay (ok, maybe I didn't mind that as much), then they just got carried away from there.

Lately their arrow bullshit has really put me off. It's like they said, "Hey, a lot of you complained that we were constantly going on tangents that had little or nothing to do with games or game culture...so we decided to do it MORE, only now on a schedule with arrows highlighting which tangent we're on."

There's Kotaku "core" now but I believe that simply illustrates my point. When the original focus of your site has become a small, hidden branch, you probably need to pull it back a little.

Add to all that the Gawker-style of "journalism" creeping in again a little more and you have a recipe for a fairly shitty experience.

@JasonR86: To be fair, the Wii "blew the competition out of the water" largely because it was aimed squarely at a market outside of the one the 360, PS3, and PC were fighting over. Add to that the lower price of entry many a kid undoubtedly cited in their request for one as a Christmas/birthday gift and the draw of nostalgia that brought many of those 360, PS3, and PC owners in as well (like me) and yeah, they'd have to screw something up royally not to do well.

It's like saying Taco Bell is significantly more popular and successful than Chili's. Of course. I can drive 2 minutes away and grab some shitty cheap "Mexican" food a lot easier than my 30 minute drive to the nearest Chili's for some more expensive yet not necessarily significantly better "Mexican" food. And unless Taco Bell is busted for mixing fecal matter mixing more than the limit of fecal matter into their ground beef, they will continue to do so regardless of the actual quality.

donfonzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By donfonzie

@Doctorchimp said:

All I know is David Jaffe let Stephen Totilo know everything he thought about Kotaku, and that's good enough for me.

My respect for David Jaffe gained a level after hearing that.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Arker101

@TeflonBilly said:

@Arker101 said:

Nah, the article simply didn't have enough pictures of scantily clad cosplayers tosatisfy their usual jurnalistic excellence.

And Jim Sterling's a smart man. He knows exactly which buttons to push to troll and rile up the nerds, resulting in more hits for his shitty website.

Some of his articles do have a tidbit of interesting data in them, like that the devs of Flower and Journey think that the PS3 audience is more in tune with their games, but saying "PS3 owners are more sophisticated." is just asking for trouble. I read that comments section, and it was exactly what I expected. He just seems to really enjoy riling up the internet.

One time I showed my friend my Pulse account (it gives you headline news from various websites) and he compared every other video game sites articles to Kotakus. It didn't stack up well. It was funny, but sad.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By TentPole

@Turambar said:

Ironically, when Jaffe got to the statement of "It's not misogyny. Misogyny is mistrust of hatred of women.", I lost another notch of respect for the guy. If he doesn't realize what he said is can very fairly be interpreted as denigration of women, there's not much that can help him. That said, how Kotaku has apparently spun the follow up story does not surprise me one bit.

@TentPole said:

Twisted Metal came out on valentine's day and Jaffe said that his game is sooo good that if you play it with your girlfriend she will love you for it. He goes onto say that if you let her when you will even get a blowjob. The crux of the joke is that his game is both super good (in his entirely unbiased opinion) and coming out on valentine's day. Stupid but hardly offensive in context.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Turambar
@Arker101 said:

@AngelN7 said:

@Arker101 said:

@AngelN7 said:

@Arker101 said:

Exactly. Jim's been doing it for a while, and as far as I know he's doing just fine. Totilo making one aritcle focused on console wars, while not the best example of games journalism, certainly isn't the most controversial thing to hit the internet. The most shocking thing to me is that they took down the article at all.

Well, the OP's assertion was that Totilo put up that article but used a referral link to source the poll without making clear that clicking on said link would be benefiting Totilo personally.
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Turambar
@TentPole said:

@Turambar said:

Ironically, when Jaffe got to the statement of "It's not misogyny. Misogyny is mistrust of hatred of women.", I lost another notch of respect for the guy. If he doesn't realize what he said is can very fairly be interpreted as denigration of women, there's not much that can help him. That said, how Kotaku has apparently spun the follow up story does not surprise me one bit.

@TentPole said:

No, I'd say regardless of context, I can still find that specific phrase offensive.  Not to mention Jaffe's recorded line is specifically that regardless of that interpretation of what he said, it would still not be misogynistic because it doesn't fall under the definition he laid out, which is kind of bananas.
BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By BrockNRolla

@PandaBear said:

Well no ... I don't think they'll be out of business. I meant more on a personal/credibility level. Lies and rumours ... it's worse than Destructoid.

You may or may not like Destructoid, but they don't claim to have any real air of professional legitimacy. Kotaku publishes total bullshit, things which are false or things that are barely tangentially related to videogames, all day long. I stopped going there about a year ago.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#126  Edited By 71Ranchero

@dudeglove said:

Also, someone, like, just get rid of Tim Rogers. Just delete him off the internet and never speak of him again.

HA! I have been saying this for a decade and he is still around and gaining steam. Rogers is so full of Hipster BS and "new age journalism" that it makes Patrick look like an IGN editor,

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TentPole said:

The real question is: what happens when I play Twisted Metal on Steak and a Blowjob Day?

CountMacula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By CountMacula

@allworkandlowpay said:

@TentPole said:

The real question is: what happens when I play Twisted Metal on Steak and a Blowjob Day?

You get the Ur-Blowjob.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By TentPole

@Turambar: The definition he laid is not so bananas since it is in fact the actual definition.

Also if a blowjob doesn't happen on valentine's day (twisted metal or no) then things have gone terribly wrong.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Turambar
@TentPole said:

@Turambar: The definition he laid is not so bananas since it is in fact the actual definition.

Also if a blowjob doesn't happen on valentine's day (twisted metal or no) then things have gone terribly wrong.

No, because his definition somehow does not include denigration of, which is in fact bananas.
TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By TentPole

@Turambar: Oral sex hasn't been denegration since the 50's.

@CountMacula said:

You get the Ur-Blowjob.

The more I think about the implications of this the more I am disturbed:

"all players who inflict damage on the Ur-Dragon will receive great spoils. The person who inflicts the final blow will receive the greatest reward of all"

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Turambar
@TentPole said:

Commenting if you let your girlfriend beat you at video games, it'll trick her into putting out can certainly be fairly interpreted as denigration.
TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By TentPole

@Turambar said:

@TentPole said:

Commenting if you let your girlfriend beat you at video games, it'll trick her into putting out can certainly be fairly interpreted as denigration.

He said if you let her win she would give you a blow job, But he never said (or implied) it was to trick her.

Those are you words and it is fucking wrong to put them in someone else's mouth.

He didn't mean that you should trick women into giving you sexual favors, and you and Kotaku fucking know it.

CountMacula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By CountMacula

@TentPole said:

@CountMacula said:

You get the Ur-Blowjob.

The more I think about the implications of this the more I am disturbed:

"all players who inflict damage on the Ur-Dragon will receive great spoils. The person who inflicts the final blow will receive the greatest reward of all"

I think the cause of death on the coroner's report would be fluid loss.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Turambar
@TentPole said:

@Turambar said:

@TentPole said:

He said if you let her win she would give you a blow job, But he never said (or implied) it was to trick her.

Those are you words and it is fucking wrong to put them in someone else's mouth.

He didn't mean that you should trick women into giving you sexual favors, and you and Kotaku fucking know it.

Oh, I'm certain it wasn't actually his intention, though I do believe it was phrased in a very dumb way so as to allow people to make that interpretation, hence the reason why he gave an apology later in the first place  (though I wouldn't be sure Kotaku's writers do). However the content of that recorded conversation has him stating what he said would not fall under misogyny even if interpreted with such meaning, which essentially has him endorsing a definition of misogyny that is kind of bananas.
superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By superfriend

That site seems to be more about shitty japanophile stuff than regular videogame stories these days.. Idk maybe that was the point of the site before, but lately I feel like it has gotten out of hand.

If he put up that article because it would get him some shady money.. well, it kind confirms my suspicions that they´ve hit rock bottom.

They even tried to put more of their sister site´s content on their page. Well, I deleted any bookmarks I had left and don´t really care about that place now.

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#137  Edited By striderno9

Just like Gizmodo, Kotaku is losing readers and has decided that being more off topic will help differentiate them from the growing competition. Unfortunately for them, they're terrible at that as well. Thanks for bringing that Jaffe sound bite to my attention, he's the man for calling them out like that.

Avatar image for deactivated-63e816891732d
deactivated-63e816891732d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do you guys hate Destructoid so much? I like to look at them sometimes, they're nowhere NEAR as terrible as Kotaku. Crecente leaving was the final straw for me.

Also, I quit Kotaku and went straight to Giant Bomb around last December. Love this place <3

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Arker101

@Turambar: Oh...well yeah, that's way super shittier then articles designed for page hits. That's not shady, that's just a jerk move.

I didn't realize that, sorry for my reading comprehension.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By SlightConfuse

I09 and deadspin are the only gawker sites worth visiting.

Owen good is the only redeming thing about kotaku

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Turambar
@Arker101 said:

@Turambar: Oh...well yeah, that's way super shittier then articles designed for page hits. That's not shady, that's just a jerk move.

Well, the thing is, as far as I can tell, Totilo has always been pretty much the most stand up staffer at Kotaku.  Part of me would very much like to believe that this was just a complete error on his part.  But the fact that the article was completely taken down, and not just altered as far as the source link went makes me doubt that.
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By CptBedlam

I see no problem whatsoever. He complained that the competition leaves out the Wii, so what?

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By BraveToaster

Console wars are fucking pathetic.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

God that site has become a embarassment. I just hope GB starts covering more news so I dont have an excuse to go their. All the "Japanese coverage" is 99% about cosplay and dating sims for dudes who are into cripples.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Arker101

@Turambar said:

@Arker101 said:

Well, the thing is, as far as I can tell, Totilo has always been pretty much the most stand up staffer at Kotaku. Part of me would very much like to believe that this was just a complete error on his part. But the fact that the article was completely taken down, and not just altered as far as the source link went makes me doubt that.

Unless they release something saying otherwise, it really does look like it. It's not like he's making his millions off of this, but that's still dirty.

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

God that site has become a embarassment. I just hope GB starts covering more news so I dont have an excuse to go their. All the "Japanese coverage" is 99% about cosplay and dating sims for dudes who are into cripples.

Wasn't there something about dating pigeons as well? Maybe it was a pigeon simulator or something. That's the weirdest one I can remember, but not the creepiest.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#146  Edited By Hailinel
@SlightConfuse
I09 and deadspin are the only gawker sites worth visiting.

Owen good is the only redeming thing about kotaku
Owen Good is one of the worst they have, you mean.
SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By SlightConfuse

@Hailinel: i like his sports stuff, what problem do you have with him?

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Matfei90

I haven't browsed Kotaku in a few years now. Feels good.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By BrockNRolla

@dudeglove said:

@Doctorchimp said:

Okay I now dislike less (edit: sorry, typo) Jaffe after hearing that rant.

That was exactly my thought after listening to that. Well, minus the typo.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By MikeGosot
@BrockNRolla said:

@dudeglove said:

@Doctorchimp said:

Okay I now dislike less (edit: sorry, typo) Jaffe after hearing that rant.

That was exactly my thought after listening to that. Well, minus the typo.

Could someone explain to me what is the story behind this? I couldn't hear that very well.