Difference between 720p and 1080p

TheGamerFix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By TheGamerFix

Hey I've been thinking of getting a nice HDTV for my ps3 and I've found some relatively cheap televisions that I am interested in however they do not have 1080p support as their resolutions are only 1366x768 pixels, I'm wondering if I should save up more money for a 1080p tv or if I should just get a 720p television, I have heard that the quality difference between 720p and 1080p televsions only becomes appearent in a 50inch+ television. The 2 televisions I'm looking at are 26 inch or 32 inch. I need advice please help!! 

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

For a TV that size, don't waste money on 1080p, you won't be able to see the difference.  Only worry about 1080p on 50"+ displays.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Meowayne

Oh he will be able to see the difference on a 32" TV alright, but I don't think the difference is worth the money. So, yeah, what MB said: Go with 720p.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By crunchUK

what they said. it's all very complicated though. there's the native resolution of the game, of your screen, of what you set the resolution to...

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mike
Meowayne said:
"Oh he will be able to see the difference on a 32" TV alright, but I don't think the difference is worth the money. So, yeah, what MB said: Go with 720p."
Sure you'll be able to see a difference, if your face is 10" away from the screen.
Avatar image for deactivated-64c89b592b282
deactivated-64c89b592b282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 38

TheGamerFix said:
"I have heard that the quality difference between 720p and 1080p televsions only becomes appearent in a 50inch+ television."
The people that say you can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p are confusing 720p with 1080i.
There is a significant difference between 720p and 1080p on a 26" TV, if you were asking what we thought about 1080i vs 1080p then you might only be able to tell the difference if the TV was larger than 50".
Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Demilich
MB said:
"For a TV that size, don't waste money on 1080p, you won't be able to see the difference.  Only worry about 1080p on 50"+ displays."
Actually 1080p is native to a display around 24" inches at 16:10. So it's an upgrade over 720p at anything higher. You're right if you mean the difference is more noticeable at 50"+, but I'd say 40"+.
LooM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LooM
MB said:
"For a TV that size, don't waste money on 1080p, you won't be able to see the difference.  Only worry about 1080p on 50"+ displays."
blasphemy.. I can easily tell the difference of 1080p on a screen from 24-5x.. I got a 46" inch full HD bravia, and I can by far see the difference..
I hate this retarded myth, that you can't see the difference unless the size of the screen is bigger than xx"..
Try putting your monitor settings at 800x640 instead of your current setting, and tell me you can't see the difference, if that's the case, you need both logical sense refinement AND glasses! :P
when a 1080p signal can be produced.. there are few games, and all Blu-rays, you can see a drastic sharpning of clarity and effects..
remember, 1080p has twice as many pixels as 720p..

Edit: I might add, if you plan on ever watching Blu-ray.. I'd reckon you throw in the extra bucks,  it's worth it
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mike

46 is pretty close to 50 man, you know what I meant.  It's all about how far away you are from the screen, and the source of the content you're watching.  This is coming from someone who has owned at least 6 different HDTV's, currently I have a Pioneer Elite Plasma and a Sharp Aquos 52" 1080P LCD. 

DeadlyPain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By DeadlyPain

I would say for the 720p, like the others said, don't worry about 1080p on a 32"
don't forget, higher the resolution on a smaller screen, makes it more difficult to read the writing xD lol

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Sorry but its a simple fact MB is right you are not gonna be able to tell a difference between 720p and 1080p unless you are sitting closer and closer to your screen.

@loom you mention computer monitors and how far away do you sit away from yours? do you lounge back on your couch 10 feet from your 21 inch computer monitor? at a high resolution? no you dont.

As for that the difference is mostly money your gonna pay out the ass for 1080p at most any size compared to 720p, oh and preformance most games trying to hit 720p and higher just start to chug in development causing for them to scale back.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Otacon

If you saw two 32" TV's next to each other, one 720p the other 1080p you could probably tell the difference. That difference however is not worth a lot more money when you are talking TV's of that size.

LooM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LooM

same image.. One is actually 50% smaller than the other, although it's been scaled out to fit the same size..
If you have an image produced the same size, yet natively one of them is higher on any given screen, you WILL see the difference..

caption
caption

caption
caption

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By Kazona
LooM said:
"same image.. One is actually 50% smaller than the other, although it's been scaled out to fit the same size..
If you have an image produced the same size, yet natively one of them is higher on any given screen, you WILL see the difference..
Umm maybe I'm blind, but I really don't see any noticable difference between those two images.
LooM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LooM

btw - if you're planning on buying  26-32" inch tele, you have a hard time finding a 1080p, unless you're going for a monitor.. 32" 1080p tv's haven't been around for a long time, and they are quite expensive, compared to larger 1080p tv's.. so in that sense it probably would be wiser just to get a cheap 720p.. as a 32" 1080p cost around the same as a 40"

DeadlyPain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By DeadlyPain
Kazona said:
"LooM said:
"same image.. One is actually 50% smaller than the other, although it's been scaled out to fit the same size..
Umm maybe I'm blind, but I really don't see any noticable difference between those two images."

same lol - the top one looks like it has "slighty" better colour quality, but other then that, i can't really see any noticable difference......
Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Relys

I have a 40" Bravia XBR, and I can easily tell if it's displaying in 720p or 1080p.

It only really matters when you're trying to compare 1080i to 1080p.

You might as well invest in a really nice TV.